PDA

View Full Version : How to convince your parents to...

403Gemini
10-13-2003, 07:30 PM
How do i convince my parents that i want a 88 crx. 88crxs' sellin his car and i want it, i know its in good condition and been looked after but my parents are being dinks.t hey want me to get something shittier (like a cavalier *GAG* ) cause its newer... argh pissing me off so much.

i need valid arguments not "no tha cavalier su><0rz!!!!! "

xDiMSuMx
10-13-2003, 07:34 PM
my parents hated my crx

i just went out and bought it anyways

girlRACER
10-13-2003, 07:35 PM
I have a feeling this thread will get condescending and negative comments from people so typical of this forum who disapprove of cars being bought by parents :rolleyes:

Just curious though...how much do your parents want to spend? :dunno:

403Gemini
10-13-2003, 07:37 PM
oh they arent buying my car
i have 8 grand and i wanna spend 6000 ish

88CRX
10-13-2003, 07:40 PM
:rofl: nice.

why do they have any say? thats what i told my parents when i told them im selling the crx (they think im crazy)

girlRACER
10-13-2003, 07:40 PM
Originally posted by 403Gemini
oh they arent buying my car
i have 8 grand and i wanna spend 6000 ish

If you're buying it with your own money, why do you need your parents approval? :dunno:

In any case, what criteria are they looking for in a car for you?

403Gemini
10-13-2003, 07:49 PM
well i dont care to much about no backseats, but id wanna get some installed, just incase... you never know.

they have say cause they give me "loans" when my car needs to be repaired. so i usually pay em back, and they dont wanna be spendin money on new parts every few months like they did with my teg... but like i said i know 88crx takes care of his car, and pretty much everything is re-done to the engine

DUBBED
10-13-2003, 07:52 PM
you cant just put seats in the back of a rex... i dont think theres even room...

T5Bird
10-13-2003, 07:53 PM
Sell them on the Honda reliability, and economy.

403Gemini
10-13-2003, 07:56 PM
Originally posted by DUBBED
you cant just put seats in the back of a rex... i dont think theres even room...

get rid of the storage and put em in, its possible, not a lot of room but i dont care

rio_rex
10-13-2003, 07:57 PM
Just buy a crx with your own $$. crx's in releativly good condition go for around 4-5 g's (overpriced, but hey, suppy/demand)
Good excuse are...

plan 1: (buying with own money)

-"I worked for the money, so can't I use the money the way i please??"
-Let them know that you want to be responsible and independent by purchasing your own car, and not be like some rich kid asking mommy and daddy for a car.

plan 2: (asking them to buy for you)

-"For under 5 grand is a cheap realiable car that isn't hard on gas and seats 2 ppl, which is ok if your a student, single, ect..
-crx is cheaper than cavalier
-regardless that its a death trap if you crash, say its a "safe little car"
-"Lots" of people say its a great 1st car, or student car ( we don't need hard facts, just "generalizations"....hehe

Hope this helps...but personally i think buying one urself will be the strongest argument, generally most parents see that as being responsible and understanding that one has to work to get something. And hell, if that doesn't work just do what dimsum said:D :nut:

403Gemini
10-13-2003, 07:58 PM
well i got a loan, and needed my dad to co-sign ... so in a way he helped me i guess so thats why i figure he has "say"

max_boost
10-13-2003, 08:10 PM
I wouldn't even bother buying an old car if repair bills and such are a potential worry. For zero down you can lease so many economy cars for $200/month. Just a thought.......and what's so great about CRX's? Everyone wants one.......hmm......

403Gemini
10-13-2003, 08:11 PM
their light, good handling, and easy on gas... im a student so i dont want to much.

max_boost
10-13-2003, 08:12 PM
their light, good handling, and easy on gas... im a student so i dont want to much. :werd: My car's the same hehe

403Gemini
10-13-2003, 08:15 PM
lol which one? type s or s2000 ? ;)

T5Bird
10-13-2003, 08:15 PM
Originally posted by max_boost
I wouldn't even bother buying an old car if repair bills and such are a potential worry. For zero down you can lease so many economy cars for $200/month. Just a thought.......and what's so great about CRX's? Everyone wants one.......hmm......

You'd have to buy a pretty big pile of shit to need $200 in repairs each month, not mention cheaper insurance, and oh yeah....you OWN it.;)

88CRX
10-13-2003, 08:17 PM
why would he want a crx?

ha... cause there classics...

403Gemini
10-13-2003, 08:19 PM
Originally posted by T5Bird

You'd have to buy a pretty big pile of shit to need $200 in repairs each month, not mention cheaper insurance, and oh yeah....you OWN it.;)

lol sounds like my teg...

pain in the ass, 2nd month i own it: distributor goes... get it "changed" for $8 fuckin hundred (800 lol) and then its faulty and i call em up "hey do you keep reciepts on record" (me being stupid i lost it) "Oh yea kept all of em for the last few years" come down there "oh yea... we got a new computer system... so we only have records for the last year " ... "yea... i got it done about a month ago" ..."oh well... no we dont have it"... fuckers!

now i take my car to a shop who knows what their doing and aren't gonna over charge me by FOUR times what the amount costs! GRRR (stupid lessons learned from a first car hey)

then exhaust sucked, so i got a new one for $600, new clutch for $700, my distributor still isnt fixed, need head gasket fixed... ARGH

so im gettin a REX :D lol since engine only has like 60,000 kms on it its all good (and 88crx changed the engine to "Fix" the head gasket... fixed it with a better engine!!! lol)

rio_rex
10-13-2003, 08:21 PM
there' cheap, and have great aftermarket support, like any other honda. If ya break something, its not too expensive to replace, and one doesn't feel as guilty chopping and modding them, as there old. Best of all with rex u can be fast and look nice with a relatively low budget.:thumbsup:

88CRX
10-13-2003, 08:36 PM
i know......

you show them the money shot :D

http://images.cardomain.com/member_images/6/web/234000-234999/234650_68_full.jpg

rio_rex
10-13-2003, 08:41 PM
do u go to sait 88CRX? Because i think i'v seen ur car in P1.
I normaly park in P1, mines the one with a big dent on the rear quarter panel with a really bad bondo job done by me :D

88CRX
10-13-2003, 08:44 PM
ha... ya thats sweet... i was walking past your car and thought it was sweet... untill i saw the issues on the other side...

lol... its still sweet tho. what happened?

link785
10-13-2003, 08:49 PM
t hey want me to get something shittier (like a cavalier *GAG* ) cause its newer... argh pissing me off so much.

i need valid arguments not &quot;no tha cavalier su&gt;&lt;0rz!!!!! &quot;

If you're a student, looking for a good economy car, a base model cavalier / sunfire is pretty cheap, great on gas, and quite reliable. If you're not going for performance or anything, and I'll assume you'll be selling the car once you're no long a student, what's wrong with something newer? :dunno:

max_boost
10-13-2003, 08:50 PM
This is what I would do:

Keep the $8000 in premium rate savings account
Find a car to lease for 0 down and $200/month
Get a part time job to cover that expense
Get insurance part time under your parent's name to keep the costs down

This way you'll have a brand new car, full warranty, and established good credit for the future. When your lease is up, you have finished school (post secondary), and ready for the next step in life.

My two cents

rio_rex
10-13-2003, 08:51 PM
hey thanks:) . Yeah, back in highschool some asshole backed into my car...hit and run. Oh well, at least i got some practice with bondo, lol. But yeah i need a new quarter panel, hehe. Yeah ur car is sweet too! But why didn't u paint the side plastics? Anyway cool car:thumbsup:

Redlyne_mr2
10-13-2003, 08:51 PM
It's much easier to save up the money for a a $4000 crx than a $17000 civic. True... payments can be low but when youre young life is very unpredictable and who wants to have long term commitments at such a younge age. When financing a car you also have to have it fully insured. Im guessing full insurance on a civic for a 16-18 year old is around 500-600 a month...I know when I was 16 I couldnt afford a 600/month bill for insure. Owning an old car is a great learning experience. Having limited funds forces you to learn how to fix cars on your own which leads to learning how to mod and having even more fun with the vehicle

rio_rex
10-13-2003, 08:54 PM
Originally posted by Redlyne_mr2

It's much easier to save up the money for a a $4000 crx than a $17000 civic. True... payments can be low but when youre young life is very unpredictable and who wants to have long term commitments at such a younge age. When financing a car you also have to have it fully insured. Im guessing full insurance on a civic for a 16-18 year old is around 500-600 a month...I know when I was 16 I couldnt afford a 600/month bill for insure. Owning an old car is a great learning experience. Having limited funds forces you to learn how to fix cars on your own which leads to learning how to mod and having even more fun with the vehicle

nicely said:thumbsup:

EK 2.0
10-13-2003, 08:58 PM
You CAN put seats into CRX's...a buddy of mine did, and they look boss...

max_boost
10-13-2003, 09:02 PM
No one knows his exact situation, I was just merely suggesting options he can consider.

Redlyne_mr2
10-13-2003, 09:10 PM
No one knows his exact situation, I was just merely suggesting options he can consider.
While you were pimpin the sc prelude back in 1998 I was cutting the crap out of hands trying to install an alternator in my nx2000 because I couldnt afford to take it into a shop I remember scrounging up 200 bucks every month to make my insurance payments. I wish I had the bling back then...

Fiery_Ramen
10-13-2003, 09:15 PM
sweet vid clip redlyne

max_boost
10-13-2003, 09:15 PM
Anyone can have the bling, you just need to work harder for it. I know this girl who had a Z3 when she was 16 but had to work three jobs and still got honours in highschool. Depends where your priorities are, when I want something, I go all out until I get it. LOL But that's just me

88CRX
10-13-2003, 09:17 PM
wow... talk about hijack! like 7 conversations at once :D

Fiery_Ramen
10-13-2003, 09:19 PM
lol

403Gemini
10-13-2003, 11:22 PM
lol

max, red, everybody:

thanks :D good advice here. i appreciate all advice, espeically red's and max's.

Max, fantastic advice, but pretty much the CRX will be my project/cruisin car. Right now im mainly going to be workin on speed on it, and just using it as my commuting car, then later when i have a established career ill probably get mroe of a family based car for when i get married (cause when i get career, gettin a house, livin there for about 6 months or so then getting married... since in already engaged heh) and then with the family based car just drive that around for casual, but keep the CRX as project car for speed and styling. Granted not the fastest car, but indeed fun to toot around in and its cheap on gas :) and i love how they look heh.

and red:

Originally posted by Redlyne_mr2

i couldnt say it better. :D

again thanks for advice everybody!

ryder_23
10-14-2003, 12:09 AM
you said in ur other thread u have a fiance, so if your gettin married, did you consult ur parents on that one? cause marrage is alot bigger than buying a car, and since your gettin married, why would ur parents even think about making a decision for u, since u already made a pretty big one. just imo

403Gemini
10-14-2003, 12:43 AM
i agree, but since my dad co-signed for my credit he figures its half his responsibility to see that the money goes to something that isnt gunna crap out on me... but like redlyne stated and i said: due to my integra i've learned A LOT about how to work on hondas... and i know 88CRX has taken care of his car so im not to worried.

fast95pony
10-14-2003, 12:40 PM
Take the car in and have it mechanically checked out.That way you can prove to your dad that you won't be fixing every day.

...Or not....

403Gemini
10-14-2003, 02:04 PM
it doesnt matter, went to the bank today and found out since its a "STUDENT" line of credit it can only be used for school, ARGH they didnt say that when i applyed! bastards! i hate TD! Right now i have a lock on my account CAUSE of this.

sorry 88CRX :( ill keep tryin tho, but if you find a buyer sell to em, i dont wanna keep you waiting :(

88CRX
10-14-2003, 04:30 PM
it doesnt matter, went to the bank today and found out since its a &quot;STUDENT&quot; line of credit it can only be used for school, ARGH they didnt say that when i applyed! bastards! i hate TD! Right now i have a lock on my account CAUSE of this.

sorry 88CRX :( ill keep tryin tho, but if you find a buyer sell to em, i dont wanna keep you waiting :(

fawk! :banghead:

teknical
10-15-2003, 12:46 AM
How do i convince my parents that i want a 88 crx. 88crxs' sellin his car and i want it, i know its in good condition and been looked after but my parents are being dinks.t hey want me to get something shittier (like a cavalier *GAG* ) cause its newer... argh pissing me off so much.

i need valid arguments not &quot;no tha cavalier su&gt;&lt;0rz!!!!! &quot;

Exactly how my parents are! "Older cars = more work involved to keep them running. Get something newer, like a sunfire or cavalier"

lammer
10-15-2003, 09:08 AM
Originally posted by teknical

Exactly how my parents are! &quot;Older cars = more work involved to keep them running. Get something newer, like a sunfire or cavalier&quot;

haha true
cept with my parents they wanted civics and shit
haha but i don't care..
its either i could have been A) a fag to my parents, and not take this car and watned a better one, but still live down in the ghetto by forest lawn
B)move homes and drive whatever the can afford.

i mean house to me is way more important than having a fancy car.

teknical
10-15-2003, 02:25 PM
thats sweet! well my parents are offering to buy me a car, so I guess I can't really complain, I just would rather have something nice, something I can keep for a while, til I can afford a Ford Lightning :D (Dream truck) Or until I get married, then I'll get a family type vehicle.

izzoblitzo
10-16-2003, 05:55 PM
well... I guess it depends... on a side note, buying an older car, especially one thats rather fun to drive or whatever is a realistic goal. But when your comparing new cars to old cars, the new ones obviously are in better shape, or at least have warranty.

I got my cav right outta highschool, it was my first car.. and at the time, it was a lil more than your average used car, but at least it was new, and wasnt too far out of range.

I bought it because I wanted something newer, and I never thought twice about this 'modding' thing. I actually chose the cavalier over the civic hatch because I wanted more room and space. I kept thinkin that after I land a job after post secondary, I'd buy something better.. but now that Im out, and Im working in a good career, I just find myself keepin the cav around and modding that.

Not the first choice, but well, its fun and decent and affordable. But save the money, and buy a house. This hobby is so freakin expensive!

Davetronz
10-16-2003, 06:27 PM
Originally posted by rio_rex
do u go to sait 88CRX? Because i think i'v seen ur car in P1.
I normaly park in P1, mines the one with a big dent on the rear quarter panel with a really bad bondo job done by me :D
Hahaha now this I gotta look for tomorow! :D