PDA

View Full Version : Coop program

rixxx
03-04-2009, 05:25 PM

Ebon
03-04-2009, 10:11 PM
Only thing I know is that 89% of coop students for jobs in 2008 (data was collected prior to economic crisis). 89% of all haskyane students who graduated were employed but doesn't say the proportion of non-coop or coop students.

You should also consider your grades. If they are high you stand a good shot at a job anyways. Although with the economic downturn you might need higher grades or some related work experience to supplement it. If your grades are low, do coop and try to work your way into the company by doing good work while your there.

cressida_pimpin
03-05-2009, 11:47 AM
Check out different job boards, there are alot of accounting jobs. I think you will be able to find something quite easily without doing a co-op. However, if your goal is to work for a big company (in oil and gas for example) doing the co-op program might be exactly what you're looking for because it will get your foot in the door with otherwise tough companies to get hired by.

ralliart_girl
03-05-2009, 11:50 AM
Alot of major companies like to hire their co-op students...I don't think it would ever hurt to do the co-op program, if anything, you can put the experience on your resume.

rc2002
03-05-2009, 11:52 AM
In this kind of market, co-op is a good idea. Graduating with no experience and getting multiple job offers isn't that common anymore.

.civictyper.
03-11-2009, 11:26 AM
Im in co-op, great program, great resume builder, earn hard cash and get out of school for a bit. All positives here. I am going on 16 months work experience :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

ryeguy252
03-12-2009, 09:36 AM
I was in coop dropped out. There is a number of companies, oil and gas, CA firms that hire summer students. Getting a 4month summer job is just as good as coop and you graduate on time as well.

Ebon
03-12-2009, 06:44 PM
^^

Sounds about right but its also dependent on which job your applying for when you graduate. Although at most entry level jobs that 12 months of coop isn't going to get you started in a better position. It does however help you get the job if you have lower grades/no connections/poor interviewing skills, etc.

borN
03-12-2009, 06:54 PM
4 month summer jobs was my plan to go as well, but now with the downturn in the market....good luck finding one :(.

BP had a job posting up earlier this month that usually 20-40 people apply for. This summer, 300-400 people applied apparently. Some investment banks that usually hire undergrads are hiring master students etc...