PDA

View Full Version : where to patch up a chip on windshield?

Boomph
03-04-2009, 08:43 PM
Hey guys I was wondering if anybody have any recommendations for where to patch up a chip on my windshield?

moreover I was wondering if whether patching up chips do any good in future preventions in further cracking?

thanks in advance guys

Boomph
03-05-2009, 10:28 AM
anyone?

jsimmie
03-05-2009, 11:29 AM
I would recomend kings glass on centre street. These guys are very good at what they do and have been in the buisness longer than anyone. As far as preventing further cracking depending on the chip they can't say 100% it will never spread but it will definitely reduce the chance and in most cases will.

Kloubek
03-05-2009, 11:33 AM
You can also go to a place like Partssource, and get a kit for $10 whereby you can do it yourself.

funkedelic2
03-15-2009, 11:57 AM
Whats the average cost that shops charge to repair a chip?

rumeo
03-15-2009, 12:11 PM
around $30

bamboo_warrier
03-15-2009, 12:48 PM
apple

funkedelic2
03-15-2009, 12:53 PM
Originally posted by rumeo
around $30

Thanks, i have had the best luck with never needing to replace or repair a windshield. I get my new car and the next day a truck cuts me off and BAM a rock goes flying right into my windshield :banghead:

So i called a place today and they asked me all the info on my car for some reason? What does it really matter? Wouldn't the price to fix a rock chip be the same for all makes and models?

He told me $40 and they can do it tomorrow first thing in the morning. I thought to myself "fuck thats crazy!" I guess it really isn't. I figured it out be like $15-$20 max.

rumeo
03-15-2009, 01:49 PM
There's some places around the city where they'll set up little kiosks in plazas. They do an awesome job and charge around $24, can't remember the name for the life of me.

9taccord
03-21-2009, 01:57 AM
Cal-Alta (theres one on Horton road in the SW)

20.00 Cash and only 15 minutes.

canuckcarguy
03-21-2009, 12:32 PM
I used one of those kits once on an old truck to see if it worked. Never spread, but it didn't seem as "invisible" as the professional job.

2K255HP
03-22-2009, 08:57 AM
went to Cal-Alta today, the NE location near 32nd and mcknight. Great service and great people to work with! They work on a first come first serve basis. Highly recommended.

95teetee
03-25-2009, 06:10 PM
Originally posted by canuckcarguy
I used one of those kits once on an old truck to see if it worked. Never spread, but it didn't seem as "invisible" as the professional job. it's very hit-and-miss when doing a chip repair as to how well it disappears. Sometimes you can't tell it was there, sometimes they don't look any different after the repair (I work in a glass shop).

CivicDXR
03-25-2009, 09:37 PM
i know this sounds like a dumb question, but if a chip starts cracking, is there a way to stop the crack from spreading? I was thinking if I fill the original chip, then somehow stop the crack that started from spreading? Like maybe drilling a tiny hole at where the end of the crack is (like when they drill open the original chip), and fill that in to stop it?

I don't know if this sounds crazy, but my windshield is like $800 and I really don't want to get a new one right now...

revelations
03-25-2009, 11:37 PM
Originally posted by CivicDXR
i know this sounds like a dumb question, but if a chip starts cracking, is there a way to stop the crack from spreading? I was thinking if I fill the original chip, then somehow stop the crack that started from spreading? Like maybe drilling a tiny hole at where the end of the crack is (like when they drill open the original chip), and fill that in to stop it?

I don't know if this sounds crazy, but my windshield is like $800 and I really don't want to get a new one right now...

800$ ? :eek: Which vehicle?

You cant drill tempered glass as it will just break - unless you have somekind of special drill :dunno:

CivicDXR
03-26-2009, 06:03 PM
Originally posted by revelations

800$ ? :eek: Which vehicle?

You cant drill tempered glass as it will just break - unless you have somekind of special drill :dunno:

08 WRX with the windshield defrosters built into the glass... I didn't mean totally drill into it, last place that fixed a rockchip for me made the hole bigger with a tool before injecting the resin.

V6-BoI
05-25-2009, 05:52 PM
Did a search and thought I'd continue with this thread instead of starting a new one.

The biggest fucking rock hit my windsheild on deerfoot today, and there's a chip and the cracks are spidering out already. And I'm with CivicDXR, can I bring it to a auto glass repair place and get the chip filled in and at least stop it from cracking any further? Or am I shit outta luck, and need to repair my windshield to fix it?

?????
05-25-2009, 06:36 PM
V6-boi go get it drilled and filled in asap. Put tape over it to keep it clean, try not to use your windshield washer. They are able to fill in cracks to about a foot i believe and will be virtually invisible after. Depending on where the crack is the fix is pretty much permanent.

88CRX
05-25-2009, 06:58 PM
Originally posted by V6-BoI
Did a search and thought I'd continue with this thread instead of starting a new one.

The biggest fucking rock hit my windsheild on deerfoot today, and there's a chip and the cracks are spidering out already. And I'm with CivicDXR, can I bring it to a auto glass repair place and get the chip filled in and at least stop it from cracking any further? Or am I shit outta luck, and need to repair my windshield to fix it?

I'll post some before & after pics when I get home. But I had a huge chip, instant spider that I had repaired. Looks great for a $20 fix.

Like others said cover it with tape and don't get it wet or dirty.

special_k4.7
05-25-2009, 07:09 PM
Originally posted by CivicDXR

I used to work in a shop that did chip repairs and I have done many myself. I have tried that method before and to be honest, I wasn't too happy with the result. But at the same time, I never heard anything from the customer about it spreading afterwards but my personal opinion is that it will not work that well. But at the same time, since your windo is $$$ it may be worth the $30 to try and see if it works :dunno:

KeepItGully
05-25-2009, 07:20 PM
20$ .
I'll come meet you somewhere half way. (I live in the NW, work in the NE).

Prevent your windshield from further damage and meet a beyond member all within 15 min =)

Repair rockchips & Cracks up to 6".

You can PM me on here or for an immediate response email me at [email protected]

V6-BoI
05-25-2009, 08:03 PM
Originally posted by ?????
V6-boi go get it drilled and filled in asap. Put tape over it to keep it clean, try not to use your windshield washer. They are able to fill in cracks to about a foot i believe and will be virtually invisible after. Depending on where the crack is the fix is pretty much permanent.

Cool, thanks for the info. Yeah I just put some clear tape over it, and I'll try to get it fixed tomorrow at around lunch time. The crack is like near the lower corner of the passenger side.

Originally posted by 88CRX

I'll post some before & after pics when I get home. But I had a huge chip, instant spider that I had repaired. Looks great for a $20 fix.

Like others said cover it with tape and don't get it wet or dirty.

Cool, where did you get it repaired? I've gotten just small rock chips fixed before when it didn't spider out at Apple Auto Glass in the NE, but I can't seem to find the place anymore. Not sure if it moved somewhere else.

Originally posted by KeepItGully
20$ .
I'll come meet you somewhere half way. (I live in the NW, work in the NE).

Prevent your windshield from further damage and meet a beyond member all within 15 min =)

Repair rockchips & Cracks up to 6".

You can PM me on here or for an immediate response email me at [email protected]

Sweet, you just got an email (assuming the email made it through haha)!

V6-BoI
05-26-2009, 05:28 PM
Alright, so just an update of my situation, I took my car to a place called ClearView. It's just a guy at a little tent that just fills out small rock chips. I just went to them cuz it was close to home and I thought that's all I need. But after he took a look at it, turns out that my window is actually cracked from the inside. Not too sure how that happened, but that's my situation, but the guy there wasn't sure how he would go about fixing it. I would think that they just fill the crack, but they gotta do it from the inside instead of the outside. Only thing is you can't get to it from the inside without having to take out the whole windshield itself. Anyone else been in this kinda situation before?

blinkme_210
05-27-2009, 01:04 AM
Do you full blast the heat at the windshield in the winter time?

I did that once, and I heard a "whoom" sound. Next thing I know, I have a full windshield length crack along where heat is blasted at the windshield.

V6-BoI
05-27-2009, 10:28 AM
Originally posted by blinkme_210
Do you full blast the heat at the windshield in the winter time?

I did that once, and I heard a "whoom" sound. Next thing I know, I have a full windshield length crack along where heat is blasted at the windshield.

Yeah usually do blast the heat at the windsheild to defog it or when there's frost. Yeah once winter comes I'm pretty sure it'll crack, so I'm seeing if anyone has any suggestions of what I can do to fix it (other than replacing my windshield) before the winter time comes.