PDA

View Full Version : RANT: RE: dog owners - nuisance barking bylaw

canadian_hustla
03-04-2009, 11:45 PM
Hello fellow dog owners

Have any of you ever been accused of having a dog that barks too much? I have two pups one of which is a 5 month old Sheltie. She barks when she goes outside, but it only last for like 2 minutes and then she is fine. Please note that I am considerate and make sure that she is not out past 11 pm and not before 8 am. She is slowly improving and just recently she has not made a peep. She is outside < 45 minutes per day.

To my surprise I was sent a letter from Calgary Animal Bylaw Services stating that a formal complaint was filed from a neighbor and that continued offences would be subject to $100 fine. WTF is this shit? Even the letter states that the offence is "alleged" and that the complainant has been instructed to write down additional offences which may mean that I will be personally prosecuted in a court of law.

Un-fucking-believable!!! what is this city coming to? There are probably 8 houses that are either beside my house, behind it etc and 5 of which have dogs that bark. How can they single out my dog

It sickens me that there is some low life piece of garbage neighbor sitting at their window with a note pad and a pen and noting every time my dog barks. It pisses me off even more that the City of Calgary is harassing responsible owners on alleged claims. I pay my property taxes, i have had both my dogs spayed, microchipped AND I even licensed (STEAL TAX) both pups and yet I still get jerked around. The letter stated that I had the following options:
1) obedience training
2) shock collars
3) limiting time the dog is outside
4) de-barking the dog (i.e. go to a vet a rip out its voicebox)
5) get some pamphlet and read books about stopping it

I can't even believe they mentioned option 4). Yes I am going to butcher my dog because it is allegedly bothering someone!!!

I can understand that their are dogs that nuisance bark and the owners don't give a shit - but I am not one of those people. What constitutes as a nuisance bark? The law states any "Bark, Growl, or Howl" which disturbes a fellow neighbor. One would deduce that dogs are wild and bark (really!). So next time you hear a dog bark, just think that you can call 311 and fine the owner $100 dollars and fuck up their day. Remember all dogs must be quiet 24 hours a day as apparently the law is in effect 24/7/365

PS i just read up on the bylaw 23M2006 which appears to be up to date and there is very little information as to what the fine is and what constitutes as nuisance barking.

To the complaintant: make sure you:
-shovel your walk
-stop your loud social gatherings at 11:00 pm
-move your vehicles which have been sitting on the road > 48 hours
-put your garbage out the day of and note the day before
- etc etc.
because I am watching you.

-end rant

403Gemini
03-05-2009, 12:04 AM
Originally posted by canadian_hustla
Hello fellow dog owners

Have any of you ever been accused of having a dog that barks too much? I have two pups one of which is a 5 month old Sheltie. She barks when she goes outside, but it only last for like 2 minutes and then she is fine. Please note that I am considerate and make sure that she is not out past 11 pm and not before 8 am. She is slowly improving and just recently she has not made a peep. She is outside &lt; 45 minutes per day.

To my surprise I was sent a letter from Calgary Animal Bylaw Services stating that a formal complaint was filed from a neighbor and that continued offences would be subject to $100 fine. WTF is this shit? Even the letter states that the offence is &quot;alleged&quot; and that the complainant has been instructed to write down additional offences which may mean that I will be personally prosecuted in a court of law.

Un-fucking-believable!!! what is this city coming to? There are probably 8 houses that are either beside my house, behind it etc and 5 of which have dogs that bark. How can they single out my dog

It sickens me that there is some low life piece of garbage neighbor sitting at their window with a note pad and a pen and noting every time my dog barks. It pisses me off even more that the City of Calgary is harassing responsible owners on alleged claims. I pay my property taxes, i have had both my dogs spayed, microchipped AND I even licensed (STEAL TAX) both pups and yet I still get jerked around. The letter stated that I had the following options:
1) obedience training
2) shock collars

I can't even believe they mentioned option 4). Yes I am going to butcher my dog because it is allegedly bothering someone!!!

I can understand that their are dogs that nuisance bark and the owners don't give a shit - but I am not one of those people. What constitutes as a nuisance bark? The law states any &quot;Bark, Growl, or Howl&quot; which disturbes a fellow neighbor. One would deduce that dogs are wild and bark (really!). So next time you hear a dog bark, just think that you can call 311 and fine the owner $100 dollars and fuck up their day. Remember all dogs must be quiet 24 hours a day as apparently the law is in effect 24/7/365

PS i just read up on the bylaw 23M2006 which appears to be up to date and there is very little information as to what the fine is and what constitutes as nuisance barking.

To the complaintant: make sure you:
-shovel your walk
-stop your loud social gatherings at 11:00 pm
-move your vehicles which have been sitting on the road &gt; 48 hours
-put your garbage out the day of and note the day before
- etc etc.
because I am watching you.

-end rant

I'd reply to their letter with this:

1) obedience training
-Love to have the person who complained go through this
2) shock collars
-If you wear one for a week, i'll put one on my dog
-You get 2 bathroom breaks a day... choose them wisley
-You do this to your child, i'll do it to my dog
-lawl!

I personally think its bogus. dogs bark, its what they do. Now i can understand to those retards who leave their dog outside ALL DAY and the dog does NOT stop barking. But letting it out a few times a day to take a leak, probably sees a dog in another yard, barks a few times, looses interest and does its business and comes back in.

al-ti2d
03-05-2009, 12:08 AM
i hate neighbours like this.. i own 2 dogs myself and i've gotten complaints in the past for their barking. it seems to be the same neighbour who puts in the complaint as well, as far as i can tell. i'm SORRY for allowing my dogs their freedom to go play in the backyard for a bit during the day and to let them go to the bathroom during the night. they really can't help it when a stranger walking their own dog walks past our house and gets them excited.. :facepalm:

CMW403
03-05-2009, 12:28 AM
the only thing that used to bother me in the city is when my neighbour would lock the dog outside for the night and the dog barks and cries like someones raping his mother for 12 hours while you're trying to sleep. there were instances where my dad actually debated getting the compound bow and ending his life altogether.

johnboy27
03-05-2009, 12:40 AM
I had bylaw show up at my door with a warning one day that was pretty much identical but the fine was 365 bucks or something along that line. My dog barks when she is left out too long or when somebody passes the house. The person who complained also complained that the dog barked too much while it was in the house. I opted for the bark collar, I didn't want to go that route but due to time constraints (10 days to comply) I decided to go with it. It actually did help quite a bit, my dog still barked but it really only took her about 20 minutes to realize at what volume the collar would shock her. We used it with her for about a month and we rarely have a problem with her barking. She usually only barks outdoors when she is ready to come in and it is usually just one bark.

I found it funny though that the warning ame about 2 weeks after she scared a burglar out of our garage and when the police showed up they said she was a very convincing gaurd dog ( her bark is much worse than her bite). The police were told that night that if the guy came back the dog would be realeased to give chase and they had no problems with it. I'm thinking the burglar was a neighbor that was interested in something in my house/ garage and thought we would get rid of the dog, they were wrong.

codo
03-05-2009, 12:41 AM
I don't understand why your neighbors don't just come to your door and explain what is bothering them. It is a lot less childish, they're basically telling mommy and daddy on you instead.

TorqueDog
03-05-2009, 12:50 AM
"De-barking"? I didn't even know that was an actual procedure. That's the most disgusting thing I've ever heard of.

CMW403
03-05-2009, 12:51 AM
Originally posted by codo
I don't understand why your neighbors don't just come to your door and explain what is bothering them. It is a lot less childish, they're basically telling mommy and daddy on you instead.

i agree, before they call bylaw bob they should formally explain to you how they feel. but if your just letting them out for short periods of time then that is complete bullshit.

calgarys_finest
03-05-2009, 09:12 AM
I have a neighbor that has a dog that barks at anything that walks by, when i go out and clean my car or whatever it will bark at me till i leave. I took a different route and talked to the owner who didnt even realise that their dog was barking. Did anyone talk to you about it or did they just complain to the city?

Kritafo
03-05-2009, 09:18 AM
Originally posted by 403Gemini

I'd reply to their letter with this:

1) obedience training
-Love to have the person who complained go through this
2) shock collars
-If you wear one for a week, i'll put one on my dog
-You get 2 bathroom breaks a day... choose them wisley
-You do this to your child, i'll do it to my dog
-lawl!

I personally think its bogus. dogs bark, its what they do. Now i can understand to those retards who leave their dog outside ALL DAY and the dog does NOT stop barking. But letting it out a few times a day to take a leak, probably sees a dog in another yard, barks a few times, looses interest and does its business and comes back in.

I love it, and yes dogs bark get over it. Mine is not a barker and have never had one that is.
I would totally want to know which of the neighbors it was, that should be a given. All this anonymous stuff gives people power trips. Call the by law officer over, the proof is all the other dogs in the neighborhood. I would ask any of the other owners if they got a complaint as well.

Tik-Tok
03-05-2009, 09:24 AM
Originally posted by TorqueDog
&quot;De-barking&quot;? I didn't even know that was an actual procedure. That's the most disgusting thing I've ever heard of.

Yep.

A friends, neighbors dog barks constantly for the 16 hours a day it's left outside, alone. It's owners don't pay any attention to it, don't walk it, don't play with it, nothing. When my friend finally complained to him, the owners said they were going to de-bark the dog :( . Seriously... how about you pay some fucking attention to your PET, instead of mutilating it???

Oh, and complaints to the city fall on deaf ears, as his neighbor is a CPS :facepalm:

Our dog will randomly scream like a freaking banshee if he's left outside alone when we're not home. He'll be really good for weeks, but then one day he'll just freak out. One shitty old crotchety neighbor came banging on my garage door one day to tell me he phoned the city on me, but the city wouldn't do anything.

Pissed me off, if your ready to talk to me about it anyways... why call the city first? Why not just ask ME to keep him inside, and if I tell you to fuck off, then by all means, call the Bylaw officers.

No bloody respect from this oldfart. My wife has lived in our cul-de-sac since she was born too. She KNOWS the guy, and he still had the balls to do that. :facepalm:

Tarrantula
03-05-2009, 09:26 AM
2 Minutes is a long fucking time of none stop barking. And no offence.. you might like your dog, and think his bark is cute, but it could be annoying as fuck to others.

I have 2 dogs and a cat, my mom breeds yorkies for a living.. and I would have called you in too.

Our dogs dont bark outside, and especially not for 2 minutes straight.

Note: My mom has had 3 dogs de-barked, I think its fine :dunno: at least they are quiet.

Enhance
03-05-2009, 09:26 AM
I have no problem when dogs bark when they are playing, or at random shit like birds and planes, because its not a constant bark. It's when they whine, god I hate that fucking shit. A bark or two to get inside, no problem. Whining at the back door for four hours is god damn frustrating.
If you can't leave your dog inside during the day because it wrecks shit, buy a crate and train it properly.

canadian_hustla
03-05-2009, 09:41 AM
Originally posted by calgarys_finest
I have a neighbor that has a dog that barks at anything that walks by, when i go out and clean my car or whatever it will bark at me till i leave. I took a different route and talked to the owner who didnt even realise that their dog was barking. Did anyone talk to you about it or did they just complain to the city?

Nothing, just a letter in the mail. I am planning to go visit other homes in area that have dogs and see if they received a complaint as well.

Originally posted by Tarrantula
2 Minutes is a long fucking time of none stop barking. And no offence.. you might like your dog, and think his bark is cute, but it could be annoying as fuck to others.

I have 2 dogs and a cat, my mom breeds yorkies for a living.. and I would have called you in too.

Our dogs dont bark outside, and especially not for 2 minutes straight.

Note: My mom has had 3 dogs de-barked, I think its fine :dunno: at least they are quiet.

I agree and it is annoying as fuck to us as well. Mind you, I would appreciate if you were to have the maturity to ring our doorbell and voice your concerns as opposed to hiding behind bullshit city bylaws. In the end I would more than willing to have some mediation and get the problem resolved.

PS - Last night i heard dogs barking at 11:30 pm, and again at 3:30 am. I should call them in as they are the real offenders here.
Perhaps every single Calgarian should call the city and complain about a dog barking. Use up the city resources as much as possible as the whole situation is bullshit.

Tarrantula
03-05-2009, 09:44 AM
I agree and it is annoying as fuck to us as well. Mind you, I would appreciate if you were to have the maturity to ring our doorbell and voice your concerns as opposed to hiding behind bullshit city bylaws. In the end I would more than willing to have some mediation and get the problem resolved.

PS - Last night i heard dogs barking at 11:30 pm, and again at 3:30 am. I should call them in as they are the real offenders here.
Perhaps every single Calgarian should call the city and complain about a dog barking. Use up the city resources as much as possible as the whole situation is bullshit.

Personally I wouldnt ever call someone in.. so I understand why you are ranting..

Some people are pricks.:dunno:

scat19
03-05-2009, 10:09 AM
Holy crap people, how about this.

I am a dog owner, control your dog! Easy!

Barking dogs are as annoying as kids that are allowed to run around freely into people at the malls, in parking lots, control your fucking kids! (another rant for another day)

My dog can bark on command "speak", he can also shut up on command "quiet".

he RARELY barks, and I live in a condo. I mean, if he gets excited and we're playing, he'll bark. But when Im at home and other dogs are barking in the hall, or walking in the corridor he is silent.

Train your dog properly.

kaput
03-05-2009, 10:35 AM

jonnycat
03-05-2009, 10:38 AM
Warnings about my dog's breed.

Barking. American Eskimo Dogs are often too quick to sound the alarm at every new sight and sound. You have to be equally quick to stop them. If you work all day and have close neighbors, American Eskimo Dogs are not a good choice for you. For the same reason, American Eskimo Dogs should NEVER be left outside in your yard, unsupervised. To make matters worse, some American Eskimo Dogs have intense, high-pitched barks that can set your teeth on edge.

I'm lucky each neighbour on either side and the guy directly behind me all have dogs that all bark, just mine mine more than most, especially at my neighbours. She never gets left outside for long, less than an hour total during the day and 90% of the time we are with her.

Although the barking is annoying it's crazy how it can be used for good. If a pot is about to boil over she lets us know, if something is burning, kid is trying to get into trouble she tell us.

alloroc
03-05-2009, 11:58 AM
Every time your dog barks and you correct it. Put it in the house go outside and make barking and howling noises as loud as you can - to show the dog what not to do of course.

Then when the next complaint comes in just tell the officer that the noise is probably not the dog but you. The irony is that people (who should know better) can pretty much make as much noise as they like in the daytime but a dog (who is driven by instincts) is not allowed to make noise.

nat_skyline
03-05-2009, 12:52 PM
There's a decent size, black curly (kinda like an very big over grown poodle) dog that lives down the road. That dog always Runs away and comes into our yard Bark up a storm, chew the garbage bag on garbage days, does it's business in our yard while I once heard the owner Yell from down the alley "GET YOUR $&^*& ASS BACK HERE" (clearly the dog wont listen) and the dog just keeps barking at My chihuahua(even when she's sleeping inside near the window) who is scared silly of this Bigger dog that doesnt shut up. One thing if it runs away, another if it keeps crapping in our yard and everyone elses, but the worst part it has no collar, and when you approach it it takes off from the opposit direction from where it lives so I can never find out the original adress. It's easy to train a dog to not bark, I managed in no time to train my chihuahua to not bark ever!
that's my rant...
I feel your pain lol

Neil4Speed
03-05-2009, 12:57 PM
Consider a citronella collar, it worked great for a friend of mines beloved cujo,

bubbley
03-05-2009, 02:06 PM
Didnt read your rant but barking bylaw?? thats weak

coyotes have been creepin around my place most likely trying to attack my dog..but my dog would rip them in half but they stick around and I noticed the past week they come around 1-3am and my dog barks like a mofo. So i gotta wake up and turn my lights on in the back and they run away.

That would suck if i got a ticket :(

Melinda
03-05-2009, 02:17 PM
We've had to call bylaw twice on our neighbours. One was the neighbours behind us who's two dogs litterally barked NON STOP. ALL THE TIME. We went over there three times to talk to them about it and all three times, they weren't home. Turns out they cut a hole in the side of their house and put in a "doggie door" so the dogs could come and go as they pleased. Turns out they were more pleased to be barking their heads off outside. After the third time of them not being home over the span of 2 or 3 months and being patient and understanding every other day, we got sick of it and called the city. Not too sure what came of it, but the dogs are much better behaved these days.

The other time was somewhat similar. We got home at 9 one night and it was +30 still (stampede week) so we had our windows open. We could hear a dog barking the next street over. Pretty big dog, so it had a pretty loud bark. It barked non stop, and I do mean non stop, until 12:30am. My husband went out to find the house that this dog lived at to ask the people to either shut him up or bring him in. On his journey he found another guy from the next street over also trying to find the house. They eventually found it, went up to the door and the homeowners didn't answer. Car was there, TV was on inside, but they ignored the doorbell. So, both of them went home and called bylaw. The house is now up for sale.

I have no issues with good dog owners having pets. I have had neighbours who were really good about their dogs and the impact they have on the community around them. But I have to say based on experience, there are more bad dog owners than good dog owners in this city. I totally agree that a person should always go talk to the neighbour first, but sometimes a call to bylaw is needed. :dunno:

em2ab
03-05-2009, 02:34 PM
My pop debarked his dog, it was weird. It'd bark at you but nothing came out.

Wildcat
03-05-2009, 02:46 PM

Sorry but i would've done the same thing. Why bother making it personal by going to your door? Any number of things could happen in that situation; you could do something about my concern, you could do nothing, you could tell me to fuck off, or you could hold a grudge and case my neighborhood behavior for as long as I live there.

Contacting the proper authorities to resolve the issue was absolutely, 100% the correct decision.

em2ab
03-05-2009, 02:53 PM
Originally posted by Wildcat

Sorry but i would've done the same thing. Why bother making it personal by going to your door? Any number of things could happen in that situation; you could do something about my concern, you could do nothing, you could tell me to fuck off, or you could hold a grudge and case my neighborhood behavior for as long as I live there.

Contacting the proper authorities to resolve the issue was absolutely, 100% the correct decision.
That's retarded. the first thing I do when I move into a new place is go to my neighbours, give them my phone number and email address and tell them to let me know if I'm bothering them at all. If someone doesn't have the common decency to simply come and let me know I'm bothering them then what the hell?

TKRIS
03-05-2009, 02:54 PM
My neighbor's dog sometimes barks while they're gone. They leave it outside in the summer when they leave somewhere.
I spray it with a hose until it shuts up. Of course, my neighbor is a cool guy, and we get along and help each other out, so I don't mind too much. If he was a douchebag, his dog would be getting soaked, and he'd be getting fines whenever I had to inconvenience myself to shut his dog up.

There's a place for a bylaw on things like this, but it should only come after trying to settle things like adults. You don't just go running to bylaw every time something bothers you. As I've said before, I'm pretty touchy about noise. Barking, stereos, etc. really bother me. But I recognize that that's mostly just an issue I have. If it's excessive, I've gone and asked someone to please shut the fuck up, but I'm not going to go running to the cops every time someone's dog barks or drives by with a loud stereo just because it's a pet peeve.

I decided awhile ago that being a good neighbor pays off. I'm lucky to live in a nice neighborhood, where I know a lot of the people on my street. Hell, in the summer I often have to make 2 stops from my house to a buddies at the end of the street to have a beer and bullshit with people.
Running to bylaw instead of dealing with the situation in a mature and polite way just ruins any chance of that kind of familiarity and breeds hostility and resentment.

civicrider
03-05-2009, 02:56 PM
oh sweet i did not know you can do this, i'm sending a complaint for two of my neighbors because their dogs are fucking annoying, dumb little rat dogs never shut up

Wildcat
03-05-2009, 03:23 PM
Originally posted by em2ab

That's retarded. the first thing I do when I move into a new place is go to my neighbours, give them my phone number and email address and tell them to let me know if I'm bothering them at all. If someone doesn't have the common decency to simply come and let me know I'm bothering them then what the hell?

From what I understood, the OP got an anonymous letter of complaint from someone in the area. I have a great relationship with my neighbors directly to the left and right of my house. Had it been their dog i would have come over and voiced my concerns with them without a second thought and vice-versa, as i already have an established relationship with them.

However, if someone from across the back lane or street whom i do not have a relationship with has a dog that needs to zip it of course I'd immediately call by-law services.

That's what i gathered from the OP's original post, that someone within earshot of the dog in the neighborhood had filed a complaint, not his/her neighbors directly next to the right or left of the house.

Kona9
03-05-2009, 03:42 PM
My pop debarked his dog, it was weird. It'd bark at you but nothing came out.

:thumbsdow

OP: You think getting a fine for a barking dog is crazy....try tieing your dog up outside a 7-11 on the DOG TIE DOWN!! Yup it's an offence. Try walking your dog while you are on a bike and the dog is running along side you on a leash...yup, that's a fineable offence as well. I was warned by the Puppy PoPo.

Hopefully you get to the bottom of who it is. There are many ways this can be dealt with. :rofl:

em2ab
03-05-2009, 04:05 PM
Originally posted by Kona9

:thumbsdow

:dunno: It was a bird dog, he used it to hunt birds. If the dog barked, his supper got away so......debark. He loved that dog and the three before it, just had to stop it from barking.

Stealth22
03-05-2009, 04:08 PM
A friend of mine has a neighbor with a dog- they don't know the owners, and this dog was ALWAYS outside, and barked NON STOP, at almost any hour of the day.

He considered calling Bylaw, but instead mailed them an anonymous letter (polite, but firm), explaining that their dog had been doing this for about a year and a half (yes, that long...never did anything about it thinking the dog would eventually be trained), and as the owners, they were in violation of the responsible pet ownership bylaw. They would be given one more month. If the situation didn't change after a month, Calgary Bylaw or CPS would be called. CPS can't do shit about that (they'd probably tell you to call Bylaw), but he just put it in there for kicks.

Dog seems to be silent now :rofl:
He still hears it outside barking occasionally, but it seems to be better behaved now.

gretz
03-05-2009, 04:10 PM

:dunno: It was a bird dog, he used it to hunt birds. If the dog barked, his supper got away so......debark. He loved that dog and the three before it, just had to stop it from barking.

Fair enough

There should be a by-law about crying babies as well. When little junior son of a bitch is crying all hours of the night, into the morning......

Babies cry, dogs bark :rofl:

adidas
03-05-2009, 04:18 PM
So lets say, someone shoots one of ur family members, u wont call the cops as that is a "weak" thing to do, u would just rather go hunt the guy down urself and fix him for life.

OR

When someone does a hit and run, and u see the guys vehicle driving away, ur not gonna call the cops, ur just gonna chase him down and hit him back just as hard maybe even do a PIT maneuver.

What most of you need to understand is that we live in Canada, everyone is gonna complain about every little bit. Everyone is gonna snitch and i really find that the white folks(canadians) are the ones that do it the most. Maybe its cause they are fully aware that they can get ur ass fined for every little bit and its just how they were raised.

I got a neighbor who has a husky which obviously never barks. Its outside 24/7 and we have lived here for 3 years never bothered us once. The other night the neighbor across the street has a dog that he calls "stupid" well stupid was barking for a few min straight. If it did that kind of shit more often id go have a talk with him. Now take into account that if the dog did that 10 times a day everyday, im pretty sure alot of ppl would be pissed. Its not greatest thing to listen to.

TKRIS
03-05-2009, 04:26 PM
Originally posted by adidas
So lets say, someone shoots one of ur family members, u wont call the cops as that is a &quot;weak&quot; thing to do, u would just rather go hunt the guy down urself and fix him for life.

Completely retarded comparison.

OR

When someone does a hit and run, and u see the guys vehicle driving away, ur not gonna call the cops, ur just gonna chase him down and hit him back just as hard maybe even do a PIT maneuver.
Another completely retarded comparison.

What most of you need to understand is that we live in Canada, everyone is gonna complain about every little bit.

Except for the vast majority of people who don't...

Everyone is gonna snitch and i really find that the white folks

Nice...

(canadians) are the ones that do it the most. Maybe its cause they are fully aware that they can get ur ass fined for every little bit and its just how they were raised.

Selective observation.

Like you said: You'd go have a talk with buddy before just hiding in your house and calling the popo. That's all anyone is saying. Yeah, if the guy is going to be a fucking retard about it and tell you to fuck off, get bylaw to deal with him. But don't just sic bylaw on someone because there dog barks for sporadically for 2 minutes a day.

canadian_hustla
03-05-2009, 08:19 PM
I agree with you TKRIS.

Funny thing is that we have called the city 3 times (2 voicemails) and the "case worker" refuses to give us time of day to discuss our case.

Our other dog is a mini american eskimo x sheltie and she is much quieter than the purebred sheltie.

To the poster that said that their dog barks on command, this is a 5 month old pup bud - comparing your whatever year old dog to a pup is rediculous. Babies can do algebra right?

I am going to try citronella (sp?). It seems like a humane solution.

canadian_hustla
03-05-2009, 08:39 PM
Originally posted by Wildcat

That's what i gathered from the OP's original post, that someone within earshot of the dog in the neighborhood had filed a complaint, not his/her neighbors directly next to the right or left of the house.

PS this is probably overkill and not necessary but MSPAINT owns me LOL. Here is my neighborhood. If you don't like dogs GTFO lol!

LEGEND: blue circle = me.
And the house directly across usually has a dog but there is not one now. Maybe it comes for the summer or something

http://img12.imageshack.us/img12/1076/86742017.jpg

bignerd
03-05-2009, 10:22 PM
Its annoying, but you can keep track of what times you let your dog out and submit those to the bylaw officer to see if they correspond with the complainant-obvioubsly if they don't they will dismiss the complaint. I would do this now but keep it on hand in case you get another complaint. I would also note how many other dogs live near you-how do they know it is you?

Ignore the suggestion of debarking-some cities and humane societies consider this cruel and unusual treatment. Or film your dog outside, if it only barks the first minute then is quiet keep the film on hand as your evidence.

Talk to your neighbors, try to make nice with them ("gee neighbor, does my dog bother you? I would really hope if something like my dog barking bothered you, you would just come let me know blah blah blah...")

Personally I would rather hear a dog barking then the kids from the two dayhomes two houses away from me screaming all summer-drives me f-ing insane. Can you complain about screaming kids? Maybe I can spray them with a hose??

NickGT
03-05-2009, 10:37 PM
Don't let it eat you up Dave. I have this one neighbor that gave me shit when my dog was a puppy. I tried to explain to her that he's a puppy. They do bark. Not only that if he's inside my house, and the windows are closed and I'm at work there's not much else I can do. She didn't understand and literally told me to shut him up. Some people are just wound way to tight for living.

Well he's a lot quieter now that hes older. But he still barks now and then. Like when he wants to play, go outside / come inside, or if someone is at the door. He is a schnauzer after all.

As annoyed as I was, I'm glad I have this crotchety old neighbor. With her constantly peering through her blinds keeping an eye on things makes for a pretty quiet and safe street and I don't have to do a thing :thumbsup:

I highly doubt you'll ever see a fine.

-edit-

Also try shooting water at your puppy when it barks and say something like Shush! Worked wonders for me.

4bier
03-06-2009, 12:41 AM
just get a bark collar problem solved...maybe the person works shift work 1-2 minutes of barking would drive a person nuts. or when the time comes go to court the person complaining has to show up you ll know who it is then:dunno:

clem24
03-06-2009, 01:46 PM
HAHAHA fucking neighbours at my parents house. I drop my dogs there every so often. Unfortunately they go berserk if there are people with dogs walking by the back (it's an open space) but are silent otherwise. Anyway, without even trying to settle it like adults (i.e. going over and talking about it), they just called bylaw. Of course, bylaw shows up and tells my parents they need to keep the dogs quiet. Also happens that my dogs were with me. My parents are like: "what, no dogs here!". :rofl:

cancer man
03-13-2009, 11:55 AM
i'am at a diffrent scenario,my dog went outside to to her business
and started barking and growling at the fence.I thought it was one of those pain in the asses Jack Rabbits.
I told her to shut up and she just layed down by the fence.
My neighbor came out and looked at the alley and we been hit by graffitti.
He then came over and said never tell your dog to shut up,she did her job you did'nt do yours.
My Fail.

MintRacer
03-13-2009, 12:02 PM
Originally posted by NickGT
Don't let it eat you up Dave. I have this one neighbor that gave me shit when my dog was a puppy. I tried to explain to her that he's a puppy. They do bark. Not only that if he's inside my house, and the windows are closed and I'm at work there's not much else I can do. She didn't understand and literally told me to shut him up. Some people are just wound way to tight for living.

Well he's a lot quieter now that hes older. But he still barks now and then. Like when he wants to play, go outside / come inside, or if someone is at the door. He is a schnauzer after all.

As annoyed as I was, I'm glad I have this crotchety old neighbor. With her constantly peering through her blinds keeping an eye on things makes for a pretty quiet and safe street and I don't have to do a thing :thumbsup:

-edit-

Also try shooting water at your puppy when it barks and say something like Shush! Worked wonders for me.

I've tried the shock/citronella collar for barking. It does not work as well as the super soaker. Problem fixed, but I still have to keep on him to make sure he's in line every now and then.

It's tough when it's in their nature as a guard dog to bark.

canuckcarguy
03-13-2009, 12:29 PM
Why are so many people such pussies? I agree with the majority of posters here - if you have a problem with a neighbour, go talk to him. Period. I figure that'll work 99% of the time.

Actually, I think there's tremendous benefit to addressing the issue directly. If I'm doing something that bothers my neighbour, and he comes and talks to me, I feel bad that I bothered him, plus I feel indebted to him for being classy about it. Pretty good odds he'll be getting a free beer or burger next time I'm cooking outdoors. Win-win.

I have one neighbor that's unstable, she and her husband (and their 3 rottweilers) have threatened people in the community, mouthed off to everybody, and have been visited by the police multiple times. Weird, actually, because from the outside looking in, they've got nothing to be unhappy about (good jobs, tons of cash, nice house, etc).

Barking dogs would be the least of my problems. People who whine and snivel and call bylaw about the smallest things should relax a bit, it could be worse.

Ruggzy_McTuggz
03-13-2009, 03:55 PM
Originally posted by Tarrantula

Personally I wouldnt ever call someone in.. so I understand why you are ranting..

/confused would you or would you not call him in?

method
03-13-2009, 07:24 PM
I'll curtail my dogs' barking when this city captures and exterminates every 'outdoor cat' that runs rampant around the neighbourhood.

AndyL
03-13-2009, 08:52 PM
Meh, gotten these before... Partly why we installed the wifi security cameras at the old place; was real fun to sit with the officer and prove the invalidity of the complaints...

Given these before too - same place, old lady with some little rat dog thing; literally hours of incessant yapping... But I did try to talk to her about it first - to which I was told to go f**k myself... Again was fun to have bylaw sit there and see/hear that dog on the security camera...

One of my current neighbours is a jackass - got a lovely letter from the city about my camper in the driveway... I'm reasonably sure it's my only adjacent neighbour - think he's upset, since he's got to park one of his 8 vehicles across the street... Wont he be impressed when it moves and I still park on the street in one of 'his' spots (which is still in front of my house) :D

canadian_hustla
03-13-2009, 11:17 PM
Originally posted by NickGT

-edit-

Thanks NickGt.

LOL :rofl: @ some of the responses. Beyond delivers again!

Update: We have called our case worker at the City of Calgary Bylaw Dept 4 times (4 voicemails) and have yet to receive a response. We have even called 311 and been transferred to the dept and the bylaw officer refuses to talk to us.

Update #2: dog is barking much less, down from 2 min to 15 seconds :)

The whole law is stupid and it is even stupider if they are not enforcing/giving us the opportunity to have our say.

95teetee
03-14-2009, 08:28 AM
Originally posted by Kona9

Hopefully you get to the bottom of who it is. There are many ways this can be dealt with. :rofl: and people wonder why someone would call bylaw instead of going to their psychotic neighbour directly.

urban.one
04-01-2009, 04:18 PM
this is why you call bylaw:

Wed, April 1, 2009

Woman kills man over her barking dog
UPDATED: 2009-04-01 10:10:34 MST

By THE ASSOCIATED PRESS

Email Print Write Size: A A A Share:

Facebook Digg Del.icio.us Google Stumble Upon Furl Newsvine Reddit Technorati Blinklist Feed Me Yahoo Socializer Ma.gnolia Raw Sugar Simpy Squidoo Spurl Blink Bits Rojo Blogmarks Shadows Netvouz Scuttle Co.mments Bloglines Tailrank Sitejot + Help

SYDNEY — A woman was convicted of fatally stabbing a neighbour who complained about her barking dog in Australia’s biggest city.

A New South Wales Supreme Court jury found Katrina Megan Whitmore, 26, guilty of murder after two days of deliberations.

Joseph Durrant, 47, of Sydney, was on his way home from Australia Day celebrations Jan. 27, 2007, when he argued with Whitmore in her yard about her dog.

Prosecutors said Whitmore threatened Durrant then attacked him with a knife.

Whitmore has acknowledged there was a struggle but denied wielding a knife.

She will be sentenced May 29.

“She does say that she told people not to speak to her dog like that,” prosecutor Chris Maxwell told the court Wednesday.

A witness, Adam Duncan, told the court he was at a party next door when he saw Whitmore run down her driveway brandishing a knife, adding that he was “pretty sure Katrina stabbed him in the neck.”

Co-accused Steven Spiro Sotiropoulos, who was involved in the fight and charged alongside Whitmore, was found not guilty of murder.

3g4u
04-01-2009, 04:24 PM
Originally posted by urban.one
this is why you call bylaw:

Or buy a bigger knife.