PDA

View Full Version : Calgary residential street parking limited to 72 hours??

Canucks3322
03-05-2009, 12:10 AM
So I read a letter in the Calgary Sun where the guy complained that his car was towed because he parked it in front of his house without moving it for more than 72 hours...apparently this the law in Calgary????????...is this true? what happens if you go on vacation for more than 3 days? WTF?....this concerns me because I am going to be moving in with roomates again and probably won't have a garage or driveway to park and I am going away for more than 72 hours at least twice from now until September, what am I supposed to do? ANOTHER FUCKING reason this city is a SHIT HOLE.

What is the fine and cost to get your car out of impound?

89s1
03-05-2009, 12:12 AM
total load of shit.

If the car is plated it's not ging to get towed.

If the car isn't plated and is on private property its not going to get towed with out a warning, and not for a LONG time.

I have first hand experience with this, I had a gutted 1989 civic shell in my backlane for months and months but it was on my parking pad and plated. I eventually got a note from the city saying i had a dilapidated vehicle outside my house and had 3 weeks to move it or proove it ran and drove.

you're just gullible and you have stupid friends.

AE92_TreunoSC
03-05-2009, 12:12 AM
It needs to have a registered complaint first.

I'd bet 90% of the time its unregistered beaters, the other 10% it's bitter neighbors.

95EagleAWD
03-05-2009, 12:16 AM
That's everywhere. A car can only be parked in the same spot for 72 hours. It has to be moved after that. And they can and will tow it if they want to.

89s1
03-05-2009, 12:18 AM
my summer car has been parked outside my house on the street all winter.

:drama:

EDIT: With the exception of a few nice chinook days.

kenny
03-05-2009, 12:58 AM
Originally posted by 89s1
total load of shit.

If the car isn't plated and is on private property its not going to get towed with out a warning, and not for a LONG time.

The street in front of your house is not private property and thats where the 72 hour rule applies. Of course the city does not monitor vehicles on residential streets and will only ticket and tow vehicles based on complaints.

Xtrema
03-05-2009, 01:03 AM
Originally posted by Canucks3322
What is the fine and cost to get your car out of impound?

https://www.calgaryparking.com/releaseinfo.php3

Don't worry about it. Make sure your car is not an eyesore and don't piss any neighbor off and you'll be fine.

89s1
03-05-2009, 01:13 AM
Originally posted by kenny

The street in front of your house is not private property and thats where the 72 hour rule applies. Of course the city does not monitor vehicles on residential streets and will only ticket and tow vehicles based on complaints.

Where did I say I thought the street in front of my house is private property? :dunno:

2ndgenlude
03-05-2009, 01:15 AM
had a neighbour phone in my 2003 ranger, plated and registered. sat for maybe a month. got a call, and they marked the tires and gave me 72 hrs to move it. battery was dead so i just pushed it up a foot. no problems since. neighbours don;t like me very much though, so they will phone in anything they think is mine.

kenny
03-05-2009, 02:00 AM
Originally posted by 89s1

Where did I say I thought the street in front of my house is private property? :dunno:

OP mentioned car on street in front of house.

Your reply:

total load of shit.

sputnik
03-05-2009, 07:17 AM
total load of shit.

Actually. If the car is registered to an address on the street the 72 hour rule does NOT apply. It only applies to vehicles that are registered to other streets than the one it is parked on.

Unregistered cars can be towed almost immediately.

My neighbours accidentally called in an unregistered car and it was towed within 2 hours. Unfortunately it was a car destined to be donated to the Kidney Foundation that afternoon and the owners just pulled the plates on it in advance.

Canucks3322
03-05-2009, 08:17 AM
^ hmmmm, thanks for the info guys....the Calgary Sun editorial letter said it was outside HIS house and everything with the car was fine with registered plates and what not....I'll have to call 311 to make sure.....

kenny
03-05-2009, 11:21 AM
Originally posted by sputnik
Actually. If the car is registered to an address on the street the 72 hour rule does NOT apply. It only applies to vehicles that are registered to other streets than the one it is parked on.

Thanks for the clarification, didn't know that.

Here it is from the TSA:

(2) A vehicle that is

(a) left standing on a highway for more than 72 consecutive hours, unless otherwise provided for in a bylaw in the case of a highway under the direction, control and management of the council of a municipality, or

(b) left standing on public or private property for more than 72 consecutive hours without the consent of the owner or person in possession or control of the property,

is deemed to have been abandoned at that location.

Mibz
03-05-2009, 11:35 AM

Thanks for the clarification, didn't know that.

Here it is from the TSA:

(2) A vehicle that is

(a) left standing on a highway for more than 72 consecutive hours, unless otherwise provided for in a bylaw in the case of a highway under the direction, control and management of the council of a municipality, or

(b) left standing on public or private property for more than 72 consecutive hours without the consent of the owner or person in possession or control of the property,

is deemed to have been abandoned at that location. Did you find the provision allowing for the car to stay there if it's your house?

EDIT: Came off kinda rude with my first wording.

Canucks3322
03-05-2009, 07:20 PM
^ I honestly don't think there is one. :(