PDA

View Full Version : Tax Help? QuickTax question

eblend
03-05-2009, 07:04 PM
Hello,

Doing my taxes, first time after my wedding, so not sure about this one component that worries me. I am doing mine and wifes returns as separate returns, and then just putting our names and info into each others return. I did this on mine and no biggie, but on my wifes (has no income for 2008) I see this and it worries me. Just trying to clarify. Say that I will get $2000 according to my tax return. Does this mean that even thought my wife hasn't worked in 2008, that she will have to owe $1440.00 because I make more then $9600???

What confuses me more is the Note in bold as seen in the picture....seems to contradict the statemens

I am blue, wife is red

http://www.dmitribobko.com/Dmitri/Pics/TaxQuestion.jpg

MikeHL
03-05-2009, 07:27 PM
I think the program is asking for your wifes income so they can transfer her credits on to you. ie you get to use you wife's basic personal credit of 9600 is she doesn't use them, there for reducing your taxes payable.

UndrgroundRider
03-05-2009, 07:55 PM
Originally posted by MikeHL
I think the program is asking for your wifes income so they can transfer her credits on to you. ie you get to use you wife's basic personal credit of 9600 is she doesn't use them, there for reducing your taxes payable.

+1. See line 303 of your Schedule 1.

eblend
03-06-2009, 07:48 AM
Originally posted by UndrgroundRider

+1. See line 303 of your Schedule 1.

Okay I will take a look today when i get home. I am blue in the picture so its asking for my income..she has no income..

blownz
03-06-2009, 11:17 AM
Start over and do them together in the program.

natejj
03-06-2009, 11:26 AM
My turn

I live in Fort Nelson, so I get the Northern Residents Deduction. its form T222 I believe. I have a roommate, but he lives at his girlfriends house. He pays rent, but has not slept here since AUGUST. So, do I get to claim the additional residency amount since the day he left? Thanks.

eblend
03-06-2009, 12:59 PM
Originally posted by blownz
Start over and do them together in the program.

I did together as well, and that calculated to be litte less (about 100 bucks) then separate, so was kind of curious. Maybe i will do it together just to avoid any confusion

blownz
03-06-2009, 02:10 PM
Filled out properly there should be no difference so something must be missing. :dunno:

The $1440 owing makes no sense. If you earn $0 for the year you would owe $0 in taxes. The $1440 is 15% of $9600 but I don't know why it would think she would owe that.

eblend
03-08-2009, 09:28 AM
Originally posted by blownz
Filled out properly there should be no difference so something must be missing. :dunno:

The $1440 owing makes no sense. If you earn $0 for the year you would owe $0 in taxes. The $1440 is 15% of $9600 but I don't know why it would think she would owe that.

Figured it out kind of, it asked me if her income was 0, and I said yes on my return, which made my return bigger if I was doing it separately, but in reality she made money on interest from a savings account, once i figured that out the numbers matched :)

thanks everyone