PDA

View Full Version : March Photo Theme - "Me"

D'z Nutz
03-05-2009, 10:33 PM
Okay guys, throw up some ideas for this month's theme.

My suggestion - "Me". Something that represents you, whether it be a self portrait, a photo of a family member or someone that inspires you, a hobby, whatever.

BerserkerCatSplat
03-05-2009, 10:37 PM
"Commerce"

Buying, selling, stores, goods, etc.

BlackArcher101
03-05-2009, 10:48 PM
Transportation

Melinda
03-05-2009, 11:46 PM
"Young". Young life, young plants, young trees (spring does start this month), young animals, etc.

BlackArcher101
03-06-2009, 12:01 AM
Young children perhaps? ;) I see what you did there.

Godfuader
03-06-2009, 12:37 AM
The Colour 'White'

...or if thats too vague: Change of Season (winter to spring)

GT.....O?
03-06-2009, 12:44 AM
a photo where you try capture body lines of a car

like this for example,,,, captured the bodylines nicely, IMO

http://www.thetorquereport.com/lamborghini_reventon_2.jpg

clem24
03-06-2009, 09:29 AM
<----W----I----D----E---->

89coupe
03-06-2009, 10:12 AM
Originally posted by clem24
&lt;----W----I----D----E----&gt;

I like it, it incorporates P A N O ' S

D'z Nutz
03-06-2009, 05:40 PM
Okay, time to vote!

flipstah
03-06-2009, 07:12 PM
Me.

Because I'm conceited.

KKY
03-06-2009, 11:18 PM
me! lets see those bathroom mirror shots! :D

Gibson
03-07-2009, 04:32 AM
Originally posted by 89coupe

I like it, it incorporates P A N O ' S

Seriously, do you get wet dreams at night about panoramas?

clem24
03-08-2009, 12:59 AM
LOL so ME is on top. I guess any kind of anonymity will be lost on a self portraits hahaha.

BlackArcher101
03-08-2009, 02:05 PM
Originally posted by clem24
LOL so ME is on top. I guess any kind of anonymity will be lost on a self portraits hahaha.

Doesn't have to be a self protrait... just something relating to "me".

89coupe
03-09-2009, 08:39 AM
Originally posted by Gibson

Seriously, do you get wet dreams at night about panoramas?

I really enjoy shooting pano's, you can capture so much more.

I know its not for everyone, it takes a lot more time, patience, and decent software to produce good results.

I think that is why a lot of people avoid it.

01RedDX
03-09-2009, 10:10 AM

reiRei
03-09-2009, 12:07 PM
just forces you to be creative with your self-portrait.. you don't essentially have to show your face to be a portrait of who you are

DNSRadio
03-11-2009, 05:27 PM
i think what everyone means by the "ME" concept is
what you think of yourself in an image

like who you are , and what others view you as.

am i correct on this?
if not.. someone care to correct me on this.

ZorroAMG
03-12-2009, 01:38 PM
Anyone see that Microsoft commercial of the 7yr old chick taking a panoramic shot of her couch cushion fort?

I could HELP but think of 89Coupe and lol a bit.

:D

89coupe
03-12-2009, 01:47 PM
Originally posted by ZorroAMG
Anyone see that Microsoft commercial of the 7yr old chick taking a panoramic shot of her couch cushion fort?

I'm a celebrity.

ZorroAMG
03-12-2009, 02:57 PM
I know, hey! :D

Melinda
03-13-2009, 12:23 AM
Originally posted by ZorroAMG

:rofl: You know it's bad when a 7 year old little girl taking photos is what reminds people of you.

kenny
03-13-2009, 12:31 AM
I know its not for everyone, it takes a lot more time, patience, and decent software to produce good results.

Thats the case with any good photograph.

Pano's are like HDR photos, take a series of photos and use software to create the final output. Except panos are way easier with today's software. You don't even need to align the photos perfectly to get good results.

89coupe
03-14-2009, 11:02 PM
Originally posted by kenny

Thats the case with any good photograph.

Pano's are like HDR photos, take a series of photos and use software to create the final output. Except panos are way easier with today's software. You don't even need to align the photos perfectly to get good results.

You still have to know how to take a photo, and since it takes more then one shot to make a pano, 9 out of 10 cases its way way more work then taking one shot.

Melinda
03-14-2009, 11:40 PM

You still have to know how to take a photo, and since it takes more then one shot to make a pano, 9 out of 10 cases its way way more work then taking one shot.
It's that hard to set your settings on your camera and take 10 very similar yet slightly rotated pictures in a row?

89coupe
03-14-2009, 11:42 PM
Originally posted by Melinda

It's that hard to set your settings on your camera and take 10 very similar yet slightly rotated pictures in a row?

Thats nine more then one shot.:dunno:

Melinda
03-15-2009, 12:28 AM

Thats nine more then one shot.:dunno:
You're right. 9 more pictures of the same subject, with the same settings at more or less the same angle, just slightly rotated. Yep, ansel adams type of shit right there.

89coupe
03-15-2009, 12:41 AM
Originally posted by Melinda

You're right. 9 more pictures of the same subject, with the same settings at more or less the same angle, just slightly rotated. Yep, ansel adams type of shit right there.

Well if its so easy, lets see yours.:confused:

BerserkerCatSplat
03-15-2009, 10:37 AM

Well if its so easy, lets see yours.:confused:

http://www.osphoto.ca/view/nature/imgs/img05.jpg

That's 17 stitched images, both horizontally and vertically, mostly hand-corrected. Panos are not difficult. :dunno:

89coupe
03-15-2009, 02:04 PM
Originally posted by BerserkerCatSplat

http://www.osphoto.ca/view/nature/imgs/img05.jpg

That's 17 stitched images, both horizontally and vertically, mostly hand-corrected. Panos are not difficult. :dunno:

Seems like such a waste displaying it so small, kind of pointless don't you think?

BerserkerCatSplat
03-15-2009, 02:08 PM
It's nicely screen-sized when you click on it. :dunno: I understand that not everyone has a hugeass high-res monitor so I scale them to make them easier to view for most people. Never had any complaints.

89coupe
03-15-2009, 03:13 PM
It's nicely screen-sized when you click on it. :dunno: I understand that not everyone has a hugeass high-res monitor so I scale them to make them easier to view for most people. Never had any complaints.

It defeats the purpose of the technique imo. It looks like a regular single frame photo.

BerserkerCatSplat
03-15-2009, 03:30 PM

It defeats the purpose of the technique imo. It looks like a regular single frame photo.

:facepalm: The reason it looks like a single-frame photo is that the aspect ratio is the same as an 8X10. If I posted a huge version, it would still have the same aspect ratio. That's because it's a biaxial panorama, the ones you do are uniaxial. The "purpose" is to create a photo that captures so much area it would be impossible to do with current lens technology, not to just show a horizontal pan that wouldn't capture the cloud structure I wanted to show. Got a 3.5mm distortionless rectilinear lens? Because that's what that shot would have needed without stitching.

"Defeats the purpose." :rofl:

89coupe
03-15-2009, 03:39 PM

:facepalm: The reason it looks like a single-frame photo is that the aspect ratio is the same as an 8X10. If I posted a huge version, it would still have the same aspect ratio. That's because it's a biaxial panorama, the ones you do are uniaxial. The &quot;purpose&quot; is to create a photo that captures so much area it would be impossible to do with current lens technology, not to just show a horizontal pan that wouldn't capture the cloud structure I wanted to show. Got a 3.5mm distortionless rectilinear lens? Because that's what that shot would have needed without stitching.

&quot;Defeats the purpose.&quot; :rofl:

Regardless, posting it that small just makes it look like a normal everyday photo. Sorry.:dunno:

Dirty_SOHC
03-15-2009, 04:12 PM

Seems like such a waste displaying it so small, kind of pointless don't you think?

Regardless, posting it that small just makes it look like a normal everyday photo. Sorry.:dunno:

Here is one of the Rules for the monthly contest- The largest side of your picture must be no bigger than 800 pixels. Dont you think, your Pano`s at 800 pixels wont be pointless aswell if entered into the contest?...lol:dunno:

89coupe
03-15-2009, 04:38 PM
Originally posted by Dirty_SOHC

Here is one of the Rules for the monthly contest- The largest side of your picture must be no bigger than 800 pixels. Dont you think, your Pano`s at 800 pixels wont be pointless aswell if entered into the contest?...lol:dunno:

Yes I agree, its one of the rules I brought up. 800 pixels is rather archaic in terms of moderm computers and monitors.

01RedDX
03-15-2009, 05:01 PM

BerserkerCatSplat
03-15-2009, 05:10 PM
Originally posted by 01RedDX

A modern 17&quot; LCD Monitor has a 1024x768 resolution - smaller than 800 on one side. :dunno:

Didn't you know that if you don't own a monitor large enough to display his 2000 pixel panos natively, you're living in the stone age?

Melinda
03-15-2009, 11:21 PM

:facepalm: The reason it looks like a single-frame photo is that the aspect ratio is the same as an 8X10. If I posted a huge version, it would still have the same aspect ratio. That's because it's a biaxial panorama, the ones you do are uniaxial. The &quot;purpose&quot; is to create a photo that captures so much area it would be impossible to do with current lens technology, not to just show a horizontal pan that wouldn't capture the cloud structure I wanted to show. Got a 3.5mm distortionless rectilinear lens? Because that's what that shot would have needed without stitching.

&quot;Defeats the purpose.&quot; :rofl:

My goodness Trevor, how DARE you think that your post of a pano of 17 photo stitches in 2 different directions with a subject of clouds that (if I recall correctly) were moving incredibly quickly, and autumn light that was fading by the second, is anywhere close to the calibur of 89coupe's redundant non moving skyline and winter tree photos. Definate fail by my standards, total snapshot look to it. :rolleyes:

Give me an effing break. Even if that was one photo it's still a phenominal image that is no where near to looking like a snap shot.

Panos are like HDRs to me. Nice enough when done right but completely overdone thanks to the 'technology-for-dummies' era and useless in a lot of situations. I remember 89coupe saying panos are teh best because it allows a person to get more into a photo. That's not always a good thing. Too much to look at often takes away from the impact a photo has on a person.

D'z Nutz
03-30-2009, 05:33 PM
Deadline's tomorrow!