PDA

View Full Version : Mazda RX-8

Pages : [1] 2

mac70135
03-06-2009, 08:42 AM
So I'm planning on buying this car and i've already read all the reviews about it and it says nothing but good things about the car's looks, performance, and handling.

But I wanna hear opinions from personal experience about the car's reliability, cost of maintenance, is it good on gas? is it hard to maintain? what price range should i be looking at? how well does it drive during winter? I don't care if there's absolutely no legroom in the rear seats, I drive an '02 RSX Premium so it's nothing new to me, it's not like i'm sitting there anyway :nut:

Redlyne_mr2
03-06-2009, 09:00 AM
Rotten had a terrible experience with his.

http://forums.beyond.ca/st/179910/my-rant-kramer-mazda/

theyre horrible on fuel, use oil, are hard to start in the cold, arent very quick.

tsi_neal
03-06-2009, 09:06 AM
owned one for a year. I miss the car but at the same time I dont...

The power is mediocre and only there if you rev the piss out of it, Im not one to want to tool around over 6000rpm. Fuel economy is poor, if you drive it really well its poor and if you have fun with the car it gets worse.

I had a clutch dramatically fail on me (the rivet's that hold it together sheered) at 19,000km, Mazda pretty much laughed in my face when I suggested that it should be warranty. Followed up with Mazda canada and couldnt even get a reply.

Trunk space is smaller than you think, good luck fitting anything in the car.

Aside from those complaints I was very happy with the car, drove incredibly well, was very comfortable and well layed out.

heavyD
03-06-2009, 10:41 AM
I know a guy that owned one and he said it was the worst car he's ever owned. He got rid of it after two years and had alot of the same complaints as others including catalytic converter replacements, no torque, numerous CEL's, oil consumption and apparently just adding oil is a pain in the but. Also the leather bolsters on the seats were cracking bad for a relatively new car. Everyone seems to like the car's handling and style but the car doesn't delivery on power or reliability.

Stunt66
03-06-2009, 10:58 AM
Don't read reviews on the car when they're just testing it out. I wanted one a few years back and when i searched around the net i found a lot of bad things about the car from actual owners.

RX_EVOLV
03-06-2009, 03:13 PM
I'm going to speak as an actual owner, so first hand info. No complains here. Bought it brand new back in summer 2006

1) fuel consumption is pretty bad, but that shouldn't be a surprise to you if you are looking into a RX8. Im averaging ~ 13.6L/100km city driving. ~ 11L on highway

2) oil consumption. Yes it consumes more oil than your avg car, which again shouldn't be news to you, but it is not nearly as bad as what the above posters have suggested. I say ~1 bottle every 2500km, so once a month except when you get an oil change. not bad at all.

3) power. yes, it is not that powerful ( at least compare to the WRX), but it is a load of fun to drive especially with 9000rpm. I find that most ppl who says it is extremely underpower is because they are not used to driving a 9k rpm engine, cuz if you really need the rx8 to perform you pretty much have constantly hold the rev above 6000rpm +. Still you wont get the same push-you-to-the-back-of-your-seat feeling as you would in something like a WRX or even S2k, since the power delivery is very smooth and even throughout the 9k rpm, you wont get the sudden surge in power at higher rev that you might be used to in other cars.

4) maintenance. 3 years now, havent had any major problems yet, just a few broken sun visor, bin cover, condensation in the tail light.

5) Winter. I drive my car every winter and I have had no problem with it ( as long as you have winter tire) once you get use to the little fish tailing, it drives as well as any other car (except compare to the WRX I guess, that thing w/ winter tire is absolutely god like). Never had any problem starting it in the winter, even at -40

6) Style. It is a head turner for sure, gets alot of attention no matter where you go, something I dont remotely experience in the WRX. one time I even had this soccer mom rolling down the window in her mini van while driving down Glenmore shouting "nice color!!".. wtf... not something im proud of but it happens more often than one would imagine.

7) Trunk space. It is actually not too bad but the opening is really narrow though, so its hard to hit items like a full size suit case, but otherwise it can hold alot of stuff. Just as an example, the trunk can actually hold 2 sets of golf clubs and then some.

8) Leather. my leather is fine but I clean/condition it every 2 weeks and I also have it w/ alcantara insert, so I cant really comment.

Sorry If I sound too much like a fan boy, but I havent had any bad problems with it, so i'm just speaking from experience. I can tell you yes.. it is underpower compare to something like a WRX ( but handles alot better), yes it uses more gas than our SUV RX330. Yes you need to monitor your oil every 3rd fill up.. yes its not the most practical car in the world, and yes it uses a rotary engine.... but... looking back now would I have gotten something else? absolutely not...

loving it everyday ! Good luck with your purchase

http://i57.photobucket.com/albums/g231/rx_evolv/IMG_3783.jpg

cloud7
03-06-2009, 03:27 PM
I suggest getting anything newer than 06. Most people with issues own the earlier versions of the car. I have not heard of any flooding/engine issues with 06 or after RX-8s. The 8 is poor on fuel for the power that it makes, but it isn't really that bad IMO. It is just too bad that they didn't put a large fuel tank in the thing. I get about 350 km per tank before the light comes on. Oil consumption is an issue but like any cars, just keep an eye on it. I usually just check once a month and usually only needs to add 1/2L between oil changes. Adding oil is not a pain, but checking it can be... make sure you have a flashlight when you are checking it in the dark because putting back the dipstick could be challenging in the dark. This is a problem that they have solved in the MY09 cars. Rear leg room is better than a RSX... I am always surprise how well people can fit back there.

Battery that comes with the newer cars are very strong and I have never had problems starting the car after parked outside on the coldest days. It drives very well in the winter with a set of winter tires... it is actually very fun driving around in a RWD in the snow... the most fun I've had in any cars I owned in the winter. Traction control is a bit too restrictive in the snow IMO.... I guess that is good for people who are clueless about winter driving a rwd car.

Personally I have actually never had any problems with the car. I wish it has more power because the chassis is so much more capable. Very livable car day-to-day. Besides scheduled maintenance, I have not incurred any extra costs while owning the car.

Genjuro
03-06-2009, 03:34 PM
if you happen to be one of those people that doesn't like torque, you'll love this car!

CTSV
03-06-2009, 04:15 PM
I like the car but with an LS motor and 6 speed trans. Cures the low power, having to rev for any power and oil consumption. Probably get better gas mileage as well.

mac70135
03-06-2009, 04:41 PM
Seems to me like people have just as much problems dealing with the service shop than the car itself... :dunno:
I've read something about the "Shinka" edition as well, any opinions on that?

Team_Mclaren
03-06-2009, 04:53 PM
Originally posted by RX_EVOLV

well put, pretty much exactly what i was gonna say.

Yes, below 6k its pretty slow. So its pretty much like an AP1 in terms of power and delivery. Yet all the honda fanboys love the s2000.
I too have never had any problems. Driving in winter is fine as long as you have winters. Starting in the cold isnt a problem as long as you have a strong battery and hold it/dont let it flood.

http://members.shaw.ca/team_Mclaren/IMG_3682.jpg

This is my Shinka, not much different than a GT, special ext/int color, sat radio, different accents etc. I belivee RX_EVOLV's is a shinka too, but his is the cooper red from 06, mine is an 05.

http://members.shaw.ca/team_Mclaren/sss%20csssopy.jpg

rc2002
03-06-2009, 05:17 PM
Power delivery in this car is not comparable to an S2000. The redlines might be similar but that's about it.

The one thing that stuck out when I test drove the RX8 is how gutless it felt in the high revs. The engine was screaming but the car really wasn't accelerating very fast.

If they put a decent engine in the RX8, I bet they would've sold a lot more of them. I think they look great, and have better than average interiors.

Team_Mclaren
03-06-2009, 05:35 PM
Originally posted by richardchan2002
Power delivery in this car is not comparable to an S2000. The redlines might be similar but that's about it.

The one thing that stuck out when I test drove the RX8 is how gutless it felt in the high revs. The engine was screaming but the car really wasn't accelerating very fast.

If they put a decent engine in the RX8, I bet they would've sold a lot more of them. I think they look great, and have better than average interiors.

and the s2000 feels fast in high revs? according to stock dyno between an AP1 and Rx8, the difference is <10hp.

tsi_neal
03-06-2009, 05:43 PM
Originally posted by Team_Mclaren

and the s2000 feels fast in high revs? according to stock dyno between an AP1 and Rx8, the difference is &lt;10hp.

Ive only driven a S2K once, but the vtec cam pulls harder than the 8, or at least feels that way. I wouldnt compare the two cars in terms of power delivery at all.

Mitsu3000gt
03-06-2009, 05:45 PM
I've driven them a few times, and was very underwhelmed every time. Unless you rev the piss out of it you aren't going anywhere fast, and even then, its still not fast it just sounds louder. It feels like it has very little power all the time, regardless of what the engine is doing. Handling was acceptable, interior is average at best. It badly needs some torque IMO. The engine from the Mazdaspeed 6 would have made these cars far more interesting.

Akagi Redsuns
03-06-2009, 05:51 PM
Originally posted by tsi_neal

Ive only driven a S2K once, but the vtec cam pulls harder than the 8, or at least feels that way. I wouldnt compare the two cars in terms of power delivery at all.

The difference is small in regards to the horsepower, but the RX-8 does have a flatter torque curve. Looking at a S2000 dyno, when the cam switches over to the aggressive lobes ~6,200 RPM, the torque has a significant increase and it would give the feeling of having more power. Sorta similar to driving a V8 and wondering where the power is after the initial surge of torque when comparing it to a small displacement turbocharged car when the turbo starts to spool.........hmmm kinda.

I'm totally mixed about the RX-8 being a fan of the RX-7. I like the modern feel, handling and styling, but I do miss the rush and sounds of a turbocharged rotary, but I did enjoy the sound of going past 8,000 RPM in a RX-8 with an open intake though...what a sound!

RX_EVOLV
03-06-2009, 06:14 PM
No one is arguing that the RX8 is not under power, but its not like it has NO power, so I think the best is for you to actually test drive one and see if its something you want.

I belivee RX_EVOLV's is a shinka too, but his is the cooper red from 06, mine is an 05.

Correct. I have the 2006 Shinka, which has the same upgrade as your 05 shinka (polished rims, piano black panel on steering wheel/center beam etc, upgraded suspension, standard side strakes). Only difference is 05 has Black cherry exterior with Sand leather interior and trunk spoiler while 06 has Copper Red exterior + Alcantara interior and no trunk spoiler.

Mind you back then the shinka was only ~ $800 more than the GT, so I dont think they will be that much more expensive in the used market, unless the 'rare' factor comes into play. I think there are only a handful of 06' shinka in Alberta ( ~ 15? )

RX_EVOLV
03-06-2009, 06:19 PM
Originally posted by richardchan2002

yep I have driven both and they are really not comparable, the Vtec in the S2k really give you the 'kick' that you wont experience in the rx8, which is a shame, but overall performance wise they are pretty similar, which is awesome for the rx8 cause you are playing with 2 backseats and a trunk

ryanallan
03-06-2009, 06:25 PM
I love mine !

Winter driving is much better compared to my FWD DSM. The RX8 has ABS and DSC which really help. And being able to turn off DSC and go drifting around the neighborhood is something I couldn't do before.

Gas mileage sucks, but its not really that big of a deal. I have been tracking my fuel consumption for the past 8 months, and average about 17mpg.

The rear seats are surprisingly useful. Girls have no problem back there, free-style doors are :thumbsup:

As mentioned above, oil consumption is necessary for rotary operation, so this shouldn't worry you. Note the harder you drive -> more oil will be injected. And as the owners manual outlines, check the level every 2 fill ups.

As for the power, its not like this car is slow. 0-60mph 6 sec which is the same as the S2000 and 0.5sec slower than the 350Z. There is enough power to have fun with and thats all that really matters.
While we are comparing the power delivery to the S2000, the RX8 has valves in the intake manifold that open up at different engine speeds. I think there are 3 sets of valves. The last set to open at ~7800RPM gives you a small nudge forward. Its kind of like a weak V-TEC haha

Mazda just extended the warranty to 8 years 100k miles (I have confirmed this with a Canadian dealer).
I have done basic maintenance work (change oil, tranny, and diff fluid, spark plugs, air filter) and its pretty straight forward.

ill continue the trend with a pic !
Doesn't it look like a fun car do drive ?
http://img15.imageshack.us/img15/7213/img0403m.jpg (http://img15.imageshack.us/my.php?image=img0403m.jpg)

Lex350
03-06-2009, 07:55 PM
Worse than the reliability issues I had with the car were my experinves with the dealers. They seem to think that the warranty is just a suggestion.I had to fight them every time I took my car in.when the car worked I loved it but that wasn't that often. The dealers are the reason I won't ever look at another Mazda again!

heavyD
03-07-2009, 10:47 AM
Originally posted by rotten42
Worse than the reliability issues I had with the car were my experinves with the dealers. They seem to think that the warranty is just a suggestion.I had to fight them every time I took my car in.when the car worked I loved it but that wasn't that often. The dealers are the reason I won't ever look at another Mazda again!

I went through similar issues with my wife's 2002 Protege 5 in regards to warranty which is also why I won't buy a Mazda ever again.

4doorj
03-07-2009, 10:51 AM
Few years ago I was going to buy a rx8 until i read up on all the horror stories. I love the styling and the back seats. The interior is :thumbsup: especially the red/black interior:drool:
I would totally buy the car if it had a better motor ( i know i know its suppose to be a rotory motor.) I just love the styling of the car. Reliability is a huge factor for me.

403Gemini
03-07-2009, 11:59 AM
Anybody know why they would put a weaker engine in the RX-8 vs the RX-7? I don't know the mechanics of both engines, I know they're both rotary. I would assume the rx-8 is more reliable but just seems stupid for a manufacturer to make the "Successor model" to have 23 less hp. I would have expected them to UP the HP to about 275-280 and actually found a way to refine rotary technology.

ryanallan
03-07-2009, 12:24 PM
I think emissions had a lot to do with it

heavyD
03-07-2009, 03:18 PM
Originally posted by ryanallan
I think emissions had a lot to do with it

Emissions are part of the reason but reliability is the largest reason. The FD's were a major warranty headache for Mazda and making an NA rotary reliable is challenging enough.

badatusrnames
03-07-2009, 03:32 PM
Originally posted by 403Gemini
Anybody know why they would put a weaker engine in the RX-8 vs the RX-7? I don't know the mechanics of both engines, I know they're both rotary. I would assume the rx-8 is more reliable but just seems stupid for a manufacturer to make the &quot;Successor model&quot; to have 23 less hp. I would have expected them to UP the HP to about 275-280 and actually found a way to refine rotary technology.

From what I understand, the RX-8 is not considered a "successor" to the RX-7 by Mazda.

I think they were actually talking about building a new RX-7 that would be more of a performance car.

I see what you mean though, sort of like how the 350Z released in 2002 was a slower car than the 300ZXTT built in 1989....

sillysod
03-07-2009, 04:35 PM
I had a RX8 for a week and thought it was terrible. The power was pathetic for a "sports car", i mean it felt about as fast as a miata or 4 cylinder altima.

IMO it's a great car for girls and a nice upgrade from a celica. But as far as a sports car goes, i think it is a joke. My buddies SUV beat it in a straight line :nut:

QuasarCav
03-07-2009, 04:59 PM
Originally posted by sillysod
I had a RX8 for a week and thought it was terrible. The power was pathetic for a &quot;sports car&quot;, i mean it felt about as fast as a miata or 4 cylinder altima.

IMO it's a great car for girls and a nice upgrade from a celica. But as far as a sports car goes, i think it is a joke. My buddies SUV beat it in a straight line :nut:

Than the car is clearly not for you. I envy the handling and balance of the car while still be able to carry 4 people. I own a car with tonnes of torque but it's just not fun to drive and you can't use all that power in the city.

I've wanted one for a while but it's the reliability that keeps me away. The warranty increase is tempting but I don't feel they have the dealer support to back it up.

sillysod
03-07-2009, 05:15 PM
Originally posted by QuasarCav

Than the car is clearly not for you. I envy the handling and balance of the car while still be able to carry 4 people. I own a car with tonnes of torque but it's just not fun to drive and you can't use all that power in the city.

I've wanted one for a while but it's the reliability that keeps me away. The warranty increase is tempting but I don't feel they have the dealer support to back it up.

bang on... it is basically a 4 seater miata, that handles almost as well.

President Obama
03-07-2009, 06:12 PM
I find this interesting being a tech at mazda. imo an rx8 is a great car as long as the owner knows how to take care of it. reving it before turning it off reduces chances of flooding which is the biggest issue. As of 09 the motor has been changed. One customer of ours has been driving the car for 6 months and already has 30,000km's on it and it runs great. honestly the 09's look alot more promising compared to the older 13b's. Only time will tell i guess.

4doorj
03-07-2009, 06:14 PM
Originally posted by President Obama
I find this interesting being a tech at mazda. imo an rx8 is a great car as long as the owner knows how to take care of it. reving it before turning it off reduces chances of flooding which is the biggest issue. As of 09 the motor has been changed. One customer of ours has been driving the car for 6 months and already has 30,000km's on it and it runs great. honestly the 09's look alot more promising compared to the older 13b's. Only time will tell i guess.
Whats different with the 09 motors?

cloud7
03-07-2009, 06:25 PM
Comparing the power of a rx-8 and a miata is bit hash. Having driven both, the RX-8 definitely has a more responsive engine (in terms of power) than the miata and you don't have to wait for the power to come as much as the miata. The miata is more of a momentum car with great handling characteristics, which it certainly needs to not loose too much speeds in the corners.

sidewaysD
03-07-2009, 06:45 PM
one thing about the RX8

WTF IS with the oil filter?

so hard to get at when its do it yourself thing!

timmmmmay
03-07-2009, 06:45 PM
The RX8 is really nice and they are really fast. I don't know what people are talking about.

I was draging one from a roll and he beat me by 3 car lengths and chirped the tires shifting.

Alak
03-07-2009, 06:55 PM
Rx-8 is a nice smooth daily driver that you can take your friends with you. It goes fast enough, handles well enough, and looks good enough. If it was good on gas, it would be called an MX-5.

If you want to turn heads, be pushed in the seat, have a ride like a race car, your looking at the wrong car. Theres at least 20 faster cars out there for the price.

If you want a normal great driving sports sedan (it does have 4 doors and 4 seats, and it did replace a sedan in japan) then your looking at a great car.

In a nutshell, the car is great fun. I enjoy driving it.

Lex350
03-07-2009, 07:03 PM
If you buy the rx8 for straight lime performance then you are missing the point.

Aleks
03-07-2009, 07:15 PM
Originally posted by RX_EVOLV
I'm going to speak as an actual owner, so first hand info. No complains here. Bought it brand new back in summer 2006

2) oil consumption. Yes it consumes more oil than your avg car, which again shouldn't be news to you, but it is not nearly as bad as what the above posters have suggested. I say ~1 bottle every 2500km, so once a month except when you get an oil change. not bad at all.

http://i57.photobucket.com/albums/g231/rx_evolv/IMG_3783.jpg

That's about how much my GTI goes through. 1 quart every 3k. VW says it's well within normal operating parameters for a DI engine. :dunno:

timmmmmay
03-07-2009, 07:19 PM
Originally posted by rotten42
If you buy the rx8 for straight lime performance then you are missing the point.

they are fast in a drag race. i know

awsome revving sound

spN7ha-IxVI

wikid burnout

AHNT7bR9-y8

badatusrnames
03-07-2009, 07:28 PM
Originally posted by timmmmmay

awsome revving sound

spN7ha-IxVI

wikid burnout

AHNT7bR9-y8

I don't see what those videos have proven.

This is an RX-8 vs. a 300ZX NA, which aren't fast:

DvjlcsFuKz4

I wouldn't even consider my twin turbo a really fast car. You must have pretty low standards... I'd hate to see what you consider a slow car.

But like someone said, if you're buying an RX-8 for speed, you're missing the point. Good chick cars though now that they don't make the Celica or RSX anymore...

Alak
03-07-2009, 07:49 PM
One of the reasons I bought my first Rx-7 many many years ago was because there was a buzzer when it hit redline. Car was beyond slow (18 second 1/4 mile) but it was a blast to drive. It did 120MPH on the flat.

I kept buying them because I liked it, not because everyone else liked it.

President Obama
03-07-2009, 08:48 PM
Originally posted by 4doorj

Whats different with the 09 motors?

I will actually have to look at the service highlights. never really looked into it. My friend who works beside me does all the rx8 work so i will have to ask him. I service auto transmissions and re-seal cx7 pto's

Originally posted by sidewaysD
one thing about the RX8

WTF IS with the oil filter?

so hard to get at when its do it yourself thing!

don't be affraid, after 20 some odd years of the 13b having the filter on top is has now been relocated to the bottom of the motor beside the oil pan.

timmmmmay
03-07-2009, 09:22 PM
Do the RX8's do this because of the rotary high power band? or is it just because they use so much fuel (the reason for bad fuel mileage?) that it shoots the gas out of the dual mufflers exhausts?

0Fy6D72MjjI

REUDsynFniI

yTCJZLFc9Po

the more i read about these cars the more cool they are...

badatusrnames
03-07-2009, 09:43 PM
^^ That's badass... it would be even cooler if they were quicker, then anyone drag racing them would be able to get that view as well....

Lex350
03-07-2009, 10:09 PM
Originally posted by timmmmmay

awsome revving sound

spN7ha-IxVI

wikid burnout

AHNT7bR9-y8

ah..... no! I owned one for 4 years. They aren't fast in a straight line but really fun to throw into a corner way too fast. :D

BigMass
03-08-2009, 12:21 AM
Originally posted by 4doorj
Few years ago I was going to buy a rx8 until i read up on all the horror stories. I love the styling and the back seats. The interior is :thumbsup: especially the red/black interior:drool:
I would totally buy the car if it had a better motor ( i know i know its suppose to be a rotory motor.) I just love the styling of the car. Reliability is a huge factor for me.

bing! that's the same reason i got my S2000. I loved EVERYTHING about the RX8 except the motor. Which is a shame really.

IMO that car could have been a best seller for Mazda had it had a couple of standard engine options and they forgot about the rotary all together

sillysod
03-08-2009, 10:02 AM
350z imo is a sports car, mustang gt imo is a sports car.

The RX8 may shoot flames, and may be "sporty" but if it can be easily beat by a 4 door sedan or suv it is not a sports car.

sporty cars maybe, but they are about as much a sports car as a celica, saturn SC2 coupe... etc. or even my moms 2 door altima.

LUCKYSTRIKE
03-08-2009, 01:15 PM
lol as much sports car as your moms altima? thats a little harsh =P

they are a sports car there is no question about it, they arent boasting 300 hp but they handle amazingly and can hold their own against the 350z, s2000, mustang gt.

at least motortrend and car and driver seem to think so.

http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/coupes/112_0403_compact_sport_coupe_comparison/2004_mazda_rx_8.html

http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/comparison_test/coupes/2007_ford_mustang_shelby_gt_vs_2007_mazda_rx_8_2007_nissan_350z_2008_audi_tt_2_0t_comparison_test+page-5.html

ClearBluewater
03-08-2009, 11:50 PM
Originally posted by mac70135
So I'm planning on buying this car and i've already read all the reviews about it and it says nothing but good things about the car's looks, performance, and handling.

But I wanna hear opinions from personal experience about the car's reliability, cost of maintenance, is it good on gas? is it hard to maintain? what price range should i be looking at? how well does it drive during winter? I don't care if there's absolutely no legroom in the rear seats, I drive an '02 RSX Premium so it's nothing new to me, it's not like i'm sitting there anyway :nut:

Hahaha dude i'm like 100% sure i smoked shesha with you on Saturday. SMALL WORLD

mac70135
03-09-2009, 12:23 PM
Keep in mind that I'm switching from an RSX to a Mazda RX-8 so it will actually feel a lot faster than my car :nut:
I'm not too worried about power either because I have a bike that will rape most cars out there, I just like it because of its looks, styling, and an above average interior.

The only thing that's keeping me away from pulling the trigger is the reliability issue of the car/dealership :dunno:

mac70135
03-10-2009, 04:08 PM
just checked out the '09 RX-8's very nice!
i wouldn't buy them brand new though...

sillysod
03-10-2009, 04:28 PM
why would you buy a 2 door "sports" car that is slow? it's like a 2 door cavalier or focus. i just don't get it.

Team_Mclaren
03-10-2009, 04:48 PM
Originally posted by sillysod
why would you buy a 2 door &quot;sports&quot; car that is slow? it's like a 2 door cavalier or focus. i just don't get it.

slow in what? a drag race? sure
on the track? handling? no

Dante
03-10-2009, 11:26 PM
I own rx-8 I love the car especially HANDLING! when u turn corner, u will love cornering! I cant beat all cars, but not cornering! and stylish. kiki

mac70135
03-11-2009, 11:03 AM
Is it worth buying the Used Car Dealership's $2400 extended warranty on a 2004 RX-8 with 100000kms on it?

Ntense_SpecV
03-11-2009, 11:17 AM
Is it worth buying the Used Car Dealership's $2400 extended warranty on a 2004 RX-8 with 100000kms on it?

How long is the warranty good for? For $2400 it better be good for at least 3-4 years from now. What's the cost of the car? Did you want to mod it? Ask those questions to yourself. If you are waffling on any answer than you should walk away and find a different car that's more reliable no matter what styling it has.

clem24
03-11-2009, 11:46 AM
To all the smrt people that think this isn't a sports car.. What the hell is it?

On our private track days at Race City on the south part of the circuit only, the RX8 bested my MR2, modified STi, NSX (well that's because he can't drive :rofl: ), highly tuned AE86 (with a skilled driver), and a couple more. It's all about the handling. Look at the Miata. That car isn't going to win any drag races, but it sure as hell is a sports car. Power isn't everything. Heck, people can win drag races in a minivan. Yippee.

Put it this way. If you were having a spirited drive down a twisty mountain road, which car would you pick? A.) RX8 B.) STi C.) Altima Coupe... (answer is A). STi you'd probably understeer into the side of the mountain. Plus the cockpit is just a sedan cockpit. Nothing envelopes you like an RX8 does, including seating position, shifter, etc, etc, etc.... Altima.. You'll probably get sick from all the swaying.

Enough said.

911fever
03-11-2009, 11:53 AM
i drove one, and the power delivery at over 6k was so disappointing that i resolved to stop test driving Mazda's!

okay... it wasn't that bad.. but it was terrible

mac70135
03-11-2009, 12:09 PM
the warranty is only for 30000kms or 3yrs whichever comes first, the warranty is $2400 and i'm buying it for $15000.

is it worth it?

clem24
03-11-2009, 01:06 PM
the warranty is only for 30000kms or 3yrs whichever comes first, the warranty is $2400 and i'm buying it for $15000.

is it worth it?

Well, what does it cover exactly? What kind of stipulations?

Tarrantula
03-11-2009, 01:08 PM
My extended warranty for my murano was only 1150 and its 4 years and 100k kms... covers engine and tranny..

What company is yours through?

Eleanor
03-11-2009, 01:11 PM
:rofl: You don't buy an RX-8 for straight line speed. As people have already mentioned, the car handles like it's on rails.

If you want to go fast in a straight line get a Mustang :thumbsup:

clem24
03-11-2009, 02:54 PM
Originally posted by Eleanor
If you want to go fast in a straight line get a Mustang :thumbsup:

Or an STi :D

Or Escalade.. Or Blazer SS. :rofl:

Sorath
03-11-2009, 03:00 PM
Originally posted by clem24
To all the smrt people that think this isn't a sports car.. What the hell is it?

On our private track days at Race City on the south part of the circuit only, the RX8 bested my MR2, modified STi, NSX (well that's because he can't drive :rofl: ), highly tuned AE86 (with a skilled driver), and a couple more. It's all about the handling. Look at the Miata. That car isn't going to win any drag races, but it sure as hell is a sports car. Power isn't everything. Heck, people can win drag races in a minivan. Yippee.

Put it this way. If you were having a spirited drive down a twisty mountain road, which car would you pick? A.) RX8 B.) STi C.) Altima Coupe... (answer is A). STi you'd probably understeer into the side of the mountain. Plus the cockpit is just a sedan cockpit. Nothing envelopes you like an RX8 does, including seating position, shifter, etc, etc, etc.... Altima.. You'll probably get sick from all the swaying.

Enough said.

i`d pick the sti, ur scenario doesnt really work. its more driver than anything imo and ur comparing cars in totally different classes, the rx8 pretty much loses to everything in its class. the sti understeers but give me a break it doesnt understeer that bad, ur trying to tell me the rx8 handles better than the sti? rofl.

edit: to the op, theres much better cars u can buy for the price of the rx8.

403Gemini
03-11-2009, 04:21 PM
^^ werd STi baby!!!

And Sorath HATES his STi so if he's picking that over the rx-8.... ;)

badatusrnames
03-11-2009, 07:02 PM
Clarkson likes:

QRiPSlx8PxA

And a sports car isn't necessarily about raw power and straight line speed, look at the Miata, Elise, RX-8, etc. Lower power cars that handle well and have a sports car "setup."

heavyD
03-11-2009, 07:40 PM
Originally posted by badatusrnames
Clarkson likes:

QRiPSlx8PxA

And a sports car isn't necessarily about raw power and straight line speed, look at the Miata, Elise, RX-8, etc. Lower power cars that handle well and have a sports car &quot;setup.&quot;

I know everyone loves the show but really who cares what Clarkson likes?

Also the Miata, Elise, RX-8 are slow. Slow is slow is slow. There's no way around the fact that these cars can't keep up to alot of V6 powered family sedans in a straight line. Sure they handle great but I'm not spending my hard earned money on SLOW.

If you love the RX-8 for its handling good for you but it's not the complete package. For the money it's too slow unless you are the type of person that could settle on being with a fat chick because she has a nice personality. I would rather get a hot chick with a nice personality but that's me.

badatusrnames
03-11-2009, 08:05 PM
Originally posted by heavyD
If you love the RX-8 for its handling good for you but it's not the complete package. For the money it's too slow unless you are the type of person that could settle on being with a fat chick because she has a nice personality. I would rather get a hot chick with a nice personality but that's me.

Haha great analogy. But yeah, I wouldn't personally be able to suffer through the lack of power even if the car was great handling...

cloud7
03-11-2009, 11:21 PM
Originally posted by Sorath

the sti understeers but give me a break it doesnt understeer that bad, ur trying to tell me the rx8 handles better than the sti? rofl.

There is no question that the 8 handles better than the STi. I have driven both at Race City at the limit. The STi makes up tons of time on the straights and it is an easier car to drive fast (confidence inpiring) without worrying about putting it off it the grass.

RX_EVOLV
03-11-2009, 11:51 PM
I dont understand why the RX8 being slowER (its still fast, just not STi fast) is such a big deal. For day to day driving I know I have more fun taking corners and stuff than getting from the red light to speed limit half a second or less quicker.

If you want straight line speed, buy a mustang... or you can buy a new accord, doesnt those thing have 300 hp and can get you to 100 in like 6 sec or something?

Team_Mclaren
03-12-2009, 12:18 AM
by some of these guys logic, we should all buy a neon SRT-4 or the new SS. YET, not everyone has one.. i wonder why...

Sorath
03-12-2009, 01:03 AM
actually new ss is faster than the rx8 lol

Team_Mclaren
03-12-2009, 01:07 AM
Originally posted by Sorath
actually new ss is faster than the rx8 lol

thats why i pointed it out? its also faster and cheaper than the wrx265/GTi/MS3/Si/.... so whats your point? we should all go buy one?

Sorath
03-12-2009, 01:08 AM
no but neither should we all buy rx8's :devil:

403Gemini
03-12-2009, 01:10 AM

thats why i pointed it out? its also faster and cheaper than the wrx265/GTi/MS3/Si/.... so whats your point? we should all go buy one?

If you're in the market for a fast fwd car, then yes. The price of new rx-8's is retardidly high for what you get, when you put your foot down in a sports car you should feel it and you don't get that kick from an rx-8. Albeit, you can handle well in the corners, but exiting the corner theres no juice, so that mustang is just going to catch right back up ;)

Team_Mclaren
03-12-2009, 01:14 AM
^ why didnt you get the new SS or SRT-4 but opted for a WRX? or an older S4?

what im trying to say is, everyone has different preference when buying a car, power isnt everything nor is handling. when you put all those factors together, then you look at whats available and for what price.

TheCheff
03-12-2009, 01:28 AM
What kind of aftermarket support is there for the rx-8??? Any bolt ons that can significantly increase hp? or any turbo setups out there?

heavyD
03-12-2009, 07:13 AM
what im trying to say is, everyone has different preference when buying a car, power isnt everything nor is handling. when you put all those factors together, then you look at whats available and for what price.

Which is exactly why the RX-8 has been a poor seller for Mazda and the 350Z has been a great seller for Nissan. Mazda sells another car for almost $10K less which is faster in a straight line and handles really well for the majority of people out there. 159 lb/ft just doesn't cut it in the +30K price range.

Eleanor
03-12-2009, 07:38 AM
Originally posted by TheCheff
What kind of aftermarket support is there for the rx-8??? Any bolt ons that can significantly increase hp? or any turbo setups out there? http://www.rx8club.com/forumdisplay.php?f=93

403Gemini
03-12-2009, 10:48 AM
^ why didnt you get the new SS or SRT-4 but opted for a WRX? or an older S4?

Because I didn't want a fast FWD car.

I wanted a 4dr car (check)
I wanted a quick car (check)
I wanted AWD (check)
I wanted something with torque (check)
I wanted a car that handles very well (check)
I wanted a car with tons of aftermarket (check)

Sounds like I got what i wanted :dunno:

All these comparisons from everybody in this thread are ludacris really, not many of the comparisons are rx-8 vs anything in the same category, cause frankly, there isn't much in that category. 350z/g35 would be closest, maybe a mustang, but the 265 wrx, srt-4's, ss's, they are all cars in a different class.

Akagi Redsuns
03-13-2009, 06:41 AM
Originally posted by heavyD

snip...........
159 lb/ft just doesn't cut it in the +30K price range.

Wow, I wonder what do you think about the S2000 with its paltry 161 lb/ft in the +50K price range?

I like the RX-8, but this car really desevers a turbo rotary that is better than the one that was in the lastest iteration of the RX-7, so at least 276 HP and 243 lb/ft but with actual engineering from Mazda to make it realiable from the factory instead of making the so by replacing the plastic AST, vaccum lines, upgrading the radiator...etc.

The RX-8 reminds me of the 240SX from the late 80s/early 90s. Good handler and fun to drive but gutless as Nissan put in the KA24 instead of the turbo SR20 it was given in Japan.

sillysod
03-13-2009, 07:58 AM
I really don't know much about japaneese cars, all i know is that when I pulled out in this thing to pass on the higway by revelstoke i had a maxima totally up my ass and as soon as i passed and moved over (with my foot to the floor) the maxima blew the doors off of me.

When a 4 door sedan can pass a sports car I have a tough time with it.

It's not 1940's anymore where a open cockpit gutless 2 seat vehicle was considered a sports car. it's 2009 and IMO to be a sports car you should have atleast enough power to pass on the highway.

4doorj
03-14-2009, 10:25 PM
Saw that special edition rx8 at the car show today :drool: :drool:

(not the exact one at the show)
http://www.cars.com/features/autoshows/2008/detroit/coverage/images/2009_mazda_rx_8/2009_mazda_rx_8_0_430.jpg

dimi
03-15-2009, 12:37 PM
The new one should be more fun with a 4.7 FD

igotacookie
03-16-2009, 12:02 AM
I've owned mine for a couple of months now. I'll give ya the pros and cons.

Pros: Sick handling, cheap used, makes a lovely noise, awesome interior (2 tone leather, and very comfy seats), seats 4 conveniently and comfortably, lots of compliments from randoms and friends, the ladies seem to really swarm to this car, 8 year engine warranty

Cons: Everyone wants to race ya, your slow as balls until damn near redline, must add engine oil every second fillup, reliability issues (catalytic converter, starter, battery, engine replacement hassle, random CEL's), terrible gas mileage (i get 350premium/tank), Mazda dealerships are terrible in general in the Calgary/Edmonton region, cant turbo or ur car will explode very soon and bye bye warranty

Anyways buy it if ur a gearhead looking for a bargain and can live with having a possibility of small things going wrong every few months.
I'm not going to lie this car has given me some headaches.
But I turned off traction control today and ripped around in the snow, now I dont regret buying it at all.

4doorj
03-16-2009, 12:12 AM
Originally posted by igotacookie
terrible gas mileage (i get 350premium/tank),
How much does it cost to fill up?

ryanallan
03-16-2009, 12:25 AM
60L tank, I usually put 50L in

so 50 * 0.9 = $45

The new R3 is nice :thumbsup:
But, according to test results from all the magazines, its performance is still pretty close to 04-08 GT models...

berbatov
03-16-2009, 02:32 AM
For an underpowered car with a name such as mazda and unreliable cheap components, the 46 000 all in price for 2009 model is unbelievable high

igotacookie
03-16-2009, 09:28 AM
yeah they really didn't do anything for the 2009 models other than aesthetics and increased power on the automatics to where the 6 speeds were.

I put in about 50 liters a fillup as well, so 350/50 = 7km/L thats a real shitty.

Rotary can suck my balls. What a terrible engine, its smooth and sounds nice, but an engine made in the 21st century should be able to do more than just that. And it pisses me off in the 6 years Mazda's had this car out they haven't been doing any tweaking mechanically.

heavyD
03-16-2009, 10:04 AM
Originally posted by igotacookie
I've owned mine for a couple of months now. I'll give ya the pros and cons.

Pros: Sick handling, cheap used, makes a lovely noise, awesome interior (2 tone leather, and very comfy seats), seats 4 conveniently and comfortably, lots of compliments from randoms and friends, the ladies seem to really swarm to this car, 8 year engine warranty

Cons: Everyone wants to race ya, your slow as balls until damn near redline, must add engine oil every second fillup, reliability issues (catalytic converter, starter, battery, engine replacement hassle, random CEL's), terrible gas mileage (i get 350premium/tank), Mazda dealerships are terrible in general in the Calgary/Edmonton region, cant turbo or ur car will explode very soon and bye bye warranty

Anyways buy it if ur a gearhead looking for a bargain and can live with having a possibility of small things going wrong every few months.
I'm not going to lie this car has given me some headaches.
But I turned off traction control today and ripped around in the snow, now I dont regret buying it at all.

Props for being honest about the reliability factor. So many fanboys on the internet that love their brand so much that they are willing to hide problems they have had to deal with. Cough Subaru & Honda fanboys cough......

911fever
03-16-2009, 10:10 AM
Its 2009. I want my sportscar that's 47k to beat a 4 door 25k 3.5SE Altima. I'm sorry, I like a car worth that much to not only handle well, but at least have some type of sweeping acceleration coming out of corners. As HeavyD said, this is why the 350Z way outsold this car.

mac70135
03-17-2009, 12:45 PM
Do you have to use Premium on an RX8?

berbatov
03-17-2009, 12:47 PM
Always

Originally posted by 911fever
Its 2009. I want my sportscar that's 47k to beat a 4 door 25k 3.5SE Altima.

If you think that of the sedan, wait till you see what my Altima coupe 3.5 does to it.

Anyway, all in all, save your money and stay away.

QuasarCav
03-17-2009, 12:47 PM
Originally posted by 911fever
Its 2009. I want my sportscar that's 47k to beat a 4 door 25k 3.5SE Altima. I'm sorry, I like a car worth that much to not only handle well, but at least have some type of sweeping acceleration coming out of corners. As HeavyD said, this is why the 350Z way outsold this car.

Enjoy your Altima.

berbatov
03-17-2009, 12:49 PM
Although not aimed at me, but implied ... Throroughly

http://i39.tinypic.com/1g3uwm.jpg
fk, it flipped

403Gemini
03-17-2009, 01:22 PM
I love the Altima coupe, its a pretty good deal for what you pay for. Basically the poor mans g35/37 ;)

QuasarCav
03-17-2009, 01:43 PM
Originally posted by 403Gemini
I love the Altima coupe, its a pretty good deal for what you pay for. Basically the poor mans g35/37 ;)

It's the G37/370Z for people that could care less about driving.

badatusrnames
03-17-2009, 01:44 PM

:facepalm: Those cars aren't in everyone's budget...

atgilchrist
03-17-2009, 02:26 PM

Originally posted by badatusrnames

:facepalm: Those cars aren't in everyone's budget...

You mean everyone doesn't drive brand new $50,000 cars?? jk

Altima Coupe is a great car for the money!

911fever
03-17-2009, 03:45 PM
Originally posted by atgilchrist

You mean everyone doesn't drive brand new $50,000 cars?? jk

Altima Coupe is a great car for the money!

it really is! looks great too.

igotacookie
03-17-2009, 04:00 PM
Do you have to use Premium on an RX8?

It says premium recommended on the gas cap. Take that as you will. I have heard of people using regular with no immediate problems, but with engine reliability already an issue... If +.12/L is a concern for ya dont even think about buying this car.