PDA

View Full Version : NASA launches spacecraft to seak out Earth like planets.

89coupe
03-06-2009, 11:11 AM
I find this very exciting.
http://www.cnn.com/2009/TECH/space/03/06/nasa.kepler.launch.planets/index.html

Eleanor
03-06-2009, 11:15 AM
Seek

revelations
03-06-2009, 11:34 AM
Instead of going after places that are most likely lifeless, how about dedicating money to explore the 60-70% of the earth that we hardly know anything about.... oceans??

semograd
03-06-2009, 11:38 AM
Originally posted by revelations
Instead of going after places that are most likely lifeless, how about dedicating money to explore the 60-70% of the earth that we hardly know anything about.... oceans??

Boring!

Space is the Final Frontier, we have so much more to learn from space then we do from the bottom of the ocean. Plus there wont be any kind of human like intelligence under water but statistically there probably is somewhere in space.

Zero102
03-06-2009, 12:18 PM
Its really important that for the human race to survive that we inhabit other planets, preferably in other star systems. This is a reasonable step to ensure the survival of the human race.

Sure we can explore the oceans, and tons of people are that wasn't the issue here. You can complain about nearly anything in the world and ask why people aren't doing things about it, but don't hate on them for this mission.

You have to remember that if a large comet or asteroid comes and strikes the planet it could literally extinguish the human race. If we have colonies on other planets then we are better able to handle major disasters such as this. If they also answer the "are we alone?" question then so much the better.

HiTempguy1
03-06-2009, 12:52 PM
Originally posted by Zero102
question then so much the better.

http://divisionoflabour.com/archives/alien_from_the_movie.png

Yea... righttttttttt. I sign Zero up to be the first one that gets impregnated! :rofl:

revelations
03-06-2009, 02:26 PM
There could be a whole race of underwater aliens living in the vast abyssal plains of the Pacific ocean (where the average depth is like 3km). :poosie:

jonnycat
03-06-2009, 02:44 PM
That can withstand the pressure? fail. lol.

06civic
03-06-2009, 03:00 PM
Originally posted by jonnycat
That can withstand the pressure? fail. lol.

well if there are fish and squids that can go that far, whynot?

Tik-Tok
03-06-2009, 03:04 PM
I don't see the point right now, when in 20 years we'll have figured out a better, faster propulsion system that will pass it in no time.

Any space $$$ should be going towards creating a more efficient method of space travel, so one could actually get to another solar system in less than a decade.

89coupe
03-06-2009, 03:05 PM
What if "they" see us looking for them, and "they" have the ability to travel to us.:eek:

al-ti2d
03-06-2009, 03:10 PM
Originally posted by 89coupe
What if "they" see us looking for them, and "they" have the ability to travel to us.:eek:

then that'd make Tom Cruise a very satisfied man

Tik-Tok
03-06-2009, 03:13 PM
Originally posted by al-ti2d

then that'd make Tom Cruise a very satisfied man

Not really, it'd probably be Xenu coming back to finish off the Thetans

Zero102
03-06-2009, 05:34 PM
Originally posted by HiTempguy1

http://divisionoflabour.com/archives/alien_from_the_movie.png

Yea... righttttttttt. I sign Zero up to be the first one that gets impregnated! :rofl:

Meh, if there was a volunteer system of going on deep space missions I would sign up. Of course I wouldn't just hop on a suicide ship into space, obviously I meant well planned missions.

A while ago the ESA (I think it was the ESA) was looking for people to volunteer for a 1-way mission to Mars. They send you there with all the supplies to live, and later they will send more people and more equipment/supplies, but by not sending all of the equipment to ship your ass back the mission was many times cheaper and they could send more equipment and food with you. I'd sign up for a mission like that. If it ended with an alien baby that would be even cooler.

revelations
03-06-2009, 09:20 PM
Originally posted by Zero102

Meh, if there was a volunteer system of going on deep space missions I would sign up. Of course I wouldn't just hop on a suicide ship into space, obviously I meant well planned missions.

A while ago the ESA (I think it was the ESA) was looking for people to volunteer for a 1-way mission to Mars. They send you there with all the supplies to live, and later they will send more people and more equipment/supplies, but by not sending all of the equipment to ship your ass back the mission was many times cheaper and they could send more equipment and food with you. I'd sign up for a mission like that. If it ended with an alien baby that would be even cooler.

Damn, I'm sure they couldve rounded up enough people to form a mini colony on Mars.