PDA

View Full Version : where can i get a cheap but comfortable matress?

nonlinear
03-06-2009, 05:11 PM
hi,

i need a new queen-sized mattress. Usually I spend a lot of cash on beds cause I think it's important, however i'll only be living in calgary for another 2 or 3 years and will give it away or throw it out at that point, so i don't need anything of very good quality.

can anyone recommend a place that sells really cheap mattress sets, that are still somewhat comfortable?

i just need a box spring and mattress, no frame, so ikea isn't an option.

thanks

revelations
03-06-2009, 05:14 PM
Ever tried high density foam (NOT regular foam) beds?

I've used one for years and its the best thing ever.

Cheap, I paid 150$ for a double.

Rat Fink
03-06-2009, 07:15 PM

Weapon_R
03-06-2009, 07:18 PM
Brick outlet in the NE might have something cheap if they are still around. There are a few other liquidation places there too.

dannie
03-06-2009, 07:24 PM
There is a mattress store at the corner of Blackfoot and..... i want to say 42nd. Their mattresses are super cheap. I have a queen mattress and box in one of the spare rooms, cost 150 all in. It isnt the MOST comfortable thing ever, but with a mattress pad and decent sheets; its good

Kennyredline
03-06-2009, 07:52 PM
Comfort is a matter of opinion....if you want cheap, maybe try a back alley downtown; take some homeless guys crib...i bet after a couple sprays of Fabreeze, that puke smell will come right out!!:poosie:

adidas
03-06-2009, 09:36 PM
Originally posted by Kennyredline
Comfort is a matter of opinion....if you want cheap, maybe try a back alley downtown; take some homeless guys crib...i bet after a couple sprays of Fabreeze, that puke smell will come right out!!:poosie:

Please make that ur last joke! :facepalm:

dj_rice
03-06-2009, 09:48 PM
Costco has very good Sealy mattress sets, box spring and mattress, I think the Queen is $599 but didn't fully read ur post so ignore my suggestion

Kritafo
03-06-2009, 10:40 PM
We slept on a futon on the floor for years. I love it.

Then we thought we would buy a pillow top and after 4 years of horrible sleeps we went back to a futon.

Go see Zeke, he is the best. He delivered ours the same day. Plus he is quite a character. We paid about 250 for our king size he doesn't try to upsell you on anything.

http://www.thebirkenstockstorecalgary.ca/futons/home.htm

300zxfairlday
03-06-2009, 10:52 PM
Ok there is a place called graham auctions, its on mcnight and 84th street ne. They hold an auto auction every saturday but before the auto part the have a furniture sale. There are brand new matress and box spring sets which are high end stuff very comfortable and VERY cheap , you can get a set anywhere from 100.00 bucks to 500 from singles to king size.

http://www.grahamauctions.com/

broken_legs
03-06-2009, 10:58 PM
Ever wonder why when you shop around and compare beds from say Sleep Canada, Sears, The Brick etc... They all have the same brands but not the same models?

In truth they all carry the exact same matresses only the manufacturer changes the model name so they can all avoid competition with eachother.

I bought my bed from Mattress Mattress (or matress Inc???)in the NE on 32ave after shopping 7-8 different stores. Found the same beds everywhere but prices were ridiculous at some places.

nonlinear
03-06-2009, 11:03 PM
thanks for all the suggestions guys!

cost isn't really the issue, but since i'm only planning to use it for a couple of years, i'd obviously like to save as much money as i can (i don't need a dope bed that will last 15-20 years). i am a fan of Halstead, and have been sleeping on their beds the last few years until i broke up w/ my gf. i know they have a liquidation store on 104 61st Ave SW, and there i can get a queen for about $400... and that's kinda what i'm thinking, but just wondering if i can get something of crappier quality and shorter life expectancy for cheaper?

basically looking for something comfortable with a short ( > 5(?) year) life expectancy.

justincalgary
03-06-2009, 11:19 PM
Originally posted by nonlinear

basically looking for something comfortable with a short (5 year) life expectancy.

Than just buy a name brand...that is about the life span of any name brand bed. Doesn't matter if you spend a fortune or not, all big brands have a life of about 5 years.

justincalgary
03-06-2009, 11:19 PM
oh yeah...am i the guy that sold you your halstead????

nonlinear
03-06-2009, 11:25 PM
Originally posted by justincalgary
oh yeah...am i the guy that sold you your halstead????

your major awesome thread about halstead sold me on their mattresses, and me and my gf have been sleeping on that for a few years and it's been rad. but you don't work ther anymore, do you?? just looking for something comfortable but disposable at this point... :D

EDIT; I tried a search on "halstead' to find that thread, but it didn't come up!?!?!

justincalgary
03-06-2009, 11:29 PM
glad i could have helped you out.

your best bet is to either go to that clearance centre at 61st or mattress depot up on 42nd and blackfoot like someone else said.

The guy at the clearance centre is named Ryan...bit of an odd ball, but he'll work you a deal, especially because you are a returnign customer.

nonlinear
03-15-2009, 03:29 PM
ended up going to mattress depot and got a queen-sized 'eurotop' for $399 (sticker price $469).

no idea if this is a good deal or not, cause they have stickers all over the mattresses claiming the price was already reduced by half, and then they seem to be willing to deal with you even lower than that :dunno:

the guys working there were really nice, though.

would've went to halstead, but their liquidation store was closed today.

dannie
03-15-2009, 03:42 PM
Thats the name of the place on 42nd. Sorry, I couldnt remember the name in my post earlier.

Jonel
03-15-2009, 03:42 PM

wow that's pretty bad :facepalm:

Got a really comfy bed from Sears at north hill for 130 for a double.

Jonel
03-15-2009, 03:43 PM

wow that's pretty bad :facepalm:

edit: oops just read you got a new mattress .. congrats!

nonlinear
03-15-2009, 03:50 PM
in retrospect, i think the mattresses at halstead are a better deal....

the one i bought today has the 'eurotop' built in, but at halstead it's an actual separate piece that does on top of the mattress, which is better cause 1) you can replace it if you want a softer/firmer one and 2) you can flip your mattress.

oh well, i'm only going to be using this for a couple of years anyhow

freshprince1
03-16-2009, 01:28 PM
:thumbsup: Mattress Mattress.
They had a sale on where you get the next size bigger for the price of the samller...we bought a king for the price of a queen, we told them we had looked at sleep country and they threw in a mattress cover, bed frame and delivery for free.

Eleanor
03-16-2009, 01:32 PM
EDIT: NM