PDA

View Full Version : My experience with JDMmotorImports

HillBilly
03-07-2009, 10:14 AM
Well, it was quite the time. I bought a Fairlady Z from them about a month ago. I picked it up in Calgary, and tried to drive it home to saskatchewan. The car was sold "as is" and with "no warranty"

With only 100km left on the trip home, the transmission failed. None of the forward gears worked, and reverse was very rough. So, I had it towed home. :(

I PM'ed and talked to Izzat, the salesperson I dealt with.

He was shocked to find out that the transmission failed so soon. He came with me on the test drive and saw that I didn't drive the car like a 16 year old. The fact that I didn't even get it home, is what I think prompted him to do what he did.

He offered me a free VG30DETT transmission. I was quite happy to hear that. He could have said tough shit. He coordinated with me on the pick up of the tranny, and the car is now running again. The only cost I incurred was a new set of seals, and the install of the tranny. (could have been a lot worse)

I would like to tip my hat to the boys at JDMmotorimports. I would say that they are going above and beyond what a normal used car dealer would do for a client.:thumbsup:

ekguy
03-07-2009, 10:22 AM
Nice to hear a positive experience with a company nowadays since most companies simply don't care about the customer anymore.

:thumbsup:

89s1
03-07-2009, 10:24 AM
Always good to hear the nice stories.

:thumbsup: to those guys.

Mr_ET
03-07-2009, 10:46 AM
JDM Motor Imports gets :thumbsup: :thumbsup: from me

guessboi
03-07-2009, 12:18 PM
:thumbsup: props to JDM imports.

chris746
03-07-2009, 12:33 PM
actually a dealer cant say tough shit to you..... he gave you a free transmission becuase he knew that if you went to an organization like amvic he would have to pay for parts and install......:dunno:

badatusrnames
03-07-2009, 12:39 PM
Was it a 5 speed or auto tranny?

Dj_Stylz
03-07-2009, 12:41 PM
Originally posted by chris746
actually a dealer cant say tough shit to you..... he gave you a free transmission becuase he knew that if you went to an organization like amvic he would have to pay for parts and install......:dunno:

wat

Car was sold as is. I don't know what your talking about.

Anyways the guys at JDM are great and always willing to help.:thumbsup: :thumbsup:

88jbody
03-07-2009, 12:43 PM

amvic would have given them 2 options fix it, or take it back return money and pay any incurred expenses from the car. and could have been left up to you.

there is no such thing as "as is" in alberta.

you have to word on the recipt "for parts or repair" to get out of any possible action agains anything faulty that the car may have.

Stunt66
03-07-2009, 12:52 PM
Wow, some of the responses on here a joke. Yeah there might be laws regarding this but how many stories have we all heard where the buyer has a nasty time trying to get whats theirs. From what OP wrote it sounded like JDMmotorimports manned up right away even though op was fully aware it was "as is".

chkolny541
03-07-2009, 01:31 PM
how much was the install costs?

good on them for given you the free tranny :thumbsup:

HillBilly
03-07-2009, 03:16 PM
its an auto...

The cost was just under a grand. When it was all apart, I opted to do a little preventative maintenance. Like a new steady bearing on the two piece drive shaft, a new set of seals, a new filter, and the rear main seal on the engine.

HillBilly
03-07-2009, 03:18 PM
Originally posted by 88jbody
amvic would have given them 2 options fix it, or take it back return money and pay any incurred expenses from the car. and could have been left up to you.

there is no such thing as "as is" in alberta.

you have to word on the recipt "for parts or repair" to get out of any possible action agains anything faulty that the car may have.

WTF are you talking about?

chris746
03-07-2009, 08:09 PM
Originally posted by HillBilly

WTF are you talking about?

http://www.amvic.org/complaint_form.htm

fill out the form. they will call you and in about a week you'll have your money back that you put out for the transmission install........:eek:

chris746
03-07-2009, 08:13 PM
right from the amvic website

The term “as-is” is often inserted into a bill of sale to protect an automotive business selling a used vehicle against claims made respecting the condition of the vehicle. A person buying a vehicle in an “as-is” condition is led to believe they are waiving any claims they may have in the event the vehicle being purchased is defective. The use of such a provision does not relieve an automotive business from its obligations to consumers under the Fair Trading Act. An automotive business must at all times take care to ensure that it does not commit an unfair practice in the course of selling a used vehicle, whether in an “as-is” condition or not.

http://www.amvic.org/buying_as_is.htm

vtec
03-07-2009, 08:14 PM
Please note that AMVIC has no jurisdiction upon private sales. Submitting a complaint that involves a private seller will result in no action from AMVIC.

taken from the site above.

Now would buying a car from a shop like that be considered
a private sale?

chris746
03-07-2009, 08:15 PM
Originally posted by vtec
Please note that AMVIC has no jurisdiction upon private sales. Submitting a complaint that involves a private seller will result in no action from AMVIC.

taken from the site above.

Now would buying a car from a shop like that be considered
a private sale?

No http://www.amvic.org/lookup/index.cfm?fuseaction=BusSearchResults&BusName=jdm+motor+imports&BusType=all&BusMunc=ALL

badatusrnames
03-07-2009, 08:21 PM
Originally posted by HillBilly
its an auto...

Yeah I've heard those autos can fail like that sometimes...

Mine started slipping one day, which got worse the longer the car was running, until it was completely out of gear as if it was in neutral. To get it moving again, I would have to shut off the car and repeat the process.

Turns out that the filter was getting clogged. When that car was started, all the clogging particles were getting picked up off of the pan and pulled into the filter, until the point where it was completely plugged.

I changed the filter and fluid and it's been fine.

Although I'm thinking my tranny may be on its way out, given that something is likely grinding away in order for it to have become plugged in the first place.

Also, if I understand correctly, if your tranny grenades, you are supposed to replace the A/T cooler, as it is apparently likely to become plugged with debris from the broken transmission and won't function properly, this will mean that your new transmission will burn out faster than it should.

This is what Nissan requires when replacing the auto trans, but it also unfortunately means replacing the whole radiator since the transmission cooler is built into it...

I'll likely end up getting an upgraded transmission from Z1 Motorsports + a European spec radiator (bigger) to make sure I won't have to worry about replacing my transmission...

HillBilly
03-10-2009, 10:55 AM

http://www.amvic.org/complaint_form.htm

fill out the form. they will call you and in about a week you'll have your money back that you put out for the transmission install........:eek:

Anybody have any direct experience with this? Does it actually work? This is the first I have ever heard of it.

chris746
03-10-2009, 12:29 PM
yes it works....... thats why amvic is there to protect consumers like you who got an unfair deal

thats why you pay a business a bit more becuase they have to account for being responsible for situations like this,.

HillBilly
04-21-2009, 08:33 PM
well... got a cheque for $1k today from JDM

guess AMVIC does work. I am quite shocked...

craigcd
04-21-2009, 08:48 PM
Wow thumbs up to the dealer...... not the typical Beyond ending!

chkolny541
04-21-2009, 09:20 PM
ahhah, good on you man

the company sounds shady now, going the "as is" route and giving the tranny for free was only done so that you wouldnt realize that they have to cover the install as well

shady

GQBalla
04-21-2009, 09:22 PM
so what happened? did you actually report them or what?

HillBilly
04-22-2009, 07:26 AM
Originally posted by GQBalla
so what happened? did you actually report them or what? yeah i did. They were very helpfull. He told me that he is convinced the company was not trying to sell me a bad car, just shitty coincidence.
still up to them to make it right.

CMW403
04-22-2009, 11:23 AM
id say:thumbsdow

they should pay you for the seals and install as well

911fever
04-22-2009, 01:16 PM
good on them!

JTC180
04-22-2009, 04:57 PM
I bought my car from JDMMI also, was not quite as smooth, but still fairly good guys. Almost went back and bought another..