PDA

View Full Version : Which Suv?

scorpio11
03-08-2009, 05:43 PM
I was looking to buy a Mitsubishi Outlander or Subaru Foresster. I would love some feedback on these SUV,s. Any info would be great especially on which one is more reliable. Thanx

X_EVO_X
03-23-2009, 10:53 AM
Outlander is great. active skid control and traction control leave for a nice drive no matter the time of year. Also has 3-Mode 4-Wheel drive. not to mention cool features such as FLAP-FOLD tailgate, sliding and reclining 60/40-split fold/tumble 2nd row seats. and automatic climate control(standard on xls).
just to name a few:thumbsup:

Masked Bandit
03-23-2009, 11:11 AM
With those two choices I suggest you also have a look at the RAV4. It seems to fall in line with the others.

Ntense_SpecV
03-23-2009, 11:16 AM
We bought a 2009 Forester XT...it has been a great car for the wife. Lots of power with the Turbo, but it isn't cheap at the pump nor the initial cost as with taxes, and all said and done was $42,000. There is room to haggle with the non-turbo ones but I know that both dealerships don't have a turbo on the lot that isn't pre-sold. We went with the Subaru because of their good performance and AWD abilities.

My post is biased, but drive them both and see what you like about both of them and then decide from there.

X_EVO_X
03-23-2009, 11:29 AM
you could purchase a fully loaded Outlander XLS(navigation and all)for aprx. $38,000. I suggest you come down and test drive and outlander.

flipstah
03-23-2009, 11:37 AM
IMHO, the '09 Forester beats the Outlander in terms of interior design but I dig the Outlander's exterior more.

In terms of size, Outlander may be a bit bigger or just seems bigger than the Forester but overall, it's what you prefer sitting in for many, many hours. If you're uncomfortable, no point in buying it.

ExtraSlow
03-23-2009, 11:43 AM
I'm a huge fan of the Forester, and I plan on buying one in the fall. The 2009 model year redesign has made big improvements in interior ergonomics. It looks more like a standard SUV now, instead of the funky wagon styling that it had before, which is a plus for some.

Don't know much about the Mitsu.

X_EVO_X
03-23-2009, 11:50 AM
The Outlander interior is actually really nice! and comftorable.

But judge for yourself:D

http://www.platinummitsubishi.ca/Vehicles/2009/Outlander/PhotoGallery.aspx?lng=2

Proyecto2000
03-23-2009, 12:11 PM
my Dad and I, test drove a 2008 Outlander (they didnt have any 2009's back in July) and then we went and tested the 2009 Forester. The Subaru has more headroom and the rear passanger seats are a hell of alot more comfortable. We found that the Subaru was put together a little better then the Mitsubishi in regards to interior plastic and the fit and finish.

Only drawback that I know of so far after owning the 2009 Forester for 9months and 18,xxx kms is the milage. The fuel comsumption meter averages about 15L/100km, so i'm making about 400kms a tank this winter, but that is with alot of stop and go traffic and warming the car up 5-10min when its cold. On the highway it gets over 800kms/tank.

I have the non turbo version and it has alot of power and it handles very well. However it could use a 5th gear, as the automatic is a 4 speed.

heavyD
03-23-2009, 12:16 PM
Originally posted by Proyecto2000
my Dad and I, test drove a 2008 Outlander (they didnt have any 2009's back in July) and then we went and tested the 2009 Forester. The Subaru has more headroom and the seats are a hell of alot more comfortable. We found that the Subaru was put together a little better then the Mitsubishi in regards to interior plastic and the fit and finish. (could also be personal preferance)

Only drawback that I know of so far after owning the 2009 Forester for 9months and 18,xxx kms is the milage. The fuel comsumption meter averages about 15L/100km, so i'm making about 400kms a tank this winter, but that is with alot of stop and go traffic and warming the car up 5-10min when its cold. On the highway it gets over 800kms/tank.

I have the non turbo version and it has alot of power and it handles very well. However it could use a 5th gear, as the automatic is a 4 speed.

Subaru's automatics suck. They still use the obsolete 4-speeds where most have gone 5 or 6-speed. My wife's Outlander has a 6-speed automatic which helps the V6 mileage. We haven't yet had a problem with our 2007 and it's been great in the snow as unlike the Subaru you have the choice of 2WD, Automatic 4WD, or 4WD lock.

Both SUV's are recommended buys by Consumer Reports so you probably can't go wrong with either. I prefer Mitsubishi as Subaru's reliability has gone down since 08 and all Subaru's turn into rattleboxes after a few years of ownership.

heavyD
03-23-2009, 12:18 PM
opps double post.

flipstah
03-23-2009, 12:27 PM
Originally posted by heavyD
I prefer Mitsubishi as Subaru's reliability has gone down since 08 and all Subaru's turn into rattleboxes after a few years of ownership.

Can't speak for Subaru but my 04 Outlander XLS is still driving like a brand new car and it has over 86k on it! Love her to pieces and treat her like a baby! :thumbsup:

Only major I had to replace was the control arms which were uber-squeaky (The guys Platinum totally knew why I came in to get the car service, it was THAT loud.)

Proyecto2000
03-23-2009, 12:45 PM
Originally posted by heavyD

Subaru's automatics suck. They still use the obsolete 4-speeds where most have gone 5 or 6-speed. My wife's Outlander has a 6-speed automatic which helps the V6 mileage.

with a 5th gear the mileage would deffinitly get much better. I can always hear that the engine is revving a little high when going over 100km.

Either way they are both nice cars with pro's and con's.

ExtraSlow
03-23-2009, 01:25 PM
The four speed auto is a drawback to the Subie. I would be buying a stick shift, so that's not a concern for me.
Does the Mitsu even come with a manual transmission?

Masked Bandit
03-23-2009, 01:43 PM
Originally posted by Proyecto2000

That's brutal consumption. I get the same 15/100 in my Avalanche! I do drive it pretty gently though so if you've got a bit of "spirited" driving style that might account for the numbers.