PDA

View Full Version : What's your definition of Spotting?

Canucks3322
03-08-2009, 07:34 PM
When you ask for someone to spot you, for example, on a bench press, do you expect them to HELP you lift the bar back up or just make sure to help you lift it back up if you fail....to me it means just making sure I get help if I fail and NOT touching the bar (as soon as you touch the bar, it takes off some of the weight and defeats my purpose of the set) and or grabbing it and helping me through the lift...what is the point of that? If I needed that, I would just take off some plates...I laugh when I see douches pile on the weight then have a spotter either touching or grabbing the bar through the whole set...I mean I can understand if they help only through the final reps but right from the first rep? who are they kidding and what's the point?:banghead:

Anyways, just a rant, I HATE it when I ask someone to spot me on bench press and they touch the bar or help me lift it.

buh_buh
03-08-2009, 07:48 PM
I can't stand it either when people "help" me on a spot. The only thing I want them to do is prevent the bar from smashing my face when I run out of steam.

whiskas
03-09-2009, 02:13 PM
If the spotter touches the bar, the rep doesn't count.

When I spot I ask if they want help unracking. If they do I'll help them lift it off the rack and then ease off the bar until they're bearing all the weight. Then I just keep my arms at my side while they crank out the reps. Towards the end when they're struggling I'll put my hands near the bar (but not touching in case I need to catch it) until they stall then I give them just enough help to rack the bar.

SR240SX
03-09-2009, 02:21 PM
Originally posted by Canucks3322

Anyways, just a rant, I HATE it when I ask someone to spot me on bench press and they touch the bar or help me lift it.

Then why dont you ask for you're spotter not to do that?

Thread = :thumbsdow

94CoRd
03-10-2009, 06:01 PM
Originally posted by SR240SX

Then why dont you ask for you're spotter not to do that?

Thread = :thumbsdow

Because its just a rant.

WWJAI
03-12-2009, 09:33 PM
Originally posted by Canucks3322
I laugh when I see douches pile on the weight then have a spotter either touching or grabbing the bar through the whole set.

I see this happen at my gym. This one small asian kid always needs it on all 3 of his sets because he's embarrased his friend lifts more than him.

ragu
03-12-2009, 09:45 PM
I've seen this pair. Guy 1 does BP at around 285lbs with good form; guy 2 gets on and is much smaller but manages 1-2 reps with the same weight, now for next 5+ reps the first guy 'spots' him. I can bet any money that the smaller guy can't push the weight at all on the third rep but every week same shit happens, its been 4 weeks and still the same story.

theken
03-13-2009, 12:15 AM
when i spot i help them unrack and i dont touch it till it is not moving up with his own steam, and i will rack it with him, if he is going to try another set then i dont really help him. when your gassed your gassed

1-Bar
03-13-2009, 01:27 AM
Originally posted by buh_buh
I can't stand it either when people "help" me on a spot. The only thing I want them to do is prevent the bar from smashing my face when I run out of steam.

haha....noted for next time.....

I only spot when the person is struggling, but just enough to keep a constant fluid motion until verbal tapout or set finish. IMO I rather spot enough for them to barely finish the set (or 1 rep short) versus them quitting 2-3reps short and giving up.

Which I guess brings up the debate I had with a member on here: "which would be better, having a spot and finishing the set, or failing the set 2-3 reps short....."

theken
03-13-2009, 01:36 AM
^when your muscles are done they are done, failure is failure

1-Bar
03-13-2009, 02:44 AM
true, but lets say your benching 225....you can only do 3 clean reps. Your 4th rep is 1/2 done and you gas out from being in an isometric state. Now, same weight, but you have a spot lets say 25lbs for math sake.....you pump out the last 3 reps doing 200lbs.....which is better???

pinoyhero
03-13-2009, 04:48 PM
Blood in panties

civic_rida
03-13-2009, 04:52 PM
If you need help on the last 2 or 3 i think thats fine.
How many reps do you guys usually do per set for bench.
I like the 8-12 range personally.

WWJAI
03-15-2009, 12:53 PM
Originally posted by civic_rida

How many reps do you guys usually do per set for bench.
I like the 8-12 range personally.

I do 6-10 personally.

JEFFRIX
03-15-2009, 01:18 PM
When a girls getting her first period and there is spots of blood in her underwear.

Darkane
03-15-2009, 02:18 PM
If I don't get a forearm pump spotting, I haven't done my job.

89coupe
03-15-2009, 02:59 PM
Originally posted by pinoyhero
Blood in panties

LOL, thats the first thing that came to mind when I read the title of this thread.:rofl: