PDA

View Full Version : new golds gym info - au claire

TurboD
03-08-2009, 11:39 PM
so the Golds Gym in Eau Claire officially opens im told tomorrow (monday march 8)

this weekend it was unofficially open sat and sunday.

here is some background, because i have a problem relating to this new gym.

-lately ive been real sick of Golds Northgate, the state of the gym is sloppy, little things that add up, like pools of water all over the change room, no soap in bathroom dispensers, no scale and a 2 month wait everytime a scale is broken with no backup scales. since the new year is has just been too busy, too stuffy, machines and benches are always full, even late hours up until 8-9pm.

so what i did is try to transfer to northland, so i called northgate and spoke to a guy and asked about transferring and he said i can go to ANY golds gym in calgary, no transfer needed.

so i go to northland and swipe my card and the hot girl behind the counter tells me my northgate card doesnt work at this golds and i have to sign my name, phone number etc on a guest list every time i enter the gym unless i choose to officially transfer gyms which she told me was as simple as filling out a sheet.

so i head to eau claire today (sunday) for a sneek peek at my the new golds that i was hoping to make my weekend gym. because of parking ($2 on weekends) its not worth going all the time.

so that is the background, this is what i find when i enter the gym. (before going to the gym i called to make sure it was ok to work out there, i was told this is fine and no issues)

--------

i get to the gym and the guy tells me this new info:

rules:

(even though i was told by 3 golds gym employees including the salesman that issued my contract that it was free for me to use any golds gym in calgary i wanted)

1. regular members with contracts are limited to 15 visits to eau claire PER YEAR.

2. if you want unlimited access you must allow a monthly increase to your contract to the tune of +$10 per month

also, parking is not included in this jacked up contract which you must pay each time you go to the gym..

so to go to the gym say 15 times a month you will end up spending an additional $40 each month to go to a gym you already belong to.

i don't really care that much about this....my main issue was that i was lied to

secondly, i will likely use my 15 visits per year on weekends and just accept the rules.

info about the gym:

-the locker rooms have odd keypad locks on all of the lockers, you are unable to use your own lock, there is no way to put it on the locker, so im assuming they either give you a code or some sort of special key.
so just a heads up, before this is sorted out or keys are issued, your stuff is unprotected in thoes lockers.

-i didn't notice any chinup/pullup bar at all for free hanging chinups etc.

-the dumbbells are new and are very greasy and slippery (turns your hands black), and they are perfectly round and no slop so if you put them down they quickly make a run for it.

-they have a lot of machines, not a lot of benches - northgate has twice as many benches.

-the power rack is in the corner close to the wall and would be difficult to modify being in this location

-lighting is better than nothgate and northland golds'
the good lighting showed me myself almost too good, which is my own fault for having such an unrefined body.

-all the machines have cool displays attached to them with smart card slots, and the displays give cool LED light shows showing how full your reps are and it also counts reps for you as you do them.

-the seated bench press machine is the best ive ever used, it takes away a lot of stress that most machines put on your shoulders, the movement is really natural and i can do a lot heavier weight and no worry about shoulder pain.

-also there was a hot tub in a room, not finished or set up totally, but some people might be interested in that, personally i would never get into a hot tub with a bunch of strangers that had just worked out/filled their bodies with mass amounts of suppliments.

-they have a couple cool machines, one is a torso twist where you sit and put a brace over your shoulders like a roller coaster and twist your upper body with weight resistance.

the other is a stretching machine that seemed useful but i felt like an idiot messing around with it so i didnt completely figure it out.

the last is an American gladiators style hand bicycle type machine that is exactly the same as a normal bicycle at the gym only with hand pedals, and with good resistance it gives a really nice full arm pump that works every muscle in your arm really intensely.

so in conclusion, check the gym out, and if anyone finds away around this 15 visit rule, or a trick for free parking, let me know.

and as a second conclusion, i have only 3 months left on my 2 year contract from june 1 07 so when my contract concludes i will have a lot of thinking and planning to do.

right now im torn between northland and northgate, they both have their pros and cons.
great thing about where i live, its equal distance to all three gyms, northland northgate and eau claire, so i am in a good position to be picky about my gym.

i will likely re sign a contract with golds this summer once my contract expires, and im gonna try to push to get au claire added for free.
but once my contract is up i will be touring all gyms near me and if i find one i like better that either doesn't have a contract or has a cheap rate i may switch companies altogether.

TC06
03-09-2009, 12:04 AM
WHC ftw!

TurboD
03-09-2009, 12:08 AM
Originally posted by TC06
WHC ftw!

care to add pros and cons?

rvd
03-09-2009, 12:08 AM
Its spelled Eau Claire and you should no not to take anything a golds gym employee says at face value.

403ep3
03-09-2009, 12:10 AM
Wow, can someone sum that up lol

Another gym near there? There is already the Y.. or is that gone now?

TurboD
03-09-2009, 12:19 AM
Originally posted by rvd
Its spelled Eau Claire and you should no not to take anything a golds gym employee says at face value.

fixed

badatusrnames
03-09-2009, 12:31 AM
Originally posted by rvd

It's. Gold's Gym.

WWJAI
03-09-2009, 12:54 AM
So if I'm finished my contract with Gold's, does that mean I get unlimited visits to the Eau Claire location?

I don't think you have to re-sign. I finished my two year contract over a year ago at the Northgate location. If you don't do anything, it's like a mobile phone contract, it just continues at the plan you currently have and you can cancel anytime without any fees.

My only complaint about the Northgate location is there are way too many people there now. I agree with the OP that the gym is pretty packed all the way till 9PM which is a pain in the rear.

Hooray for paying only $25/month.

Khalil.e
03-09-2009, 01:43 AM
Where is northgate?

WWJAI
03-09-2009, 01:53 AM
Originally posted by Khalil.e
Where is northgate?

It's the Marlborough location across from Marlborough mall.

Pretty much where the old Ikea used to be.

GQBalla
03-09-2009, 08:04 AM
Currently i have a northland golds membership.

im not sure if ill ever work out downtown a lot even though i work a couple blocks away from eau claire.

i may go in and check it out when i have time but other than that i usually work out after work, be at the gym by 4 to 4:30 depending what time im off so than i can avoid the 5:30 rush.

if i cant go right after work, ill go at 7:30 ish.

But Eau Claire sounds pretty nice, i should go take a look

bigbadboss101
03-09-2009, 04:00 PM
This is what a gal at Eau Claire wrote me a week ago. The website mentioned free 2 hour parking. The new member package (from any Golds) did say 15 visit a year to a different gym but everyone said memberships are good world wide.

I got my membership from Northgate (transfer from a Beyond member) and plan to go to Northland most of the time. Would like to check out Eau Claire times though.

---

Our facility is looking to open at the end of this week or Monday at the latest. We are just waiting on the last shipment of equipment then we will be opening our doors.

Here at our eau claire location, we are conveniently open 24 hours 7 days a week. We have over 20,000 sqft of space that houses 80 cardio machines equipped with cable tv, a hot tub and sauna room, hot yoga and spinning studio, state of the art cable and USB machines, Kinesis Wall, 2 in house professional boxers and a muy thai trainer/competitor.

Our gym uses the wellness system which is an electronic tracking device that monitors your progress and is included in all our personal training packages. I've attached the website for you to check out.

http://www.technogym.com/ca/viewdoc.asp?co_id=683&target=commercial&video=nN9UrIe4SxY

TurboD
03-09-2009, 06:40 PM
i dont care much for the logging calories and all that weak shiz.

the rep counter is ok, but i dont think i would go as far as to give a crap how many calories i burned or any other stats about my workout.
thats for lazy people that want a false sense of accomplishment.

i know when ive had a good workout and it doesn't involve downloading information to my computer.

hopefully they will just offer thoes keys as microchip implants in our neck, that way you wont lose the key!

haha

Jonel
03-10-2009, 03:21 AM
Originally posted by TurboD
i dont care much for the logging calories and all that weak shiz.

the rep counter is ok, but i dont think i would go as far as to give a crap how many calories i burned or any other stats about my workout.
thats for lazy people that want a false sense of accomplishment.

i know when ive had a good workout and it doesn't involve downloading information to my computer.

hopefully they will just offer thoes keys as microchip implants in our neck, that way you wont lose the key!

haha

For you it may be weak but for those just starting out it's actually a pretty great idea. I know lots of people who tend to get lost routine wise when they have just started working out. And it definitely helps them to keep in track. To me the most appealing part for that tech-chip is the ability to record how much you should be lifting and for how many reps blah blah blah. Don't have to bring in a paper+pencil anymore =P

So who plans to go to the EC location regularly =D looking for a workout partner for some guidance.

IhateDomestic
03-10-2009, 08:51 AM
That's fucked up; I THOUGHT you could go to any Golds as well, and you SHOULD.

I went to California for two months and they let me work out @ Venice, Redwood City, and LA and they had no problem with it...fucking assholes just trying to make up new stupid rules.

I'm sure once they get over a good amount of complaints, then they will change that 'rule'
:thumbsdow

theken
03-10-2009, 10:19 AM
I will go there 15 times just on principle then

Oz-
03-10-2009, 05:24 PM
Went there today during a lull in the day and walked around to see what was setup. Looks like all cardio machines are up and running, dumbbell racks are in place but not loaded the benches in this area will be ready probably by tomorrow I suspect.

Looks like the power rack isn't full setup yet, the half squat rack is in place and looks like it has been bolted down. I had actually talked to the director of operations in hopes of convincing her to get a glute/ham raise for the gym, but no luck. They have a pair of the 45 degree back extension machines.

Also noticed a few variations of the chest support row - free weights. Glad that I won't have to jury rig something up to do this exercise.

Sort of disappointed that they still didn't get the free weights area "right". OP was right that the power rack is going to be in a weird spot. They stick to what makes them money and its all those step/ripped/yoga/spinning classes. I only wish that we could get the Gold's Gym that I use while in Vegas (E. Flamingo & Sandhill) transplanted up here.

msommers
03-10-2009, 06:37 PM
Is this gym in the Eau Claire mall? I thought they were bulldozing that fucker for housing...?

TurboD
03-10-2009, 07:12 PM
Originally posted by msommers
Is this gym in the Eau Claire mall? I thought they were bulldozing that fucker for housing...?

you've got some bad info sir

sexualbanana
03-11-2009, 12:28 AM
Originally posted by msommers

That's what I thought as well. I thought they were demolishing it to rebuild a mall with condos on the higher floors because Eau Claire Market, as a mall, was a pretty big failure.

sexualbanana
03-11-2009, 12:32 AM
The only way to address the parking is to go in the evenings when the meters are free. On the plus side, you can park on 3rd and walk by the hookers when you're all swelled up from lifting. :bigpimp:

Oz-
03-11-2009, 05:54 AM
I asked that question about the mall being demolished back in the summer, reply I got was that they are in the last phase for demolition and the first phase to move into the new mall.

TurboD
03-11-2009, 10:48 PM
what times do the meters turn free?

msommers
03-12-2009, 01:03 AM

you've got some bad info sir

http://www.calgaryherald.com/Claire+Market+neighbours+reject+redesign+proposals/1319517/story.html

February 23, 2009

The $750-million redevelopment of Eau Claire Market, which is now on land owned by Harvard Developments, has been delayed by the economic decline.

The first phase of the market redevelopment was to have started by now, according to plans set out a year ago.

The project is to include 700 housing units, several restaurants, a grocery store and hotel.

Ok.

Jonel
03-12-2009, 10:29 AM
what times do the meters turn free?

6pm

YamaLube
03-13-2009, 08:05 AM
I signed up for this Golds in October, they said it would open by christmas, then mid january, then the end of january, then end of february, then last week, etc etc etc.

So I finally go to go after waiting so long, and I totally agree with the OP, unless you a under armour wearing fitness type don't bother with this gym.

- one of my biggest peeves with Golds northland is the change room, there is no enforcement of the no outside shoe rule, and ignorant people mud up the floor every day, can't you take off your shoes at the door? So an upscale place like eau claire should address this? No, there is no shoe rack, you have to walk half way accross the gym and the changeroom has a carpet floor. I can't wait for the first busy slushy day to see what the floor will be like between the desk and changerooms, and don't step on the changeroom floor in your socks on those day's, thats for sure.

- Speaking of the changeroom, the bathroom is old, like it belonged to whatever store was there before, brand new change room, new showers, crappy bathroom complete with a terd backed up in the toilet at 5am this morning. Wonderful.

- Nitpicky thing in the showers, no soap dispensers, no biggie, and the shower curtain rings are too small for the rod, took me longer to get the cutain closed then it did to shower, strange.....

- Lockers - pinpad, follow the instructions inside the door, they work awesome, great idea, no lock needed.

- Plates are slimy yes, but they wear in, same thing as the last gym I was and they got new plates.

- No hammer strenth? What is this crap they bought instead for leverage, hate it.

- chin up bar, no just the counter weight machine with will be full of girls and oldies, don't think about doing weighted chins in this place. Same goes for weighted dips.

- Only one low pulley row and one lat pulldown machine, good luck getting on the lat pulldown when it's busy. (Northlands has 3 of each)

- No plate loaded leg press, only the hinge type that only goes low enough so your legs are at a 90 degree angle, garbage for anyone serious. I need a traditional leg press sled, all I can say is horseshit.

- Only two squat racks, really? Probably won't be a problem since I don't see much squating going on at this place.

- Just overall smallish weight pit, shows where their emphasis is, but it is typical of any "corporate" type gym.....

That's my critique, waiting this long and was sorely dissapointed............I should have known.

Oz-
03-13-2009, 01:55 PM
Originally posted by YamaLube

- Only two squat racks, really? Probably won't be a problem since I don't see much squating going on at this place.

There are 2 smith machines and only 1 power rack. Even when they weren't "opened" you had jackasses doing bicep curls in the power rack.

TurboD
03-13-2009, 03:31 PM
Originally posted by YamaLube
rant

thanks for the comments, i wasn't as harsh on the gym but that's because i don't have a membership for that gym.

sucks that you have a membership to a gym that wasn't properly thought out even though all they had to do was duplicate the northgate gym and improve what faults it has.

i agree with the muddy shoes.

i have to credit the northgate gym though, after whining about it for 2 weeks i went in today because i knew it would be slow on a friday afternoon and i was pleased with more than one thing.

they finally got a scale! and they got the indestructible scale that i wanted them to get (same as northland)

so the scale was a big bonus, and it was very clean, probably one of the best days at the gym ever, after today i will likely stick with this gym rather than transfer to northland. out of all the golds i find i get a better workout at northgate in a quicker time.