PDA

View Full Version : Taking 3rd year ENGG classes at U of C

asad16
03-09-2009, 02:11 PM
Hey,

I transferred into first year engineering this year, and I completed some first year class, so I decided to take second year classes. My question is that since I'm taking some second year classes now, am I able to take third year classes with my remaining second year classes next year (assuming I get into my specialization) ?

I've talked to different people in the undergrad office, who have been giving me split answers... so hopefully beyond can help me here

Eleanor
03-09-2009, 02:23 PM
I don't see why you couldn't, just as long as you have the pre-reqs you should be able to take any class you want.

r0g3r
03-09-2009, 02:31 PM
^

what he said.

If you have the prereqs then there is no problem at all. There are some classes, however, that want you to be in a certain year.

I think Engg209/Econ 209 doesn't allow "first year" students.

hrdkore
03-09-2009, 03:11 PM
+1, as long as you meet the requirement or have speical permission to override those requirements then you can take the class, the only foreseeable problem is that if the classes uses something from another class but not really needed to know beforehand, it would just make things easier to do.

badatusrnames
03-09-2009, 03:16 PM
You would probably have to get permission from the department. They would probably assess your likelihood of getting into a program to see if it would be worthwhile giving you permission to take a department specific course.

You can also take COST options like ENGG 418 and ENCH 513 (?)...

Eleanor
03-09-2009, 03:31 PM
Originally posted by r0g3r
I think Engg209/Econ 209 doesn't allow "first year" students. That's what they say, but I know at least two people who did it first year.

ExtraSlow
03-09-2009, 03:42 PM
The folks in the undergrad office used to be super helpful when I was there. Strange that you are getting conflicting answers. If they tell you that you can't take something, and you feel that you have a good case, go talk to the department that offers it, or the prof.
For instance, for Chem, it's Jeje that you need to talk to, and he's somewhat reasonable.
the person you want will have a title similar to Associate Head Undergraduate Studies.

Good luck.

vinc456
03-09-2009, 04:27 PM
When it comes to your degree it's best to speak with an expert/adviser.

You could potentially delay your graduation, take courses you don't need, etc.

badatusrnames
03-09-2009, 04:29 PM
Originally posted by ExtraSlow
The folks in the undergrad office used to be super helpful when I was there. Strange that you are getting conflicting answers. If they tell you that you can't take something, and you feel that you have a good case, go talk to the department that offers it, or the prof.
For instance, for Chem, it's Jeje that you need to talk to, and he's somewhat reasonable.
the person you want will have a title similar to Associate Head Undergraduate Studies.

Good luck.

+1 for Jeje. Otherwise, try Suzanne Dauner (I believe) in the undergrad office.

The undergrad office sees a lot of turnover apparently, I've heard of people getting some pretty terrible advice from the staff there which more or less fuggered them up pretty bad.

asad16
03-10-2009, 04:15 PM
Yeah I definitely agree with that, lucky enough If you talk to the right people they can get you through shit that other people won't let you. I remember last year, I went to a couple times to the undergrad office to get allowance to get into chem 209, but since im not in engineering i couldn't get in and i had to take chem 201 and chem 203. Lucky enough I tried another time with some lady, and she put me in without any questions. It's so crazy how if you go at the right time, someone can end up saving you a course's tuition and alot of stress.

badatusrnames
03-10-2009, 05:39 PM
Originally posted by asad16
Yeah I definitely agree with that, lucky enough If you talk to the right people they can get you through shit that other people won't let you. I remember last year, I went to a couple times to the undergrad office to get allowance to get into chem 209, but since im not in engineering i couldn't get in and i had to take chem 201 and chem 203. Lucky enough I tried another time with some lady, and she put me in without any questions. It's so crazy how if you go at the right time, someone can end up saving you a course's tuition and alot of stress.

Yup. For example, I was granted permission to take ENGG 209 in my gap year between bio & engg, my friend, who was doing the same thing as me (transferring into ENGG) wasn't allowed to take it.

Yet, that friend was given credit in AMAT 219 for MATH 253 (Calc II), but I wasn't (although I had an A in 253) and had to take AMAT 219...

If someone says no to you the first time, just wait a day or week and try to ask someone else.

diamondedge
03-10-2009, 08:02 PM
+1 for COST options.

I have to take those these spring/summer so my 4th year isn't weighed down....