PDA

View Full Version : Ariel Atom in Calgary - No real info yet

Cody D
03-09-2009, 02:16 PM
I just read on an Ariel Atom forum that someone in Calgary took delivery of their Ariel Atom 3 in January of this year. Anyone know who it is or have any info about whether it is street legal? I will sell my house to buy one if they can be made street legal here, :bigpimp: .

http://www.arielatom.com/

D_2K
03-09-2009, 02:25 PM
I was in London and saw one driving down the road. I guess they are street legal there?

Eleanor
03-09-2009, 02:25 PM
They are street legal here AFAIK. Registered as a kit car.

Cody D
03-09-2009, 02:29 PM
Originally posted by Eleanor
They are street legal here AFAIK. Registered as a kit car.

This guys can't be registered as a kit car because it was brought into Canada completely assembled. He said when it was delivered he fired it up.

m10-power
03-09-2009, 08:27 PM
After driving one, I'd never own one. My understanding is that Arial Atom NA is owned by a Canadian. Manufactured in the USA and can be legally imported and used in Canada. They were selling them at the school, even the $250k version :rofl:

Mibz
03-09-2009, 08:40 PM
Pretty sure with the windshield option and DRLs fitted (among other possible quick fixes) they're street legal.

m10-power, why wouldn't you own one?

m10-power
03-09-2009, 09:46 PM
Originally posted by Mibz
Pretty sure with the windshield option and DRLs fitted (among other possible quick fixes) they're street legal.

m10-power, why wouldn't you own one?

Quick but certainly not fast

Most video game FFB wheels give more accurate feel then the Atom did. Very easy to lock the wheels and not realize it base on steering feel. Very uncomfortable at speed, worse in the wet based on the wrecks in the rain from some very experienced instructors.

Probably could be fix with effort and better setup, maybe not. Everyone that instructed said the same thing, steering was disconnected from the track. Not a good quality in a track machine.

I'd buy an elise over this any day, or just spring for a 997 GT3 which was much more impressive to drive on the track.

Cody D
03-10-2009, 07:39 AM
m10-power, what about a Caterham? I'm also in love with the Caterham Hayabusa offered by Super 7 Cars out of Vancouver.

911fever
03-10-2009, 07:47 AM
Originally posted by m10-power

Quick but certainly not fast

Most video game FFB wheels give more accurate feel then the Atom did. Very easy to lock the wheels and not realize it base on steering feel. Very uncomfortable at speed, worse in the wet based on the wrecks in the rain from some very experienced instructors.

Probably could be fix with effort and better setup, maybe not. Everyone that instructed said the same thing, steering was disconnected from the track. Not a good quality in a track machine.

I'd buy an elise over this any day, or just spring for a 997 GT3 which was much more impressive to drive on the track.

amen. the 997 GT3 is a phenomenal car. unreal.