PDA

View Full Version : Kicking Horse avalanche death guys named today

20incheyes
03-09-2009, 03:59 PM
Hima (Owner of Riegel Tuning) and I just shared a ride a few weeks ago. He let me sit upfront in the minivan as always, we talked shop, and then went on our way, little did I know that was the last time we could share our passion for automotive engineering together :(

Hima even had the same winter hobby as myself and he passed away in an avalanche at Kicking Horse Resort in Golden on Saturday. RIP Hima and my condolences go out to your family and staff at Riegel

http://www.grand-am.com/rolex/news/index.cfm?cid=21052

brandon
03-09-2009, 04:01 PM
RIP

JAYMEZ
03-09-2009, 04:02 PM
Damn RIP , talked to him a few times about Porsche mods.

GREENBOY
03-09-2009, 04:38 PM
Here's a link. I'm guessing at least one of these guys may be well known by some people on here...

http://www.cbc.ca/canada/calgary/story/2009/03/09/cgy-golden-avalanche-victims-id.html

rage2
03-09-2009, 04:40 PM
Heard about this on the weekend... RIP Hima.

Eleanor
03-09-2009, 04:40 PM
Wow, that sucks.

But at the same time, don't ski out of bounds and this shit is a lot less likely to happen.

colt22
03-09-2009, 04:41 PM
me and my buddy were in that exact location out of bounds, not really knowing how far we went. We started going down and all of the sudden the powder turned to a hard upper sheet, and we almost floated on the surface of it (avalanche conditions) until we reached a 10m snow cliff where a avalanche had just sheered off, with all the debris at the bottom. super scary, super dumb. kicking horse is intense enough as it is, people, like my self, should always stay in bounds

its called 'the superbowl' fun- but obviously super dangerous. never again.
http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b41/colt20/100_0227.jpg

RIP to the two riders!

chkolny541
03-09-2009, 04:51 PM
wow^ sad story,

speedracer
03-09-2009, 04:52 PM
RIP Hima, condolences to his family.

Alpine Autowerks
03-09-2009, 05:40 PM
RIP Hima

googe
03-09-2009, 05:53 PM
http://www.ottawacitizen.com/news/Kicking+Horse+avalanche+kills/1366349/story.html

With two decades of experience, Golden snowboarder John Matheson knows there are some areas that are too dangerous to venture into.

He said the region where two skiers got caught in Saturday has numerous signs clearly marking it as dangerous.

“It’s a permanently closed area and for good reason. There is a huge cornice covering the entire section.

. . . Anyone with any avalanche training would know not to go into that area,” said Matheson, who works at Darkside, a sports equipment store.

The deaths of two skiers in the region, on the heels of another recent out-of-bounds death, frustrated many of the patrons visiting Darkside

“Even if you don’t have avalanche training, you would know this area was dangerous. It’s a red flag for anyone, but that’s possibly the appeal of it,” Matheson said.

Kicking Horse released a statement offering its sympathies to the family and friends of the dead men.

“This is an unfortunate event, but it needs to be stressed that these skiers entered a permanent avalanche closure,” says the statement. “The area is roped with explicit signage indicating the avalanche closure.”

With a family and kids, I dunno why one would take chances like that...

VWEvo
03-09-2009, 06:08 PM
Dr. Sheilish Dave was a great periodontist here in Calgary. I had the privledge of working with him on numerous patients. A great guy, and a huge loss to the Dental community here in Calgary.

Ripper
03-09-2009, 06:12 PM
Hima, my first boss, a great supporter of my racing passion, and most of all as a good friend, may you rest in peace.

:( :( :( :( :( :( :(

ondubs
03-09-2009, 06:15 PM
Hima,

You will be missed, my thoughts are with your family.

blueToy
03-09-2009, 06:18 PM
So very sad . I was actually supposed to have work done by Dr. Dave tomorrow before I posponed it for the end of March . I did have the oppurtunity to meet him once , and it was brief , but the impression he left with me was that of someone who had a real handle on life . His staff spoke so very highly of him it helped in calming my fears of the procedure he was supposed to do , and they just adored him .
My deepest condolences to his family and friends and co-workers , and to the family and friends of Hima as well .

cocoabrova
03-09-2009, 06:26 PM
R.I.P. Himanshu...........

Boost Infested
03-09-2009, 07:13 PM
damn, RIP.... I was very close to it when it happened.

kevie88
03-09-2009, 07:27 PM
So sad to hear this today.. I met Hema a few years back and he really was a fun guy to be around. He'll be missed in the racing community.

stealth
03-09-2009, 10:11 PM
RIP.

Dj_Stylz
03-09-2009, 10:26 PM
RIP to both:(

Redlyne_mr2
03-09-2009, 10:44 PM
Originally posted by Eleanor
Wow, that sucks.

But at the same time, don't ski out of bounds and this shit is a lot less likely to happen.
RIP Hima, nothing wrong with skiing out of bounds, the best skiing is found out there but you need to know whats dangerous and what isnt. Ive skied the lower portion of that bowl many times but never ventured up to where they went because it's obvious suicide. Such a tragedy.

Singel
03-09-2009, 11:12 PM
Condolences to all friends/family and everyone else affected by this tragedy (including ski patrol who had to dig them out).

Just to clarify a few things, as the news coverage has generally been terrible on this event. I hate to play the 'blame the victim' card, but in this case it seems very appropriate, and necessary to help avoid future PREVENTABLE deaths.

a) First of all, you might mention that they were skiing in a PERMANENTLY CLOSED area. Think Delirum Dive, Silver City, or Wild West at Sunshine, or Whitehorn 2 chutes, ER 5 at Lake Louise, but even more dangerous. Over years of hard work and study by patrol the preceding areas have been able to open at certain times of the year when conditions were deemed to be safe, compared to previously when they were also Permanently Closed areas. The area these two were skiing was not even at that point, but deemed to be too dangerous to open at all.

b) He may have had all of the avy gear, but it was all rented from the rental shop at the base. The employee overheard them talking about the line they were planning to ski and cautioned them strongly against it. It is very questionable whether they were in fact 'experts', especially when it comes to avalanche safety. It is extremely rare that the line they skied is considered safe. Saturday was nowhere near one of those days. It is called Darwin's Chute for a reason.

c) It was not his 'friends' that dug him out. His partner was also buried (Avalanche awareness 101 - go one at a time on any suspect slopes). AFAIK the 14 year old and 36 year old waiting at the top were not in their party; they called 911 and the rescue effort was launched by the resort and SAR. The 2 at the top either felt it was not safe to attempt the rescue themselves, or lacked the knowledge to do so.

d) It was more like 25 minutes and 30 minutes before they were dug out. They were buried under 160 and 170 cm's of snow. This was a big slide, over lots of rugged terrain and cliffs; it is likely that they succumb not only to suffocation, but trauma on the way down.

e) Ski patrol did an excellent job. I was very near the area at the time and everyone was hauling ass to get there. A heli was dropping ski patrol at the scene within minutes, flying to the top of the gondola to collect more patrol and equipment, and back to the scene. KHMR did everything they could, including unmissable signage for this permanently closed terrain.

Once again, I'm not looking to start a shitstorm here, but rather shine some light on how their preventable deaths came about so that others may think twice about ducking a rope without the knowledge and consideration to do so safely. Quite frankly, it would have been miraculous if either or both of them managed to ski out of that chute alive.

Eleanor
03-10-2009, 09:00 AM
Originally posted by Redlyne_mr2
nothing wrong with skiing out of bounds, the best skiing is found out there but you need to know whats dangerous and what isnt. Sorry, you're right, should've clarified.

Don't ski out of bounds without the necessary precautions & training.

None the less RIP and my condolences.

GQBalla
03-10-2009, 09:05 AM
RIP

a social dsease
03-10-2009, 09:10 AM
Originally posted by Singel
Condolences to all friends/family and everyone else affected by this tragedy (including ski patrol who had to dig them out).

Just to clarify a few things, as the news coverage has generally been terrible on this event. I hate to play the 'blame the victim' card, but in this case it seems very appropriate, and necessary to help avoid future PREVENTABLE deaths.

a) First of all, you might mention that they were skiing in a PERMANENTLY CLOSED area. Think Delirum Dive, Silver City, or Wild West at Sunshine, or Whitehorn 2 chutes, ER 5 at Lake Louise, but even more dangerous. Over years of hard work and study by patrol the preceding areas have been able to open at certain times of the year when conditions were deemed to be safe, compared to previously when they were also Permanently Closed areas. The area these two were skiing was not even at that point, but deemed to be too dangerous to open at all.

b) He may have had all of the avy gear, but it was all rented from the rental shop at the base. The employee overheard them talking about the line they were planning to ski and cautioned them strongly against it. It is very questionable whether they were in fact 'experts', especially when it comes to avalanche safety. It is extremely rare that the line they skied is considered safe. Saturday was nowhere near one of those days. It is called Darwin's Chute for a reason.

c) It was not his 'friends' that dug him out. His partner was also buried (Avalanche awareness 101 - go one at a time on any suspect slopes). AFAIK the 14 year old and 36 year old waiting at the top were not in their party; they called 911 and the rescue effort was launched by the resort and SAR. The 2 at the top either felt it was not safe to attempt the rescue themselves, or lacked the knowledge to do so.

d) It was more like 25 minutes and 30 minutes before they were dug out. They were buried under 160 and 170 cm's of snow. This was a big slide, over lots of rugged terrain and cliffs; it is likely that they succumb not only to suffocation, but trauma on the way down.

e) Ski patrol did an excellent job. I was very near the area at the time and everyone was hauling ass to get there. A heli was dropping ski patrol at the scene within minutes, flying to the top of the gondola to collect more patrol and equipment, and back to the scene. KHMR did everything they could, including unmissable signage for this permanently closed terrain.

Once again, I'm not looking to start a shitstorm here, but rather shine some light on how their preventable deaths came about so that others may think twice about ducking a rope without the knowledge and consideration to do so safely. Quite frankly, it would have been miraculous if either or both of them managed to ski out of that chute alive.

Well said. My condolences to family and friends. I can only hope that this will be a learning experience for others, there is no ski run in the world that is worth dying for. RIP

3g4u
03-10-2009, 09:15 AM
Thats sad. RIP.

Any experienced out of bounds rider will own their own gear and know how to use it. You gotta be able to know when conditions are good and when they are not so good. I am glad i have taken the avalanche course a few times.

GREENBOY
03-10-2009, 04:49 PM
again...they weren't 'out of bounds'...they were in a 'permanently closed' area. That doesn't mean if you're an expert or if the conditions are right you can go in there, it means it's permanently closed to anyone because it will likely kill you or someone else. There is a huge difference.

Import_Girl
03-15-2009, 07:20 PM
Hima was always such a happy guy, and was so happy to connect with people that shared a passion for racing and high performance cars. Truly an amazing person, and will be missed by so many.

Thank you for everything you taught me, for the moments we laughed and for making such a differance in the performance industry. For your wife, and your beautiful girls, may they be clothed with strength to get thru these years with out you by their side.

I cant imagine their sadness, but I know it is devistating.

At the time of his funeral, 2:00 saturday afternoon, i was at the top of queest mountain over looking the shushwap. I got off my skidoo and layed on my back in the snow and prayed for his family, consumed my thoughts of all the people that were so close to him and laying him to his final rest. Remembering that moment, and breathing in the memory

20incheyes
03-15-2009, 11:43 PM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Import_Girl
Hima was always such a happy guy, and was so happy to connect with people that shared a passion for racing and high performance cars. Truly an amazing person, and will be missed by so many.

Thank you for everything you taught me, for the moments we laughed and for making such a differance in the performance industry. For your wife, and your beautiful girls, may they be clothed with strength to get thru these years with out you by their side.

I cant imagine their sadness, but I know it is devistating.

At the time of his funeral, 2:00 saturday afternoon, i was at the top of queest mountain over looking the shushwap. I got off my skidoo and layed on my back in the snow and prayed for his family, consumed my thoughts of all the people that were so close to him and laying him to his final rest. Remembering that moment, and breathing in the memory

Well said! Hima was a true gentleman :) Very nice tribute you made to him and his family in the snow :thumbsup:

Hakkola
03-15-2009, 11:52 PM
Crazy. There's a house down the street and there have been a lot of cars outside for the past few days, was wondering what was going on. The neighbours went to a funeral yesterday, said it was the guy in that house, my mom thought it was Dr. Sheilish Dave that lived in that house, but I just figured out it was Hima because there was a porsche on a trailer outside his house a few times that looked track prepared and his wife had a sweet '94 500e that I used to oogle, very tastefully done. Had no idea who lived there until yesterday.

I never met him personally, but it was nice seeing the cars, and he sounded like a great guy.

RIP.