PDA

View Full Version : Beyond.ca - how much data?

bituerbo
03-10-2009, 10:23 AM
Hey Rage2 (or anyone else 'in the know').

How much transfer do you see monthly from this site?

Sincerely,

Concerned.

em2ab
03-10-2009, 10:57 AM
I'm interested as well. I'd guess close to 100 gigs.

bituerbo
03-10-2009, 11:07 AM
Originally posted by em2ab
I'm interested as well. I'd guess close to 100 gigs.
I'd HIGHLY suspect it's in the TB range, but waiting for official input!

benyl
03-10-2009, 11:10 AM
It is mostly text. I can't see it being in the TB range at all.

Eleanor
03-10-2009, 11:21 AM
Originally posted by benyl
It is mostly text. I can't see it being in the TB range at all. JB & post a hot pic thread? :D

kenny
03-10-2009, 11:28 AM
Originally posted by benyl
It is mostly text. I can't see it being in the TB range at all.

There are a lot of attachments on the forums.

Back in 2003 we were moving about 70 - 75GB / month... I'm curious what we're moving today. We have made numerous changes to the forums to reduce our bandwidth usage.

Mibz
03-10-2009, 11:28 AM
Originally posted by Eleanor
JB & post a hot pic thread? :D Those don't count towards Beyond's transfer since they're hosted elsewhere. Beyond does host avatars though, which, I imagine, would have a significant impact if they're not resized before being stored.

rage2
03-10-2009, 11:58 AM
We average 18GB/day. Yesterday was a little above average at 18.452GB.

We run full HTTP compression, we've streamlined as much text/code as we can on all pages, but ya, avatars eat up a lot of bandwidth.

There's size restrictions for avatars, and they're automatically disabled under heavy load (it's the biggest CPU killer on the DB side).

Our biggest day in the last year was 132.040GB, I believe that was the day of the claw.

EK 2.0
03-10-2009, 12:03 PM
Originally posted by rage2

I know nothing about this sort of stuff...but that seems awfully low....haha...

I was thinking a number like 100 or something...

Kloubek
03-10-2009, 12:05 PM

Our biggest day in the last year was 132.040GB, I believe that was the day of the claw.

"The Day of The Claw". Awesome.

Perhaps we should just shorten it to "Claw Day". I don't know about anyone else, but I'm willing to push for it to be a stat.

Eleanor
03-10-2009, 12:22 PM
Originally posted by Mibz
Those don't count towards Beyond's transfer since they're hosted elsewhere. Beyond does host avatars though, which, I imagine, would have a significant impact if they're not resized before being stored. Shows you what I know about the internetz :rofl:

benyl
03-10-2009, 12:26 PM
Originally posted by Eleanor
Shows you what I know about the internetz :rofl:

That is why so many sites don't allow hot linking or save their photos without a .jpg, .png extension. They are trying to stop people from stealing their bandwidth.

em2ab
03-10-2009, 12:28 PM
Originally posted by EK 2.0

I know nothing about this sort of stuff...but that seems awfully low....haha...

I was thinking a number like 100 or something...

It's closer to 20,000 megabytes if that makes you feel better! :)

adam c
03-10-2009, 12:32 PM
18G per day?

That seems pretty high, aren't most images cached in everyone's machines and with most content being text...

I dunno?

EK 2.0
03-10-2009, 12:34 PM

It's closer to 20,000 megabytes if that makes you feel better! :)

Actually yeah...it sort of does haha...

But I equate the usage to the storage in my 160GB iPod haha....how I measure anything computer storage related haha...

And 18BG doesn't seem like a lot....I mean for all that beyond does in a day...haha...

em2ab
03-10-2009, 01:18 PM
Originally posted by EK 2.0

Actually yeah...it sort of does haha...

But I equate the usage to the storage in my 160GB iPod haha....how I measure anything computer storage related haha...

And 18BG doesn't seem like a lot....I mean for all that beyond does in a day...haha...

vBulletin which is the software Beyond runs on is very good at caching and data management. It builds all the pages dynamically so all it transfers out from the server is each post from a database, the logo and a few background images. The blue line across the top of each box is even built dynamically, it's actually the following blue image stretched across the page. So it only sends this small image, then changes the size on display:

http://forums.beyond.ca/i/bg.gif

Each page is dynamically built and transfers very little data.

Mibz
03-10-2009, 01:24 PM

vBulletin which is the software Beyond runs on is very good at caching and data management. It builds all the pages dynamically so all it transfers out from the server is each post from a database, the logo and a few background images. The blue line across the top of each box is even built dynamically, it's actually the following blue image stretched across the page. So it only sends this small image, then changes the size on display:

http://forums.beyond.ca/i/bg.gif

Each page is dynamically built and transfers very little data. I didn't know that. That's fucking cool.

GQBalla
03-10-2009, 01:38 PM
ahah i remember when the avatars shut down when the claw thread was going about

em2ab
03-10-2009, 02:11 PM
If you really want to hammer the server, set your browser to not cache images and always pull new content from the server.....:nut:

Elaenor
03-10-2009, 02:11 PM

We run full HTTP compression, we've streamlined as much text/code as we can on all pages, but ya, avatars eat up a lot of bandwidth.

There's size restrictions for avatars, and they're automatically disabled under heavy load (it's the biggest CPU killer on the DB side).

Cool! Thanks for the info!

Mibz
03-10-2009, 02:14 PM
If you really want to hammer the server, set your browser to not cache images and always pull new content from the server.....:nut: And run the original Fasterfox with Prefetch enabled. Hahaha, it'll be a new DDOS:
"Hey man, install this extension, it makes your shit go way faster. Oh yeah, turn it up to prefetch 50 pages at a time. Sweet, yeah, now disable caching. Sweet, okay, now at 4:45 go to this website for me, k?"
Rinse and repeat.

chkolny541
03-10-2009, 02:15 PM
^^lol, just to be dicks

rage2
03-10-2009, 04:46 PM
Originally posted by Mibz
And run the original Fasterfox with Prefetch enabled. Hahaha, it'll be a new DDOS:
"Hey man, install this extension, it makes your shit go way faster. Oh yeah, turn it up to prefetch 50 pages at a time. Sweet, yeah, now disable caching. Sweet, okay, now at 4:45 go to this website for me, k?"
Rinse and repeat.
We have standby servers that can easily handle the load. Like I said, once the load hits a pre-determined point, avatars gets disabled, and that opens up enough database CPU to serve more than 15 times the normal volume (the DB is basically our non scalable bottleneck at this point). If I upgrade the DB server, we can probably double or triple that amount, but there's been no need.

Bandwidth wise, I think we're alright...

http://www.speedtest.net/result/412493707.png

I think that might've been on a bad night :).

GQBalla
03-10-2009, 05:40 PM
dannggg

bawlin - ^%^^

UndrgroundRider
03-10-2009, 06:52 PM

We have standby servers that can easily handle the load. Like I said, once the load hits a pre-determined point, avatars gets disabled, and that opens up enough database CPU to serve more than 15 times the normal volume (the DB is basically our non scalable bottleneck at this point). If I upgrade the DB server, we can probably double or triple that amount, but there's been no need.

Bandwidth wise, I think we're alright...

http://www.speedtest.net/result/412493707.png

I think that might've been on a bad night :).

I'm not a vB expert, but if the avatars require that much CPU utilization, why not store them as files instead? That's what most php galleries do, and then just store the index information in the db.

rage2
03-10-2009, 07:59 PM
Originally posted by UndrgroundRider
I'm not a vB expert, but if the avatars require that much CPU utilization, why not store them as files instead? That's what most php galleries do, and then just store the index information in the db.
That's actually what vb3 does. I started to convert vb2 to use a file based system, but I got lazy, and just implemented the avatar disable on high load instead which works just as well. We've only seen it get disabled 2 or 3 times last year (again, around the claw days), so it works well enough for now.

911fever
03-21-2009, 08:35 PM
When are you seeing peak hours for beyond data use? Night time between 6-9pm?