PDA

View Full Version : best sushi in town

Pages : [1] 2 3

asp integra
03-10-2009, 02:52 PM
where does everyone like to go for sushi in calgary? of all the places i have been to, misato would be the best, in the sw near sunterra, where else do people like to get sushi?

ercchry
03-10-2009, 02:55 PM
uh no not another one of these....

for me

sushi- blowfish
rolls- globefish

chkolny541
03-10-2009, 02:56 PM
kinjo!

suen_boi
03-10-2009, 02:57 PM
Sushi Club - Kensington
El's Japanese Fusion - Marda Loop

cooperS
03-10-2009, 02:57 PM
try out Wa's on centre street and tenshi on 10th

GQBalla
03-10-2009, 03:02 PM
i like search, pretty good lotsa people recommend it

sputnik
03-10-2009, 03:10 PM
These sushi threads are funny.

Everyone thinks everyone else's favorite sushi joint sucks.

Kona9
03-10-2009, 03:11 PM
Blowfish

buh_buh
03-10-2009, 03:13 PM
Sushi Club

rony_espana
03-10-2009, 03:20 PM
sushi boat and superstore sushi :D

n1zm0
03-10-2009, 03:20 PM
goto T&T or a seafood supplier, watch them filet the live salmon, take the filet home, cut it up and eat sashimi with wasabe and kikkoman till i drop or burn my sinuses.

lol this is like the 4th or 5th sushi thread..

JohnnyBlaze
03-10-2009, 03:21 PM
sushi club, get the 3 sisters salmon

npham
03-10-2009, 03:31 PM
10+ posts and no mention of Zipang? Apparently our standards around here have dropped :dunno:

89coupe
03-10-2009, 03:33 PM
For quality it would have to be Sushi Club.

GQBalla
03-10-2009, 03:36 PM
Originally posted by n1zm0
goto T&T or a seafood supplier, watch them filet the live salmon, take the filet home, cut it up and eat sashimi with wasabe and kikkoman till i drop or burn my sinuses.

lol this is like the 4th or 5th sushi thread..

becareful of worms and parasites,

for sashimi the fish is flash frozen 3 or 4 times i believe to kill that shit.

Ebon
03-10-2009, 03:44 PM
id go with Wa's or Zipang

rage2
03-10-2009, 03:48 PM
Originally posted by sputnik
These sushi threads are funny.

Everyone thinks everyone else's favorite sushi joint sucks.
That's because everyone has a completely different definition of "best sushi".

Seriously, I dunno how many ppl I encounter regularly that talk about best sushi, and best being cheapest. All you can eat. Drives me fucking nuts.

signature7
03-10-2009, 05:44 PM
another one for sushi club.

Sorath
03-10-2009, 05:53 PM
For good sushi I go to wa's and towa. For all u can eat I got to sushi BBQ inn. Sushi ichiban and ginza. Though I go to sushi bbq inn more for their bbq

Majestic12
03-10-2009, 05:55 PM
I hope so, because the sushi there is horrible.

A790
03-10-2009, 05:59 PM
Globefish for me. Love it :)

msommers
03-10-2009, 06:27 PM
Originally posted by npham
10+ posts and no mention of Zipang? Apparently our standards around here have dropped :dunno:

It's too expensive for some to enjoy apparently!

It works just the same as say a burger. If you don't eat out often and you're just craving a good burger, would you rather go to Mcdicks or Burger Inn/Boogies? BUT IT'S MORE EXPENSIVE:cry:

kamakurakid
03-10-2009, 06:53 PM
Globefish for me. I spent nearly a decade in Japan, it all is somewhat marginal in Canada from my experience. Globefish is the best of the three places I have been to in Calgary. All fish used for sushi in Canada and the USA has to be frozen, thawed, and then cut. It is a law from the health agencies, in Japan there is no such law. I think this is why the fish has a very different texture from in Asia and a far better taste. Think in terms of a frozen steak and it is the same idea.

If you want to know why they require the fish to be frozen, I can tell you. Let's just say, and this is from a Japanese sushi chef in Whistler, he told me to stay away from the sword fish, all sword fish. I also recall an autobiography written by a top chef in NYC, he said no chef who knows fish will ever eat sword fish.

Sushi is also eaten in a certain order, there are oily fish and these are eaten early in the meal. It all goes better with saki and beer, eat the pickled ginger as well it is there for a reason.

If you can get grilled eel, well this is a death row meal for me. Love eel grilled, Japanese style on rice.

Stay away from the sushi joint in Chinatown, I cannot recall the name but it has to be the worst sushi I have ever had. Any 7-11 in Tokyo has better sushi and it will not kill you.

blinkme_210
03-10-2009, 08:11 PM
Shikiji & Fujiyama. Nice balance between price and quality.

blinkme_210
03-10-2009, 08:13 PM
Originally posted by kamakurakid
Stay away from the sushi joint in Chinatown, I cannot recall the name but it has to be the worst sushi I have ever had. Any 7-11 in Tokyo has better sushi and it will not kill you.

Sushi Tokyo in Dragon City (the Chinese mall), or Sakana Grill? Either way, STAY AWAY from both!

rage2
03-10-2009, 08:14 PM
Originally posted by msommers
It's too expensive for some to enjoy apparently!
:werd:

I don't even bother anymore with recommendations. You get what you pay for... so many ppl care too much about price. Zipang is one of my top 3 in town. They have the best tuna in town IMO. And really... they're not even the most expensive.

blinkme_210
03-10-2009, 08:21 PM
^^
I've been meaning to try out Zipang for some time now. Any must eat items besides their tuna?

rage2
03-10-2009, 08:25 PM
Originally posted by blinkme_210
^^
I've been meaning to try out Zipang for some time now. Any must eat items besides their tuna?
I'm not a big fan of their kitchen food, all their sushi is top notch. They have an interesting sauce for their spicy tuna as well, which I'm a huge fan of.

Once in a while, they get shit imported from Japan and it's only available for a day. Their bluefin tuna was pretty damn good, but pricey. Something like $8 a piece. I've had better bluefin (in San Fran and Van) that was well worth the price.

nj2Type-S
03-10-2009, 08:27 PM
Originally posted by chkolny541
kinjo!

i actually love going to kinjo. everyone there is so nice and peter is hilarious! i used to get some free food whenever i went there...i haven't been there in a long while, though.

leec001
03-11-2009, 07:11 AM
Misato - West Market Square
420-1851 Sirocco Drive SW (403) 217-3000

Reservation Recommanded.

Kona9
03-11-2009, 07:34 AM
Originally posted by rage2

:werd:

I don't even bother anymore with recommendations. You get what you pay for... so many ppl care too much about price. Zipang is one of my top 3 in town. They have the best tuna in town IMO. And really... they're not even the most expensive.

It's because of you that I like Blowfish so much!

n1zm0
03-11-2009, 07:49 AM
Originally posted by GQBalla
becareful of worms and parasites,

for sashimi the fish is flash frozen 3 or 4 times i believe to kill that shit.

yes of course i left that part out, wash it w cold water, dab with paper towel, throw the whole slab on a plate/saran wrap, freeze for half hourish, take out room temp thaw for half hour, bowl of hot rice, wasabe and kikko :drool: so simple so filling.
maybe a side of cold kimchi too.

something along the lines of that.

JordanEG6
03-11-2009, 08:27 AM

Zipang is one of my top 3 in town. They have the best tuna in town IMO. And really... they're not even the most expensive.

Where is this place?

89coupe
03-11-2009, 08:37 AM
Zipang is located in Bridgeland 1010 1 Avenue NE

Its ok there, nothing over the top wow though. Its not expensive there, normal everyday price you would pay.

I've tried pretty much every sushi place in the downtown core and surrounding area and Sushi Club shines above them all.

Its not real fancy there, but the freshness and quality of their food is top notch.

I'm a huge Toro fan myself.

sabad66
03-11-2009, 08:46 AM
Towa and Globefish!

core_upt
03-11-2009, 09:18 AM
Momoyama on 37th Street and Richard Road is my fave place - BUT I'm not the biggest sushi fan. I get cravings every once in a while, but this place is the only one I've been to where everything single thing I tried I'd eat again.

Maybe a good pick for those new to sushi?

jwslam
03-11-2009, 10:27 AM
mango paradise roll at globefish

r3ccOs
03-11-2009, 11:09 AM
Originally posted by leec001
Misato - West Market Square
420-1851 Sirocco Drive SW (403) 217-3000

Reservation Recommanded.

Best in town IMO

TYMSMNY
03-11-2009, 11:13 AM
Zipang in Bridgeland
Globefish on 14th St.

Mikado in Edmonton

Both Zipang and Mikado import special fish from Japan every week.

npham
03-12-2009, 11:50 AM
Originally posted by 89coupe
Zipang is located in Bridgeland 1010 1 Avenue NE

Its ok there, nothing over the top wow though. Its not expensive there, normal everyday price you would pay.

I've tried pretty much every sushi place in the downtown core and surrounding area and Sushi Club shines above them all.

Its not real fancy there, but the freshness and quality of their food is top notch.

I'm a huge Toro fan myself.

I've been to Sushi Club as well, and I didn't leave that impressed. The food was good, but nothing that memorable. I do recall the rolls being small and not well made.

89coupe
03-12-2009, 11:54 AM
Its funny, when I think sushi, I don't think rolls.

I think raw fish on a bed of rice.

As for size, more doesn't mean better.

JDMMAN
03-12-2009, 11:57 AM
Sushi Hiro (Downtown 5th Ave) :thumbsup:

Sushi Bar Miki (Bowness area) :thumbsup:

And Yamato (across SWC HS) :thumbsup:

Ice712
03-12-2009, 07:53 PM
Its funny, when I think sushi, I don't think rolls.

I think raw fish on a bed of rice.

As for size, more doesn't mean better.

I agree.

I look for (in this order):

-fresh fish (always)
-perfect sushi rice (typical problems: over cooked rice, too warm, too loose, not seasoned properly)
-Japanese sushi chef

The establishments I frequent are Zipang, Hiro, and Miki.

msommers
03-12-2009, 08:13 PM
Went to Blowfish for the second time tonight and I gotta say, it just aight my thing! Service is great, prices seem comparable as are portions, but I guess I'm not down with all the sauces and bizarre combos of 'modern sushi'. I'll have to kick it old school!

LongCity
03-12-2009, 08:38 PM
Originally posted by kamakurakid
If you want to know why they require the fish to be frozen, I can tell you. Let's just say, and this is from a Japanese sushi chef in Whistler, he told me to stay away from the sword fish, all sword fish. I also recall an autobiography written by a top chef in NYC, he said no chef who knows fish will ever eat sword fish.

You didn't really tell us anything...

rage2
03-12-2009, 09:23 PM
Originally posted by Ice712
The establishments I frequent are Zipang, Hiro, and Miki.
Hiro's gone a bit downhill the last few years, but is still one of the better ones in town. Zipang and Miki is definately my top 2.

sl888
03-12-2009, 09:39 PM
I had a few people tell me to try Chopsticks by Marlborough Mall. Are they pulling my leg?

gatorade
03-12-2009, 09:39 PM
globefish is awesome, problem is that they dont take resovations and they are always busy

flipstah
03-12-2009, 11:25 PM
Originally posted by sl888
I had a few people tell me to try Chopsticks by Marlborough Mall. Are they pulling my leg?

I've actually eaten at Chopsticks near Marlborough Mall and it's surprisingly good. Good in terms of Calgary sushi you'd expect, that is.

Disoblige
03-12-2009, 11:53 PM
To my knowledge, Chopsticks was also in partnership with Globefish. May or may not still be the case.

kenny
03-13-2009, 12:26 AM

Hiro's gone a bit downhill the last few years, but is still one of the better ones in town. Zipang and Miki is definately my top 2.

Yuck, Sushi Hiro is damn terrible and its got nothing to do with portion size, or price. Their sushi is terrible and tastes marginally better than T&T/Superstore sushi.

My Top 3:
1. Zipang
2. Blowfish
3. El's @ Marda Loop

I also enjoy Misato because its close to home.

I've been meaning to try Sushi Club but haven't had the chance yet.

Speed_69
03-13-2009, 12:38 PM
Originally posted by flipstah

I've actually eaten at Chopsticks near Marlborough Mall and it's surprisingly good. Good in terms of Calgary sushi you'd expect, that is.

:werd: Really small place but I enjoy the sushi there.

For me, Best is Calgary is Globefish.
I've also started going to the one inside Dragon City Mall called Sushi Kai which is surprising pretty good.
El's in Mardo Loop is really good but I don't like eating in there, very crappy atmosphere. I would use them for take-out though.

Where is this Zipang that everyone speaks of?

msouther
03-13-2009, 12:49 PM
"I had a few people tell me to try Chopsticks by Marlborough Mall. Are they pulling my leg?"

I used to frequent this place too, but it is more out of our way so I stopped going there. I am no expert, but I think there sushi is very good and the prices are standard to all other good places. There is some affiliation with Globefish, but I can't remember what it was exactly. I think the current owner bought it from the owner of Globefish. I am not sure how old Globefish is, but I thought that Chopsticks was sold so that Globefish could open up.

I go to Maruji Sushi as my regular place. It is on Centre Street in the Starbucks mini-mall. You can get your Venti Caramel Macchiato and sushi all at the same time. I am craving sushi now :drool:

bigboom
03-13-2009, 12:52 PM
Originally posted by Speed_69

:werd: Really small place but I enjoy the sushi there.

For me, Best is Calgary is Globefish.
I've also started going to the one inside Dragon City Mall called Sushi Kai which is surprising pretty good.
El's in Mardo Loop is really good but I don't like eating in there, very crappy atmosphere. I would use them for take-out though.

Where is this Zipang that everyone speaks of?

its in bridgeland. just a few blocks east of edmonton trail.

GQBalla
03-13-2009, 01:00 PM
sushi tokyo i was there last weekend,

and wow it was soo grosssssss

the fish was alright but the rice was so slimy and warm, the rice held together and you could barely swallow it down

INITIALD
03-13-2009, 08:17 PM
Originally posted by msouther
"
I go to Maruji Sushi as my regular place. It is on Centre Street in the Starbucks mini-mall. You can get your Venti Caramel Macchiato and sushi all at the same time. I am craving sushi now :drool:

this is probably the best Chinese owned sushi place in calgary.

max_boost
03-13-2009, 08:38 PM
Wa's is still one of my favs but only because I haven't had the chance to try out the others yet hehe

I'll make an effort to try Maruju this weekend since it's so close to home.

How's Sushi Kai in Dragon City? Anyone been?

ercchry
03-13-2009, 08:48 PM
finally tried sushi ginsha (sp?) the one in willow park....

it was pretty damn good and actually open at the weird hour of 3:30pm haha.... it was the third spot i tried going to and the only one still open after 2pm

rice did not hold together too well but that is the only complaint i had, price was pretty good (basic fish was 2.25 or 2.50, fancy fish was 3.50) and they were really big pieces too (almost too big to eat in one mouth full) nice and fresh too, no wasabi under the fish or any fishy smell or anything, just really enjoyable

GQBalla
03-14-2009, 12:02 PM
is miki open today???

i tried calling but it just rings and rings

jaylo
03-14-2009, 12:21 PM
Sushi Club

Try their tuna special appetizer, it's amazing
Also their King Crab Miso soup is fantastic

Their sashimi is the best, love the texture, quality, and taste

Price is average which is great. Small place though, you have to make reservations.

LongCity
03-15-2009, 09:44 AM
Originally posted by ercchry
finally tried sushi ginsha (sp?) the one in willow park....

it was pretty damn good and actually open at the weird hour of 3:30pm haha.... it was the third spot i tried going to and the only one still open after 2pm

rice did not hold together too well but that is the only complaint i had, price was pretty good (basic fish was 2.25 or 2.50, fancy fish was 3.50) and they were really big pieces too (almost too big to eat in one mouth full) nice and fresh too, no wasabi under the fish or any fishy smell or anything, just really enjoyable

Ginza, I believe it's called. Been there once and it wasn't too bad. I wanted to sit in one of those private booth things though. hah

flipstah
03-15-2009, 10:04 AM
How would you guys rate Sakana Grill, Downtown location?

LongCity
03-16-2009, 12:55 AM
Hardly worth it, even during happy hour.

clem24
03-16-2009, 01:14 PM
Originally posted by Disoblige
To my knowledge, Chopsticks was also in partnership with Globefish. May or may not still be the case.

The current owners of Globefish opened up Chopsticks first. Then they sold it (I think to Koreans) and opened Globefish. Both places had exactly the same menu. Chopsticks was pretty much the only place in town where you could get live uni. It was also one of my faves. But obviously it has gone downhill since then. And so has Globefish...

Originally posted by kenny
Yuck, Sushi Hiro is damn terrible and its got nothing to do with portion size, or price. Their sushi is terrible and tastes marginally better than T&T/Superstore sushi.

:werd: This is just downstairs from my office. Tried it once for lunch. :barf: Reminded me of Wasabi on 16th Ave... :barf: x 9,283,749,125

malcolmk14
03-16-2009, 03:49 PM
There is no "excellent" traditional sushi in Calgary.

The top places I've been are Misato, Globefish, and Blowfish. This is not traditional sushi. It's more fusion-type new age sushi. El's Japanese Fusion is also very good but again these places are NOT traditional.

I've yet to try Sushi Club and Zipang, but I imagine it's a lot of the same new-age stuff.

Don't get me wrong. The new-age rolls, and crazy fish/sauce combinations can be delicious, but that can hardly be considered sushi in the true sense.

If you want real, good sushi outside of Japan, you really need to search for it and pay for it.

Yasuda in New York is the best I've had, and nothing in Calgary has even come close.

The head chef there (one of the most revered sushi chefs in the world) recommended "Tojo's" in Vancouver.

89coupe
03-16-2009, 04:11 PM
Originally posted by malcolmk14
There is no "excellent" traditional sushi in Calgary.

The top places I've been are Misato, Globefish, and Blowfish. This is not traditional sushi. It's more fusion-type new age sushi. El's Japanese Fusion is also very good but again these places are NOT traditional.

I've yet to try Sushi Club and Zipang, but I imagine it's a lot of the same new-age stuff.

Don't get me wrong. The new-age rolls, and crazy fish/sauce combinations can be delicious, but that can hardly be considered sushi in the true sense.

If you want real, good sushi outside of Japan, you really need to search for it and pay for it.

Yasuda in New York is the best I've had, and nothing in Calgary has even come close.

The head chef there (one of the most revered sushi chefs in the world) recommended "Tojo's" in Vancouver.

I've been to Tojo's in Van, it was very good. Haven't been there since the reno's though. Apparently its quite nice now, decor wise.

Sushi Club here in Calgary is probably the closest thing you are going to get to good quality for this city, IMO.

gaijin
03-16-2009, 04:46 PM
You know what we should do, we should make a list of all the sushi restaurants in calgary. I swear every time one of these threads comes up, I find out about a new place that I hadn't heard of before.

I've been to these places:
Misato
Wa's
Zipang
Hibiki
Shikiji
Sushi Kawa
Hana
Blowfish
Globefish
Maruju
Shibuya Izakaya
Sushi Tokyo
Sushi BBQ Inn

I have yet to try or just now heard of these ones:
Towa
Sushi Club
El's Japanese Fusion
Tenshi
Fujiyama
Kinjo
Sakana Grill
Momoyama
Sushi Hiro
Sushi Bar Miki
Yamato
Chopsticks
Sushi Kai
Maruji Sushi
Sushi Ginza
Wasabi

Obviously some of these places are more or less traditional than others. I'd also be interested to know how many are run/staffed by Japanese people (doesn't necessarily correlate to quality however).

Would also be interesting to set these locations up as a google maps thing so people could see where all these restaurants are...

rage2
03-16-2009, 08:57 PM
I've been to Tojo's in Van, it was very good.
Very good is an understatement. It's one of the top 15 sushi restaurants in the world. I go there everytime I'm in Van.

blinkme_210
03-16-2009, 09:26 PM

Very good is an understatement. It's one of the top 15 sushi restaurants in the world. I go there everytime I'm in Van.

:werd: First thing I do when I get out of YVR is run straight to there.

riander5
03-16-2009, 09:37 PM
Originally posted by GQBalla
i like search, pretty good lotsa people recommend it
:rofl:

89coupe
03-16-2009, 10:11 PM

You would never of known it by the decor that was there before the reno's. Plastic chairs, but ugly decor, cheap cheap cheap. The food was good though.

szw
03-17-2009, 06:48 AM
How much is omakase at Tojo's?

rage2
03-17-2009, 07:32 AM
You would never of known it by the decor that was there before the reno's. Plastic chairs, but ugly decor, cheap cheap cheap. The food was good though.
That is true haha.

Originally posted by szw
How much is omakase at Tojo's?
If I remember right, they have a 80, 120, and unlimited. We spent about 300 per person after tips on the unlimited last time I was there, but that included alcohol too.

in*10*se
03-17-2009, 08:53 AM
http://forums.beyond.ca/st/246091/review-els-japanese-fusion-marda-loop/

el's fusion sushi in marda loop

malcolmk14
03-17-2009, 10:36 AM
I've been to these places (ranked in order of quality):

Misato
Globefish
Blowfish
Towa
El's Japanese Fusion
Shibuya Izakaya
Momoyama
Sushi Kawa
Shikiji
Kinjo
Sakana Grill
Yamato
Sushi BBQ Inn

Yet to try:

Sushi Tokyo
Maruju
Hana
Wa's
Zipang
Hibiki
Sushi Club
Tenshi
Fujiyama
Sushi Hiro
Sushi Bar Miki
Chopsticks
Sushi Kai
Maruji Sushi
Sushi Ginza
Wasabi

Disoblige
03-18-2009, 06:00 PM
Tried out Sushi Club a few days ago with the girlfriend. Bill ~$150; It was good, but nothing too special. The fish however is one of the freshest we had. Sockeye salmon was fresh for them that day or so they said, and it was melt in your mouth. so was the red tuna. The rolls ARE small, but they have a lot of flavor to them. Compared to El's Fusion, I'd take El's anyday. We frequent El's often and even booked the place for a party there. Great roll selection and flavor.

Went to many Sushi joints in town, and I'd have to say:

Towa: Delicious rolls (very large) and large portions of fish or eel for sushi. We love the Tempura Ice Cream there. Sometimes we go there because we know they have that great dessert.

Sushi Club: Very Fresh! More on the pricey side but definitely not the best place in town for sushi IMO. Smaller portions too.

El's Fusion: Terrific roll selection and rolls (even small) pack great flavor. Tempura portions are also large and delicious.

Globefish: Average for both taste and portion. Nothing special.

Gunkan: They have sushi pizza which tastes OKAY. Presentation is horrible, but their spicy sauce on spicy tuna rolls taste amazing. Everything else average. Only memorable thing was the spicy sauce.

Misato: One of the first places I've been to for quality sushi. Terrific place lunch or dinner. All Japanese too.

Sumo 10: Obviously on 10th Ave, the all you can eat sushi/sashimi is a great place is you feel like indulging. Quality way better than if you would go to Sushi Tokyo or Ichiban which is garbage. Not saying Sumo 10 is GREAT quality, but it's decent if you're looking for All you can eat.

Wa's: Great for lunch. Fresh water eel was melt in your mouth. Never actually tried it for dinner but will soon.

Other places don't stand out much for me.

colt22
04-07-2009, 04:32 PM
Where can I get a decent fill for about 30-40 bucks?
My friends want to go to sushi BBQ inn but apparently its garbage.

Speed_69
04-07-2009, 05:03 PM
anybody know when Sushi King on 16th Ave is suppose to open up?

Brutucus
04-07-2009, 05:05 PM
Sushi Man near bottle neck bills is pretty good.

Disoblige
04-07-2009, 08:02 PM
Went to Sushi-Man and have to say that there are better places in Calgary. Overpriced for what you receive, and not much selection to be offered. I must compliment that the fresh water eel was well made (very soft) and the special scallop was appetizing too (fresh), but that's all.

However, went back to El's and the special scallop there was the best I've ever had. Not only did I enjoy their signature rolls that I always crave, but they also have a variety of sushi available that's not on the menu (you just need to ask if they have it). This is the first place that I've seen such huge chunks of scallop given for special scallop sushi. The seared salmon was also top-notch. El's definitely is my #1 stop. :thumbsup:

Edit: Oh also..

BLOWFISH IS COMPLETE GARBAGE! I can't believe anyone who is looking for any decent quality sushi will even consider going to Blowfish. Sushi is overpriced beyong belief and their rolls are for the most part terrible. Their best roll (their signature) is pretty much on par with a normal roll at decent sushi restaurant. Other rolls that sounded appetizing on the menu were mostly filled with overcooked and oily tempura crumbs :barf: :barf: The only thing nice I can say about the place is that it looks nice.

89coupe
04-07-2009, 08:05 PM
Tried out Sushi Club a few days ago with the girlfriend. Bill ~$150; It was good, but nothing too special. The fish however is one of the freshest we had. Sockeye salmon was fresh for them that day or so they said, and it was melt in your mouth. so was the red tuna. The rolls ARE small, but they have a lot of flavor to them. Compared to El's Fusion, I'd take El's anyday. We frequent El's often and even booked the place for a party there. Great roll selection and flavor.

Sushi Club: Very Fresh! More on the pricey side but definitely not the best place in town for sushi IMO. Smaller portions too.

LOL, so Very Fresh, doesn't equate to very good?

So where in your opinion is the best place in town for sushi?

npham
04-07-2009, 09:02 PM
Has anyone tried Oshima like I did in March? They just opened within the last month I think, but there was some very good value to be had at this restaurant.

The portions were quite generous, and the fish was really fresh the day that we were there. The prices however were really good for the quantity and quality of fish you got. Toro was only $2.55 per piece, how could you go wrong?

Rolls were pretty terrible and over-priced, so stay away and just order more sushi pieces. I would not hesitate to go back there and order 10 pieces of Toro and be quite happy.

jdmXSI
04-08-2009, 12:14 AM
I'm surprised the limited amount of times momoyama was mentioned... The fish was some of the freshest I've had, the beef tataki was quite impresve for the qaniltity and was rather tasteful! For a main course I had the salmon teryaki which was mediocor but the fish was the main point for me. Next time I go back m going to order the assorted sashimi for sure! The tuna, octopus and tuna were quite tasty!

Disoblige
04-08-2009, 12:21 PM

LOL, so Very Fresh, doesn't equate to very good?

So where in your opinion is the best place in town for sushi?

Very fresh and very good yes. But like any reviewer, price/value has to be considered. Portion size is smaller, whereas at other places such as El's (or Towa) I can get a larger piece of sushi/sashimi of exceptional quality for equal or less price. If you read my next post a little bit down, I enjoy El's the most. The overall selection at El's (appetizers, sushi, rolls, and tempura) makes it my #1 choice and probably one of the best in Calgary. The hint of korean fusion into the rolls makes it amazing.

blinkme_210
04-08-2009, 11:12 PM
Originally posted by jdmXSI
I'm surprised the limited amount of times momoyama was mentioned... The fish was some of the freshest I've had, the beef tataki was quite impresve for the qaniltity and was rather tasteful! For a main course I had the salmon teryaki which was mediocor but the fish was the main point for me. Next time I go back m going to order the assorted sashimi for sure! The tuna, octopus and tuna were quite tasty!

You couldn't pay me to go back and eat at Momoyama. I'm pretty sure that the Chinese owner doesn't have any real sushi training at all. The rolls he makes are too big, and it doesn't stay together at all. My wife and I ordered the spider roll, but when it came, it looked like they had deep fried a rat and rolled it up in rice. I'm not sure if he knows that he's suppose to use small soft shell crab for spider roll, NOT regular fish tank crab you buy at T&T.

What first drew me to Momoyama was the beef tataki, as recommended by my friend. Sadly the massive pile of thin sliced beef and onion is just that, no taste whatsoever.

If you want to try amazing beef tataki, try Ichiban in Edmonton. Only downside is that the portion is quite small.

clem24
04-13-2009, 01:32 PM
What first drew me to Momoyama was the beef tataki, as recommended by my friend. Sadly the massive pile of thin sliced beef and onion is just that, no taste whatsoever.

Well, if you've ever eaten a thin slice of beef on it's own, you'll notice it tastes like nothing. They usually have to drench it ponzu and grated daikon to give it the taste. But I do love beef tataki. :drool:

Don't know if I'd trust a Chinese guy preparing raw beef. Who knows if it's even beef... :nut:

Interestingly I've heard mostly good things about Momoyama, but my guess is that it's mostly from the white crowd/casual sushi'ers.. I've been by and peeked through the window, and the place sure looks like a complete shit hole...

pinoyhero
04-13-2009, 02:43 PM
Changes for me as I explore new places but my top in order are:

1. Zipang
2. El's
3(tie). Globe/Sushi Club

blinkme_210
04-13-2009, 10:44 PM
Originally posted by clem24

Well, if you've ever eaten a thin slice of beef on it's own, you'll notice it tastes like nothing. They usually have to drench it ponzu and grated daikon to give it the taste. But I do love beef tataki. :drool:

Don't know if I'd trust a Chinese guy preparing raw beef. Who knows if it's even beef... :nut:

Interestingly I've heard mostly good things about Momoyama, but my guess is that it's mostly from the white crowd/casual sushi'ers.. I've been by and peeked through the window, and the place sure looks like a complete shit hole...

Bleh, my bad, I have horrible writing comprehension skills.

Yes the beef tasted like beef, hardly any taste etc. What I really meant was that the ponzu sauce was pretty much flavourless. I was expecting a more ponzu taste than beef water.

clem24
04-13-2009, 10:50 PM
I was expecting a more ponzu taste than beef water.

Well........ If it IS run by real Chinese people, then it's likely very watered down ponzu. They can probably get like 5 bottles for the price of 1.

STi403
04-14-2009, 02:59 AM
Sushi Boat in crowfoot is #1 on my list.. the best by far

pinoyhero
04-14-2009, 06:48 AM

Went to many Sushi joints in town, and I'd have to say:

Towa: Delicious rolls (very large) and large portions of fish or eel for sushi. We love the Tempura Ice Cream there. Sometimes we go there because we know they have that great dessert.

El's Fusion: Terrific roll selection and rolls (even small) pack great flavor. Tempura portions are also large and delicious.

Globefish: Average for both taste and portion. Nothing special.

Gunkan: They have sushi pizza which tastes OKAY. Presentation is horrible, but their spicy sauce on spicy tuna rolls taste amazing. Everything else average. Only memorable thing was the spicy sauce.

Misato: One of the first places I've been to for quality sushi. Terrific place lunch or dinner. All Japanese too.

Sumo 10: Obviously on 10th Ave, the all you can eat sushi/sashimi is a great place is you feel like indulging. Quality way better than if you would go to Sushi Tokyo or Ichiban which is garbage. Not saying Sumo 10 is GREAT quality, but it's decent if you're looking for All you can eat.

Wa's: Great for lunch. Fresh water eel was melt in your mouth. Never actually tried it for dinner but will soon.

Other places don't stand out much for me.

Nice little write up, I agree with most ... give Zipang a try, I love it and their tempura banana desert is worth going for alone.

blinkme_210
04-14-2009, 12:07 PM

Well........ If it IS run by real Chinese people, then it's likely very watered down ponzu. They can probably get like 5 bottles for the price of 1.

They are definitely Chinese. The owner lady (presuming) was conversing with my wife and I in Cantonese when we were paying the bill.

sexualbanana
04-15-2009, 03:09 AM
Originally posted by LongCity

Ginza, I believe it's called. Been there once and it wasn't too bad. I wanted to sit in one of those private booth things though. hah

Sushi Ginza is the one in Willow Park. Ginza is the one in Chinook Centre. I made that mistake once.

I ordered a love boat for take out from Sushi Ginza awhile back. The price caught me a little off guard. I ordered it by phone on the way home, without looking at a menu, expecting the price to be on average with most of the other places (~$32-37). To my surprise, it was $54 when I got there. Since I really had no one to blame for myself (and because it would be a dick move to say no at this point).

Despite being pricey, I was quite happy with the sushi, and the sashimi pieces were HUGE.

azn_gq
04-27-2009, 12:56 AM
Definitely gotta try the new Sukiyaki House! has come a long way from the old place!

clem24
04-27-2009, 11:24 AM
Originally posted by azn_gq
Definitely gotta try the new Sukiyaki House! has come a long way from the old place!

Why, do you work there? :dunno:

nonlinear
04-27-2009, 12:32 PM

Why, do you work there? :dunno:

s/he totally works there. do a search for the user name. only a few posts, and every one is about the sukiyaki house. a picture thread that was closed by the mods, a statement about the chef from blowfish moving there, etc.

i'm not really a fan of shameless advertising, but i really hate it when business owners pretend to be a customer and go on forums talking about how great their place is :rolleyes:

it's funny because good restaurants generate their own positive word of mouth, so when you see an owner on a forum pretending to be a customer, that's a really bad sign.

rage2
04-27-2009, 12:38 PM
Originally posted by nonlinear
it's funny because good restaurants generate their own positive word of mouth, so when you see an owner on a forum pretending to be a customer, that's a really bad sign.
Bad sign or not, I went to Sukiyaki House on Friday night, it was fucking good. I'll be writing a full review shortly.

Too bad they don't have Sukiyaki yet, sushi was amazing.

vtec4life
04-27-2009, 12:59 PM
Originally posted by nonlinear

s/he totally works there. do a search for the user name. only a few posts, and every one is about the sukiyaki house. a picture thread that was closed by the mods, a statement about the chef from blowfish moving there, etc.

i'm not really a fan of shameless advertising, but i really hate it when business owners pretend to be a customer and go on forums talking about how great their place is :rolleyes:

Hey I do have to say that I do work there as a part time server (not an owner) and marketer. We haven't had any advertising done or had our grand opening, so we are relying on word of mouth advertising. I haven't, in any way "pretened" to be a customer. Although I do work there (at the old place and the new), it has come a very long way from the old location. I find myself there eating there every week. As a customers perspective, and a crazy sushi fanatic, their food is overall VERY good. I'd be saying the exact same thing weather I work there or not. :)

vtec4life
04-27-2009, 01:03 PM

They are definitely Chinese. The owner lady (presuming) was conversing with my wife and I in Cantonese when we were paying the bill.

The owner and sushi chef is Korean. That chinese lady working there is the only chinese one there. Everyone else is Korean there. I do eat there every once in a while as its close to my place and its hella cheap for what you get. Definately a good somewhat "fast food" sushi place. Don't reccommend the tofu salad though.

nonlinear
04-27-2009, 01:30 PM
^^uhh, dude, we were referring to azn_gq. but this is funny, cause now we know there are 2 of you engaging in this self-promotion. i'm not saying the food or restaurant is bad, just the deceitful methods of advertising.