PDA

View Full Version : Help Me! Is this a Hit and Run?

Fendral
03-11-2009, 08:34 AM
Okay, I am extremely freaked out right now!

Story:
I just got my full license about 2 months ago. I have been driving an Automatic transmission for more of my licensing process although my dad owns a Manual transmission car and encourages me to drive it.

Today, I was late and decided to use the spare car (the manual) to get to school. I was doing okay until about half way there when I started getting nervous and I kept stalling. I stopped at a light and at the last second I decided I was going to get off the main roads and take it slow on the side streets when just as I started moving a bicyclist ran right into the side of my car. I pulled over and stayed in my car while freaking out. He got up and seemed relatively okay and I waved to him to see if he needed me and he waved back in a motion gesturing me that he was fine and I should just go. It was a busy street so I didn't want to abandon my car or doing something else bad so I motioned him to wait. I drove off and around the corner to park and catch up with him and I saw him limping off with his bike. I drove around the next block to intercept him, but I couldn't find him again.

tl:dr Version:
Drove to school in a manual, got rattled while driving from a few stalls, decided to turn at the last minute, hit a biker, stopped to see if he was okay but didn't get out of car and upon a gesture from the victim, I drove off.

1) Is this a Hit and Run?
2) What should I do?
3) Should I tell my parents?

Please help. I am so rattled and unfamiliar with this kind of thing.

PatrickSponge
03-11-2009, 08:36 AM
When you get caught, you will go to jail. I would tell your parents before the police does.

scat19
03-11-2009, 08:41 AM
Lesson 1) NEVER drive a car you are not 100% in control with. I absolutely hate seeing manual drivers not knowing what the hell they are doing. This includes downshifting. People just stick it in neutral and coast to a stop, so dangerous if you need to quickly get going. Learn to rev-match, heel-toe, whatever. Also, if you roll back on a hill in England, you will fail your license. People that stare you down, or passengers that stare you down, because the think you are too close to their rear bumper, piss me off. Then you realise why, as they roll back 100ft to get moving up a hill. Only on really steep hills do I need to use my handbrake, a quick, smooth transistion with no more than 1" on roll is easy to do.

Lesson 2) Accidents. Always find a witness, and never leave a scene with injury. However, if he waved you off, he is ok? So you should be fine.

Lesson 3) Tell your parents everything, just like you told us. Don't hide anything. Hell, I moved out 3 years ago, if I were to get into an accident, or something, I would inform people close to me just to get advise and whatnot.

In this case, I really think you are fine. And yes, I had a small rant about incompetent manual drivers.

Fendral
03-11-2009, 08:42 AM
Originally posted by PatrickSponge
When you get caught, you will go to jail. I would tell your parents before the police does.
Even if I am under 18?

badatusrnames
03-11-2009, 08:43 AM

:werd: The cyclist was likely in shock from the collision and suffering from a concussion. He likely took off out of confusion. When he ends up in the hospital (and he will) there will be questions that will need to be answered to the authorities.

You should surrender yourself ASAP at the nearest police station. The judge will take this as a sign of responsibility and be lenient when he sentences you. If you wait and let the police come kicking down your door, it won't be pretty for you.

Your parents will likely have to post bond for you while you are awaiting trial.

funkedelic2
03-11-2009, 08:43 AM
Yes absoutely. You are totally going to jail. I would learn the basic rules of survival now before you go in. Beyond won't be there to help you when that happens. Sorry to hear about all this, best of luck to you.

scat19
03-11-2009, 08:44 AM
Originally posted by badatusrnames

:werd: The cyclist was likely in shock from the collision and suffering from a concussion. He likely took off out of confusion. When he ends up in the hospital (and he will) there will be questions that will need to be answered to the authorities.

You should surrender yourself ASAP at the nearest police station. The judge will take this as a sign of responsibility and be lenient when he sentences you.

What the fuck are you guys talkig about? If the cyclist waved him off, he's not suffering from anything. If he is lying motionless on the road, and you drive off, then you're in trouble.

GQBalla
03-11-2009, 08:48 AM
wow you need to calm down hardcore ^^

he was stating that he suffered a concussion.

when i had a concussion right after i thought i was fine, but the next day i wasn't.

I can see why the cyclist waved him off thinking he was fine. You don't think straight when shit happens like that

badatusrnames
03-11-2009, 08:52 AM
Originally posted by GQBalla

when i had a concussion right after i thought i was fine, but the next day i wasn't.

I can see why the cyclist waved him off thinking he was fine. You don't think straight when shit happens like that

Exactly. Since he couldn't track the guy down, he should have called the police and EMS to initiate a search for the wounded cyclist ASAP. There was also a good chance he could have internal injuries and bleeding. If that's the case he definitely would've been out of it. My brother tore his kidney, he told everyone he was fine until an hour later he vomited, starting shivering and turned white as a sheet (and he's brown), he was rushed to the hospital immediately. He had gone into shock.

I can only think of the laundry list of charges: Driving with undue care and attention causing bodily harm, fleeing the scene of a motor vehicle accident, fleeing the scene of a crime, depending on how badly injured the driver is, and how the judge feels, they can throw in an assault charge if they think it's going to stick.

Fendral
03-11-2009, 08:53 AM
Originally posted by scat19
Lesson 1) NEVER drive a car you are not 100% in control with. I absolutely hate seeing manual drivers not knowing what the hell they are doing. This includes downshifting. People just stick it in neutral and coast to a stop, so dangerous if you need to quickly get going. Learn to rev-match, heel-toe, whatever. Also, if you roll back on a hill in England, you will fail your license. People that stare you down, or passengers that stare you down, because the think you are too close to their rear bumper, piss me off. Then you realise why, as they roll back 100ft to get moving up a hill. Only on really steep hills do I need to use my handbrake, a quick, smooth transistion with no more than 1" on roll is easy to do.

Lesson 2) Accidents. Always find a witness, and never leave a scene with injury. However, if he waved you off, he is ok? So you should be fine.

Lesson 3) Tell your parents everything, just like you told us. Don't hide anything. Hell, I moved out 3 years ago, if I were to get into an accident, or something, I would inform people close to me just to get advise and whatnot.

In this case, I really think you are fine. And yes, I had a small rant about incompetent manual drivers.
1) Yea I already yelled at myself for that. I figured I would get some miles under my belt driving to school and it wouldn't be a big deal, but I know I shouldn't have doing that.

From now on I will just learn how to drive it in empty parking lots until I am 100% confident and in control

2) There was one guy who started to try to help out the victim (who waved off the other guy too) and he sorta just stood there looking at my waiting for me. I wasn't sure what to do so I went up the street to park, but as I was leaving I saw the victim walking off with his bike, he wasn't "limping" but more of just a slow walk, like he was winded or rattled, and I doubt he had a concussion because a) he had a helmet and b) my car is low and his body is what hit the most. And yes he most definitely waved me off. It was a very clear motion.

3) Okay I plan to. My dad is a corporate lawyer but I am sure he will be able to help me out with resolving this, hopefully I don't go to jail, but ignorance isn't an excuse I guess.

Originally posted by badatusrnames

Exactly. Since he couldn't track the guy down, he should have called the police and EMS to initiate a search for the wounded cyclist ASAP. There was also a good chance he could have internal injuries and bleeding. If that's the case he definitely would've been out of it. My brother tore his kidney, he told everyone he was fine until an hour later he vomited, starting shivering and turned white as a sheet (and he's brown), he was rushed to the hospital immediately. He had gone into shock.

I can only think of the laundry list of charges: Driving with undue care and attention causing bodily harm, fleeing the scene of a motor vehicle accident, fleeing the scene of a crime, depending on how badly injured the driver is, and how the judge feels, they can throw in an assault charge if they think it's going to stick.
Okay I realize now what I should have done and I will obviously follow through if I do anything this stupid again, but what can I do now? I don't want to get in shit because of this, but I also don't want that guy to be injured or anything like that.

PatrickSponge
03-11-2009, 08:58 AM
Well, you'll probably be tried as an adult and serve 5-10 at the most. So if you're 16 now, you'll be 26 when you're cleared. Not that long of a time really. You might even get off early with probation, if you show good manners while in jail.

Redlyne_mr2
03-11-2009, 09:04 AM
You're not going to go to jail lol. Go down to the nearest Police department, file a report with your side of the story. chances are the biker won't be doing anything about the accident but you want to make sure you cover yourself either way.

badatusrnames
03-11-2009, 09:06 AM
Originally posted by Fendral
Okay I realize now what I should have done and I will obviously follow through if I do anything this stupid again, but what can I do now? I don't want to get in shit because of this, but I also don't want that guy to be injured or anything like that.

What can you do now? I told you, turn yourself in, at least if you want some leniency. There are worse things than a short stay in prison - like a long one.

He's likely injured, his confusion and behavior after your struck him show classic signs of a concussion/shock. You certainly don't need to be hit in the head to suffer a concussion. An impact to the body is enough to do it. Ask Eric Lindros.

Well, you'll probably be tried as an adult and serve 5-10 at the most. So if you're 16 now, you'll be 26 when you're cleared. Not that long of a time really. You might even get off early with probation, if you show good manners while in jail.

I'd say 2-5 years. This is Canada.

Isaiah
03-11-2009, 09:07 AM

Chill your bones down big guy. This is Canada, not England, so try and keep it relevant. Do you have a problem leaving a few feet between yourself and the car ahead of you? If a car rolls back when starting at a light, fault goes to the driver in the rear for following to close. If there's someone ahead of you, where are you going to go?

When someone waves you off it's OK? You need to reassess that advice son. As stated, if the cyclist had a concussion, he wasn't in the right state of mind.

Fendral
03-11-2009, 09:09 AM
Okay, I don't know why some of you are taking this as a joke, but scaring me with jailtime has got to stop.

I am going to tell my parents and file a report with the police, hopefully this all blows over.

Thanks for the advice everyone.

hrdkore
03-11-2009, 09:12 AM
no way its not classified as hit and run, if the cyclist said he was fine and since neither of you took any information. You can file a police report, but i don't usually think people do that if the cyclist runs into you...As long as it was your right of way then you're fine.

Phil_McGraw
03-11-2009, 09:13 AM
WTF you guys are nuts scarring a kid with years in prison. Kids obviously scared. And telling him to learn survival? lmao.:(

tjtd00
03-11-2009, 09:13 AM
"just as I started moving a bicyclist ran right into the side of my car. "

So in effect you were going less than 10km/h and he hit the side of your car. Seems as though he was at fault. Depending on his rate of speed, I hardly doubt he is in too rough of shape. Go to the police station, fill out a report. You won't go to jail.

scat19
03-11-2009, 09:14 AM

What? I think you need to think a bit before you post stupid shit that doesn't help anyone.

A guy, that read the original post, stated that he COULD have had a concussion. No one said he did. And from cyclist speed, hitting a motionless object, I doubt you can hurt yourself that much. A dog ran in front of me, I flew off the bike, and I was fine.

And who said it was the OP fault? The biker could have asked for it the way he was riding.

scat19
03-11-2009, 09:17 AM
Originally posted by Isaiah

Chill your bones down big guy. This is Canada, not England, so try and keep it relevant. Do you have a problem leaving a few feet between yourself and the car ahead of you? If a car rolls back when starting at a light, fault goes to the driver in the rear for following to close. If there's someone ahead of you, where are you going to go?

When someone waves you off it's OK? You need to reassess that advice son. As stated, if the cyclist had a concussion, he wasn't in the right state of mind.

Good one on the observation where we live :thumbsup:

I was using an example, and as you obviously missed, I was exagerating everything.

Yeah, if someone waves you off, it's fine. What's wrong with that advice? So when you bump someone with your grocery cart in Superstore, you're going to ask for their phone number and information "just in case"?

:rofl:

em2ab
03-11-2009, 09:22 AM
Where was the biker? Was he driving down the center line between lanes? If so, this thread would make my day.

GQBalla
03-11-2009, 09:26 AM

What? I think you need to think a bit before you post stupid shit that doesn't help anyone.

A guy, that read the original post, stated that he COULD have had a concussion. No one said he did. And from cyclist speed, hitting a motionless object, I doubt you can hurt yourself that much. A dog ran in front of me, I flew off the bike, and I was fine.

And who said it was the OP fault? The biker could have asked for it the way he was riding.

i didn't say OP was at fault.

if you could read i was stating that someone could be confused if they had a concussion.

just because some people don't get hurt easily doesn't mean he didn't have a concussion.
are you medically trained to know that stuff?

i know someone that let her brake go on a slight hill and bumper kissed the car behind her and she now has permenant neck injuries.

Good one on the observation where we live :thumbsup:

I was using an example, and as you obviously missed, I was exagerating everything.

Yeah, if someone waves you off, it's fine. What's wrong with that advice? So when you bump someone with your grocery cart in Superstore, you're going to ask for their phone number and information "just in case"?

and are you serious??? you just compared a car with a grocery cart?

so IMO pull the stick out

PatrickSponge
03-11-2009, 09:28 AM
Did you nudge or kiss the biker? If so, you may have a harrasment suit as well.

5000Audi
03-11-2009, 09:33 AM
Wow. There is no way jail would come from this. It is not a guy and run seeing how you stopped and the rider waved you off. And as you said the biker ran into you so your not at fault. If anything check your car for dents from him and sue his ass. Lol but don't listen to the guys saying you going to jail. Not gonna happen. Biker waved you off and was at fault so you good to go.

Good luck

Cheers mate

R-Audi
03-11-2009, 09:36 AM
You guys are dicks... I got a good laugh about it.. but time to fess up and help the kid out.

If this story is actually what happend.... If the biker hit you.. and waved at you as if to say "Im ok" dont worry about it... dont bother with the Police, and forget about it....

khtm
03-11-2009, 09:41 AM
:rofl: This thread is full of hilarious sarcasm that is over most people's heads.

scat19
03-11-2009, 09:48 AM

i didn't say OP was at fault.
if you could read i was stating that someone could be confused if they had a concussion.
just because some people don't get hurt easily doesn't mean he didn't have a concussion.
are you medically trained to know that stuff?
i know someone that let her brake go on a slight hill and bumper kissed the car behind her and she now has permenant neck injuries.
and are you serious??? you just compared a car with a grocery cart?
so IMO pull the stick out

wow. :banghead:

tom_9109
03-11-2009, 10:03 AM
Chances are the guy on the bike is fine with what happened. Even if he does want to come after you chances are he can't find you because I doubt he got the plate in his stupor. In the case that he does come after you I doubt the police would charge you under the circumstances and then it would just all be on your insurance anyway. Don't let it get you down.

911fever
03-11-2009, 10:32 AM
wow some of you guys are just rude
haha

Eleanor
03-11-2009, 11:33 AM
Originally posted by khtm
:rofl: This thread is full of hilarious sarcasm that is over most people's heads. :werd: :rofl:

Don't believe everything you read on the internet.
Originally posted by Redlyne_mr2
You're not going to go to jail lol. Go down to the nearest Police department, file a report with your side of the story. chances are the biker won't be doing anything about the accident but you want to make sure you cover yourself either way. Do this. You're not going to jail, calm down.

And I don't know WTF scat's talking about :rofl:

scat19
03-11-2009, 11:51 AM
Originally posted by Eleanor
And I don't know WTF scat's talking about :rofl:

I was giving the only non-scarcastic advice :cry:

cyrusli
03-11-2009, 01:03 PM
like what everyone's saying.. don't drive anything you don't have a good handle on.. ie: don't drive manual if you know that you aren't familiar with it.

and not necessarily going to jail, but if the biker goes and gets an accident report, it'll be on your file or if he's smart enough to get your licence plate, then cops may pull you over too.

being under 18 doesn't mean you can get away with anything.. just thought i'd make it clear..just go file a accident report, and like scat19 said, be honest to your parents and in the police statement as you have here.

Fendral
03-11-2009, 01:34 PM
Okay I was a little rattled this morning and wasn't thinking straight so I basically took almost every post seriously.

I guessed that jailtime probably wasn't a possibility, I was more worried about charges, insurance, suing, and obviously the other guys' safety.

1) Thanks everyone who posted an honest comment whether it was correct/incorrect.
2) Fuck all you trolls trying to scare me with jailtime and criminal charges.

I called my dad and he said it wasn't a big deal and that it is over with. At worst he might file a report if he got my plates and perhaps sue me for whiplash or some shit, but it can be easily dealt with because it turns out that he was in the wrong:
1) Light had just changed and I was signaling to turn right, he was ON THE ROAD which means he is considered a vehicle and was trying to PASS me in the same lane which is illegal.
2) I had the right of way to turn
3) He hit me when I was going at a low speed and he was going at a relatively high speed
4) He left the scene of the accident before I did (I was pulled over, he waved me off and started moving away leaving me at the scene alone, I drove off to intercept him at the next block and he was gone).

Thanks again for all your funny troll comments that I can laugh about now that I am not so freaked out.

tom_9109
03-11-2009, 01:41 PM
If he does turn around and sue you will have the onus to prove you are not at fault as he is considered a pedestrian.

Enhance
03-11-2009, 01:45 PM
This thread wins. Well done badatusrnames, well done.

D911
03-11-2009, 02:50 PM
Originally posted by tom_9109
If he does turn around and sue you will have the onus to prove you are not at fault as he is considered a pedestrian.

why in the world would he be considered a pedestrian?
he was on a goddamned bike.

tom_9109
03-11-2009, 02:52 PM
Because as far as insurance is concerned, cyclists are pedestrians. If he sues insurance is involved ergo the cyclist would be treated as a pedestrian.

zipdoa
03-11-2009, 08:54 PM
Originally posted by funkedelic2
Yes absoutely. You are totally going to jail. I would learn the basic rules of survival now before you go in. Beyond won't be there to help you when that happens. Sorry to hear about all this, best of luck to you. :rofl:

natejj
03-11-2009, 09:59 PM
This thread is full of win. And some fail too. But mostly win. And I agree, he wants to ride on the road, he should follow the rules, sounds like it was his fault.

Oh, and the internet is serious business.

sr20s14zenki
03-11-2009, 10:04 PM

Question: Do you ever contribute anything good to a thread, or do you just run your mouth like a 5 year old....

op: forget about it, youll be fine. he probably realized hes a retard for not looking, and did what any MAN should do, took the blame on himself

chkolny541
03-11-2009, 11:04 PM
http://plausibletech.com/delivers.jpg

and scat

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v358/AlexClarke/Starfighter/sarcasm_detector.jpg

you better get yours fixed, or troll the marketplace and see if you can overnight one from japan

ee2k
03-16-2009, 09:12 PM
Now the question is, if you had the right of way, did the cyclist bump into your car and is he liable for any scratches? dun dun dunnnnnnnnn!

scat19
03-17-2009, 07:37 AM
In a more serious situation like this, don't you think a little seriousness is required? Especially when he's freaking out.

Oh well

:drama:

Sil80_D
03-17-2009, 07:55 AM

funkedelic2
03-17-2009, 08:00 AM
In a more serious situation like this, don't you think a little seriousness is required? Especially when he's freaking out.

Oh well

:drama:

NO! hahahaha

Originally posted by Fendral

Fuck all you trolls trying to scare me with jailtime and criminal charges. [/B]

cancer man
03-17-2009, 08:21 AM
Doesn't matter if you got waived off,it's all how the witnesses
perceived it.
You should've taken down names and statements.
If he or a witness have your info and he's sore today,you might not get charged but the insurance company will get bent.