PDA

View Full Version : Check your fucking tire tread and give plenty of time for stopping

Neil4Speed
03-11-2009, 10:22 AM
I got rear ended this morning, granted, it is slippery, but it would have been prevented if the guy who hit me.

A. Gave enough time to stop, most accidents can be prevented by this, however in a small percentage of cases look at point B

B. Get fucking winter tires, or tires with tread, right after I got hit I thought to myself - "I can't wait to go see his tires", sure enough, all-seasons, minimal tread. I can't understand the logic behind not getting winter tires, the net cost is nothing (provided you mount them yourself)

Take care outside, and drive safe.

911fever
03-11-2009, 10:28 AM
ouch bad damage??? that sucks man.

alloroc
03-11-2009, 10:29 AM
Originally posted by Neil4Speed
I got rear ended this morning, granted, it is slippery, but it would have been prevented if the guy who hit me.

A. Gave enough time to stop, most accidents can be prevented by this, however in a small percentage of cases look at point B

B. Get fucking winter tires, or tires with tread, right after I got hit I thought to myself - "I can't wait to go see his tires", sure enough, all-seasons, minimal tread. I can't understand the logic behind not getting winter tires, the net cost is nothing (provided you mount them yourself)

Take care outside, and drive safe.

In this case the net cost of *not* getting winters is the cost of that guy's insurance going up next renewal. I think I'd rather get winters.

scat19
03-11-2009, 10:30 AM
:facepalm:

I leave so much room, and people wonder why I flash when they take up my space cushion.

narou
03-11-2009, 10:33 AM
Originally posted by scat19
:facepalm:

I leave so much room, and people wonder why I flash when they take up my space cushion.

My mom is one of those people! I laugh at her if I go anywhere with her because she yells at every single driver for doing nothing wrong..

Shes one of those people that races to every red light

scat19
03-11-2009, 10:35 AM
Originally posted by narou

My mom is one of those people! I laugh at her if I go anywhere with her because she yells at every single driver for doing nothing wrong..

Shes one of those people that races to every red light

If they indicate, that's fine. It's when they just quickly jump lanes with no warning whatsoever.

In the summer, I'm different.

Xtrema
03-11-2009, 10:44 AM
I got rear ended last year, same issues.

I think we should either:

a) make winter tire a law from nov to apr

b) give people with winter tires discount on insurance

c) add 50% to the insurance rate for every at fault accidents during nov to apr to pay for b)

alloroc
03-11-2009, 10:52 AM
I also think you should be able to disble ABS with a flick of a lever near the steering wheel. I would be able to stop WAY faster in slippery conditions if the ABS didn't keep getting in my way.

PatrickSponge
03-11-2009, 10:58 AM
You shouldn't have stopped so fast. I just hit someone in the rear too, and it was because they were going too slow and not going with the flow of traffic.

Speed up or suffer the consequences. Luckily there was more damage to the other car then mine.

badatusrnames
03-11-2009, 11:01 AM
Originally posted by PatrickSponge
You shouldn't have stopped so fast. I just hit someone in the rear too, and it was because they were going too slow and not going with the flow of traffic.

Speed up or suffer the consequences. Luckily there was more damage to the other car then mine.

:facepalm: No, no, no! That's a BS attitude.

A proper following distance is such that the car in front of you is able to make an emergency full stop and you have proper distance to come to a stop yourself. I should be able to stop as fast as I need to without the fear of someone plowing into me from behind.

Eleanor
03-11-2009, 11:02 AM
^ 100% wrong.

EDIT: In response to Patrick the troll

alloroc
03-11-2009, 11:07 AM

Wow stupid is as stupid does.
Good thing there are hurry up and acceleration cameras at intersections to make sure people don't slow down and get rear ended huh.

Slow down - stop tailgating - look 15-20 seconds ahead - anticipate what drivers in front of you are going to do and you won't be doing stupid things any more.

G-ZUS
03-11-2009, 11:15 AM
Originally posted by alloroc
I also think you should be able to disble ABS with a flick of a lever near the steering wheel. I would be able to stop WAY faster in slippery conditions if the ABS didn't keep getting in my way.

:werd: I noticed that ABS doesnt help me stop faster, if i let go of my brakes and apply them softer i can stop faster

bituerbo
03-11-2009, 11:17 AM
Hey, cool idea, and here's how you can do it:

Parts required:
1) 12v relay rated at the same amps as your ABS fuse.
2) a Fuse lead extender, similar to that shown here (http://press.picotech.com/pr/fr/images/fuse-extension-leads.jpg)

Have the relay switched to your vehicles low-beams, so that while your high-beams are on, power is NOT going to your low-beams which causes ABS to disengage.

Pull your left stalk towards you (something that can be done while keeping both hands on the wheel) and improved stopping power is now within reach. Nyuk nyuk.

topmade
03-11-2009, 11:19 AM

So you were tailgating the slow car? Luckily you're the one that will be paying for all damages.

alloroc
03-11-2009, 11:27 AM
Originally posted by G-ZUS

:werd: I noticed that ABS doesnt help me stop faster, if i let go of my brakes and apply them softer i can stop faster

-especially if there is soft packed snow or ice and there is some rocks or pebbles. Locking up is way faster because you gather up some of the stones and then they dig in much like studs and reduces stopping distance. With uneven surfaces (ice-pavement) the ABS seems to get confused and sometimes reduces the braking force to the wheels on pavement. I would rather be able to apply near full force to the brakes and consequently the wheels that can grip, and let the others slide. With abs you just roll along - scares the crap out of me really. Haveing done some ice racing way back in my early days I can still find the sweet spot without ABS very quickly.

I leave way more following distance now even finding the braking threshold with ABS can take some time.

ercchry
03-11-2009, 11:31 AM

if i ever meet you i WILL rape your asshole with a pineapple

alloroc
03-11-2009, 11:32 AM
Originally posted by bituerbo

Hey, cool idea, and here's how you can do it:

Parts required:
1) 12v relay rated at the same amps as your ABS fuse.
2) a Fuse lead extender, similar to that shown here (http://press.picotech.com/pr/fr/images/fuse-extension-leads.jpg)

Have the relay switched to your vehicles low-beams, so that while your high-beams are on, power is NOT going to your low-beams which causes ABS to disengage.

Pull your left stalk towards you (something that can be done while keeping both hands on the wheel) and improved stopping power is now within reach. Nyuk nyuk.

Not bad, I might do this as soon an my warranty is up. Only I would use the NC contact and connect to my high beams as my car has dual headlights and the low beams are always on.

alloroc
03-11-2009, 11:33 AM
Originally posted by ercchry

if i ever meet you i WILL rape your asshole with a pineapple

That made me laugh.

Thank you.

hampstor
03-11-2009, 11:33 AM
ABS helps you steer out of the way by preventing your brakes from locking up under hard braking - it's not so you can stop in a shorter distance. :facepalm:

alloroc
03-11-2009, 11:35 AM
Originally posted by hampstor
ABS helps you steer out of the way by preventing your brakes from locking up under hard braking - it's not so you can stop in a shorter distance. :facepalm:

On pavement with 90% of drivers it does stop you faster and with better control.

On Ice it just f'ks with you.

n1zm0
03-11-2009, 11:56 AM

lol, were you on the last Canadas worst driver, how the fk do people like you get licenses.

edit: never had ABS in any of my cars, just a good set of pads and SS brake lines for me.

Kennyredline
03-11-2009, 12:05 PM

WOW!! That's one of the dumbest things I've seen on here...I've only ever seen bump-drafting work in a NASCAR race, and even then, it sometimes doesn't work.

PatrickSponge
03-11-2009, 12:15 PM
Originally posted by topmade

So you were tailgating the slow car? Luckily you're the one that will be paying for all damages.

Nope, got off scott free. Guess the driver knew who was in the wrong.

All I have to do is replace my cracked Chrysler wings.

bituerbo
03-11-2009, 12:16 PM

On pavement with 90% of drivers it does stop you faster and with better control.

On Ice it just f'ks with you.

Word.
On Ice it's so overactive that your tires don't have a chance to regain grip between 'pulses' ABS is responsible for.

Even on pavement threshold breaking stops you faster than ABS.

alloroc
03-11-2009, 12:28 PM

Nope, got off scott free. Guess the driver knew who was in the wrong.

All I have to do is replace my cracked Chrysler wings.

Thank God you live more than 3000 km away.
Just make sure you keep it that way Troll.

PatrickSponge
03-11-2009, 12:52 PM

Thank God you live more than 3000 km away.
Just make sure you keep it that way Troll.

I wasn't planning on moving next door to you?

khtm
03-11-2009, 12:58 PM
Why does everything from Onterrible suck so bad?
:dunno:

n1zm0
03-11-2009, 01:00 PM
Because, as a teacher once told me "Didn't you know? Ontario is the center of the universe", it all makes sense now..

I smell troll more than retard tho..

PatrickSponge
03-11-2009, 01:05 PM
Originally posted by n1zm0
Because, as a teacher once told me "Didn't you know? Ontario is the center of the universe", it all makes sense now..

I smell troll more than retard tho..

As a retard once said to me......

"Duhh you too you..."

ekguy
03-11-2009, 01:05 PM
The Legend take the hit??? Please say it didn't.

banned3x
03-11-2009, 01:20 PM

do you even have a license? if so prove it. :bullshit:

Enhance
03-11-2009, 01:37 PM

I'm not going to defend the guy because he sounds like a moron. But, if you're so incapable of driving in the winter that you can't move with the speed of traffic, you are going to cause an accident. I know you feel safe driving 30km on crowchild, but the rest of us don't need an obstacle in the middle of the road moving 50km/h slower than traffic. This wasn't directed at anyone in particular, but i felt he made a valid point, however disguised with retardedness it was.

n1zm0
03-11-2009, 01:45 PM
As a retard once said to me......

"Duhh you too you..."
:confused: wth, are you like 8 y/o?

let me rephrase that, I smell retard more than troll..

Neil4Speed
03-12-2009, 08:18 AM
Originally posted by ekguy
The Legend take the hit??? Please say it didn't.

Unfortunately it did, The bumper is scuffed but no dents etc. I will get it fixed asap.

Thanks for all the input to my rant.

403Gemini
03-12-2009, 11:51 AM
When I went to an appointment once I saw this car trying to make its way up the hill but was just spinning in place, it was two girls in a toyota corolla. After staring in my rear view mirror for about 2 minutes watching 1 of the girls try and push the car out (hey, they were cute ;) you woulda watched too!) I got out and helped push them up a bit. Luckily the guy I was meeting there had his dodge ram and towed them up the road. Honestly, their front tires were BALD, like ZERO tread... isnt that illegal? If it isn't it should be. I told them they should at MINIMUM have their tires rotated because the back ones had a bit of grip, but man it should be mandatory to change your tires every 2-3 years.

atgilchrist
03-12-2009, 12:01 PM
Originally posted by Xtrema
I got rear ended last year, same issues.

I think we should make winter tires a law from nov to apr

Fixed and agreed to 100%.

psycoticclown
03-12-2009, 01:51 PM
Originally posted by 403Gemini
When I went to an appointment once I saw this car trying to make its way up the hill but was just spinning in place, it was two girls in a toyota corolla. After staring in my rear view mirror for about 2 minutes watching 1 of the girls try and push the car out (hey, they were cute ;) you woulda watched too!) I got out and helped push them up a bit. Luckily the guy I was meeting there had his dodge ram and towed them up the road. Honestly, their front tires were BALD, like ZERO tread... isnt that illegal? If it isn't it should be. I told them they should at MINIMUM have their tires rotated because the back ones had a bit of grip, but man it should be mandatory to change your tires every 2-3 years.

:werd: But unfortunately, people are either too cheap, ignorant or couldn't care less if their tires are bald. These are the same people that do their first oil change at 30000 kms too.

SRT10Killer
03-13-2009, 01:23 AM

I really hope this was your attempt at sarcasm, if not then you will be tailgating people for quite some time.

I'm also assuming it's never your fault too

PatrickSponge
03-18-2009, 09:24 AM
well i dunno!