PDA

View Full Version : Opthamologist vs Optometrist?

ExtraSlow
03-11-2009, 03:20 PM
Can anyone tell me the difference between an ophthalmologist and an Optometrist?
I've got some corneal disease, and my previous optometrist has retired. I'm looking for a new Eye doc, and I've been told that an Ophthalmologist may be better able to diagnose and suggest treatment for unusual corneal disease.

Anyone have a recommendation for a Calgary Ophthalmologist?

benyl
03-11-2009, 03:35 PM
Ophthalmologist is an MD (medical doctor). An optometrist is not.

Pacman
03-16-2009, 06:44 AM
You will need a referral to see the ophthalmologist, either from your primary care doctor or an optometrist.

ExtraSlow
03-17-2009, 11:12 AM
Originally posted by Pacman
You will need a referral to see the ophthalmologist, either from your primary care doctor or an optometrist.
Are you sure? I've been told that some opthamologists operate as "primary" eye care doctors, so they don't need referrals.

I'm confused.

Weapon_R
03-17-2009, 11:24 AM
Check out Gimbel Eye Centre. You want an ophthalmologist working on your eye anyday before an optometrist.

You don't need a referral to see an ophthalmologist.

Marsh
03-18-2009, 11:05 PM
Opthalmologists can perform surgery, optometrists can't as far as I know.

ExtraSlow
05-14-2009, 09:04 AM
Just going to bump this and look for additional reccomendations. So far only Gimbel has been mentioned.

Lagerstatten.ca
05-14-2009, 09:10 AM
I had my LASEK eye surgery done at Mitchell Eye Centre (Chinook Mall) and highly recommend him. Very easy going guy to deal with. He's an ophthalmologist. 403.640.2020

mr2mike
05-14-2009, 09:15 AM
I saw a Dr. Ball who was in a professional building in Schouldice. 16th ave, West down the hill from Foothills Hospital. She seemed fine.

But like others have said, I don't think you need to see an Opthalmologist for an eye exam or general eye care only because they have more schooling and can do anything surgery wise for your eyes. That's like getting only a mechanical engineer to work on your car because a mechanic only has the tech diploma from SAIT.

Only if you need something that is out of the norm would I want to see an Opthalmologist. I understand, it's your eyes but an Optometrist is more than capable. If they feel it's something more severe, they could refer you or if you feel like you need someone more qualified, talk to them about it and your options.

ExtraSlow
05-25-2009, 12:51 PM
Yeah, I understand that the Optometrists are fully capable of handling 90% of eye issues. However, I've got something that I feel falls outside of that range. My previous optometrist told me that the only solution was a corneal transplant, and that I'd have to wait until my eyesight deteriorated significantly before I was eligible for that. I'm thinking an opthamologist might be able to offer some other options.
As far as I know, none of the types of laser surgery are applicable to my particular condition. However, i don't know that for a fact.
I don't really want to go to one of the laser surgey clinics, because they have a vested interest in reccomending that type of surgery.

Oz-
05-25-2009, 02:40 PM
Originally posted by ExtraSlow
Yeah, I understand that the Optometrists are fully capable of handling 90% of eye issues. However, I've got something that I feel falls outside of that range. My previous optometrist told me that the only solution was a corneal transplant, and that I'd have to wait until my eyesight deteriorated significantly before I was eligible for that. I'm thinking an opthamologist might be able to offer some other options.
As far as I know, none of the types of laser surgery are applicable to my particular condition. However, i don't know that for a fact.
I don't really want to go to one of the laser surgey clinics, because they have a vested interest in reccomending that type of surgery.

Do you have Keratoconus? (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Keratoconus)

ExtraSlow
05-25-2009, 06:48 PM
Lucky Guess.

Ams
05-26-2009, 10:32 PM
If you are wanting to be seen by an Optho for your cornea you are going to need to see an Optomatrist who can refer you out to see the Optho, Opthos all specialize in diffrent things, when a referral is sent out from an optomatrist you may be seen alot faster then if you where going to try and get an appt with an optho. They are usually about 4-6 weeks behind depending on your refferal and if its an emergancy. Are you wearing Hard contact lenses?

Oz-
05-27-2009, 06:05 AM
Originally posted by ExtraSlow
Lucky Guess.

I have it too and been looking at different alternatives. There have been some new treatments that are starting to come out, but will be waiting a couple more years to see how they pan out.

- Collagen Cross-linking using Riboflavin and UVA exposure to strengthen the cornea surface. This stops the thinning of the cornea progressing into cloudy corneas ready for a transplant. ( I think De Mong is the only Opthomalogist performing this in Calgary)

- Corneal Ring Segment Inserts to help flatten the cornea from the steep peak you currently have. (Unsure if it is being done in Calgary)

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/2/2a/IntacsAfterInsertion.jpg/180px-IntacsAfterInsertion.jpg

Right now I have seen De Mong a few times over the past 5 years and discussed various options. But nothing has surfaced as a viable option long term. We shall see how the two treatments above pan out of the next couple of years.

ExtraSlow
05-27-2009, 07:11 AM
You're probably right, I could be better off starting with an optometrist who'll do the referral.
Anyone recommend an optometrist then? Preferably someone near downtown or in the shallow Northwest.

Ams
05-28-2009, 11:11 PM
Go to Dr Bishop and Assoc there optomarists there are very helpfull there, and can send you out to see an optho

ExtraSlow
12-14-2011, 08:55 PM
Hey Gang, after some digging, I ended up working with the team at Edworthy Vision downtown. They do a lot of the keratoconus work in Calgary.

They have a few options for keratoconus specific contact lenses, some hybrid soft/hard and Scleral lenses. After some assessment visits, and consultation with both Drs. Beaumont and Edworthy, I've got an order in for some Scleral lenses (can't recall the brand name). Based on the improvements during the test fitting, I'm really excited to get these! Should have a further review to post in a couple of weeks, but just thoughts I'd post an update for the rest of the beyonders out there with freakish corneas.

jaysas_63
01-23-2012, 02:59 PM
Originally posted by Weapon_R
You want an ophthalmologist working on your eye anyday before an optometrist.

Pretty ignorant comment.

Ophthalmologists for the most part are specialized in surgery, whether it be retina, cataract, or cornea.

For the OP, somebody who is not a candidate for surgery, due to his best corrected vision not being impaired enough to warrant the procedure. An optometrist is most definitely who he would want to deal with. An optometrist specialized in rigid gas permeable and scleral lenses will understand how to treat, and follow this patient UNTIL he becomes a candidate for surgery, which probably will not be anytime soon (if at all). Most ophthalmologists will not waste time fitting those lenses, and dont have a lot of experiance doing so, and would most likely refer said patient to an optometrist.

At the end of the day, it depends what you need done. there are certain things you want to see an ophthalmologist for, and others an optometrist, each have different skill sets, and knowledge bases which don’t always overlap