PDA

View Full Version : Will power and eating better

calgarys_finest
03-11-2009, 03:22 PM
How do you guys stop yourself from eating shitty foods? i am a very impulsive person and usually end up getting some fast food somewhere when i am hungry. I bought a book on will power but i cant get myself to read it... haha jk anyone got some tips.

A790
03-11-2009, 03:24 PM
Man, it's really easy. I was the same way (in fact, I just drank a class of coke :( ), but then something happened...

I realized I was tired of being fat. Visualize your long term goal, whatever it might be, and determine what you'd have to do to get there. If being healthier in general is the goal, eating right should be easy for you. Instead of McDonalds, go to Subway. Instead of fries, have a salad. Instead of a greasy piece of pizza or burger than a nice lean steak or chicken breast.

Not hard man, you just have to want it.

AE92_TreunoSC
03-11-2009, 03:32 PM
I found myself getting my lunches from safeway rather then driving to a mcdonalds etc..., its nearly turned me around in regards to my junk food consumption at lunch.

Plus a decent roast beef sandwich is so much better then a big mac, and its just as fast to buy.

Hell you can buy an individual fruit while you're at it.

Crymson
03-11-2009, 03:41 PM
EXACTLY what A790 said.

For me, once i started putting real time in at the gym - i just felt like a waste to go have a big greasy lunch. It's not that hard, and after about 3 months, you'll find you can't even stand a glass of coke anymore.

At first, it'll feel like a sacrifice, but combined with results, it turned into a bit of a game for me. Counting calories, and seeing the pounds shed almost daily (down to 204.3 from 240).

However, about once every two weeks or so, i am INSATIABLY hungry -- and i don't try to curb it. I'll eat wendy's and lunch and order a pizza. I don't feel guilty because I know i'd earned.

When things really started to happen for me, it was because a) i quit pop, b) i quit carbs.

I'd have a light breakfast - usually a banana or apple soon after waking up, then granonla bar around 10am. A not great, but not awful lunch - usually a serving of meat - mabey a fast food burger, but with a salad and a water. Usually about an 800 or calorie meal if you don't go crazy. Then another snack right after the gym, mabey another granola bar or a yoghurt around 6 or so, and a big ass bowl of salad and a small serving of pasta for supper.

Also, i didn't necessarily cut out really high calorie foods, i just stopped my self from eating 50% more than i need to. I always leave food on my plate when i go out, and i'll always portion my food in half if i make something hi calorie at home and only touch the second half if i'm starving.

That's my 0.02$, coming from a former fatass.

Swank
03-11-2009, 03:47 PM
Originally posted by AE92_TreunoSC
I found myself getting my lunches from safeway rather then driving to a mcdonalds etc..., its nearly turned me around in regards to my junk food consumption at lunch.

Plus a decent roast beef sandwich is so much better then a big mac, and its just as fast to buy.

Hell you can buy an individual fruit while you're at it.
+1

Most fast food places also offer low fat alternatives, but the selection is pretty limited. Avoiding the deep fried stuff helps a lot, and skip the cheese and mayo.

98brg2d
03-11-2009, 04:52 PM
If will power doesn't work use routine. Everybody will have a craving at some point but if it is outside your routine it will be easy to avoid temptation.

Lex350
03-11-2009, 05:04 PM
Alll good suggestions. I would also add to start eating smaller meals/snacks 5 to 6 times a day. It feels weird at first but after a week you adjust to it.you don't feel hungry like when you wait long times between meals and you will be more likely to eat better.

Redlined_8000
03-11-2009, 05:21 PM
keep junk food outta the house, just dont buy it. Buy lotta clean food, meats, veggies, fruit, nuts, some grains... and prepare your own meals every day - cooking is fun.

calgarys_finest
03-11-2009, 08:59 PM
Awesome help guys. I started about 4 weeks ago by just cutting pop and 2 weeks ago by eating better but i found that alot harder. I am down from 252 to 241 slowly ill drop down to my first goal of 210.

Jonel
03-11-2009, 09:49 PM
Utter disgust for myself to be so fat, that alone is enough motivation is enough for me to eat shitty food. Also don't restrict yourself of anything, moderation even in moderation.

r0g3r
03-11-2009, 10:24 PM
just eat unprocessed food, no need to count calories.... cause your body pretty much breaks it down to completion and utilizes it more efficiently.

nobody ever got obese from eating whole foods. (unless your overloading on fruits, even then its better than drinking juice alone, our blood sugar doesnt jump as high due to the fiber.)