PDA

View Full Version : A/C is broken

IHaveABrokenCar
08-16-2002, 11:06 PM
While the A/C was running in our 2001 Mercury Sable, my daughter turned up the temperature to 90 degrees. When I turned it back down, it continued to put out hot air. Prior to that, it was working fine. I have turned the engine and A/C off and on and have attempted to readjust the temperature. It continues to put out hot air. Any ideas as to what I could do to fix it?

5.9 R/T
08-17-2002, 01:00 PM
Check: The fuse and belt. If not that then take it in to get serviced, sounds like the compressor might be shot and will need to be replaced. I don't think it could be coolant since it is a 2001 model and unless you live in arizona and drive your car 4 hours everyday with the AC on fullblast i don't think you would run out of coolant.

IHaveABrokenCar
08-17-2002, 03:43 PM
The fuse is fine. I don't think it's the felt either (they were all spinning). The car IS driven about 4 hours with the A/C on, but not at full blast. Plus, I live in Missouri.

Thanks!

RiceCake
08-20-2002, 10:54 AM
hmm... check behind the pannel perhaps... my old camry once had the cable slip off for the temp control... :dunno:

My friend's got an 89 accord that has the same problem.. gotta see if its a possible loose cable too :)

Pimpingacura
08-22-2002, 12:55 PM
Well if the control is broken and won't go back to cool then that is all it is. MY car the control goes to cool but doesn't move the neccasary parts. I now check the possition of the cables and it usually has to be manually adjusted but boy is it a pain. I would take it in and have the control looked at. That shouldn't make the compressor go just like that. Good luck.