PDA

View Full Version : Need S2000 info.

ecstasy_civic
10-14-2003, 07:26 PM
How driveable are they in winter?
Gas mileage?
Performance?
Size, will someone who is 6' feet in comfortably?
Storage, how many golf clubs and overnight bages can fit in.

Thanks alot.
My mom picked out her xmas present:rofl:

max_boost
10-14-2003, 08:06 PM
Driveable with winter tires
Gas mileage, like any other Honda, depends how you drive
Performance is raw, jekyll and hyde response depending where in the power band you are. Handles amazingly well:D
Will probably not fit someone 6'feet comfortably
Fits two sets of golf clubs

I'm selling one, but I don't think this car is designed for your mom.

Stratus_Power
10-14-2003, 08:09 PM
Originally posted by max_boost
Performance is raw, jekyll and hyde response depending where in the power band you are. Handles amazingly well:D

haha holy shit u selling your s2k already?!

ecstasy_civic
10-14-2003, 08:11 PM

Why not for my mom??
Shes had 2 cobras, 1 Mustang GT and now 1 V6, something newer and better has got to be on the horizon.:dunno:

rage2
10-14-2003, 08:23 PM
Originally posted by ecstasy_civic
Shes had 2 cobras, 1 Mustang GT and now 1 V6, something newer and better has got to be on the horizon.:dunno:
If she's used to driving those TQ machines, she'll be wondering why she paid $40-50k on a car that's gutless... unless she drives the shit outta the car :).

ecstasy_civic
10-14-2003, 08:31 PM
haha, i guess.

Ive never driven an S2000, do they really have that weak of a low end??

I guess were going out this weekend to look at them, ill try and drive one lol.

Thanks guys:thumbsup:

Fiery_Ramen
10-14-2003, 08:32 PM
its a bird, its a plane, its car driving mom!

ecstasy_civic
10-14-2003, 08:36 PM
Originally posted by Fiery_Ramen
its a bird, its a plane, its car driving mom!

:guns:

My mom always has cool cars:rofl: :hitit:

We had a 30th anniversary Camaro SS for about a month, but now she needs a Honda:D

Ben
10-14-2003, 08:55 PM
for driving around town it will be a night and day difference from what shes used to. Hell, I test drove one and my car had more torque...but christ...from 6000+ = Weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee :drool:

Basically...drive it like ya stole it or dont expect anything out of the ordinary.

ecstasy_civic
10-14-2003, 08:59 PM
oh ok lol
thats good for her, shes pretty calm in traffic, but she'll put the boots to it when she gets a chance.

Imagine 13mpg when we had the cobra, so a good indication of how she drove, thats why we have a V6 now lol

max_boost
10-14-2003, 10:00 PM
I hope she doesn't put the boots to it around a corner or in poor road conditions or else she'll see the concrete divider/wall etc. This car is very unforgiving if pushed too far and the driver doesn't know how to handle it.

If they are interested in a used one, they should consider looking at mine. Just a suggestion if they want to save $15K over a brand new one :)

If they intend to purchase a new one, best of luck!

GTS Jeff
10-14-2003, 10:03 PM
ive heard a lot of ppl say that the s2k handles well until its limits are reached, where it suddenly fucks shit up...

RiCE-DaDDy
10-15-2003, 12:22 AM
Originally posted by GTS Jeff
ive heard a lot of ppl say that the s2k handles well until its limits are reached, where it suddenly fucks shit up...

i think all cars are like this :rolleyes:

GTS Jeff
10-15-2003, 09:55 AM
Originally posted by RiCE-DaDDy

i think all cars are like this :rolleyes: actually some cars can be quite predictable when being driven past its limits.

hjr
10-15-2003, 10:02 AM
i was under the impression that the s2000 had pretty terrible milage. i read in a mag a while back it was around 10mpg or so. slighty better than a corvette. But i could be remembering wrong i suppose. But Its definetely something to think about.

RiCE-DaDDy
10-15-2003, 10:45 AM
id say mpg is in the low 20's with mixed driving.

well jeff, i would think that if the car is past its limits then its "out of control" but if its still predictable and controllable then id would say its not past its limits

GTS Jeff
10-15-2003, 10:48 AM
id say mpg is in the low 20's with mixed driving.

well jeff, i would think that if the car is past its limits then its "out of control" but if its still predictable and controllable then id would say its not past its limits when ppl refer to the "limits" of a car, they are talking about the limits of traction, not the limits of control.

hjr
10-15-2003, 10:48 AM
Fuel economy EPA highway (mpg): 26 and EPA city (mpg): 20

disreguard my earlier post. that must have been in race RPM's or something.

Ben
10-15-2003, 10:55 AM
All cars are pigs on fuel when driving hard.

rage2
10-15-2003, 11:02 AM
You just have to know what you're doing. At 7000rpm, there's a LOT of engine braking, so when you let off, it's the equivilant of pulling the e-brake on some cars :).

Imagine doing that in a corner... and you'll see why there's a lot of crashed S2K's in the states by the FnF type drivers.

RiCE-DaDDy
10-15-2003, 01:10 PM
when ppl refer to the "limits" of a car, they are talking about the limits of traction, not the limits of control.

dont control and traction go hand in hand? no traction = no control? :dunno:

if this is right, then yes all cars would be the same when they are past their "limits" as they all are out of control when past their limits (no traction). But i would agree that different cars will behave differently. so i guess a s2000 would "fuck shit up" while a wrx would be predictable when its out of control. hmm thats sounds contradictory...

rage2
10-15-2003, 01:14 PM
No. When you've lost traction, you still have a small window of control which is dependant on tire, suspension design, transmission design, etc. That's why drifting exists.

Also depends on where you've lost traction. Just the front? Just the rear? Both front and rear?

buh_buh
10-15-2003, 01:23 PM
What do you think drifting is? Haven't you seen Initial D fool?:nut: :rofl:

GTS Jeff
10-15-2003, 05:18 PM
Originally posted by rage2

You just have to know what you're doing. At 7000rpm, there's a LOT of engine braking, so when you let off, it's the equivilant of pulling the e-brake on some cars :).

Imagine doing that in a corner... and you'll see why there's a lot of crashed S2K's in the states by the FnF type drivers.

i think there are also a few s2k owners that are used to driving ff hondas, so going to fr is a big jump.

Originally posted by buh_buh
What do you think drifting is? Haven't you seen Initial D fool?:nut: :rofl:

:D :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: my thoughts exactly :rofl: :rofl:

Altezza
10-15-2003, 06:36 PM
Originally posted by ecstasy_civic

My mom always has cool cars:rofl: :hitit:

You'd tap your own mom??? :barf:

RSeXy
10-15-2003, 06:46 PM
Originally posted by Altezza

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :barf:

RiCE-DaDDy
10-15-2003, 07:51 PM
if u can still change how the car performs when drifting then there is still traction, just a lot less.

whatever dumb topic we get the point :D

jeff is a dumb pooface and more than one person agrees with me, acutally 3 that i know of :D :tongue:

silverEL
10-15-2003, 07:51 PM
Owned

Seanith
10-15-2003, 07:58 PM
Originally posted by Altezza

no doubt man thats just wrong :thumbsdow

:angel:

C4S
10-15-2003, 09:47 PM
I hope she doesn't put the boots to it around a corner or in poor road conditions or else she'll see the concrete divider/wall etc. This car is very unforgiving if pushed too far and the driver doesn't know how to handle it.

If they are interested in a used one, they should consider looking at mine. Just a suggestion if they want to save $15K over a brand new one :)

If they intend to purchase a new one, best of luck!

so you will sell it for $ 34 K ? $15 less then new is $ 49K ? that sound very good deal .. kms ?

5.9 R/T
10-15-2003, 10:15 PM
Is the 2.2L out yet?

GTS Jeff
10-16-2003, 12:42 AM
if u can still change how the car performs when drifting then there is still traction, just a lot less.

whatever dumb topic we get the point :D

jeff is a dumb pooface and more than one person agrees with me, acutally 3 that i know of :D :tongue: u are still wrong. traction, used in this context, refers to lateral adhesion, not overall control of the vehicle.

max_boost
10-16-2003, 01:10 AM
2.2L should be coming very soon. A few automotive magazines in the U.S. have already done testing on it. Apparently, 0-60 in 5.5secs! I find that very impressive:D

5.9 R/T
10-16-2003, 09:55 AM
nice, I wonder if there will be any more hp hiding in there since IIRC the hp numbers don't change from the 2 to the 2.2

GTS Jeff
10-16-2003, 11:06 AM
Originally posted by 5.9 R/T
nice, I wonder if there will be any more hp hiding in there since IIRC the hp numbers don't change from the 2 to the 2.2 I'm sure there will be some HP if you sacrafice a bit of lowend :rolleyes:

What's IIRC?

5.9 R/T
10-16-2003, 11:29 AM
I'm sure there will be some HP if you sacrafice a bit of lowend :rolleyes:

What's IIRC?

Not sure wtf you are talking about, the whole point of the displacement increase was to give it a little more low-mid punch, thats why the tq numbers have increased and peak power comes in earlier. I'm merely curious to see if this diplacement increase makes the S a little more tuner friendly.

IIRC = If I recall correctly.

GTS Jeff
10-16-2003, 11:52 AM
Originally posted by 5.9 R/T

Not sure wtf you are talking about, the whole point of the displacement increase was to give it a little more low-mid punch, thats why the tq numbers have increased and peak power comes in earlier. I'm merely curious to see if this diplacement increase makes the S a little more tuner friendly.

IIRC = If I recall correctly. im pointing out, IIRC, that with most engines u can make more topend power by sacrificing lowend torque...

RSeXy
10-17-2003, 04:48 PM
did u end up buying the s2k? i was at village honda yesterday and a 2002 (?) berlina black was being picked up.

E36M3
10-17-2003, 05:01 PM
The new S2000 solves a lot of the torque issues.. the powerband is a lot more conventional, but it no longer revs as high. The redline is brought down quite a bit, but for most people, I would imagine that the driving experience is greatly improved.

Personally, I love the Honda strategy of having a very livable daily driver with a mean streak. I think you'd be nuts to drive one in Calgary though.. not enough nice days.

As for someone 6' tall being comfortable, I doubt it.. I am 5'11 and feel very clausterphobic in the car with the roof up (haven't been in one with the roof down).

RiCE-DaDDy
10-17-2003, 05:25 PM
tall ppl would look dorky with the roof down

Eric Happy Meal
10-17-2003, 07:44 PM
heres one guys experience with an S2000 (http://cgi.gamefaqs.com/boards/genmessage.asp?board=5262&topic=10551190&page=0)

i think theres 2 or 3 sotires in that thread total.

illeagle
10-18-2003, 12:55 PM
kinda hard to see outside with the roof up, it's a pain to get in and out of. Wicked around 8,000rpm

max_boost
10-18-2003, 02:31 PM
I would never want to give up my S2000 unless I seriously have to.....