PDA

View Full Version : Chrysler threatens to leave Canada

kevie88
03-11-2009, 09:38 PM
http://business.theglobeandmail.com/servlet/story/RTGAM.20090311.wchryslerCanada0311/BNStory/Business/home

Goodbye, and good luck with the impending bankruptcy!:whocares:

GQBalla
03-11-2009, 09:42 PM
oh wow. peace out americants

sr20s14zenki
03-11-2009, 09:45 PM
^^^i see what you did there :D

yah, pushy huh, GTFO. The bad thing is, itll cost jobs, but if they go bankrupt, itll cost jobs anyways.

kevie88
03-11-2009, 09:48 PM
Originally posted by sr20s14zenki
^^^i see what you did there :D

yah, pushy huh, GTFO. The bad thing is, itll cost jobs, but if they go bankrupt, itll cost jobs anyways.

That's what I'm thinking. There would probably be some jobs for a good qualified auto worker at Honda or Toyota!

banned3x
03-11-2009, 09:51 PM
thats pretty gay

tomt64
03-11-2009, 09:51 PM
Imo I dont see them even lasting until the end of the year.

sr20s14zenki
03-11-2009, 09:52 PM
Originally posted by kevie88

That's what I'm thinking. There would probably be some jobs for a good qualified auto worker at Honda or Toyota!

Hey....what about Nissan :bigpimp:

sorry, thats the fanboy in me coming out. :whipped:

natejj
03-11-2009, 09:54 PM

Unless Honda or Toyota has car plants in the exact same cities, which they don't, it's not that easy.

It's easy for us to sit back and say "HAHA CYA LOSERS" when our source of income, and the food on our tables is not affected...

kevie88
03-11-2009, 10:03 PM
Originally posted by natejj

Unless Honda or Toyota has car plants in the exact same cities, which they don't, it's not that easy.

It's easy for us to sit back and say "HAHA CYA LOSERS" when our source of income, and the food on our tables is not affected...

Agreed, but you will go where you have to. If your life's work takes you from Windsor ON to Alliston ON, well, so be it.

I moved to Edmonton ( :barf: ) from Calgary for my wife, so I'm living proof you can move if something is important enough to you! haha

Altho I suppose I moved back eventually haha

natejj
03-11-2009, 10:28 PM

Agreed, but you will go where you have to. If your life's work takes you from Windsor ON to Alliston ON, well, so be it.

I moved to Edmonton ( :barf: ) from Calgary for my wife, so I'm living proof you can move if something is important enough to you! haha

Altho I suppose I moved back eventually haha

Yeah, if they do lose their jobs, I doubt a single one of them will be on the street with hat in hand... they will all survive. That's life.

Tik-Tok
03-11-2009, 10:31 PM
Originally posted by natejj

Sure is....

HAHAHA c'ya losers! (seriously, I feel bad for the average guy who just wanted a well paying job to support his family... BUT, have you ever talked to anyone who works at any of the big 3? They have this self-entitled BS attitude, and most of them think they should be getting paid EVEN MORE to put a wheel on a car, day in day out)

(and this is coming from 2 uncles, who worked for 30 years at GM and Ford, and 3 cousins who left when they realized how retarded most of the union workers were)

narou
03-11-2009, 10:34 PM
good riddens

Redlyne_mr2
03-11-2009, 10:42 PM
That's very typical of Chrysler.. they treated their employees like crap and used to make threats to force people to work harder, looks like they're trying that same strategy on the government.

revelations
03-11-2009, 10:48 PM
Chrysler "aka Cerberus" are not in anywhere near the financial troubel GM is for eg. and are trying to take advantage of the situation in order to cut their own costs and guarantee low interest govt loans (which probably would just go into other investments)..

If you can get away with it, I guess shrewd business acumen might work here - but if not, get out.

chkolny541
03-11-2009, 10:59 PM
The union does not agree with Mr. LaSorda's contention that costs need to come down to $55 an hour from $75, Mr. Lewenza said.

The CAW's position from the beginning of the negotiations between the governments and the companies has been that it will remain competitive with UAW plants in the United States, but would not compare itself against U.S. plants run by Japanese-based auto makers in Alabama, Kentucky, Tennessee and elsewhere.

WOW, they are getting paid 75$ an hour, and they would rather be OUT of a job then go down to 55$ an hour, boo hoo! at 55$ /hour they make 4400$ paychecks (80 hours)! arent honda/toyota workers getting ~25$/hour or so, i like how they want to remain competitive with wages among american plants but refuse to be competitive with japanese plants. Its sad but what ever happened to the good ol capitalist ways, buisnesses fail, its what happens, sure itll hurt for the short term, but these workers will have jobs again within weeks

black13
03-11-2009, 11:02 PM
If the union agrees to reduce wages drastically then I don't mind but if they are still expecting high wages and bail out money then GTFO.

rc2002
03-11-2009, 11:25 PM
Originally posted by narou
good riddens

:rofl:

Originally posted by chkolny541

WOW, they are getting paid 75$ an hour, and they would rather be OUT of a job then go down to 55$ an hour, boo hoo! at 55$ /hour they make 4400$ paychecks (80 hours)!

They are actually not getting paid $75/hr. That's the total compensation divided by the hours worked. It includes all the costs that are going to retired pensioners.

The fat pensions are draining the accounts. I think this is a prime time for Chrysler to be negotiating with the unions to cut them back, but they're coming off as far too arrogant. Who the hell uses blackmail to ask for handouts?

Eleanor
03-12-2009, 07:45 AM
Do you guys really want to be giving more of your tax money to Ontario?

sputnik
03-12-2009, 07:55 AM
Originally posted by sr20s14zenki
Hey....what about Nissan :bigpimp:

Nissan doesn't have any Canadian factories.

adam c
03-12-2009, 08:31 AM
Originally posted by Eleanor
Do you guys really want to be giving more of your tax money to Ontario?

it's not like we have a choice

Stealth22
03-12-2009, 08:40 AM
Goodbye, and good riddance.

Their cars are shit anyways. :rolleyes:

“The bottom line is we needed to be very, very clear – ambiguity doesn't help the process,” the auto executive told reporters after the meeting. “These are things that Chrysler needs … we know they can be addressed. The sooner the better, and we'll be here for a long time once they are addressed.”
Well, I need money too. But I'm not getting free handouts from the government either. Article says he grew up blocks away from Chrysler's Windsor plant, and his dad was the president of the union local there. And now he's blackmailing Canada by threatening to close that plant. What a jackass.

cancer man
03-12-2009, 08:51 AM
Guys the big picture is.
it's cheaper for our country to re-educate these people and dish out U.I.C than bail out that failure of a company.

we need a chrysler fail pic.

TorqueDog
03-12-2009, 09:50 AM
Much like how horrible of an idea it was to bail out major banks and finance companies in the United States, it's a piss poor strategy to throw money at Chrysler/GM/whoever and expect it to fix everything.

Come to an agreement with the union, present a business plan that demonstrates an ability to be economically viable, and then we'll talk about giving you a bailout loan.

Eleanor
03-12-2009, 09:56 AM
Originally posted by TorqueDog
Come to an agreement with the union, present a business plan that demonstrates an ability to be economically viable, and then we'll talk about giving you a bailout loan. They are talking with the CAW. GM's already got a deal with them and Chrysler's looking for a better one than the one GM got.

ExtraSlow
03-12-2009, 10:08 AM
Chrysler is making the worst cars of any global automaker.

Shit, if this "economic tsunami" can't kill off that weak gazelle, then what the hell was all this pain for?

rumeo
03-12-2009, 10:15 AM
How many people does Chrysler employ in Canada?

Eleanor
03-12-2009, 10:20 AM
^ I think they're at about 10k

rumeo
03-12-2009, 10:20 AM
damn 10,000 people possibly losing their job is huge...i don't think the govt will let them walk

canuckcarguy
03-12-2009, 10:25 AM
It would suck if they left, they're well aware that this is a disastrous time to put 10,000 people out of work. Of course, it's a virtual certainty that Chrysler sales in Canada will plummet, and Chrysler will have to decide if that's beneficial in the long term.

You've got to think that even this threat will lower sales for them here.

On the other hand, this decision would help US sales, it would make them seem like heroes in America, it would cut their costs, and might provide some benefit. Plus, as a bonus it's consistent with Obama's protectionist attitude.

Eleanor
03-12-2009, 10:49 AM
Originally posted by canuckcarguy
it's a virtual certainty that Chrysler sales in Canada will plummet http://forums.beyond.ca/st/255044/canadian-sales-for-february-chrysler-on-top/

:dunno:

Canmorite
03-12-2009, 06:00 PM
Pssst, Chrysler...You're not in any position to negotiate right now.

chkolny541
03-12-2009, 06:05 PM
Originally posted by ExtraSlow
Chrysler is making the worst cars of any global automaker.

Shit, if this "economic tsunami" can't kill off that weak gazelle, then what the hell was all this pain for?

QFT

Redlyne_mr2
03-12-2009, 06:09 PM
http://forums.beyond.ca/st/255044/canadian-sales-for-february-chrysler-on-top/

:dunno:
Very easy to fudge sales numbers, especially when you're doing 2 for 1 deals. We'll see how this months numbers look.

SRT10Killer
03-12-2009, 06:32 PM
LOL, please GTFO,

The only bad part about this is people losing jobs

ryanallan
03-12-2009, 06:33 PM
Wasn't Chrysler forcing their dealers to load up on cars ? They have like an 8 month supply now as Chrysler sells cars when dealers buy them, not customers.

I hope our government stands up for us. This is a pretty low blow move.

bituerbo
03-12-2009, 07:10 PM
If Chrysler shuts down, the factories will still be there. Probably get bought up by another car manufacturer for cheap and continue operating.
They are using scare tactics to milk as much money out of as many governments as they can so they can pad the farewell bonus of execs.

Fuck'em.

rev715
03-12-2009, 07:16 PM
who cares about them
the government shouldn't be spending money on them any ways
its not like there sales are gonna be any better later on..
unless they stop making shitty cars.
i just wish the whole american car industry falls apart, their cars are shamefull

i would rather be working for the toyota or honda, make less and say i at least help make good cars

mark4091
03-12-2009, 10:26 PM
Originally posted by cancer man

we need a chrysler fail pic.
Just post a pic of one of their new cars excluding the SRT's

bituerbo
03-12-2009, 10:42 PM
$2.3B + $500M (CRA owed) = $2.8B Chrysler is asking for.
Divide that into 10,000 employees is $280,000 PER PERSON.

Bailout Chrysler, it'll last 6-12 more months.
Put that money into unemployment insurance, and you'll keep families afloat for another 10 years.

TorqueDog
03-12-2009, 11:51 PM
They are talking with the CAW. GM's already got a deal with them and Chrysler's looking for a better one than the one GM got. Yeah, GM's looking like they might have a chance... might... I hope.

ZorroAMG
03-13-2009, 12:36 AM
I say good riddens too!

Alpine Autowerks
03-13-2009, 06:57 PM
tell Chrysler / Cerberus to go blow a dead goat.

Any company that is named after the 3 headed dog that guards the gates of Hades does not need to be told to go to Hell ... they are already there.

Redlyne_mr2
03-13-2009, 11:44 PM
Their presence at the autoshow this year was rather emberassing.

CMW403
03-14-2009, 01:57 PM
take your intrepids and GTFO

Alpine Autowerks
03-23-2009, 06:54 PM
rethink - if that's how they want to deal with CAW fat bastards. then carry on with your plan.

sputnik
03-24-2009, 06:57 AM
Originally posted by ZorroAMG
I say good riddens too!

not good... GREAT riddens!

em2ab
03-24-2009, 08:51 AM
Who gives a shit, quit making such shitty cars and don't let the door hit you on the way out. These fuckers are asking us for bailout money when they're owned by a multibillion dollar corporation.......:whipped:

Masked Bandit
03-24-2009, 09:02 AM
Originally posted by sputnik

not good... GREAT riddens!

It's "good riddance" eh!

PatrickSponge
03-24-2009, 09:14 AM
for chrying out loud people this is a repost. Here (http://forums.beyond.ca/st/256042/chrysler-threatens-to-leave-canada/) 's the original...

403Gemini
03-24-2009, 09:22 AM
It's really weird, if Chrysler cut some of the cars in their line up and refined the remaining ones they could have done decent. If the 300c and the Crossfire didn't have shitty cheap barbie grade interiors they would actually be nice cars. When my friend had his speed6 in the bodyshop for repairs he had a chrysler 300 as his rental. I actually loved the car... except for the cheapness. Pushing in the plastic lights to turn them on felt like they were going to buckle under my finger. The really poor dash quality was also an eyesore. it looked like just a sheet of plastic from melted down 1980's toys and textured to have bumps on it... although the gauge cluster wasn't awful to stare at. It was roomy and it was comfy...

If they actually took the time like GM did with Buick to build quality vehicles instead of spamming out horseshit models like the compass/patriot/caliber/sebring... they would have done alright.

Seems like any efforts now would obviously be to little too late.

ZorroAMG
03-24-2009, 09:24 AM
Originally posted by Masked Bandit

It's "good riddance" eh!

:facepalm:

PatrickSponge
03-24-2009, 01:21 PM
Originally posted by ZorroAMG

:facepalm:

look at the shitty boxcars in the above sig!

ZorroAMG
03-24-2009, 01:23 PM
:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

chkolny541
03-24-2009, 04:13 PM
let em go already, they got themselves into this situation by having decades of aweful cars, now when people finally realize how shitty they are and wont buy, they need money from the gov't, LET EM GO!

IRGTRMAN
03-24-2009, 07:07 PM
I dont feel bad for the company at all. But the 9,000 people that could lose there job's, This is a sad story.

PremiumRSX
03-24-2009, 07:22 PM
People are losing jobs left right and center, don't see why the people at the plants should have their jobs protected just becaues Chrysler threatened the government.

I think that large sum of money can do good elsewhere other than helping a non-Canadian business survive.