Here is what I am looking at:

Bmw 328i x drive
Infinity g37x
Lexus Is 250 AWD
Lancer Ralliart
Lancer Evo
Audi A3
Subaru WRX

I really do not want to spend much more than $40g’s.
I know most of these are about $45, But I just want opinions.
I am really leaning towards the Ralliart for the price. But I am unsure what Mitsu's Servicing is like. Good or Bad.

I also like to know what servicing is like and past experiences if any of you have any input.

My other Car is an Bmw X3 and I really like the service I get there and the loaner cars are great.

shin0bi
03-13-2009, 11:53 AM
What are you looking to get out of it?
It's a second car right? So is this your winter car, or is this a track toy? Are you looking for something practical, or do you just want to make a statement? Or perhaps you want it for a number of reasons...

These are all important factors to consider when buying a car in that price/performance bracket.

With that out of the way, here are my picks:

-Infinity G37.

Why? Its refined, its fast, its stylish, and its great bang for the buck. You've already got the BMW, so cachet really shouldn't be a factor.
Servicing is pricey, but nowhere near the range of BMW or Benz

-Lancer Evo

Why? Well if you're looking for raw performance, this thing really can't be beat. It'll outperform cars 4 times its price range, using technology insteat of brute force.
Mistubishi offers a pretty impressive warranty plan.

-Audi A3

Why? Well, if you aren't looking for blistering speeds, or mad track-day performance, this car probably offers the most balance in terms of refinement, practicality, efficiency, and style.
They are well built, though I don't know much about their warranty plans or servicing costs.

So again, I must emphasise the question: What do you want out of your next car?

heavyD
03-13-2009, 12:07 PM
My brother has an A3 quattro with DSG and it's very nice. Much more refined than the Ralliart or WRX. The Ralliart offers the most equipment and technology for the money but it can get pricey fully loaded.

The WRX is very fast but the 09 WRX's are having major engine troubles. 33 VIN documented engine failures at NASOIC:
http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1695936

http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1648372

Appears to be bearing related so I would stay clear of any Subaru with the 2.5L turbo (excluding STI) until the problem is sorted out.

The other cars are realistically out of the range you are looking to spend.

irs
03-13-2009, 12:45 PM
I am looking to have the car as my daily comutter to and from work. (mostly)

A car when I go out with the friends, so my wife is not stranded at home with the kids.

Sometimes on the weekends to throw the kids in the back seat and run off somewhere and have fun.

I am willing to go over the 40g mark if it is really worth it.

Heavy D - I am just worried about the servicing at Audi. I have herd that when you have issues they really do not look after you.

Why would you still get the STI?

Looks like you have an Evo. Do you like it?
What is the service like there? Do they treat you good?
Also have you had any issues?

heavyD
03-13-2009, 12:58 PM
Originally posted by irs
I am looking to have the car as my daily comutter to and from work. (mostly)

A car when I go out with the friends, so my wife is not stranded at home with the kids.

Sometimes on the weekends to throw the kids in the back seat and run off somewhere and have fun.

I am willing to go over the 40g mark if it is really worth it.

Heavy D - I am just worried about the servicing at Audi. I have herd that when you have issues they really do not look after you.

Why would you still get the STI?

Looks like you have an Evo. Do you like it?
What is the service like there? Do they treat you good?
Also have you had any issues?

The STI apparently has not been affected by the engine knock issue and that may be due to it having slightly different internals.

My brother hasn't had any problems with his A3 so I can't say if they are good or bad. He has commented that it is expensive to service but that's about it.

I love my EVO but I haven't had it long enough to have any servicing. My wife owned a 2004 Ralliart and now owns a 2007 Outlander but again we never had a single issue with either vehicle so outside of periodic service we haven't have to deal with any issues on our Mitsubishi's.

JordanAndrew
03-13-2009, 01:10 PM
I went and test drove the G37 and it's pretty smooth and very stylish. it's actually fairly spacious both for the driver and passengers. This is also probably on the top of the list you just listed in my opinion.

My next choice would be the IS 250 as the transmission and styling of the car is excellent as well. I got a chance to test drive this vehicle. I love it, interior is nice, fairly soft and luxurious interior. Definitely can't go wrong. Although it doesn't have as much power as a G37, it's still a fun drive.

I haven't had a chance to test drive an A3 but I have driven an A4 and I would assume that it's fairly similar.

I wouldn't want to have an STI or EVO if it was for daily driving. No offense but both cars are stiff and are really built for racing. I'm not hating on these cars, they are awesome and fun cars but just not practical for daily driving. I find that for daily driving, I want something that has more luxury and soft suspension but still have the performance and power. G37 really shines in that category.

If you really want to know what you want, go test drive the cars that you are interested in. After test driving all of them you can usually narrow it down to at least 2 cars and then decide from there. Good luck and have fun with them. I wish I can still afford a G37 but priorities has changed and I'm trying to buy a house. haha!

911fever
03-13-2009, 05:35 PM
G37 for sure. Beauty car.
first choice.

Or you could get a newer G35X?

I'd try to get the 06-07 IS350 if you could afford it, which you should its under 40k.

4doorj
03-13-2009, 10:11 PM
I would go with the evo:drool: :drool:

Aleks
03-13-2009, 11:58 PM
I'd go for the BMW 328xi.

http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/comparison_test/sedans/2007_infiniti_g35_sport_vs_2007_bmw_328i_comparison_test+page-3.html

This is an old article, maybe infiniti improved the engine on the new one?

funkedelic2
03-14-2009, 07:18 AM
Infinity g37x or 335xi :bigpimp:
The evo would be great too though, their all great cars really but the only one i would scratch from that list is the A3

akumajack
03-14-2009, 08:35 AM
I've driven all of them except the Mitsu and the Sub. I could tell you that the Infiniti is the best bang for the buck hands down. But you need to think about this: my friend got a G37 last May and the lease payment was $701/month/48months but now it's over $900/month. If you could pay the vehicle off then get the G37, but otherwise get a used G35. I used to own a G35 and it was such an amazing machine. Just my $.02.

pinoyhero
03-14-2009, 08:37 AM
Are you loking to spend only $45K all in for a new car? If so some of those shouldn't be on your list.

Redlyne_mr2
03-14-2009, 09:28 AM
IS250awd
Pros
Great fit and finish
Great looks
Super reliable
Great Service
Great fuel economy
Great resale

Cons
Not as powerful as competition
Difficult to find used

Isnt the ralliart 1/2 the price of most of the cars on your list? Maybe you should be checking out GTI's, Civics, Corolla if you want to keep it in the ralliart pricing.

911fever
03-14-2009, 09:35 AM
^ get the IS350 over the IS250

doctortalon
03-14-2009, 09:39 AM
i like the is250 but its not a very powerful motor,the WRX starts at $30 995,at 40k you can get into an STI, and if your leasing STIs have the highest residuals.

JordanAndrew
03-14-2009, 09:52 AM
Originally posted by akumajack
I've driven all of them except the Mitsu and the Sub. I could tell you that the Infiniti is the best bang for the buck hands down. But you need to think about this: my friend got a G37 last May and the lease payment was $701/month/48months but now it's over $900/month. If you could pay the vehicle off then get the G37, but otherwise get a used G35. I used to own a G35 and it was such an amazing machine. Just my $.02.

Sorry man but the G35 really isn't that great of a car. I use to love it when I would see one drive by but as soon as I test drove one it almost felt like a truck to me. Call me weird but that's just how it drove in my opinion.

The difference between the drive of a G35 and G37 is night and day. The G37 has a lot smoother transmission, it felt more roomy inside, better interior design, and it actually felt like a coupe versus the "truck" feeling.

Aleks
03-14-2009, 09:54 AM
Originally posted by irs
I am looking at getting a new car.
Need suggestions.
All will be AWD.

Originally posted by 911fever
^ get the IS350 over the IS250

How much does the IS350 AWD cost? Oh wait...

96integra
03-14-2009, 10:01 AM
g37 ...so sexy

911fever
03-14-2009, 10:02 AM
Originally posted by Aleks

How much does the IS350 AWD cost? Oh wait...

The IS350 is around 30k to 35k.
http://toronto.kijiji.ca/c-cars-vehicles-cars-Lexus-2006-Lexus-IS350-W0QQAdIdZ111348223
and I didn't know that they didn't offer an AWD model for the 350.. my mistake.
get the 250 than, if he doesn't like the G37.

rumeo
03-14-2009, 10:45 AM
Originally posted by 96integra
g37 ...so sexy

this

yellowGTS
03-15-2009, 03:47 PM
I agree with Shin0bi, you need to ask yourself what you want out of the car. Do you want power? luxury? sportiness or a reasonable combination of everything in one car.

The list of potential cars can be separated into 2 very distinct categories.

Economy Cars (basic, not as refined, connections to rally heritage)
- Subaru, Mitsubishi are always strongly connected to WRC and other rally events

Luxury Cars (more refined, less inspiring to drive, often better fit and finish)

Also, opinions and feedback given is subjective based on the persons prior experience and personal tastes.

Best thing to do is choose the car YOU feel is right for you.

yellowGTS
03-15-2009, 04:13 PM
Some personal thoughts for each car:

BMW 328xi - great car all around. Has performance, luxury, supple ride and practical with a decent sized back seat and trunk, no service fees for 4 years, not very inspiring styling

Infiniti G37x - Largest of all the cars, powerful, really plush suspension, great for road trips, HUGE trunk and back seat, probably the best fit and finish of all cars, poor resale value

Lexus IS250 - Great styling, Toyota reliability, smallest trunk and back seat of luxury brands, low horsepower, parts sharing with Toyota is quite apparent when viewing dash controls.

Audi A3 - Hatchback, very good fit and finish with excellent materials, solid car, practicality due to extra trunk height, smallish back seat space, and finally VW Group reliability (pro? or con? depends on who you talk to)

Lancer Evo or Ralli art - Economy car, cheaply made, materials are not on same level as luxury cars, use of technology to compensate for shortcomings of car, small car, fun to drive, stiff suspension, auto transmission offers rough shifts

Subaru WRX or STi - Another economy car, excellent AWD system, hatchback, small car, lack of storage, fun to drive, stiff suspension, STi only available in manual, cheap plastics used on centre dash console.

JordanAndrew
03-15-2009, 08:24 PM
Originally posted by yellowGTS
Some personal thoughts for each car:

BMW 328xi - great car all around. Has performance, luxury, supple ride and practical with a decent sized back seat and trunk, no service fees for 4 years, not very inspiring styling

Infiniti G37x - Largest of all the cars, powerful, really plush suspension, great for road trips, HUGE trunk and back seat, probably the best fit and finish of all cars, poor resale value

Lexus IS250 - Great styling, Toyota reliability, smallest trunk and back seat of luxury brands, low horsepower, parts sharing with Toyota is quite apparent when viewing dash controls.

Audi A3 - Hatchback, very good fit and finish with excellent materials, solid car, practicality due to extra trunk height, smallish back seat space, and finally VW Group reliability (pro? or con? depends on who you talk to)

Lancer Evo or Ralli art - Economy car, cheaply made, materials are not on same level as luxury cars, use of technology to compensate for shortcomings of car, small car, fun to drive, stiff suspension, auto transmission offers rough shifts

Subaru WRX or STi - Another economy car, excellent AWD system, hatchback, small car, lack of storage, fun to drive, stiff suspension, STi only available in manual, cheap plastics used on centre dash console.

Just to point out, the G37 coupe is also available in AWD so I wouldn't bother getting the sedan.

redline
03-15-2009, 08:51 PM
Originally posted by Redlyne_mr2
IS250awd
[
Cons
Not as powerful as competition
Difficult to find used

forgot one point.

You got to be a midget to fit in one smallest and most useless for space

irs
03-17-2009, 04:24 PM
So here is the break down to date.

I have go an test drove the Lexus IS 250, Infinity g37x and the Mitsubishi Ralliart and Evolution.

The Lexus was a waste of time. The test drive was short and a waste of time. Car was so slow and had no power to pass anything. The rep I have gotten there is useless ad has no answers if she does not have the book with her. I can read it.

The Infiniti g37x was a great car fun to drive. Great power. Great acceleration. Sales person I have is very informative an kind of pushy. Only thing about the Sedan is that the styling is not sport enough looking. Like how the IS 250 looks better and more sporty. My wife thinks the g37x looks like a Grandpa car. How ever that being said we both love how the coupe looks, but it just is not as convenient to be able to throw the kids in the back.

Now down to the Mitsubishi. We test drove both the Ralliart and the Evo. We first took out the Evo and had a blast with it. Fun car, great acceleration, feels great when driving it. Little rough ride as to be expected. The interior just does not have the details that the Infiniti has and that being said it is understood from two different classes of vehicle. But the same price tag. With the Ralliart it drove very similar to the Evo for rid, fun factor, just lagged a bit when trying to pass.

We have currently nixed the Subaru WRX STI. I understand that it is in the same class as the Mitsubishi, but I am just getting tired of shifting and driving in traffic with a manual transmission. Bring on the Sports shifter. I love the styling of the STI and would highly consider it if I run out of options.

As for the BMW 328i X Drive. I have had the 328i on many of my servicing and have found it to be a great car. A little under powered for the price. Still in the running but a distant 4th.

As for the Audi A3. I use to own a VW and got treated very poorly there and everything I did it was my fault. I am afraid to go back to such a product and have still herd stories that this is still happening to this day. I haven’t taken one for a test drive yet but time will come. Still skeptical.

So far it is down to the Evo and the Infiniti. My biggest thing is I would buy the Evo in a Second but I just can not see around spending 50g’s for a car with out the luxuries. I understand the car as more as a cult car and the following behind it. It is great to have it here and I had way to much fun driving it. Financing has great terms with $1000 dollars off and 0%.

As for the Infiniti it is a great car and fun to drive. Currently I am not a big fan of the styling as a Sedan and would prefer the coupe. But the Coupe is not practicle for me.
Financing is great here as well with $2500 off and 3.3%

Just my 2 cents so far.

Just not total sure to sign a deal with either.

atgilchrist
03-17-2009, 04:38 PM
Just a suggestion...but what about the new Passat CC? It's around the same price as the Evo/Infiniti, has a 280hp v6 with awd, and it looks hawt.

kolumbo69
03-17-2009, 05:56 PM
No sure about the evo but the STI is know economy car 91 octane Min, 94 preffered and it guzzles gas. But I still would prefer the STI for the room.

SCHIDER23
03-17-2009, 06:04 PM
Originally posted by atgilchrist
Just a suggestion...but what about the new Passat CC? It's around the same price as the Evo/Infiniti, has a 280hp v6 with awd, and it looks hawt.

I'm guessing you didn't go to the autoshow, cause if you did you would have noticed the interior was a big dissapointment, it felt really cheap :( ... It's really nice on the outside, but interior wise is bad :(

ruggedboy
03-17-2009, 09:38 PM
Hey I might sell my G35, I got a 2005 6MT G35 298 hp version, 55k, 19 inch rims, Athens Blue.
All I can say is this car is quick, and great value. I believe only 6MT has the sports suspension, so a great car overall.

I actually want to upgrade my vehicle to G37 6MT, if the payments are low, and if I get a good trade in value.

If you are ever interested, let me know.

BigMass
03-17-2009, 09:51 PM
try a new GTI with DSG. Dad has a chipped one with intake and exhaust. It's plenty fast, has enough room, great for city and highway driving. Very versatile. Not to mention, under your budget

irs
03-18-2009, 07:04 AM
I thought the Passat CC is pretty sick as well.
But I have had a really bad experience with Volks Wagon and I will never buy a car from them ever again.

Love the look of there cars and how welll they are built but I hate the service end of it.

My wife is trying to get me to look at the Acura TL.
I not sure about that as well.

atgilchrist
03-18-2009, 08:02 AM
Originally posted by SCHIDER23

I'm guessing you didn't go to the autoshow, cause if you did you would have noticed the interior was a big dissapointment, it felt really cheap :( ... It's really nice on the outside, but interior wise is bad :(

I did miss the show...that sucks, I liked the car.

yellowGTS
03-18-2009, 01:56 PM
The Acura TL is a great car and does have a great balance between sportiness and luxury. ALSO, it is a Honda, so reliability and quality are always there.

Seems you are looking for something sporty however are needing something for the kids. If the rear seat is a priority then the G37 would be the best option, but if you are looking for a commuter car (post #1), then the G37 Coupe would be great since it is a shorter than the sedan with the sports suspension. If you are looking for a street racer or track car, then the Evo or STi are the perfect choice.

BMW is great fun, but has never been the most powerful car when compared to its competition (unless it is an M5 or M6). I am a little biased towards BMW, but I do feel they are a well balanced and capable car for many factors. Maybe a 328xi coupe could have you thinking differently.

scat19
03-18-2009, 02:13 PM
Originally posted by JordanAndrew

Sorry man but the G35 really isn't that great of a car. I use to love it when I would see one drive by but as soon as I test drove one it almost felt like a truck to me. Call me weird but that's just how it drove in my opinion.

I completely agree with you bud. 100%

Used always look at them, wow, nice car.. Drove one - seemed so slow, truck like, I didn't like it AT all.

They're all nice cars, I would opt for the BMW/AUDI.

irs
03-25-2009, 06:53 AM
Thank you to all that have help with any suggestions for a new car.

We decided on Saturday to go and get the Audi A3. Really fun car to drive. I was surprised on how much pep it had for only being 200hp. I opted for the 2.0T model. So down the road I can chip and do some modes to it.
Driving it with the dsg is awesome, super fast shifting!

I decided to suckup my bitterness towards the VW francise and give them a second chance. Just because I love the car so much.

I get to pick up the car tonight. I will have to post some pic's.

Now I have to look for summer rims. Bolt patter 5X112 offset -53.

Thanks once again.

heavyD
03-25-2009, 07:15 AM
Good choice. The A3 is a nice car.

Aleks
03-25-2009, 07:33 AM
Originally posted by irs
Thank you to all that have help with any suggestions for a new car.

We decided on Saturday to go and get the Audi A3. Really fun car to drive. I was surprised on how much pep it had for only being 200hp. I opted for the 2.0T model. So down the road I can chip and do some modes to it.
Driving it with the dsg is awesome, super fast shifting!

I decided to suckup my bitterness towards the VW francise and give them a second chance. Just because I love the car so much.

I get to pick up the car tonight. I will have to post some pic's.

Now I have to look for summer rims. Bolt patter 5X112 offset -53.

Thanks once again.

Does the A3 get the new 2.0T with 258tq or is it still the older version?
Either way it's an awsome little motor.

irs
03-25-2009, 08:12 AM
As far as I know it is still the old version with 207tq.
But I could be wrong. It is just what I read.

dyummy
03-25-2009, 08:20 AM
i have an 09 a3 quattro 2.0T and i love it for the money you arent gettign as much as car as you would with the competition but for a daily driver its awesome so far ive got about 11 xxx km's on it and have had it serviced once and the dealership (southgate audi edmonton) was pretty good but i do have audi care on it or else that oil change i got done would have costed just under 200 bucks

btw im on my friends acct...

irs
03-25-2009, 08:28 AM
Originally posted by dyummy
i have an 09 a3 quattro 2.0T and i love it for the money you arent gettign as much as car as you would with the competition but for a daily driver its awesome so far ive got about 11 xxx km's on it and have had it serviced once and the dealership (southgate audi edmonton) was pretty good but i do have audi care on it or else that oil change i got done would have costed just under 200 bucks

btw im on my friends acct...

I bought the Audi care package as well.
I just hope it pay's for it self.
It looks like it may with the $200 servicing.
We will have to see.

Have you done any mods?

dyummy
03-25-2009, 01:03 PM
not yet i dont know how sticky they are about the chip which is the first thing i want to do and rims second probably

dyummy
03-25-2009, 01:07 PM
ya i think the audi care is somewhat worth it cause the 50k service will run you close to 800 bucks which is more then the 750 for the service .. what color did you pick up?

irs
03-25-2009, 02:08 PM
I went with Ibis White.

I was talking to the Audi parts and service manager and he said anything that is done through Audi is covered. Chipped and all other mods you look into. They said to wait until the car has about 5000 km on it then do it.

I can't wait to chip it and look at changing the air flow to be a lot like the tts.

Aleks
03-25-2009, 02:16 PM
Originally posted by irs
I went with Ibis White.

I was talking to the Audi parts and service manager and he said anything that is done through Audi is covered. Chipped and all other mods you look into. They said to wait until the car has about 5000 km on it then do it.

I can't wait to chip it and look at changing the air flow to be a lot like the tts.

Go to Concept 1 and get a 6 hour free trial on the APR chip. They put it in for free. It expires after 6 hours of driving time. You will know if you want to buy it or not right away.

240hp 280tq. Wakes the car up very nicely.

R154
03-25-2009, 02:18 PM
Forget concept one, Calgary autoworks is the shop to go to. The Revo flash is phenominal for that motor. And it is cheaper.

irs
03-25-2009, 02:20 PM
If I chip it throughthese other companies it will void my warrenty will it not.

Any insite.

What are the costs?

Mitsu3000gt
03-25-2009, 02:34 PM
Originally posted by Aleks

Does the A3 get the new 2.0T with 258tq or is it still the older version?
Either way it's an awsome little motor.

Only the new A4's get that motor for now I believe.

Mitsu3000gt
03-25-2009, 02:36 PM
Originally posted by irs
If I chip it throughthese other companies it will void my warrenty will it not.

Any insite.

What are the costs?

Yes it will void your warranty if they can tell its been chipped unless the dealer is offering a chip for sale and do the install (Like BMW does on the 3.0 TT motor) and they aren't to my knowledge. You can chip it and disable the chip before warranty work hoping they won't notice, but it isn't advisable. Most are around $650US/1000$ CDN from companies like APR and GIAC.

dyummy
03-25-2009, 02:38 PM
lol beauty i got ibis white as well did you get the LED headlights and what not? ahah nice to know my twin is rolling around in calgary hmm that 6 hour trial would be sweet i wonder if any shop in edmonton would do the same

Aleks
03-25-2009, 02:41 PM
Originally posted by R154
Forget concept one, Calgary autoworks is the shop to go to. The Revo flash is phenominal for that motor. And it is cheaper.

How can it be cheaper than free? :dunno:

Aleks
03-25-2009, 02:43 PM
Originally posted by dyummy
lol beauty i got ibis white as well did you get the LED headlights and what not? ahah nice to know my twin is rolling around in calgary hmm that 6 hour trial would be sweet i wonder if any shop in edmonton would do the same

Try to find an APR dealer in town. I am not sure if Revo does free trials or not. I know their software is cheaper but to switch programs you have to buy an extra peice of hardware. Or at least that's what it was when I looked into it.

APR you can switch programs using your cruise control.

irs
03-25-2009, 03:21 PM
Yes I got the premium package, with the sports and Audio Package.

I can't wait!

I will ahve to look into both options for the chips.
I have never herd of the Revo Flash. I will have to look into it. Have a site?

Aleks
03-25-2009, 03:29 PM
I am sure most of this info applies to the 2.0T in the Audi.

http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=3574940