PDA

View Full Version : New or used for first car?

badwithcars
03-13-2009, 11:33 AM
Hi Guys, I'm from Edmonton Alberta.

And I want to buy a car. This will be my first car. So I have no Idea what I should do.

Should I buy Brand New or Used. What are the benefits and negatives of both?

I may also be able to buy from Adesa. The Car auction Company.
But I'm not sure about thier Financing.

Please help!! I Dont know what to do!!

canuckcarguy
03-13-2009, 11:35 AM
Financing at Adesa?

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

rumeo
03-13-2009, 11:38 AM
Buy used, as cheap as possible. You're gonna bag the shit out of your first car and treat it like shit.

badwithcars
03-13-2009, 11:56 AM
I know an auctioneer at Adesa. So you might be wrong canuckcarguy

canuckcarguy
03-13-2009, 12:03 PM
Originally posted by badwithcars
I know an auctioneer at Adesa. So you might be wrong canuckcarguy

Huh? Unless your auctioneer friend at Adesa is going to lend you money, how on earth do you expect to get financing at a wholesale auction? You may be able to buy a car through somebody there (doubt it will be the auctioneer, they're not allowed to bid), but financing? They're not retailers. It would be like you knew a costco janitor, so thought he could hook you up with furniture there on a "don't pay a cent event". Doesn't work that way.

shin0bi
03-13-2009, 12:16 PM
Originally posted by rumeo
Buy used, as cheap as possible. You're gonna bag the shit out of your first car and treat it like shit.

Not true. If you're like me, and worked your ass off at a shitty job to be able to afford your first car, you're gonna treat it like gold.

If you've got the money saved, get a lightly used car from a dealership. (i.e. lease returns, unsold models from previous years, etc.) That way it's a lot cheaper than brand new, but still potentially under warranty, and still probably in good condition.
Dealerships offer financing plans as well, so you don't need to fork out a big lump sum.
This is the route I went for my first car, and it worked out great for me.

If you are not concerned with riding the bandwagon or being a member of "Civic Nation", then I might suggest that you look for a domestic car first. They tend to depreciate in value a lot quicker than imports, and therefore you can usually find newer cars with lower prices.

(And haters, don't kid yourself. Newer domestics are generally just as good as anything Japan or Europe puts out these days)

Isaiah
03-13-2009, 12:19 PM
Originally posted by shin0bi

(And haters, don't kid yourself. Newer domestics are generally just as good as anything Japan or Europe puts out these days)

(We're not kidding ourselves. You're delusional if you actually believe that)

bituerbo
03-13-2009, 12:41 PM
Originally posted by Isaiah

Haha.
(shit son, I didn't even know the font got this small)

shin0bi
03-13-2009, 01:14 PM
Originally posted by Isaiah

:facepalm:

nbaker00
03-13-2009, 01:40 PM
If you're not a dealer (or curber lol) don't expect to buy from Adesa.
And to everyone questioning, yes Adesa does have a high-risk finance company (AFC) for the less then credit (or cash) worthy dealers/curbers.

Eleanor
03-13-2009, 01:57 PM
Used.

Zero102
03-13-2009, 02:05 PM
New drivers almost always crash their first car (usually pretty badly at that). No point in going new on a car you won't yet know how to properly maintain (and no I don't just mean scheduled maintenance) that will likely get wrecked anyways.

Buy a used car for your first car, preferably low value (sub-$2k) so you can afford to skip collision coverage on your insurance, because it will cost an arm and a leg for you as well.

BigMass
03-13-2009, 02:17 PM
I’ve been looking at used cars lately and let me tell you, people just don’t look after them like they use to. I’ve seen 5 year old models that looked worse than my 1989 BMW. Run down, beat to shit, damaged and not looked after. They looked like they were 30 years old.

People now adays buy new, drive the shit out of the car, and at 140k they sell it to some kid that has a world of hurt infront of them when it comes to repairs and maintenance.

You could buy a $5k used car and dump $2k/year into repairs, or finance something new at a low rate and and have the comfort of a warranty. You probably end up with a better car and save money over the long run if you plan on keeping your car for ~10 years.

PS: It all comes down with how you were taught to drive. I never crashed my first car because my father spent lots of time with me teaching me how to drive under all conditions. Probably a much stricter learning process than Bobby Chow’s McDriving School.

94boosted
03-13-2009, 02:59 PM
Originally posted by rumeo

Definitely not true your first car is your first love (if your a car guy) and even though it might be a piece of shit to others to you it's the greatest thing on 4 wheels.

psycoticclown
03-13-2009, 03:06 PM
Buy slightly used. Look for newer models, 2006 and newer, with low kms (under 30k). Much better deals than new. Most still have warranty. Even 08's are alot cheaper than new, and most will be taken care of, have most of their remaining warranty and have low kms.

01RedDX
03-13-2009, 03:27 PM

black13
03-13-2009, 03:36 PM
Definitely something used. Firstly your learning so taking care of an old car will teach you a lot about how to maintain a car.
Secondly incase you get into an accident, repair costs will be cheaper that is your not getting a rare used car.
Also better to start learning how to handle a 150 hp car before you get something more powerful.

sillysod
03-13-2009, 03:49 PM
i still have my first vehicle I got when I was 16.

it is blocked up and put into storage and still in mint condition.

but if you are asking about new/used you obviously are not really into cars or you would already know what you want. If all you are looking for is transportation, buy used.

get a 2 yr old car with 30,000 - 50,000kms on it for dirt cheap now

suen17
03-13-2009, 06:38 PM
Don't get a new car. Don't forget about the insurance costs for a new car/new driver. You won't want to be paying for only 3rd party on a new car, so even with an insanely high deductible, full coverage insurance will put you upwards of 4000$ a year (assuming you're also a brand new driver <25yo driver). That's a shit ton of money you could put elsewhere.

89s1
03-14-2009, 11:29 AM
+1 for used.

Sorath
03-15-2009, 03:08 AM
first car and ur buying from adessa? tsk tsk

Proboscis
03-15-2009, 04:05 AM
I was stupid, I bought my first car at 19, a real beater. but than I got smart with it. :D Nothing like wrenching on your first ride. Start off with a 1993 Civic hatchback.