PDA

View Full Version : Chinese business practices?

Ekliptix
03-14-2009, 11:44 AM
I'm leaving for Beijing next week to have some business meetings and make presentations. I'll be spending most of my time with a group of 6 people, who I plan to give gifts to at the end of the trip.

My question is, I'm also meeting 2 people at another company, to propose my product to them. The meeting will only take 2 hours. Will it be expected that I give them small gifts as well?

Thanks - Graham

topmade
03-14-2009, 12:09 PM
Why not? Your trying to sell your product so getting them to like you would help. But I forsee some people looking at this as sucking up.

randedge
03-14-2009, 12:20 PM
Originally posted by topmade
But I forsee some people looking at this as sucking up.

Which could be countered by him being a foreigner. Just make sure the gifts are unique to Canada.

TomcoPDR
03-14-2009, 03:05 PM
Originally posted by randedge

Just make sure the gifts are unique to Canada.

I think so too, only small stuff, don't try to be a "baller" (watches, dinner, etc...) since you're not actually in business with them yet.

Also, you might want to google or ask some of the Azn crowd, there are some stuff you can't give as gifts; such as clocks, coffin, etc...

Don't bow to Chinese business ppl, as they are not Japanese.

jdmakkord
03-14-2009, 03:56 PM
Take a couple of bottles of ice wine, distinctly Canadian and very rare in Asia.

anonymous_j
03-14-2009, 05:05 PM
ice wine is a good idea. they're all over that shit in asia

Ekliptix
03-14-2009, 06:34 PM
I''ll see if I can bring some. I was planning on to get various photo books of Canadian landscapes, canadian culture photos.

Phihalo
03-14-2009, 06:54 PM
I'd say depends on what kind of company they are, as sometimes receiving/giving gifts are prohibited by company's compliance policy. For the bank that I work in, we can't accept anything that is over 50 EUR. So be careful on that as well :)

kirberman
03-14-2009, 11:12 PM
In Chinese business culture it is considered a sign of respect to do so and I believe it is a must. To what extent the gift should be varies depending on you though and what type of business you're doing and how much money can be made. Also just to throw in if business cards are exchanged, hold their card with both hands and then compliment it, then put it away respectively. Not in the front shirt pocket or anything like that. Its good to brush up on these things as most execs there can be particular about these traditions and can be impressed easily by foreigners who know their ways. Good luck.

Supa Dexta
03-14-2009, 11:17 PM
The chinese are a very lazy bunch when it comes to hard work, thats why they have no farms really here in canada..

... the bait is set.

Ekliptix
03-14-2009, 11:22 PM
Originally posted by kirberman
In Chinese business culture it is considered a sign of respect to do so and I believe it is a must. To what extent the gift should be varies depending on you though and what type of business you're doing and how much money can be made. Also just to throw in if business cards are exchanged, hold their card with both hands and then compliment it, then put it away respectively. Not in the front shirt pocket or anything like that. Its good to brush up on these things as most execs there can be particular about these traditions and can be impressed easily by foreigners who know their ways. Good luck.
Thank YOU! Very helpful.

CMW403
03-15-2009, 09:05 AM
Originally posted by Phihalo
I'd say depends on what kind of company they are, as sometimes receiving/giving gifts are prohibited by company's compliance policy. For the bank that I work in, we can't accept anything that is over 50 EUR. So be careful on that as well :)

im pretty sure its a custom in china to give small gifts