PDA

View Full Version : Classic Jacks

RY213
03-15-2009, 11:56 AM
Stopped by here last night for a few drinks. Usually going out for a casual drink in Calgary is a pain in the ass, with dress codes, lineups, bouncers only letting women in, cover charges etc. I was pleasantly surprised by Classic Jacks though. First off, the bouncer/doorman was really polite and genuinely friendly, asked us if we wanted a table or if we were just having a drink. What really impressed me is he called me by name after checking my id. Once inside we ordered two vodka-tonics which came to $9.50, not too bad and we didnt have to wait long for service. Music was allright, there was a DJ spinning poppy R&B and rap music, pretty standard club music. The staff were all polite and friendly, the doorman even made a point to wish us a good night and thanked us for stopping by as we were leaving. This place seems like nothing special from the outside, but their service was top notch. I would definitely go back.

Pros: Service, nice atmosphere, not too expensive, no cover charge

Cons: uneven guy:girl ratio

hampstor
03-15-2009, 12:19 PM
Man! i haven't been there in ~5 years! I used to go there for the mini burgers :drool:

bamboo_warrier
03-15-2009, 12:48 PM
servers dating managers, wait thats every pub in town

RY213
03-15-2009, 12:51 PM
Originally posted by hampstor
Man! i haven't been there in ~5 years! I used to go there for the mini burgers :drool:

Ive been there a few times for lunch in the day time and they have really good food. The food reminds me of Original Joes, which has the best pub food in Calgary IMO. This was my first time going there at night when its more of a club/lounge and I was impressed...

nonlinear
03-15-2009, 03:24 PM
Originally posted by RY213
Usually going out for a casual drink in Calgary is a pain in the ass, with dress codes, lineups, bouncers only letting women in, cover charges etc.

what!?!?!?

guess you don't get out for 'casual drinks' much, eh?

Cooked Rice
03-15-2009, 04:35 PM
$5 Hoegaarden on wed nights :thumbsup: plus it's wing night too.

whiskas
03-15-2009, 04:48 PM
Their pizza is really good, forget which night but they have a special price and it's so worth it.

Dumbass17
03-15-2009, 05:19 PM
yeah classic jacks is pertty good
great service..unlike melrose..i'm so anti-melrose :P

masoncgy
03-16-2009, 11:44 AM
Originally posted by Cooked Rice
$5 Hoegaarden on wed nights

Sounds like that alleviates the whole 'guy to girl ratio' concern the OP was unimpressed with... lol... ;)

Classic Jacks is always a good choice... been there many times over the years, especially when I lived close by in the Beltline... never a bad experience at all.

Zero102
03-25-2009, 09:52 AM
Just wanted to throw in my 2 cents here. Went to Classic Jacks for lunch with my wife a couple of days ago because of this thread. On the first trip I was really impressed. Nice waitress, fast refills, reasonably priced excellent food (although the coleslaw tastes like plastic but coleslaw is always a gamble) and they even put your names on the bill.

On the last visit we went a bit later (3PM) on a friday and they seated us (in a nearly empty restaurant) right beside a table of 15 very drunk yelling 20-something girls. Our waitress was rude and ignored us for most of the time (we had 3 different people try to help out while she was missing) although the food was really good again.

Seems to be pretty hit and miss, the food is great but the staff and atmosphere seem to vary widely. We'll definitely go again, but it won't be on a friday afternoon.

nonlinear
03-25-2009, 05:11 PM
^^well, it's a bar man, what do you expect? it's always been full of drunk people whenever i've been there. i've only been at night, though.

The Cosworth
03-25-2009, 05:43 PM
if we try and are pissed at one or two places this is where we always end up. The big black dude (bouncer I think) is really a super nice guy.

crez
03-25-2009, 05:47 PM
Zero must have gone on an off day with a new server, I've been there hundreds of times I'm sure by now, and never had bad service. Oh well, one complaint is pretty darn good.

Another good place, just down the street, 1410, is owned by the same people and is same quality wise, but a far different menu. It's vewry good to go to for something a little different.

RY213
03-25-2009, 08:01 PM
I stopped by there late last night for a quick drink with a lady friend. Again the service was pretty good. We ordered drinks and it took a few minutes, but while we were waiting one of the managers came by to make sure we werent being ignored. :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

I heard 1410 is good as well but ive never been there myself. Is it true they have the same menu as Cactus Club?

colinderksen
03-26-2009, 07:56 PM
They have really good yam fries.

you&me
03-26-2009, 08:05 PM
Originally posted by RY213
I heard 1410 is good as well but ive never been there myself. Is it true they have the same menu as Cactus Club?

Cactus Club would wish!

est2
03-26-2009, 08:29 PM
it depends what night you goto classic jacks. some nights it is full of greasy guys and fake chicks. when there is a hockey game on during the week it is a different atmosphere.

B20EF
03-26-2009, 08:37 PM
Just got back from there! Been going there for years, I live a few blocks away. It's definitely my favorite spot in walking distance. I like how they have wing night Wednesday and Thursday.

Zero102
03-27-2009, 10:06 AM
Originally posted by nonlinear
^^well, it's a bar man, what do you expect? it's always been full of drunk people whenever i've been there. i've only been at night, though.

What I was saying is that the place was nearly empty with only 3 other groups of people in the place (maybe 10 other people total) and they were scattered all over, yet they seated us _RIGHT_ beside this table. I don't mind that a group of drunk people are there, of course it is a bar as well, but when there are tons of other tables there's no reason for this. She just kind of showed us to the table, pulled on one chair then dropped the menus on the table and walked off. I was pretty disappointed with her.

I accepted that this was likely a fluke given the reviews of this place from others on Beyond and I will be trying them again just as soon as I can find some more time to sneak down there to meet my wife for lunch.

Weapon_R
03-27-2009, 10:30 AM
Then why didn't you ask to be moved a few tables away?

urban.one
03-27-2009, 10:32 AM
We used to go to Jacks a lot. They used to be one of the cheapest places on 17th. Their daily specials used to be like $2.75 bottle of Keiths, $4.99 mussels, $4.99 pizzaz, $3 coronas, etc. The mens and womens bathroom also used to be reversed and the mens bathroom was huge back then.

dirtsniffer
07-30-2010, 02:03 PM
me and some friends went here last night for some wings. Awesome patio on 17th, my only complaint was the server tried to put an automatic 18 percent tip on the bill. I know of places that do this but usually only with large parties. our party was only 5 people.
We got it taken off the bill and her tip turned out to be more than 18% anyways.
I'd still go back though. 4 dollar coronas and cheap wings, plus a patio on 17th is a good thursday night

max_boost
07-31-2010, 11:49 AM
Originally posted by Weapon_R
Then why didn't you ask to be moved a few tables away?

haha I know. So simple.

Originally posted by dirtsniffer
me and some friends went here last night for some wings. Awesome patio on 17th, my only complaint was the server tried to put an automatic 18 percent tip on the bill. I know of places that do this but usually only with large parties. our party was only 5 people.
We got it taken off the bill and her tip turned out to be more than 18% anyways.
I'd still go back though. 4 dollar coronas and cheap wings, plus a patio on 17th is a good thursday night

haha I know what you mean but I would feel cheap to ask for the 18% removed lol

Anyway, I agree with the others. It's like the default/good/safe place to go. Never had a bad experience. :thumbsup:

Disoblige
07-31-2010, 12:08 PM
^^ Yeah, I enjoy it there.

Always order the nachos with the girl and the server always is like.. Dude you know they are super big right.. And we're like.. Ya both of us finish it all the time with wings and beers! It's always funny.

And then now some of them know us, especially the hosts.

RY213
07-31-2010, 12:39 PM
Since I made the OG post I have moved about 2 blocks away from Classic Jacks. I go here once a week on average and still love it here. Only thing I dont like about it is the bathrooms are too cramped, but I usually run home if I really have to go lol. Love the Hoegaarden special, and their burgers are pretty good. Also try their breakfast on the weekend, 3 eggs, 3 sausages, 3 bacon, toast, waffle, hashbrowns for around $10 :drool:

monkeyman
07-31-2010, 03:39 PM
The only saving grace that CJ has is the talent that comes in and out of that place. Other than that, way too pretentious and phony.

Jonel
08-02-2010, 11:37 PM
Used to go there every thursday night before school started. Definitely one of my favorite spots to hang out with friends after work. Don't forget to get your calendars for a great cause =P Can't beat the ice cold buckets + wings galore. They also have a wicked spinach salad.

dirtsniffer
08-04-2010, 08:43 PM
i hate buckets, i dont get them because there never a deal..
when i was at cj's last thursday it was 4.25 for a corona, or 17 for four! like wtf is the point?