View Full Version : BMW 528xi

berbatov
03-16-2009, 03:34 AM
I have a daily driver, an 09 Altima coupe

I'm about to sign a contract on a weekend vehicle, the BMW 528xi

What do you think of the car ?

The_Rural_Juror
03-16-2009, 07:06 AM
What year is the 528xi? I would think that the Altima coupe is more fun to drive than the 528xi.

berbatov
03-16-2009, 07:31 AM
2009 BMW 528xi

scat19
03-16-2009, 08:09 AM
Wouldn't you research it a little before you're about to sign a contract?

Ask yourself this. Do YOU like it? Do you NEED four wheel drive? Can you AFFORD it?

Easy to figure out imo.

911fever
03-16-2009, 10:11 AM
for the price you'll be paying, why not get an E46 M3? Why not get 2006 545i?

berbatov
03-16-2009, 10:16 AM
Affordability is not a factor. I find it decently luxurios, like the xi - awd feature and the reputation the company has.

Am not aware of any short / long term problems with this particular model, local BMW customer service (mixed reviews / as opposed to good in Edmonton) ... hence I need information I cannot find based on official reviews and would appreciate personal input, especially about the customer service.

I want a new vehicle, even though the M series is sexy and amazing from many perspectives and the 545 has the dual turbine, the same one as the 335i as I recall.

berbatov
03-16-2009, 10:19 AM
Originally posted by The_Rural_Juror
What year is the 528xi? I would think that the Altima coupe is more fun to drive than the 528xi.
Altima is a decent / light coupe with plenty of pickup in my 3.5 series model. Space is restricted in the rear seats, but the design a la G infiniti makes up for it. It is fun to drive and allows fast pickup, I want something more luxurios.

After closing the door on a 3.8 Tech Genesis, I decided to look at BMW, even if it carries the well known stigma and "intriguing" local customer service.

911fever
03-16-2009, 10:26 AM
why new? I don't know, I've driven the new 09 528, I wasn't impressed enough to buy one or lease one ever.. if you're buying one, its not worth the money at all. And buying a new luxury vehicle like a BMW is like throwing money out the window as soon as you drive it off the lot. How about an 08 335i?

The_Rural_Juror
03-16-2009, 10:29 AM

w_man
03-16-2009, 10:34 AM
I like the 3 series but I wish i had gone for the 5. A bit more luxury and room. If you are looking for luxury, go for the 5. If you are looking for the performance, save some money and go for the 335.

If you are looking for service, stay as far away from Infiniti as possible. Between the two BMW dealerships, I would work with Calgary BMW instead of BMW Gallery in crowfoot ... My personal opinion!! I have dealt with both and both are questionable but Calgary BMW is the lesser evil IMO.

atgilchrist
03-16-2009, 11:00 AM
Why get it just for a weekend car? That seems more like a daily driver to me:dunno:. I'd rather do the daily commute in a more luxurious car and save the sportier car for the weekend.

dimi
03-16-2009, 12:48 PM
535 or nothing. The twin turbos are too deadly. I own a 335xi.

The only regret I have is the xi. Much worse than the Audi counterpart, and the xi suspension is absolute garbage compared to the sport i suspension. If you want a real sports car i is the choice. Stick some winter rubber and you are good to go.

sillysod
03-16-2009, 03:26 PM
Originally posted by berbatov
Affordability is not a factor.

then why would you be looking at a 528xi...? AWD + 230hp/200ft/lbs :thumbsdow

it is a big and heavy (with AWD) car. the 528 is just okay with rwd and a manual gearbox.

Since affordability is not a factor for you and you really want x drive (which also is mediocre) 535 is a must.

The_Rural_Juror
03-16-2009, 04:47 PM
I am sorry to say that what you should have done was to skip the Altima and purchased the 550i or 535xi instead. 7.6 second 0-60 for a large car like that is way too slow to be any fun.

Xtrema
03-16-2009, 05:19 PM
I have a daily driver, an 09 Altima coupe

I'm about to sign a contract on a weekend vehicle, the BMW 528xi

What do you think of the car ?

Why 528 if money is no object?

535 would be where I would go for a couple more hundred a month.

Also, I probably wont' do 535/Altima combo. I would go look for something more exotic than Altima if I have a sedan as daily driver.

psycoticclown
03-16-2009, 06:27 PM
Like everybody else said, if money isn't a concern, why a 528xi? Especially if this is a "weekend" car and not a daily driver. And why a 2009? If you absolutely want a new car, what about something from Audi, the 3.0T A6 has 300hp, 70 more than the BMW, a much better AWD system and at least as luxurious if not more luxurious than the BMW. Plus it only starts $4000 more than the BMW does. A5 is also around that price too.

C63AMG is another choice too, it'll blow the doors off the BMW, amazing looks, decent interior and starts at $63k which is only $5k more than the BMW.

And you can get slightly used cars that are much better for way cheaper too. Depending on how old you want to go, theres a 2006 MB CLS55 AMG for $63k in Calgary, a 2006 Maserati Quattroporte for ~$65k, also in Calgary. Granted they might be a tad old, but both those cars are mileeeees above the BMW.

blinkme_210
03-16-2009, 09:35 PM
Go with the 535xi or go home.

I'm assuming you want to sign soon to take advantage of the free premium package upgrade?

Actually, scratch that. Don't buy any car right now. Wait a few months and the MY2010s will be coming out soon. It's still snowing and the spring thaw is nasty and since you're going to be driving it as a weekend car, I think you can wait.

The_Rural_Juror
03-16-2009, 11:08 PM
MY2010 won't be out until September. That's a good half a year.

The C63 is a fantastic car but MB won't move on the price too much and it would be low 70s out the door. 17.6l/100km is :nut:

psycoticclown
03-17-2009, 12:46 AM
Low 70's isn't too much more expensive than what he's looking at. Especially if money isn't really a factor. Think about it like this, 58k MRSP on the BMW, and since he wants some luxury items, nav, premium, etc, probably looking at around $65-$68k depending on options. The MB is around $73k with the AMG performence and luxury packages. And I thought MB moved quite a bit on higher end cars, I remember the S class 2 months ago being offered for 20k under MRSP and I think Max_boost mentioned something about C63 AMG incentives.

gpomp
03-17-2009, 03:30 AM
Originally posted by psycoticclown
what about something from Audi, the 3.0T A6 has 300hp, 70 more than the BMW, a much better AWD system dGWsogAlZLE

The_Rural_Juror
03-17-2009, 07:00 AM
Originally posted by psycoticclown
Low 70's isn't too much more expensive than what he's looking at. Especially if money isn't really a factor. Think about it like this, 58k MRSP on the BMW, and since he wants some luxury items, nav, premium, etc, probably looking at around $65-$68k depending on options. The MB is around $73k with the AMG performence and luxury packages. And I thought MB moved quite a bit on higher end cars, I remember the S class 2 months ago being offered for 20k under MRSP and I think Max_boost mentioned something about C63 AMG incentives.

I just checked last week. The C63 with only premium package came out to 73k out the door. With the performance package, it came to 80k. No factory incentives for the remainder of 09 MY due to very limited distribution. There is a $2000 green levy on it too.

As for the price is no object comment, we all know that 89coupe is the only person on here who can say that.

blinkme_210
03-17-2009, 08:18 AM
Originally posted by The_Rural_Juror
MY2010 won't be out until September. That's a good half a year.

The C63 is a fantastic car but MB won't move on the price too much and it would be low 70s out the door. 17.6l/100km is :nut:

Assuming he builds a 528xi exactly to his specs, it won't arrive here until mid-May. Might as well wait another 3.5 months for the MY2010. No use in buying a weekend car to only store it in the garage 5 days a week to depreciate. It doesn't make any financial sense.

CLiVE
03-17-2009, 09:34 AM
Funny. He never said "price was no object..." He said, affordability was not a factor....meaning he can afford the 528xi.

If you are just getting the car as a comfortable weekend cruiser, the 528xi will be fine. Luxurious, and 'enough' power. The 535 is great, but also another $10K.

Personally I can understand the choice of the 5 over a 3, for the space. Especially if you have a family. All depends on what your priorities are. Give us more info?

CokerRat
03-17-2009, 09:53 AM
The OP is looking at an entry-level 5-series and says cost is not an issue. Clearly he doesn't want a hotshoe sports sedan or he'd be looking at one, so stop trying to sell the guy a bigger engine.

OP: What's the purpose of the vehicle? What do you want it to do that the '09 Altima isn't doing?

Jumping ahead and assuming the answer is "to look good while cruising around" (nothing wrong with that, that's what half the 911 and Hummer owners buy their cars for lol), a 528 definitely fills the bill.. and so do many other midsize luxury sedans...E-class MB, Audi A6, Lexus ES/GS, Infiniti M, Cadillac STS, etc. The BMW 5-series is a fine car. Personally I'd lose the x-drive... it's just not necessary in Calgary and much less so on a weekend driver.

berbatov
03-17-2009, 10:09 AM
I went to the dealership and had the pleasure to test drive a few of their vehicles. Customer service was great at BMW gallery and it was a pleasure to learn more about the vehicles. I drove the 09 528xi, the 08 version of the same vehicle, the 535i and the 335xi.

The 2009 528xi has been the primary option from the start. I drove and enjoyed it for roughly an hour and it is a very comfortable vehicle, with a family in mind. The suspension is way softer than the sportier one available on the Altima coupe, and the overall sensation was pleasant as it was a very quiet ride. It lacked the power unfortunately, while cornering felt like steering a large boat. The interior was a bit of letdown, luxurious for the price of 65819.+taxes cash deal, but the dash board slightly reminding me of a late 90s vehicle. People when they buy BMWs tend to ignore little details such as that, as you are buying the overall package; still, felt like it needed pointed out.

http://l.yimg.com/dv/izp/bmw_5_series_528xi_sedan_2009_dashboard_dashboard.jpg

Overall feeling : luxurious, spacious for a 6'4 individual such as myself, extremely comfortable with the Premium and Comfort package, yet underpowered for such a heavy German vehicle, as many of you have knowledgeably pointed out.

CLiVE
03-17-2009, 03:38 PM

The interior was a bit of letdown, luxurious for the price of 65819.+taxes cash deal, but the dash board slightly reminding me of a late 90s vehicle. People when they buy BMWs tend to ignore little details such as that, as you are buying the overall package; still, felt like it needed pointed out.

Personally I would describe the dash board, etc. as minimalist. Since BMW's have always been described as "drivers cars" it makes sense to me. The clown nose (huge red light on the bottom of the mirror) is very dated though.

Since you have a family have you considered the touring? or a used 530xit? The XI for me is a must have. I would be fine with RWD, but a more confident having my wife drive it with the XI, and the added safety/stability it provides for a family vehicle.

If there interior (90's interior as you described) is an issue. Go look at a Lexus. IMO.

sillysod
03-17-2009, 04:52 PM
http://www.familycar.com/RoadTests/NissanAltimaCoupe/Images2008/Dash.jpg

now this is modern and classy looking.... BMW should take some notes!