PDA

View Full Version : Evolution of Free parking at SAIT

cgyITguy
03-16-2009, 04:49 PM
Hi there, I attended SAIT for 4 years, just thought I would share a tidbit of information on how "free" parking has gotten tougher over the years and what is required to do it today.

Back in the day you could would be just fine parking at the far perimeter of North Hill mall where you were a hop and a skip from the SAIT campus. Yes there was always prohibited signs yet very little enforcement.

Then one day the unnecessary tickets and towings began. This made things slightly tougher, but all that was really required was to park farther in closer to the mall.

They caught on to this after a while and hired 2 full time parking cops to watch the target areas. The solution then became to "sit and wait". You had to park, wait till they weren't watching and then leave your car. If they didn't see you, they couldn't catch you.

They soon became a little more aware of their surrounding and the offending cars. What soon became necessary was to park on the opposite side of the mall and walk through mall and out the other side. One security guard would watch you walk from the car to the mall and another would watch you walk from the mall to SAIT, never the two were any wiser.

After they caught on to this little trick, they would often follow me through the mall. Several time I had been tailed buy minimum wage losers taking their job to seriously. The necessary solution was to duck out in the World Health Club, a quick 2 second trip down those stairs would throw them off every time.

Soon they beefed up security even more. Often I would be interrogated with 50 questions before i was to even enter the mall. The solution then became to dress in sweat pants and hide my backpack and laptop inside a gym bag. This worked as a great decoy and was allowed to pass by security on a consistent basis with nothing more than a nod from them. After a quick pretend duck out to the gym, I was back on my way to SAIT.

So over the years I have saved thousands of dollars in parking, and it can always be done...you just got to want it bad enough and I wish everybody who embarks upon the dream of free parking the best of luck

:thumbsup:

whiskas
03-16-2009, 04:53 PM
Originally posted by cgyITguy
So over the years I have saved thousands of dollars in parking

But you had to wear sweatpants in exchange. A tradeoff many would not even dare to consider.

chkolny541
03-16-2009, 05:33 PM
Originally posted by whiskas

But you had to wear sweatpants in exchange. A tradeoff many would not even dare to consider.

i dont think you have ever attended a post secondary school, i can see where this newbie is coming from, sweat pants are well worth it:thumbsup:

colt22
03-16-2009, 05:39 PM

But you had to wear sweatpants in exchange. A tradeoff many would not even dare to consider. ''

seriously? real clothes are for weekends buddy

I normally go commando with grey sweats no socks, flip flops nikes, and a hoodie with no shirt.. the only way to do it really.

GQBalla
03-16-2009, 06:17 PM
ahah when i was at SAIT i would always wear my lululemons,

didn't do my hair it was great

Isaiah
03-16-2009, 06:25 PM

And you're cheap and work in IT. Deadly combo.

mowglee
03-17-2009, 01:10 PM

sweats are the way to go. who the hell wants to dress up for an 8am class?:dunno: :dunno:

buh_buh
03-17-2009, 01:27 PM
wow, you really went to lengths to park for free.
I just printed off a fake parking ticket everyday at U of A.

Idratherbsidewayz
03-17-2009, 02:26 PM
Originally posted by GQBalla
ahah when i was at SAIT i would always wear my lululemons,

didn't do my hair it was great

Aren't you a guy? :confused:

turbotrip
03-17-2009, 02:52 PM
:rofl: :rofl: great thread

b_t
03-17-2009, 03:00 PM
My first year, I would just park in the bottom lot.. you could either tail a car out and the bar would fly back up and let you out, or you could just jump out of your car and push the bar up. After that, they would usually have a guy out there to watch it, but on the few times my ticket didn't work or all the machines were broken and I only had cash I would just push the bar up, leave, and never got a ticket for it when I came back the next day.

Originally posted by Idratherbsidewayz

Lulu actually makes some great sweats for guys. The brand name is still gay but the pants are great.

dharminder
03-17-2009, 03:07 PM

Well your carrying a gym bag already put your real clothes in there if you really wanted to dress up.

Like stated who dresses up for a 8am class?

Rat Fink
03-17-2009, 03:09 PM

GQBalla
03-17-2009, 03:10 PM

yeap, lululemon makes some dope ass sweats.

check it out keeps you cool during the gym yet warm during the cold.

epp01
03-17-2009, 03:36 PM
Parking is ridiculous, the mall cops are always towing cars away. Now that you have to pay 3 bucks to park to take the train more and more people are just driving to SAIT. Unless you're at SAIT before 8AM you will not get a parking spot. The 9 dollar lot beside the auto building is closing april 1st. One of the Jubs 4 dollar lot will be closed quite a few days because of graduation.

You now take MORE cars, and close down 2 parking lots (one of them being the biggest lot) If you're left trying to park, you're SOL.

Guess I'm going to show up at 6 AM for now on.

cgyITguy
03-17-2009, 03:45 PM
It should be noted that i did receive 2 tickets in my 4 years (not to shabby). I did attempt to go to great lengths to appeal one of them.

I used to work in the mall, so i went that day to my old work and talked to someone i knew, I had them print me off a copy of a cash receipt that was at the same time as the ticket to "prove" I was indeed in the mall at the time.

The parking cop claimed that I was witnessed leaving the mall and getting on the c-train which was a COMPLETE lie, because i walked out the mall and straight to SAIT. ;)

Never the less I was screwed anyway.

Idratherbsidewayz
03-17-2009, 05:05 PM
Originally posted by GQBalla

yeap, lululemon makes some dope ass sweats.

check it out keeps you cool during the gym yet warm during the cold.

Haha, fair enough. The lululemon and not doing your hair comments just seemed wierd together. :rofl:

Mibz
03-17-2009, 05:48 PM
Originally posted by epp01
The 9 dollar lot beside the auto building is closing april 1st. One of the Jubs 4 dollar lot will be closed quite a few days because of graduation. Wait, what? They're closing P3? Or is this an early attempt at a weak April Fools joke?

G-ZUS
03-17-2009, 05:55 PM
Originally posted by Mibz
Wait, what? They're closing P3? Or is this an early attempt at a weak April Fools joke?

It's closing due to construction or some shit

Gibson
03-18-2009, 02:02 AM
They're closing the parkade on the North side of the campus as well. There's a new building going in there and the underground parkade is supposed to replace it.

The whole $3 park and ride thing by city council hasn't helped either.

szw
03-18-2009, 10:14 AM
This post was pretty damn funny.

GQBalla
03-18-2009, 10:23 AM

Haha, fair enough. The lululemon and not doing your hair comments just seemed wierd together. :rofl:

lol well not to the extent that a girl would do her hair.

when i do my hair i just throw some kind of product i have layin around.

911fever
03-19-2009, 02:12 AM
hahaha awesome thread.

I parked for free at the U of C for two years... parked at Bridlewood mall behind the TD Canada Trust bank. Never got one ticket. Got a ticket when I parked in the London Drug's parking lot (or the grocery store right there), so I moved behind the bank and got off scot free for two years worth! Was perfect, and wasn't too far from class!

colt22
03-19-2009, 11:07 AM
wrong thread

berbatov
03-19-2009, 11:12 AM
Thank you for the info.

Mall Security

calgarydub
03-19-2009, 05:01 PM
Originally posted by berbatov
Thank you for the info.

Mall Security

Who wants a mustache ride? :guns:

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_4m7qb8IswWg/R13Lc90M5SI/AAAAAAAABEo/FZhis0y1yHE/s400/Lake%2BForest%2BMall%2BSecurity%2BPeople%2BMover%2BB.jpg

jshel101
03-20-2009, 08:14 AM
When I went to SAIT in the early 90's. I parked for free for 2 years. It was probably a little easier back then. I woul dpark at the mall, they still had the no parking signs. I would park there for a couple days, then I would get a parking ticket. I would then move to the parkade at SAIT, this was un-manned back then. I would park there for a 2 or 3 days until I got a ticket. I would then move back to the mall.

I repeated this for my 2 years attending SAIT. I must have gotten hundreds of parking tickets, which I never paid. I had BC plates while I was at SAIT, and the provinces didn't have anything linked up back then. I don't think this would work now.

cosmok
03-25-2009, 09:49 AM
I used to park in P1 and just drive down the hill; hooked a tow strap around the bumper curbs and pulled them out of the way. They have those barricades up now.

bashir26
03-26-2009, 10:11 AM
sweatpants are my life. Easier to put on, and much more comfortable than jeans :thumbsup:

Thomas Gabriel
03-26-2009, 11:13 AM
sweatpants give me a chronic erection

calgarydub
04-15-2009, 10:49 PM
So back on topic and a 1 month old bump

I'll be switching from U of C to SAIT in the fall.
How is the parking at SAIT now?
Is it always full? Is it super expensive?
I was paying $6 a day at u of c in the art parkade, or sometimes $4 in lot 11 if it was warm.

I found the $6 to be a little expensive. I didn't mind the $4 which was farther away, just to give you all an idea of what I think is costly.

Can someone help me out so I know what to do when I go there?

I dunno, parking for free sounds cool, but playing hide and seek with the mall security everyday seems like a little much. Rather just pay and be on campus and not have to worry about it.

Also I am interested in parking somewhere and taking a train or bus. If it helps I live 2 minutes from Westside rec center.

Thanks

sweeks
04-16-2009, 06:00 AM
There was free parking in the community just north of SAIT across 16th. whether or not its still there I have no idea its been 7 years since I was there. look around 19th ave and 12th st.

dollarbillz
04-20-2009, 03:38 PM
Parking Is $4 $5 $9 and $1.50 per half hour

You are better off parking at a train station

Originally posted by calgarydub
So back on topic and a 1 month old bump

I'll be switching from U of C to SAIT in the fall.
How is the parking at SAIT now?
Is it always full? Is it super expensive?
I was paying $6 a day at u of c in the art parkade, or sometimes $4 in lot 11 if it was warm.

I found the $6 to be a little expensive. I didn't mind the $4 which was farther away, just to give you all an idea of what I think is costly.

Can someone help me out so I know what to do when I go there?

I dunno, parking for free sounds cool, but playing hide and seek with the mall security everyday seems like a little much. Rather just pay and be on campus and not have to worry about it.

Also I am interested in parking somewhere and taking a train or bus. If it helps I live 2 minutes from Westside rec center.

Thanks