PDA

View Full Version : did they put in my Royal Purple Synthetic oil????

PETEY100
03-16-2009, 08:24 PM
Hello ! I went to an oil change facility today to have my oil changed. I use royal purple in all of my cars and have for years. I over heard the service writer telling someone on the phone to remove the oil from my work order cause I supplied my own oil. I then asked the service writer if the partial quart that should of been left over was in my car and he confirmed with the oil change tech that it was , I gave them 5 liters and my car holds 4.2 liters of oil. I was still doubtful and decided to check the oil since royal purple is purple and in my experience it stays that way for a few days of what I have observed in my other vehicles. When I looked this is what I seen on the dipstick, brown oil not purple ? What do you think ? Have I been scammed? In all other situations that I have used this oil in my Jeep and dont laugh but also in my 1947 Case and my 1960 Olds the oil stayed purple for a few days. I will say that the facility has ordered me some new oil and they are going to change my oil again with me present after we went into the shop and drained some of the oil into a clear container and poured it onto white paper and sure enough it is brown oil. Whats your opinion ? can royal purple oil change color in less than 1 minute of run time??

sr20s14zenki
03-16-2009, 08:29 PM
Nope, looks like a scam to me. Ive used royal purple a few times, and it stays purple for awhile.

Cant trust anybody these days eh?

Supa Dexta
03-16-2009, 08:30 PM
Looks like regular oil to me. Was there purple in it before the change?

GQBalla
03-16-2009, 08:32 PM
scammed

PETEY100
03-16-2009, 08:35 PM
first oil change on my car with 5400 approx. kms

sidewaysD
03-16-2009, 08:50 PM
if this was at Canadian tire..

SCAMMED

Trust me on this!

ShadowDragonx
03-16-2009, 08:54 PM
every time i use royal purple it turns darkish brown rite after i run it for a while

it's hard to say if they put ur oil in or put theirs in

as long as it's not amber like regular oil u should be ok, i noticed that with royal purple the color is darker then regular after u change the oil

mazda_maniac
03-18-2009, 07:08 AM
Either it changed colour fastor the kid forgot to put your supplid oil in and hoped you wouldn't notice.

Lube tech kids are amazing. I onc heard of a story with a kid at the stealership I work at trying to do an atf flush on the power steering hoses hahaha.

PETEY100
03-18-2009, 09:30 AM
Thanks for the feedback, I decided after your comments to take trust in the word of the gentleman whom changed my oil that it was put in and changed color fast maybe due to the break-in oil that honda uses? I dont know but whatever.

ianmcc
03-18-2009, 12:36 PM
Ask for the empty containers back next time.

em2ab
03-18-2009, 12:48 PM
They should have charged you a disposal fee for the remaining oil they didn't use.

n1zm0
03-18-2009, 01:00 PM
Originally posted by mazda_maniac
Either it changed colour fastor the kid forgot to put your supplid oil in and hoped you wouldn't notice.

Lube tech kids are amazing. I onc heard of a story with a kid at the stealership I work at trying to do an atf flush on the power steering hoses hahaha.

this, i have seen some amazing stuff from coworkers when i worked automotive, like once buddy forgot one hoist arm and only noticed it when letting it down (that was fken scary) or forgetting to tighten ANY of the 20 lugnuts :facepalm:, those people were let go pretty quick..

i for one have never used royal purple but have seen first hand that the oil you supply is sometimes not put in, either on purpose or just plain old forgetfulness, so i wouldnt doubt you got scammed if it's supposed to stay purple for a bit.

Toma
03-18-2009, 02:12 PM
Running ATF is power steering is common BTW ;)

scat19
03-18-2009, 02:25 PM
Originally posted by ianmcc
Ask for the empty containers back next time.

Ding Ding!

I always ask for old parts, old tires, old everything. Just to prove they were completed.

Good luck with getting this sorted!

mazda_maniac
03-18-2009, 08:15 PM
Originally posted by Toma
Running ATF is power steering is common BTW ;)

Not with an ATF flush machine that works off of the transmissions pump in order to flush the system.

The power steering machine is a much different procedure.

That's why I found it funny.

That's with BG systems anyways.

Trust me I understand that ATF is commonly usd in the power steering systems.

PremiumRSX
03-22-2009, 08:26 PM
I don't check my oil often unless its a few days after a fresh oil change incase i need to top up.

Last time I checked with an RP oil change.. It was still purple after a few days and after racing too.

cancan
03-24-2009, 11:54 AM
scammed

heavyD
03-24-2009, 12:23 PM
I'm not sure if you got scammed but I'm pretty sure your wasting alot of money using Royal Purple when you can buy better oils like Mobil 1 for less money.

revelations
03-24-2009, 12:26 PM
Originally posted by PETEY100
Thanks for the feedback, I decided after your comments to take trust in the word of the gentleman whom changed my oil that it was put in and changed color fast maybe due to the break-in oil that honda uses? I dont know but whatever.

There is no such thing as factory BREAK-IN oil but rather the cheapest priced, lowest performance oil that the manufacturer could find at the time.

(unless you bought a porsche or Vette, they come with M1 from the factory).

zieg
03-24-2009, 12:45 PM
An excellent example of why I always do all of my own work on my vehicles.

ExtraSlow
03-24-2009, 12:59 PM
Originally posted by revelations
There is no such thing as factory BREAK-IN oil but rather the cheapest priced, lowest performance oil that the manufacturer could find at the time.

(unless you bought a porsche or Vette, they come with M1 from the factory).
Somewhat off topic of the OP, but I was assured when I bought my Mazda that they use a special factory break in oil and that I was NOT to change the oil until a minimum of 5000 kms. Dealership people are pretty unreliable, but I can't see why they'd lie about this.

Keros
03-31-2009, 05:33 PM
I'll tell you straight up that unless you're getting a wicked deal on the RP, you should run 10000km oil changes and 5000km filter changes or just switch to cheaper oil. Royal Purple is a Group V Poly Ester based oil, which means it is a true sythetic and will last much longer under higher stress than a regular (Group III) oil like most Castrol, Pennzoil, and Mobil 1.

Mobil 1 does make a 0w40 and 5w50 Group IV oil, which is the same performance as a Group V (Royal Purple, Redline, ect), but are polyalphaolefin based. German Castrol (0w30) is also a Group IV.

Long story short, pretty much all oils on the shelf at Canadian Tire are Group III oils which are mineral oil that's been further treated and mixed with synthetic additives... giving it the marketing stigma of "Synthetic" on the label. Only Group IV and Group V oils are truely synthetic.

In no way do I mean that Group III oils are bad, they're great oil... good enough for most cars making less than 100hp/L. Pennzoil Platinum is great and although I hate Mobil 1's marketing, they make some of the best Group III oils out there.

My point is though that an engine won't notice any difference between a Group III and a Group IV unless you're running large change intervals or huge power. If you're getting Royal Purple cheaper than Pennzoil Platinum, hook a brother up ;)... otherwise, I don't think it's worth it if you're still doing 5000km oil changes.

old&slow
03-31-2009, 05:51 PM
I used it in my bike once.Stayed purple for a while as well.
I think that's regular oil!

krusso04
04-03-2009, 06:10 PM
defs regual oil... roya p would have been alot darker!

revelations
04-03-2009, 07:39 PM
Originally posted by ExtraSlow

Somewhat off topic of the OP, but I was assured when I bought my Mazda that they use a special factory break in oil and that I was NOT to change the oil until a minimum of 5000 kms. Dealership people are pretty unreliable, but I can't see why they'd lie about this.

Urban myth, many dealerships would probably claim the same thing.

About the only thing "special" with the oil is that it shouldnt be synthetic oil as it will affect ring sealing during the break in period.