PDA

View Full Version : Looking for Volunteering Opportunities for the Summer

dimi
03-17-2009, 11:33 AM
Well guys here is my situation.

I am finishing up my third year BComm in Accounting @ Haskayne. I transferred from Comm & Cult, since getting in Haskyane first year after a year of engineering was kind of hard given my GPA at the time. Unfortunately I found out about accounting recruiting very close to deadline for the application and had no idea that this takes place this early in the year. The result of this was that my applications were rushed, and my resume was nowhere near the level that I would like it to be when applying for job. Needless to say I didn't get a job for the summer, and given the tight economic conditions its been hard to get interest. Luckily one of my previous bosses has gotten me in contact with his accountant and I might be working 2-3 days in that office.

The reason for this post is to ensure this doesn't happen again next year during recruiting season. I figure the more extra curricular activities I can gather in this period of time the better. As I stand right now, these are the main attributes to my resume:

-GPA hovers around 3.1-3.2
-I am involved in two clubs at school and should be getting a VP position next year in one of the two.
-My last two jobs consist of drafting for an engineering company and roofing labour the year prior to that. I also did some book keeping for the engineering company as well as setting up their network and troubleshooting the whole office.
-I have quite a few high school acievements like IB, honors, etc... though I am sure noone cares about those.
- I have sufficient references(3+) and have contacted them all regarding my job search. All of them are previous employers, and I am pretty sure they have a positive outlook on me.
-Lots of atheltic activities and hobbies...again I don't think anyone cares here.

The only thing I lack here is volunteering, and maybe a higher GPA though I am sure it will remain at that mark for this year given my course load.

So keeping all of this in mind what would be some good volunteering options that I should consider for 2-3 days a week. I would prefer two places rather than one but anything works at this point.

Thank you.

mazdavirgin
03-17-2009, 02:35 PM
http://www.volunteercalgary.ab.ca/index.html

Look for something specifically tied to accounting. Perhaps assisting new immigrants with their tax forms etc... Really though your resume is less important than you think. Unrelated volunteer experience doesn't really help you get hired either :\ Easiest avenue into the market is through networking.

LadyLuck
03-17-2009, 02:39 PM
Talk to the Canada Revenue Agency
I run a program with them at Sait, we train volunteers to process student taxes for free.

I know theyre always looking for help when it comes to volunteers.