PDA

View Full Version : Help choosing Golf Clubs

Mitsu3000gt
03-18-2009, 11:17 AM
I think its about time I buy my own set of golf clubs this year (I'm in marketing, and should probably get used to golf lol). The problem is that I know nothing about actually buying golf clubs other than the big names (ping, taylor made, callaway, etc.).

Is this the best time to buy? (pre-season) I see prices fluctuate a ton so I don't want to pay more than I have to. I am looking for a decent set of forgiving golf clubs. My research suggests that Ping Rapture's fit the bill as they are labelled "game improvement", but they are more money than I wanted to spend (trying to keep it between $500-$800, but if spending a bit more gets me a lot more, I'm OK with that).

I had a rental set of Nike Sumo clubs that I liked, but I have no idea if they are good clubs or not.

So, any suggestions on what type of clubs to buy, or a general idea of what I should be looking for would be greatly appreciated. I'm basically just looking for a set of irons, maybe a SW/PW and a driver. I'm very much a beginner, I think the best I shot on 18 holes was 106.

Thanks in advance

theken
03-18-2009, 11:32 AM
I have a set of callaway last years model berthas. They are really nice. Go for graphite if you don't want to upgrade later

bigboom
03-18-2009, 11:34 AM
first off i would get fit. as a beginner dont make it any harder on yourself getting a set of clubs that arent right for you. the proper length and lie of the clubs will make a big difference alogn with a proper club flex.

after you get fit it really depends if it's a game that you jsut want to play a few times a year or actually take up seriously. if its just a few times a year look for some super game improvement clubs, ie. the ping rapture, ping g10, nike sumo, something with a big cavity and easy to use.

if you actually want to improve you may want to look at some game improvement or players irons. these will have a smaller/no cavity and will be more difficult to play with but if you put in some practice time they are more of a long term solution as you will be able to grow with the clubs instead of the SGI irons where you can really only do one thing with them and thats get the ball up and straight. whereas with the other clubs you will be able to work the ball up/down/left/right.

for wedges i'd keep it simple to start, get a sand wedge and lob wedge, maybe a hybrid to drop one of your long irons and a 3 wood. there's lots of clearance stuff on right now from last years models so take a look at those.

bigboom
03-18-2009, 11:35 AM
Originally posted by theken
I have a set of callaway last years model berthas. They are really nice. Go for graphite if you don't want to upgrade later

graphite shafts in your irons are for seniors :)

theken
03-18-2009, 11:40 AM
I use steel. But beginners won't swing with confidence for a long time

Mitsu3000gt
03-18-2009, 01:18 PM
Thanks for the help so far. I have been looking around lots online.

Is this a good deal for this driver for a novice?

http://www.golftown.com/gtcommerce/stores/1/Nike-SQ-SUMO-5900-Driver-P6893C918.aspx

and

http://www.golftown.com/gtcommerce/stores/1/Nike-SQ-SUMO-Irons-Steel-P6928C23.aspx

That seems like a decent setup at a significant discount all together. What do you guys think?

I can get last season's Raptures for $1000, but I don't know that they would be worth nearly double the price as the Nike Sumo 2.

There were also these, but they weren't as much brand new as the Nike sumo 2 http://www.golftown.com/gtcommerce/stores/1/TaylorMade-r7-Irons-Steel-P3762C23.aspx

Thanks!

wingku
03-18-2009, 03:26 PM
I would say Golf Town is pretty good place. Tons of selection and you can get yourself fit over there too.

They often have last year or couple years old higher end models for sale between $400 to $700 which is a super steal, in my opinion.

I'm a callaway guy, I find their clubs are really easy to hit.

106 for a beginner is pretty good......

nadroj23
03-19-2009, 12:25 PM
PM me if you want more info I work at Golftown and can help you out a bit.

bigboom
03-19-2009, 02:44 PM
the thing you will find with the square drivers is they create more spin than regular headed drivers, thats how they keep you straighter than a traditional head. this will reduce your distance.

but for a beginner that setup you are looking at is decent, you can always upgrade when you outgrow that equipment.

Mitsu3000gt
03-19-2009, 03:56 PM
Originally posted by bigboom
the thing you will find with the square drivers is they create more spin than regular headed drivers, thats how they keep you straighter than a traditional head. this will reduce your distance.

but for a beginner that setup you are looking at is decent, you can always upgrade when you outgrow that equipment.

Thanks for the reply.

What would be an "upgrade"? I'm simply curious because they are normally some very expensive clubs. I am trying to get away with buying a good set of clubs now, and then never again unless I somehow break or wear out the clubs.

Also, I THINK the Nike Sumo 2 set of irons is actually half irons, and half hybrids, which I don't think I want - I would prefer 3-pw all irons from my limited experience. I couldn't hit hybrid to save my life, but seem to do OK with irons.

Sailz
03-19-2009, 05:18 PM
http://www.golfdigest.com/hotlist

Look under "super game improvement irons"

The Adams give the best bang for your buck. Go down to golf-town and grab all the sets your looking at and swing away. Golf equipment is very much player specific. Good luck and pray for sun and warm weather!

nadroj23
03-19-2009, 06:40 PM
Originally posted by Mitsu3000gt

Thanks for the reply.

What would be an "upgrade"? I'm simply curious because they are normally some very expensive clubs. I am trying to get away with buying a good set of clubs now, and then never again unless I somehow break or wear out the clubs.

Also, I THINK the Nike Sumo 2 set of irons is actually half irons, and half hybrids, which I don't think I want - I would prefer 3-pw all irons from my limited experience. I couldn't hit hybrid to save my life, but seem to do OK with irons.

An upgrade would be going to a smaller less of a cavity back head. The downside to cavity back is you cant shape your shots, like adding a fade or draw to your shot. So an upgrade down the line when you do imporve is going to something that will help you shape your shots, so less of a cavity and not such an oversized head. I currently hit the Ping S58's so a semi blade, tho it isnt forged like most. I still get a little cavity but the blade thinness.

nadroj23
03-19-2009, 06:43 PM
Another thing to add one club that might work for your buddy has a chance it wont work for you. I can hit hybrids but I feel move comfortable hitting a traditional iron. You'll notice also that some brands just work for you and others dont. EVERYBODY and their dog likes taylormade but I just dont seem to hit them as well as some others out there.

rizfarmer
03-19-2009, 07:56 PM
This Saturday, March 21, there is a ping demo at Ted and Dave's at RCGA, I would definately check it out. You can demo the Raptures there.... You may also like the G10's being a beginner. I bought the i10's last year at this same demo. Ted is great and really knows his stuff... plus he matched golf town's price on a custom set of clubs that the Ping Tech fit me for!

CaptainReboot
03-19-2009, 08:20 PM
I have Nike Slingshots (last year's model) and I love them. They are also in the Game Improvement category.

http://www.golftown.com/gtcommerce/stores/1/Nike-Slingshot-4D-Irons-Graphite-P6360C0.aspx for graphite or

http://www.golftown.com/gtcommerce/stores/1/Nike-Slingshot-4D-Irons-Steel-P6361C0.aspx for steel.

They're on sale at Golf Town. But would definitely spend as much time with the different sets as you can. I don't even carry a driver in my bag anymore. I can hit just as far as my buddies with my hybrid, and more accurately.

Mitsu3000gt
03-20-2009, 08:48 AM
Thanks for the suggestions so far guys. I'm heading out to Golf Town tomorrow and will be picking something up.

What I am still wondering about, is when I go try out the clubs, I am pretty bad at hitting in general, so I don't know how I am going to be able to properly evaluate a club at all really. I could see how it would be easy if you could hit with good consistency, then you could just go through a lineup of clubs and easily pick the one you like the best regardless of brand.

I might have a bad bunch of shots with what would actually be the clubs that work best for me, get lucky on a few swings with a set of clubs that don't normally work well for me, and then I would dismiss the better set as an option based on my testing. Its frustrating because at the same time, buying solely based on technicals doesn't seem like a great plan either.

bigboom
03-20-2009, 09:25 AM
Thanks for the suggestions so far guys. I'm heading out to Golf Town tomorrow and will be picking something up.

What I am still wondering about, is when I go try out the clubs, I am pretty bad at hitting in general, so I don't know how I am going to be able to properly evaluate a club at all really. I could see how it would be easy if you could hit with good consistency, then you could just go through a lineup of clubs and easily pick the one you like the best regardless of brand.

I might have a bad bunch of shots with what would actually be the clubs that work best for me, get lucky on a few swings with a set of clubs that don't normally work well for me, and then I would dismiss the better set as an option based on my testing. Its frustrating because at the same time, buying solely based on technicals doesn't seem like a great plan either.

i wouldnt worry about it too much...just go when it isnt too busy and just take your time. the only thing you should do is make sure that you get fit for length and lie

Mitsu3000gt
03-22-2009, 04:20 AM
Ok so I went shopping for clubs yesterday....

First I go to the Golf Town in Shawnessey and had an absolutely terrible experience. The guy helping didn't know the first thing about golf, and showed me three sets of the wrong clubs before I found him the ones I wanted to look at. I had to go on the internet and show him what clubs I wanted to look at get the SKU, and find them myself. I knew more than he did, and my golf knowledge basically consists of 30 min of internet research. So I finally got the 2009 TM Burners and the Ping G10's in the golf simulator with me, after about 10 minutes of going back and forth between a few different clubs (I let anyone who showed up interrupt me to test their club) I heard an employee make some comment of how I was taking too long. Apparently 10 min is too long to test out multiple sets of clubs before you spend $1000. So, I left the simulator and my salesperson was nowhere to be found at all, and nobody else would help me. I guess they aren't on commission? I got frustrated, left, and went to Golf Plus on McLeod across from Toys R Us in the South. A night and day difference there, knowledgeable staff, the TM Burners were $150 cheaper (somehow?), the Callaway X22's were $50 cheaper, and the Ping G10's were the same price. They actually knew what they were talking about, encouraged me to take my time testing the clubs, answered all of my questions in full, and told me to come back on April 1 when they get their Ping sizing charts and such in for yet another testing session/sizing. I was very impressed, and certainly did not expect them to be cheaper than Golf Town, especially by such a large margin on some sets. Long story short, I will never go to Golf Town again (at least the Shawnessey location), and I highly recommend Golf Plus to anyone looking for some new golf equipment.

vengie
03-22-2009, 04:31 AM
get fitted for clubs! that is more important then the clubs themselves!
you can find a very generic expensive set and have a shit game, or have a lower end set properly fit and have the best game ever... either way what you end up going, spend the time/ money to get properly fit!

Mitsu3000gt
03-22-2009, 09:35 AM
Originally posted by vengie
get fitted for clubs! that is more important then the clubs themselves!
you can find a very generic expensive set and have a shit game, or have a lower end set properly fit and have the best game ever... either way what you end up going, spend the time/ money to get properly fit!

Yes that is what I've been told...get fitted for length right away, but its apparently the "lie" that you shouldn't get fitted until you have a consistent swing because they need to actually bend the club.

Pacman
03-22-2009, 10:03 AM
have you considered getting fitted for the Ping color chart and then buying a used set of Ping Eye 2's? You can probably pick up a set for $250 (in the steel heads, a bit more for the BeCu heads) and then play then for a few years and sell them for exactly what you paid or perhaps even make a profit on them.

Chances you , you will just keep them as they really are one of the best irons out there and a few PGA tour players still play them.

http://valueguide.pga.com/detail-exec/brand/2736/product_type/205/model/45820/shaft_type/2/b/Ping/p/Iron%20set/m/Eye%202%20Beryllium%20Copper

Just look at the right hand side for the "top 10 club searches" and the Eye 2's are at the very top (this includes, irons, drivers, putters, wedges)

Mitsu3000gt
03-22-2009, 03:51 PM
^^^ Its an interesting idea for sure - my friend actually has that exact same set, so I could try them out to see if I like them.

Otherwise, I have it nailed down to 3 sets:

Ping G10
Taylor Made Burner
Callaway X22

It might be too early for anyone to comment after having used them, but if you have I'd love to hear your opinion.

wingku
03-23-2009, 11:06 AM
yeah GolfPlus is pretty awesome. Locally own and very friendly, helpful staffs.

Impreza
03-23-2009, 11:26 AM
Have you tried out any of the mizuno's? Nothing beats the feel of forged haha.

Mitsu3000gt
03-23-2009, 12:58 PM
Originally posted by Impreza
Have you tried out any of the mizuno's? Nothing beats the feel of forged haha.

I haven't, and all of the forged clubs seem to be geared toward lower handicap golfers. I definitely need a game-improvement set, but not super game improvement, as I want to keep these clubs for a long time and I should hope I get a bit better over time lol.

My biggest problem by far is not knowing how good I am hitting with a particular club - golf town was good for that assuming the simulators were accurate, but they don't like you using the simulators for more than a couple of minutes. At golf plus they just have a net and no simulator, so what feels like a good shot to me might be crap, and vise versa. Ideally I'd be able to take a few of each brand of club to a driving range somewhere for an afternoon.

Impreza
03-23-2009, 01:24 PM
The Mizuno MX-series are pretty forgiving and are well suited for higher handicap players. They may not work for you, but you should definitely give them a try!!

You should head to the RCGA and demo some sets on the range, much better than any simulator imo.

bigboom
03-23-2009, 02:35 PM

I haven't, and all of the forged clubs seem to be geared toward lower handicap golfers. I definitely need a game-improvement set, but not super game improvement, as I want to keep these clubs for a long time and I should hope I get a bit better over time lol.

My biggest problem by far is not knowing how good I am hitting with a particular club - golf town was good for that assuming the simulators were accurate, but they don't like you using the simulators for more than a couple of minutes. At golf plus they just have a net and no simulator, so what feels like a good shot to me might be crap, and vise versa. Ideally I'd be able to take a few of each brand of club to a driving range somewhere for an afternoon.

Go talk to Ted down at the RCGA. He will fit you and he has demo clubs down there that he can fit you with. THere's no charge for fitting either if you purchase your equipment through him, this way you can see full ball flight too.

Mitsu3000gt
03-23-2009, 03:09 PM
Originally posted by bigboom

Go talk to Ted down at the RCGA. He will fit you and he has demo clubs down there that he can fit you with. THere's no charge for fitting either if you purchase your equipment through him, this way you can see full ball flight too.

Thanks, it sounds like a place I should definitely check out. Do they sell all the main brands? Ideally I would try out a couple of every brand I am looking at for a decent amount of time and then make a decision. The web site suggests that the range is outdoors though, so I don't know if I'd be able to try anything out unless I waited a while for it to warm up a bit and the snow to melt.

sCream
03-23-2009, 03:30 PM
Also, be sure to check out the golf show, which is either this week or next week in calgary (check pga of alberta website to make sure). I went to the show in edmonton this weekend and all the big brand names are there with their demo booths (only Taylormade wasnt there) so you can hit any club you want

Mitsu3000gt
03-23-2009, 03:50 PM
^^ Thanks.

I also had another thought. What is the general consensus about 100% custom made clubs? My guess is its not worth it unless I was way better at golf with a consistently repeatable swing?

bigboom
03-23-2009, 07:21 PM
^^ Thanks.

I also had another thought. What is the general consensus about 100% custom made clubs? My guess is its not worth it unless I was way better at golf with a consistently repeatable swing?

custom made clubs are a decent way to go if you have the time to put into practice. most custom clubs like kzg, miura, vega dont have super game improvement clubs, the have smaller heads, smaller cavity backs and are geared towards "more serious" golfers. reason i say that is you need to find a shaft and it will be more expensive than just going with an OEM

down at ted's they carry the main OEM's, taylormade, ping, mizuno, cobra, titleist and callaway.

Impreza
03-23-2009, 10:49 PM

Thanks, it sounds like a place I should definitely check out. Do they sell all the main brands? Ideally I would try out a couple of every brand I am looking at for a decent amount of time and then make a decision. The web site suggests that the range is outdoors though, so I don't know if I'd be able to try anything out unless I waited a while for it to warm up a bit and the snow to melt.

I think the RCGA has heated booths, I could be wrong though.

Mitsu3000gt
03-23-2009, 10:58 PM

I think the RCGA has heated booths, I could be wrong though.

Ok, well that sounds good. I'll check it out this weekend if at all possible. Thanks for the suggestions.

I highly suspect I will be ending up with either the burners, g10's, or X22's. I did notice the G10's were significantly lighter than the burners, but I'm not sure if that's a good/bad thing or just preference.

bigboom
03-23-2009, 11:07 PM

Ok, well that sounds good. I'll check it out this weekend if at all possible. Thanks for the suggestions.

I highly suspect I will be ending up with either the burners, g10's, or X22's. I did notice the G10's were significantly lighter than the burners, but I'm not sure if that's a good/bad thing or just preference.

swingweight is personal preference mainly. you will find that the better you get and smoother your swing you will prefer a heavier swingweight so you can feel the clubhead when you are trying to create a different ballflight.

Impreza
03-24-2009, 10:07 PM
So, has anybody seen any good deals lately on last years stuff?

sCream
03-24-2009, 10:34 PM
So, has anybody seen any good deals lately on last years stuff?

Go to the golf show, lots of good deals. My buddy bought last years TM Burner Irons for 400, and last years TM Burner Rescue Hybrid for 70

Impreza
03-24-2009, 10:44 PM
^You can buy clubs at the golf show? I assumed it was more of a demo day/week, where you can try all the new stuff.

Anyone know where and when this is taking place?

sCream
03-24-2009, 10:59 PM
^You can buy clubs at the golf show? I assumed it was more of a demo day/week, where you can try all the new stuff.

Anyone know where and when this is taking place?

http://www.albertapga.com/site/calgary_consumer_show

Theres a clearance section in the show

Mitsu3000gt
03-25-2009, 10:07 AM
I may have to check out that show - thanks for posting that.

sCream
03-25-2009, 10:19 AM
Also keep in mind that all the good stuff gets sold first, so get there early

Mitsu3000gt
03-25-2009, 10:40 AM
Originally posted by sCream
Also keep in mind that all the good stuff gets sold first, so get there early

Yes, I'm sure you are correct. So much for sleeping in on Saturday. Apparently just for going you get 2 free green fees at 2 different courses though - thats pretty cool.

will_e_chill
03-25-2009, 11:03 AM
If you're still looking for golf gear, go see Bill at the Sunridge Golf Town.

He's a buddy and should give you some good direction.

I started out with custom clubs which were graphite and forgiving.

I wouldn't spend the extra premium again though. You can get good clubs off the shelf.

You should go for a forgiving (flexible) shaft and oversized club heads.

You could also go with hybrids instead of a 3 and 4 iron.

If I was starting out I would buy a good set from last year. You should get a good discount and the technology wouldn't have changed that much.

Good luck and spend twice as much time at the range as you do on the course.

Practice, practice, practice...

Impreza
03-28-2009, 10:14 PM
Anybody go check out the golf show?

Mitsu3000gt
03-29-2009, 01:47 AM
Well, I went to the golf show and ended up picking up some clubs. The golf show was very weak other than the clearance section. 99% of the show was just booths set up by golf courses and resorts.

I got a brand new set of last year's Ping Raptures steel shaft (4-9, P & U) for $650, a $259 Ping bag for $139, and a $20 Ping glove for $10 lol.

I went to the golf dome after and I'm extremely happy with them, from my limited testing, I noticed I was already hitting straighter and further (assuming the simulator was right at Golf Town) than I was with the other clubs I tried.

Thanks again for everyone's help, and had someone not mentioned the golf show I'd never have gone and picked up these clubs.

Now I just need to find a driver...I decided not to buy one at the show because I figured I should try some out first. I also need a putter, but I'll probably just go out and buy the cheapest putter I can find because I've never been able to tell the difference between putters other than that some require more swing effort which is easily compensated for.

Impreza
03-29-2009, 01:06 PM
Congrats on the good purchases! I didn't end up going yesterday to the show, and I figure by now, most of the good deals are gone.... Awesome deal on those Raptures

sCream
03-29-2009, 01:32 PM
nice find! I wish we had a golf dome in edmonton still :(

Mitsu3000gt
03-30-2009, 01:24 PM
Thanks for the comments.

Does anyone have any opinions on last years Rapture Driver (available for $250)? or the Nike SUmo 5900 2 Driver? (Available for $200)?

I like the 2009 TM Burner driver but $350 is a little more than I want to spend.

Any other suggestions besides the above? I'd like to get a driver before all the sales are over or picked through.

In retrospect, I should have picked something out at the golf show - they also had the Raptrue 5W for $75 as well but I didn't buy it because I was unsure if I wanted a hybrid, fairway woods, or nothing. I usually just use the 4 iron.

Thanks again for all the help.

modded46
03-30-2009, 01:58 PM
I picked up a TM R7 CGB and I absolutely love it.. Highly recommended but I also tried the Sumo 5900 and I think they are very comparable.. All depends on your "feel" for the club.

sCream
03-30-2009, 03:04 PM
Last year I tried out all the main drivers on the market, and ended up going with the TM Burner because it was very easy to hit/forgiving. Just go to golftown and try some of last yrs models out, I know the 08 burner is on sale, can't remember the price tho.

Mitsu3000gt
03-30-2009, 03:52 PM
Last year I tried out all the main drivers on the market, and ended up going with the TM Burner because it was very easy to hit/forgiving. Just go to golftown and try some of last yrs models out, I know the 08 burner is on sale, can't remember the price tho.

Yeah I might have to do that, all the 08 stuff is around 225-250.

Golf Plus told me I could take the clubs to an actual range to try them out, if I just left them my credit card, however I don't know what they have for 2008 stuff.

Thanks.

Impreza
03-30-2009, 04:26 PM
You might want to try the Callaway FT-i. It really does keep the ball straight and is pretty forgiving. I use it now and I love it. I liked the FT-5 as well, but I wanted the straightness of the FT-i and am willing to sacrifice a bit of distance. The Ping G10 was pretty forgiving too.

sCream
03-30-2009, 07:10 PM
We should just start a "what's in the bag thread" haha

Mitsu3000gt
03-31-2009, 10:10 AM
Thanks guys.

I think I will go try the following drivers:

Ping G10
Callaway FT-i
Nike 5900
Taylor Made Burner
Cleaveland HiBore XLS

The ping Rapture driver (2008) is on sale too, but it doesn't seem to get as good feedback as the G10.

Hopefully I can't tell the difference between the 2008 and 2009 models lol, or it will cost me another $100.

OR, I could just save myself some hassle and just order a Callaway FT-i right now for $248 off of Golf Town's website. It only comes in 9.5 degree and stiff shaft though - is that the only way the Callaway FT-i comes? I won't be able to afford the 2009 models in the Callaway.

sCream
03-31-2009, 10:21 AM
Thanks guys.

OR, I could just save myself some hassle and just order a Callaway FT-i right now for $248 off of Golf Town's website. It only comes in 9.5 degree and stiff shaft though - is that the only way the Callaway FT-i comes? I won't be able to afford the 2009 models in the Callaway.

Definately dont buy this on a whim. Especially if its a 9.5/stiff. If your just starting out, your ball striking probably isnt the greatest, and your club head speed probably isnt that fast either. That stiff flex wont be very forgiving and the 9.5 will keep your ball flight low.

Of course this is all assuming your not getting a club head speed of ~95-100+ mph, in which case a stiff flex would really benefit you.

Mitsu3000gt
03-31-2009, 10:35 AM

Definately dont buy this on a whim. Especially if its a 9.5/stiff. If your just starting out, your ball striking probably isnt the greatest, and your club head speed probably isnt that fast either. That stiff flex wont be very forgiving and the 9.5 will keep your ball flight low.

Of course this is all assuming your not getting a club head speed of ~95-100+ mph, in which case a stiff flex would really benefit you.

Yeah I'm sure you're right - I'll just go try them all out if possible, although last time I hit the simulator at golf town they couldn't wait to get me out of there. I do have a habit of swinging as hard as I can, so I might be getting 95-100mph out of the club lol, but it certainly isn't controlled.

thorin33
03-31-2009, 10:58 AM
I used to think that any putter would do. I finally splurged on a Ping Redwood putter last year and noiticed an immediate improvement to my putting. Just wanted to put that out there that you shouldn't ignore the importance of putting. The putter is the one club that you use on every hole.

sCream
03-31-2009, 11:05 AM
Originally posted by thorin33
I used to think that any putter would do. I finally splurged on a Ping Redwood putter last year and noiticed an immediate improvement to my putting. Just wanted to put that out there that you shouldn't ignore the importance of putting. The putter is the one club that you use on every hole.

Agreed, i mean a 2-foot putt is equal to a 300 yard drive. Haha, golf is great

Mitsu3000gt
03-31-2009, 11:06 AM

Thanks for the comment. I will definitely be going to try out a bunch of putters. That seems to be the one thing golf town is good for, is that they have a giant putting green and free reign on all of their putters. That, hopefully, will be an easy decision after some testing (unless, of course, they kick me off of the putting green too :rofl: )

Impreza
03-31-2009, 03:07 PM
We should just start a "what's in the bag thread" haha

I was thinking the same thing! Maybe I will do that later

Mitsu3000gt
03-31-2009, 03:27 PM

You shoud call it the great "2009 Bag-Off" haha.

bigboom
03-31-2009, 03:37 PM

Yeah I'm sure you're right - I'll just go try them all out if possible, although last time I hit the simulator at golf town they couldn't wait to get me out of there. I do have a habit of swinging as hard as I can, so I might be getting 95-100mph out of the club lol, but it certainly isn't controlled.

just cuz you swing hard doesnt mean you swing fast ;)
you can swing as hard as you want but its all about how fast you swing.

and i echo the putter, while im not saying that you need to spend $300 on a putter you want one that suits your eye and stroke more than anything. i have a good collection of high end putters and my favorite one is probably the cheapest one out of my collection. that being said check out the For Sale forum if youre interested in my Scotty Cameron studio select for sale :)

For the FT-i the only reason golf town shows those is because the ft-i is last years driver and they are only selling what they have left. its been replaced with the ft - iq. you'll also be pleasantly surprised with the g10, i hit that longer than the rapture v2.

Mitsu3000gt
03-31-2009, 04:37 PM
I will try out your putter at Golf Town when I go there, and if I really like it I'll be interested in the used one you have for sale.

As for the drivers, I can't find anywhere that has last year's G10 for sale unfortunately. I'm looking at $350 if I start looking at 2009 drivers. I'd pay that only if I could tell a significant difference between 2008 and 2009 stuff and at my skill level I'm not sure I would.

Thanks again for all the help.

thorin33
03-31-2009, 05:15 PM
Agreed that you don't need to spend $300 on a putter. I bought mine gently used for $140. I went to Golftown and tried a bunch of putters and then tried to find a used one of the one that I liked.

....actually I think it was you (bigboom) that I bought the putter from.

sCream
03-31-2009, 05:29 PM

done!

Impreza
03-31-2009, 07:58 PM
I agree on the putter part. A putter that gives you confidence and a good feel is incredibly important.

bigboom
03-31-2009, 10:49 PM
Agreed that you don't need to spend $300 on a putter. I bought mine gently used for $140. I went to Golftown and tried a bunch of putters and then tried to find a used one of the one that I liked.

....actually I think it was you (bigboom) that I bought the putter from.

haha was it my redwood?

Mitsu3000gt
04-06-2009, 08:50 AM
So I tried out a driver on the weekend, the 10.5 degree Callaway Big Bertha Diablo. Golf Plus didn't have their Ping G10 or TM Burners in yet but they should be available the middle of this week. The Callaway FT-iQ sure looked sweet but I'm not going to pay $550 for a driver lol.

The Diablo was definitely the easiest driver I've ever hit, and I couldn't believe how straight most of my balls were given my inexperience - many of them dead straight all the way to the back of the dome. The shaft felt overly long though (lol). Not all the shots were straight though, and it was a "draw" driver. Its also on the golf digest hot list for 2009 along with my other two options. It seemed as though any shot I hit even reasonably well went straight enough that it would be on the fairway in a real game. All I really care about is how easy it is to hit straight because all of these clubs are going to be able to get good distance if I can hit it properly.

Mitsu3000gt
04-08-2009, 11:12 AM
So I just noticed that Golf Town has a much larger selection of last year's Callaway FT-i drivers on sale for $248 and they are not all stiff shaft this time.

http://www.golftown.com/gtcommerce/stores/1/Callaway-FT-i-Neutral-Driver-P4396C395.aspx

Anyone used these before? Any idea how it would compare to to the cheaper 2009 stuff i.e. TM Burner, Ping G10, etc?

I wouldn't mind saving $100 if this is a better club.

EDIT: Golf digest seems to think the 2009 burner is better than pretty much every driver out there, so I think I will wait to try that one out.

bigboom
04-08-2009, 11:56 AM
i cant get used to hitting a square head. and square heads spin too much for me to use if i want distance.

from what i've been hearing the burners have had a lot of quality control issues with the face caving in. the club i would reccomend most is the g10, that thing is a beast. it works a lot better for me than a lot of the "premium" drivers out there.

if youre concerned about shaft length though Ping always uses shafts that are 45.75" long whereas most other OEM's use a 45" shaft.

Mitsu3000gt
04-08-2009, 01:26 PM
Thats good information - thanks.

I highly suspect it will be between the Ping G10 and the TM Burner, but the face caving in issue worries me a bit - it can't be that common is it? I would think TM would give you a new one?

The Callaway Diablo is still on the list as what surprised me the most about that one is how straight the balls went which is all I really care about.

Apparently the G10 and the Burner should be available for me to try this weekend from Golf Plus, so I will be doing that.

I don't think I'm experienced enough yet to have a preference in club shaft length.

Golf Plus also had a fairly large selection of $10 putters there, so I might see if by chance I like one of them and save some money there.

bigboom
04-08-2009, 02:53 PM
Thats good information - thanks.

I highly suspect it will be between the Ping G10 and the TM Burner, but the face caving in issue worries me a bit - it can't be that common is it? I would think TM would give you a new one?

The Callaway Diablo is still on the list as what surprised me the most about that one is how straight the balls went which is all I really care about.

Apparently the G10 and the Burner should be available for me to try this weekend from Golf Plus, so I will be doing that.

I don't think I'm experienced enough yet to have a preference in club shaft length.

Golf Plus also had a fairly large selection of $10 putters there, so I might see if by chance I like one of them and save some money there.

It probably wont be an issue with the caving for a slower swing speed player. My suspicions are that in order to get such a hot face they had to go too thin on the face metal and thats why its caving when higher swing speed players hit them. It's not ahuge issue as there is warranty its just something to be aware of.

and with the putter, it's been said before, find a putter that works for you, if its a $10 putter great. just keep in mind the putter is going to be a club you wont want to switch out all the time. you want to stick with a putter for consistency so if there is anywhere id suggest spending more money is your putter.

with your driver are you really going to care if you are 2 yards shorter than new clubs? probably not...but you will care if you buy a cheap putter that has odd hot spots and weird weighting.

Mitsu3000gt
04-08-2009, 04:26 PM
All of that makes sense - I definitely won't be buying a $10 putter unless I really like it, the cost will simply be a bonus if I do.

Thanks again for all your help, I will report back this weekend after hopefully testing out the new drivers.

Mitsu3000gt
04-19-2009, 10:15 AM
OK so I finally got out to test the Ping G10 against the TM Burner on an actual driving range (I don't like the golf dome's tees). Also last time I went to the golf dome in 30 min I literally could not believe how few shots I even hit, maybe 1 good one (this was probably just me though).

I took the G10 and Burner out to McKenzie Meadows driving range and tried them both out. As soon as I got my swing dialed in, I couldn't believe how well I was hitting. I've never hit more consistently or as far in my life - definitely some out to ~300yd dead straight. Both drivers were fantastic, and I would be happy with both, but I hit the straightest and furthest balls overall with the Burner, so I chose that. I am extremely happy with it.

I also tried out a bunch of putters, and settled on a $10 Goliath putter (Normally $50). I tried out a bunch of $150-$200 putters so many times I lost count, and I found there to be absolutely no difference (to me) between them and the $10 putter. I was sinking exactly the same shots, and was equally as consistent. Maybe later I will buy a more expensive putter, but for now, it would seem that better putters have absolutely no effect on my performance. If I change my mind, I'm only out $10 lol.

Anyways thanks again for everyone's help here, sCream, Impreza & bigboom you have been a huge help and I appreciate it.

sCream
04-20-2009, 10:26 AM
nice choice! Welcome to the burner family :thumbsup: