PDA

View Full Version : CUSA - Calgary Soccer?

liquid1010
03-18-2009, 12:50 PM
I was just wondering if anyone here plays in the CUSA league? I've played rec soccer here and there for years, and am looking to join a team this year, but am struggling to define what Division I should be playing in.

Does anyone have any experience with the quality and style of play of the various divisions? I'm thinking I'm probably Div4, but any advice/information would be great.

badatusrnames
03-18-2009, 12:56 PM
I played Div 1 CUSA for a few years and a couple of seasons in Premier. Never played rec.

I guess the first thing to ask is how long have you played? Most guys that level and above have played since childhood.

Second, what is your fitness level/athleticism? In the higher tiers the guys are going to be in better shape and the speed of the game is a bit quicker, you definitely have to be able to keep up.

If you've only picked up soccer in adulthood, Div 4/5 should work. You might want to try to get on with a club that has several teams spread across a few divisions. They might be able to place you better.

liquid1010
03-18-2009, 01:02 PM
I've played soccer on and off since Junior High, and I'm 27 now - So i'd be somewhere in the middle.

sk8r3124
03-18-2009, 02:15 PM
I coach a team in div 4. And all of us have played since childhood. We have a couple guys on the team that were strictly "rec" players, and believe me, they stick out from the rest of us. If we end up having open practices/tryouts, I will contact you and that way you can guage what level you are at within cusa.

r3ccOs
03-18-2009, 02:19 PM
CUSA is quite competitive

I've played Div 2 for the Callies when I was younger, then went to Eastside Div 3A and now will play for a brand new Div 6 team

DIV 3 & Higher definitely requires dedication and a solid mix of athleticism, hard work and skill.

I decided to play with a DIV6 team cause I can't commit to 2 practices a week and that I could help bring the team right up to challenge 4.

But, look for any open tryouts

liquid1010
03-18-2009, 03:18 PM
I have opportunities for tryouts with a Div4 and Div5 teams - so I'm hoping that gives me an indicator as to what level I should be playing at.

Are there any differences among 4A 4B and 4C?

sk8r3124
03-18-2009, 03:44 PM
not really any differences. Before there used to be alot of div 6 divisions, and most of the time the teams in there were much better than Div 6. You just have start at the bottom, even if you are a premiere team. PARS ALUMNI started from the bottom when I entered cusa, and now they are a top team. So over time, things have evened out, and most of those teams have settled in div 4.