PDA

View Full Version : B16A upgrads?

CUMMINGTONCIVIC
03-18-2009, 02:53 PM
i have a 99 civic SiR and was wondering about some upgrading or modifications to the engine or car that i could do to squeze some more pefromance out of it without getting too serious (like putting in turbo or tearing apart the engine). for example, i hear new header and cat back is the best thing to do to a B16a, is there anything else that is good and what aparts are good.
Thanks

Aniki
03-18-2009, 03:12 PM
honda-tech.com

the search button is your friend.

Mr_ET
03-18-2009, 03:13 PM
Hytech replica header
aem v2 cold air intake
omni power test pipe
greddy sp2 exhaust
ITR cams (or aftermarket stage 1) with skunk2 cam gears
conversion to obd1 chipped p28
tuning

YamahaV8
03-18-2009, 03:39 PM
Originally posted by Mr_ET
Hytech replica header
aem v2 cold air intake
omni power test pipe
greddy sp2 exhaust
tuning

Done this before have you :D

Byers_2k
03-18-2009, 03:51 PM
Buy a b18 or b20 bottom end and put your b16a1 head on it, you have yourself a ls v-tech motor.

ls/vtec-crx
03-18-2009, 03:54 PM
Injen Cold Air Intake
DC Sports 4-1 Header
T1R Test Pipe
T1R 65mm Cat-Back Exhaust
Skunk2 Pro-Series Stage 1 Cams (run stock cam gears)
Skunk2 Intake Manifold
Skunk2 65mm Throttle Body
Hondata Intake Manifold Gasket
ACT 8lbs Flywheel
ACT Clutch
Unorthodox Crank Pulley & Underdrive Pulleys
Hondata S300

That is about every naturally aspirated mod you could do without having to do pistons/rods/turbo/supercharger.

But everyone has their own opinion on what manufacturer to use for parts.

reese
03-19-2009, 11:46 AM
Originally posted by Mr_ET
Hytech replica header
aem v2 cold air intake
omni power test pipe
greddy sp2 exhaust
tuning

Originally posted by YamahaV8

Done this before have you :D

he does know his stuff....

kolumbo69
03-19-2009, 02:17 PM
Before you spend Money I would put a plan togather of what you want now and our building for. Otherwise you end up bleeding money and don't end up with you want. Ie daily driver/ track car, turbo or na and most of all budget

Aniki: wtf kinda response is that. Their is lot of good honda builders on this site, if you have nothing to add stfu. thanx

Aniki
03-19-2009, 10:03 PM
Originally posted by kolumbo69
Before you spend Money I would put a plan togather of what you want now and our building for. Otherwise you end up bleeding money and don't end up with you want. Ie daily driver/ track car, turbo or na and most of all budget

Aniki: wtf kinda response is that. Their is lot of good honda builders on this site, if you have nothing to add stfu. thanx

:facepalm:

crach
03-19-2009, 11:07 PM
best bang for buck is cams and header ......... get a good header as recommended on here and some cams too adn it wil be the best bet..... and intake manifold and some tuning.....

89s1
03-19-2009, 11:59 PM
power from a b16a comes in the high rpm. Anything you do should be centralized around gaining high rpm torque.

don't ever expect it to have good grunt, its just not what it's made for.

I would suggest increasing compression, adding cams (skunk2 stage 2) then get vavletrain and a really good intake and exhaust combo to get the air in and the fumes out as fast as possible.

Darkane
03-20-2009, 02:51 PM
Naaawww-z?

LilDrunkenSmurf
03-20-2009, 03:21 PM
Originally posted by Aniki

Thanks for coming out. If you don't want to add anything useful, don't post at all. If you want to post useless things, go down to social, and stop trying to get your post count up.

To the OP:

I had a b16a, and I loved ripping around in it all day long. My engine mod list included:

AEM Short ram intake
Apexi WS Catback
Megan high-flow cat (T1R is 3", this is 2.5")
Greddy 4-2-1 header (2.5")
I also had some underdriven pulleys that were really more for show than anything, and a chipped p28 that I was going to use to get tuned on.

I would honestly listen to Mr_ET in this scenario, as he's modded quite a few hondas, and it doesn't require cracking the block open.

Mr_ET
03-20-2009, 03:47 PM
^ thx man but I did forget the intake manifold ls/vtec-crx
pointed out the mods I would also recommend for that.

At this altitude with those mods, I would expect about 150-155whp and about 105 tq.

The B16a is a great engine if you road race a car and are looking for decent balance and excellent handling characteristics as it's the least heavy of the B series engines.

If you want more power I would start with more displacement.

If you want to make good power with a B series Honda engine N/A, you need to raise the compression, run agressive cams, raise the displacement and find a way to get as much air in and out of the engine as fast as you can.

Aniki
03-21-2009, 05:34 PM
Originally posted by LilDrunkenSmurf

Thanks for coming out. If you don't want to add anything useful, don't post at all. If you want to post useless things, go down to social, and stop trying to get your post count up.

To the OP:

I had a b16a, and I loved ripping around in it all day long. My engine mod list included:

AEM Short ram intake
Apexi WS Catback
Megan high-flow cat (T1R is 3", this is 2.5")
Greddy 4-2-1 header (2.5")
I also had some underdriven pulleys that were really more for show than anything, and a chipped p28 that I was going to use to get tuned on.

I would honestly listen to Mr_ET in this scenario, as he's modded quite a few hondas, and it doesn't require cracking the block open.

lol

suggesting that he visit an informative site like honda-tech.com to do his own research is a useless post?

ok douche :thumbsup: whatever you say.

to the op, honda-tech.com has way more information than a single individual can give you here. Look at a bunch of different b16a2 builds on honda-tech and find something that interests you. Good luck to you and your bank account! :clap: :clap: :clap:

dj_honda
03-21-2009, 06:02 PM
you can't run any cams other than stock (MAYBE gsr) without doing valvesprings....so it depends on your definition of "tearing the engine apart".

89s1
03-21-2009, 06:54 PM
gsr cams aren't an upgrade for a b16a though. No reason to switch to gsr cams in a b16a. They tend to increase midrange a tiny bit, and lose top end power.

The truth is, If you upgrade to an ITR/CTR intake cam then you can use the stock valvesprings as they are dual springs, but the exhaut side on a b16a uses single springs and is where there might be problem.

If using a ctr/itr intake cam on stock springs, stock rev limit should also reamin. Which kind of defeats the purpose of installing a more aggresive cam in the first place.

Mr_ET
03-21-2009, 07:45 PM
most stage 1 cams can reuse stock valvetrain components that's why I suggested that.

89s1
03-21-2009, 08:02 PM
Especially if the engine has lower km's the springs tend to lose "springiness" over time. :thumbsup:

Edit:
I just don't think skunk2 stage 1 cams are a good enough cam to make really good smile on your face power (especially in an EK chassis)

skunk stage 2 minimun for an n/a b16. As ricer as it sounds, you should be rapping off a 9,000 rpm limiter if you're making good power in a b16a.

Double edit:
buddy club bc3+ cams are also a really good cam that can retain stock valvetarin.

Darkane
03-21-2009, 08:17 PM
Mr_ET hammered it. Listen to him, he's wise. Like a jedi except he doesn't have a cool cloak.

The B16A has to rev unfortunately. Obviously you want to stay NA?

This is what I'd do, Drive your car.

On the side build a b20 block. It can be done CHEAP. Stock rods, with ARP bolts and RS machines 84.5mm ITR replica pistons.

Can probably do all that for 1k or so. Maybe more I don't know, but not much.

Slap it together, Tune it. Then you can do the Hytech header and ITR cams. Hello 200+Whp uncorrected ;)

EDIT: You can also buy 84mm ITR rep's and not do any machine work. Just hone the piston bore for an even greater budget build! 500-600bucks tops lol.

Double EDIT: Just re-read his post, he doesn't want anything serious. Tuning might even be out of the question.

Mr_ET
03-21-2009, 08:29 PM
Originally posted by 89s1
Especially if the engine has lower km's the springs tend to lose "springiness" over time. :thumbsup:

Edit:
I just don't think skunk2 stage 1 cams are a good enough cam to make really good smile on your face power (especially in an EK chassis)

skunk stage 2 minimun for an n/a b16. As ricer as it sounds, you should be rapping off a 9,000 rpm limiter if you're making good power in a b16a.

Double edit:
buddy club bc3+ cams are also a really good cam that can retain stock valvetarin.

Totally agree with you man, the reality is without ripping the engine open you won't make a lot of power with a B16 but if you're leaving it stock and want to do cams for an extra 5whp stage 1 cams are the way to go lol.

lhatton
03-21-2009, 08:41 PM

Double edit:

I would not run any aftermarket cam with stock valve springs.
I run these cams and they work well with the B16. Dont expect gobs of power above 8500 rpm though. I shift at 8800 at the highest.

Higher compression with intake and exhaust mods with cams with gain you 20+ wheel horse. Torqueless wonder they are though. My only advantage is it's in a 1800lb chassis.

89s1
03-21-2009, 08:44 PM
no, bc3+ cams are definatly more midrange oriented.

I'm honestly suprised you shift that high, I looked into them for my old b16a and was going to stick with an 8500 rev limit.

lhatton
03-21-2009, 10:03 PM
Ive tried all sorts of shift points. It seemed to work best for my setup at that rpm. your setup may differ.
I have tried as high as 9000, but the mph was lower in the quarter mile.

dj_honda
03-23-2009, 01:06 AM
gsr cams aren't an upgrade for a b16a though. No reason to switch to gsr cams in a b16a. They tend to increase midrange a tiny bit, and lose top end power.

The truth is, If you upgrade to an ITR/CTR intake cam then you can use the stock valvesprings as they are dual springs, but the exhaut side on a b16a uses single springs and is where there might be problem.

If using a ctr/itr intake cam on stock springs, stock rev limit should also reamin. Which kind of defeats the purpose of installing a more aggresive cam in the first place.

gsr cams are an upgrade. it may not make the most sense money-wise going from a b16 cam to a gsr cam, but the gsr cam will make more power if tuned correctly. the difference is small but its there. this is true to a larger degree when the motor is turbocharged.

i agree with lhatton. I would not run any aftermarket cam with stock valve springs.
A stage 1 cam is usually a slightly modded version of an ITR/CTR cam. I personally would not run either on stock valvesprings unless they were the ITR springs with dual valvesprings on both Intake and exhaust, or you don't really rev your car at all...which defeats the point ..or dropping a valve is not an issue you care about.

LilDrunkenSmurf
03-24-2009, 01:08 PM
Originally posted by Aniki

lol

suggesting that he visit an informative site like honda-tech.com to do his own research is a useless post?

ok douche :thumbsup: whatever you say.

to the op, honda-tech.com has way more information than a single individual can give you here. Look at a bunch of different b16a2 builds on honda-tech and find something that interests you. Good luck to you and your bank account! :clap: :clap: :clap:

Your "suggestion" was out of context. How was only posting the link supposed to say "Go visit honda-tech, it's a great source of information."

I love how warm and welcome this community is. Just because the questions been asked before, doesn't mean it can't be asked again. And all the information on honda-tech isn't relevant to a build based in Calgary, at high altitude. That's probably why he asked on a local forum.

And how do you know that some "individual" on this forum hasn't already sifted through all the crap on H-T, and can point the OP in the proper direction, saving him countless hours of wasted time?

But seriously.. Thanks for coming out.. Douche. :thumbsup:

EDIT:
Another quick question, why would we even HAVE a Performance modifications section, if it wasn't there to ask questions?

Aniki
03-24-2009, 01:38 PM
honda-tech << kinda explains itself? :dunno:

you make good points but i have nothing to gain from arguing with you

you have a good day sir :thumbsup:

CUMMINGTONCIVIC
03-26-2009, 11:23 AM
thanks for all the info, sounds great, but i was also wonder where is a good place to get some of these parts? in the city or online?
aswell with b16a mods i was curious of what you guys think of anything to improve my handling, cause i know i have factory sway bars and tower strut bar in the front and stiffer springs, but still i would like to know how much of an improve i would get from aftermaket peformance parts or replace factory ones.

LilDrunkenSmurf
03-26-2009, 11:36 AM
In my car, I had an ITR sway bar up front, koni yellows in the front, koni reds in the back, and h&R springs all around. Handled like a dream (IMO). I had a few other people drive it @ auto-x and was told it'd be a wicked solo2 car. Mind you this was on an EG, so the ITR may not work for your without a little work.

kolumbo69
03-27-2009, 08:54 PM
I had the megan racing fully adjustable coilovers I found them very decent for the price.