PDA

View Full Version : Do I need a spring compressor?

realazy
03-18-2009, 03:54 PM
I'm going to install an eibach pro-kit on my car soon and I was wondering if I would need a spring compressor?

I've heard people say it's possible w/o one.

If I do need one, I've heard people say I can rent/borrow one from Canadian Tire. Is this true?

Do I go up to the parts counter and just ask to rent one? or would they look at me and go "wtf?"

mr2mike
03-18-2009, 04:02 PM
Auto Value should rent them too. It's probably not a bad thing to have just in case it turns out you do need it. I hate starting something to find you don't have a tool to finish the job.

They'll know what you're talking about. Just go up there like you said.

AE92_TreunoSC
03-18-2009, 04:03 PM
Yup crappy tire or partsource have spring compressors to rent.

It would be a good idea to have someone help you that has done them before.

sr20s14zenki
03-20-2009, 05:59 AM
Ive heard of those springs taking people's heads off in certain occasions. Get a compressor, it makes life easy.

Mr_ET
03-20-2009, 06:23 AM
yes you will need one, crappy tire sells them for about $80 I think. Maybe try to rent one as mentioned if this is a one time only job for you.

Better safe than sorry!

benyl
03-20-2009, 07:35 AM
Auto Value gives them out for free. You just have to put a deposit down.

Doozer
03-20-2009, 09:26 AM
Originally posted by benyl
Auto Value gives them out for free. You just have to put a deposit down.
So does Crappy Tire. Free rental - you put a deposit, and get the whole thing back when you return the tool. I think I had 7 days.

I rented mine from the one in Beacon Hill - new store, new tools! Didn't look like it had ever been used before...

Thaco
03-20-2009, 10:02 AM
Originally posted by Mr_ET
yes you will need one, crappy tire sells them for about $80 I think. Maybe try to rent one as mentioned if this is a one time only job for you.

Better safe than sorry!

you dont NEED it, i ahve changed springs everal times with out one, its good to have, but not required... all we did was lay the shock on the floor, step on the spring on the shock we were removing, point the bottom of the shock at an open space in the shop, and hit the top nut with an impact gun, the shock would go flying across the room, but the spring would stay under your foot... getting it together is a bit more difficult, we just had the shock upright, put the spring on, the top plate on, and had one guy put all his weight on it, the other guy threaded on the nut. worked fine..

Idratherbsidewayz
03-20-2009, 10:09 AM
Originally posted by Thaco

you dont NEED it, i ahve changed springs everal times with out one, its good to have, but not required... all we did was lay the shock on the floor, step on the spring on the shock we were removing, point the bottom of the shock at an open space in the shop, and hit the top nut with an impact gun, the shock would go flying across the room, but the spring would stay under your foot... getting it together is a bit more difficult, we just had the shock upright, put the spring on, the top plate on, and had one guy put all his weight on it, the other guy threaded on the nut. worked fine..

LOL

So much easier with a spring compressor...

Thaco
03-20-2009, 10:10 AM
Originally posted by Idratherbsidewayz

LOL

So much easier with a spring compressor... which is why i said that it's good to have but you do not NEED one

n1zm0
03-20-2009, 11:12 AM

i have been part of this method when there were massive recalls for mdx front struts and one technician had done so many that day he just said lets do it here,

it took 3 of us to push the damned thing down to loosen the nut, then releasing it, it unsprung sideways awkwardly and all the gdamned ball bearings flew everywhere, on our knees looking for all the ball bearings, cleaned and lubed, put it back together, did the other one at the compressor lol

chkolny541
03-20-2009, 11:20 AM
yea not required, but preffered likely

Thaco
03-20-2009, 11:45 AM
Originally posted by n1zm0

i have been part of this method when there were massive recalls for mdx front struts and one technician had done so many that day he just said lets do it here,

it took 3 of us to push the damned thing down to loosen the nut, then releasing it, it unsprung sideways awkwardly and all the gdamned ball bearings flew everywhere, on our knees looking for all the ball bearings, cleaned and lubed, put it back together, did the other one at the compressor lol that's because you did it wrong, re-read my post.

n1zm0
03-20-2009, 11:52 AM
that's because you did it wrong, re-read my post.

i'm not saying we did it right, plus there wasn't really room to let a shock go flying in our shop lol, but i'll take safety over accidental flying struts impaling humans or automotive body panels anyday.

Mr_ET
03-20-2009, 12:35 PM

I say you NEED it because if you're asking if you need one to install springs it means you've never done a spring install before and if they do it your way they may injure themselves.

I can do it without a spring compressor too but I would NEVER recommend someone doing it for the first time not to do it with a spring compressor as I don't want to be held liable for the damage they might do not knowing.

PremiumRSX
03-22-2009, 08:56 PM
I say it depends on the car.

I don't use one for RSX.. I'm so confident that I loosen the top nut with impact gun with my face over it.