PDA

View Full Version : Power Rack

j.garner
03-19-2009, 09:08 AM
Is it just me or does it seem like alot of people use the squat racks and power racks to do bicep curls. This really bugs me when it is super busy at the gym say around 5 pm and im on legs day and cant do squats because someone wants to do 15 sets of bicep curls. sorry this is just a rant.

GQBalla
03-19-2009, 09:13 AM
this bugs the hell outta me -

i hate it also at gold gym when fools take the squat racks to do pushups and all this other stupid shit that they do where their 3 friends take up 2 squat racks for 30 + minutes

94CoRd
03-19-2009, 12:35 PM
Originally posted by GQBalla
this bugs the hell outta me -

i hate it also at gold gym when fools take the squat racks to do pushups and all this other stupid shit that they do where their 3 friends take up 2 squat racks for 30 + minutes

:werd:
I usually wait till each member of the posse brings out their cell phone to see if they've received what appears to be an important text message. Swoop in to do your set, and if the guys are younger, they generally wait till you're done to get back to 'sculpting' their guns. :banghead:

j.garner
03-19-2009, 12:41 PM
haha now that you mention it, they always seem to be looking at there cell phones. I mean its the gym get in and get out.

GQBalla
03-19-2009, 12:49 PM
theres a group that does it at northland golds. I hate them!!! than they take their dumbells and swing them two handed from bottom left to top right, ( i forget what those are called)

btw i look at my blackberry when im at the gym, but i dont waste time. i do it during rest between sets.

if theres anyone that wants to work in while im resting im 100 percent cool with that.

kutt3r
03-20-2009, 05:48 PM
Phones should not be allow in the gym, thats why VM was created.

Guidos doing curls in the racks... If you cannot pick the weight up from the ground you have no business curling it.

I don't think this topic will ever get old...

Oz-
03-30-2009, 09:37 AM
I need to add to this list.

- If you are doing barbell rows with less then 3 wheels per side, you don't need to use the power rack.

- If you are deadlifting off the floor, you do not need to use the power rack.

bulaian
03-30-2009, 09:44 AM
Originally posted by Oz-
I need to add to this list.

- If you are doing barbell rows with less then 3 wheels per side, you don't need to use the power rack.

- If you are deadlifting off the floor, you do not need to use the power rack.

:werd: There's only one power rack at my gym and it's always being used by retards barbell curling ~95 lbs.

We have barbells that go up to like 110 or 115 on the barbell rack :facepalm:

Neil4Speed
03-30-2009, 10:07 AM
Originally posted by GQBalla

btw i look at my blackberry when im at the gym, but i dont waste time. i do it during rest between sets.

I do this occasionally too, I would never talk to anyone but just send off a quick test message if I had to.

GQBalla
03-30-2009, 10:12 AM
Originally posted by kutt3r
Phones should not be allow in the gym, thats why VM was created.

Guidos doing curls in the racks... If you cannot pick the weight up from the ground you have no business curling it.

I don't think this topic will ever get old...

but i look more cool when i look at my berry.... lol mine glances are quick, i barely talk on my personal cell phone anyway its all just pinning

ZorroAMG
03-30-2009, 10:28 AM
I use my iPhone all the time in the gym....to other people I must look like such a douche but I am not texting or taking calls, I am using it as an iPod and I have the Gym Buddy app that I use to record my progress/sets/weights

I LOVE that app! :)

We don't even HAVE a true power rack at my gym, it's SO lame...

GQBalla
03-30-2009, 11:09 AM
that app does sound pretty handy

right now i just keep track in my head

lint
03-30-2009, 11:23 AM
If I were to do curls, I'd be the only asshole doing them in my power rack. Beauty of having one at home.

I haven't used the gym buddy app, but have been using iStayFit for the past 2 months or so. They've released a few revisions already and so far it's been great. You can track your body weight, create workout routines, create and modify exercises, and they've just added a 1RM calc based on rep/weight and also graphs for volume. You can also email your data to yourself as a csv for further charting.

ZorroAMG
03-30-2009, 11:30 AM
Yeah, gym buddy allows emailing your data, has timers for rest periods etc, you can create your own exercises that aren't on the list, create full routines...it's got a great interface thats why I like it. I've never tried iStayFit...I'll have to check it out!

Wildcat
03-30-2009, 11:37 AM
Here's what i hate at the gym;

1) People who use two pieces of equipment that are on the other side of the gym or are completely unrelated. FUCK YOU. Using two cables to do flys - i get. Super setting dumbells and barbells on a single bench - i get. Super setting lat pull downs to abs to a bench press across the gym - i don't get... epic fail, GTFO.

2) People who don't put weights back where they belong, this is a given.

3) People who take 5min breaks in between sets, be it txting, talking, or more commonly dozing off into space. I hate this even more if you're standing by the machine and they still don't realize that you're waiting for it.

4) Groups of 3 or more. This is usually young guidos who just end up talking, txting, taking up the equipment and accomplishing JACK SHIT.

5) Jeans. Anyone working out in jeans and loafers is a douche to the highest degree. Get a fucking clue. This drives me up the wall for some reason. Its the only rant that doesn't directly effect my time in the gym.

kerry
03-30-2009, 12:01 PM
Originally posted by ZorroAMG
I use my iPhone all the time in the gym....to other people I must look like such a douche but I am not texting or taking calls, I am using it as an iPod and I have the Gym Buddy app that I use to record my progress/sets/weights

I LOVE that app! :)

We don't even HAVE a true power rack at my gym, it's SO lame...

I'm with you Zorro. I'm always on my iPhone at the gym. I know you can rock airplane mode, but most of the time when I walk in the gym I'm not thinking about my phone. I'm thinking about my iPod playlist that I'm cueing up. I must admit I've received 2 phone calls in the gym, but there were conveniently made when I was doing cardio.

I have to get this Gym Buddy app you speak of. Are you in Van or is this an American iTunes app? I'm going to look for it as soon as I'm done posting this hahaha.

ZorroAMG
03-30-2009, 04:24 PM
I'm in Van....I like the gym buddy app but liked what I saw on the app Lint uses, iStayFit....canadian app store for both....mine was $3, Lint's is $6

Impreza
03-30-2009, 04:46 PM
I use my blackberry a lot in the gym as well. I use it for the same purposes at ZorroAMG and Lint (and also use it for mp3s), it is very useful and way better than good old pen and paper method. It really is super helpful in keeping track of my progress.

max_boost
03-30-2009, 06:46 PM
Found a wicked deal on a like new Northern Lights Power Rack with all the fixings. Going to pick it up tomorrow. Now I have a gym membership and a gym in the basement. No more excuses. I want to be strong! :whipped: :D

roopi
04-01-2009, 08:32 PM
Originally posted by max_boost
Found a wicked deal on a like new Northern Lights Power Rack with all the fixings. Going to pick it up tomorrow. Now I have a gym membership and a gym in the basement. No more excuses. I want to be strong! :whipped: :D

Where did you find the deal on the Power Rack?

theken
04-01-2009, 08:38 PM
Wildcats post. I can't quote on my berry.
I set bent over rows with incline press. And pull downs with dips what's the problem there?

sxtasy
04-01-2009, 10:38 PM
hey guys i have been looking for a power rack for home, think this is a good deal?

http://www.usedvictoria.com/classified-ad/8618513

ZorroAMG
04-01-2009, 10:46 PM
That's not a power rack. That's a smith machine...it has guides/tracks to keep the bar going in a straight line....girly shit IMO.

A power rack is basically a cage to allow you to do heavy exercises safely....

http://www.titansupport.com/products/champion/champion_power_rack.jpg

sxtasy
04-01-2009, 11:02 PM
well i was thinking this Smith machine or Powertec Power rack, for a little more money. However, I have heard Body Solid makes a good product

max_boost
04-02-2009, 01:19 PM
Originally posted by roopi

Where did you find the deal on the Power Rack?

Check this.

All for $1K! OMG!

lint found this and passed it on to me :D

http://www.buysell.com/root/detail/Calgary/Fitness_Equipment/1085/71466423/I_HAVE_A_NORTHERN_Lights_squat_rack_and.aspx

lint
04-02-2009, 01:20 PM

Check this.

All for $1K! OMG!

http://www.buysell.com/root/detail/Calgary/Fitness_Equipment/1085/71466423/I_HAVE_A_NORTHERN_Lights_squat_rack_and.aspx

*AHEM* <cough cough>

Oz-
04-02-2009, 03:28 PM
Originally posted by lint

*AHEM* &lt;cough cough&gt;

Smoking deal. All I really need is olympic 45 lb plates for my sled, looking for anywhere from 45-270lbs worth. If by chance anyone comes across some smoking deals, can you please let me know.

Thanks.

Nusc
04-02-2009, 03:39 PM
Originally posted by Wildcat
Here's what i hate at the gym;

1) People who use two pieces of equipment that are on the other side of the gym or are completely unrelated. FUCK YOU. Using two cables to do flys - i get. Super setting dumbells and barbells on a single bench - i get. Super setting lat pull downs to abs to a bench press across the gym - i don't get... epic fail, GTFO.

2) People who don't put weights back where they belong, this is a given.

3) People who take 5min breaks in between sets, be it txting, talking, or more commonly dozing off into space. I hate this even more if your standing by the machine and they still don't realize that you're waiting for it.

4) Groups of 3 or more. This is usually young guidos who just end up talking, txting, taking up the equipment and accomplishing JACK SHIT.

5) Jeans. Anyone working out in Jeans and loafers is a douche to the highest degree. Get a fucking clue. This drives me up the wall for some reason. Its the only rant that doesn't directly effect my time in the gym.

Haha people at the gym wear loafers? Which gym is that? That's funny.

lint
04-02-2009, 04:04 PM
Originally posted by Oz-

Smoking deal. All I really need is olympic 45 lb plates for my sled, looking for anywhere from 45-270lbs worth. If by chance anyone comes across some smoking deals, can you please let me know.

Thanks.

Trying to get people to part out plates is almost impossible. Just keep an eye out on craigslist/kjiji/used calgary. Deals pop up, but you gotta jump on them

whiskas
04-02-2009, 04:34 PM
Originally posted by ZorroAMG
Yeah, gym buddy allows emailing your data, has timers for rest periods etc, you can create your own exercises that aren't on the list, create full routines...it's got a great interface thats why I like it. I've never tried iStayFit...I'll have to check it out!

Does it calculate warmup sets?

Right now I have a spreadsheet on google docs that I use on my iphone. It calculates what weights I should be using on my warmup sets based on how heavy my working sets are. Also tells me how much weight I should be loading on each side of the bar since I turn into a math retard when I workout.

roopi
04-02-2009, 08:37 PM

Check this.

All for $1K! OMG!

lint found this and passed it on to me :D

*AHEM* &lt;cough cough&gt;

Nice find. I've been looking for one as well but everything seems to be in the $700.00+ range in Calgary. Anyone seen anything for less in town?

ZorroAMG
04-03-2009, 01:26 AM
Originally posted by whiskas

Does it calculate warmup sets?

Right now I have a spreadsheet on google docs that I use on my iphone. It calculates what weights I should be using on my warmup sets based on how heavy my working sets are. Also tells me how much weight I should be loading on each side of the bar since I turn into a math retard when I workout.

I think it does but I'm not sure...I just warm up with weights at 40% my set weights...

As for weight per side, just type in the weight as how much you load up on one side...

ex:

You bench 205lbs...that means 80lbs per side....plus the bar weight of 45...so input just the weights....put in 80 x how many reps you do....

lint
04-04-2009, 08:45 PM
It's not a rack, but a whole lot of iron and a great deal for someone looking for a bench
http://calgary.kijiji.ca/c-buy-and-sell-health-special-needs-Olympic-weights-W0QQAdIdZ118556249

hassanc21
04-06-2009, 11:50 AM
Originally posted by j.garner
Is it just me or does it seem like alot of people use the squat racks and power racks to do bicep curls. This really bugs me when it is super busy at the gym say around 5 pm and im on legs day and cant do squats because someone wants to do 15 sets of bicep curls. sorry this is just a rant.

I was at Talisman on Saturday and the guy in the squat rack next to me was curling 115 but with the full momentum body lean back.
If you can curl the 115lbs, then more power to you. But there's nothing worse than seeing someone lifting a heavy weight with horrible form.

I do have my iPhone wth me in the gym for two reasons:
1. I get my workout and exercis videos on it from core performance. It's great because you can see what the proper form looks like on the workouts.
2. I run my own business and sometimes have calls I need to take. If so I find a quiet spot to take the call. But I do not answer calls that I don't have to.

lint
04-11-2009, 02:55 PM
http://calgary.kijiji.ca/c-buy-and-sell-sports-bikes-Squat-rack-with-bench-more-will-sell-separately-MUST-GO-W0QQAdIdZ120057396

guy is moving and needs to sell. c'mon beyond lowball

GQBalla
04-11-2009, 03:01 PM
at golds gym i found a new set of people that used the rack for their biceps.

not young guidos this time.

it was three middle aged men.

pretty funny when they can only curl 60 pounds with not that great form

roopi
04-11-2009, 04:08 PM
http://calgary.kijiji.ca/c-buy-and-sell-sports-bikes-Squat-rack-with-bench-more-will-sell-separately-MUST-GO-W0QQAdIdZ120057396

guy is moving and needs to sell. c'mon beyond lowball

I tried calling about the rack this morning and he already had someone coming to see it. Said he would call me back if it wasn't sold but I never heard from him again.

Darkane
04-11-2009, 08:43 PM
The other day this dude was doing dumbbell curls in the squat rack just for the mirror.

I had enough, so when he finished his set put the dumbbells down I put my box in the middle of rack and started warming up box squats.

Fuck it, No time to deal with that shit. He got the message real quick.

lint
04-14-2009, 10:08 AM
Originally posted by roopi

I tried calling about the rack this morning and he already had someone coming to see it. Said he would call me back if it wasn't sold but I never heard from him again.

Shit, I gotta do everything for you guys. Here's another rack at a decent price
http://calgary.kijiji.ca/c-buy-and-sell-health-special-needs-OLYMPIC-POWERLIFTING-CAGE-W0QQAdIdZ120496972

pinoyhero
04-14-2009, 10:58 AM
I agree with all your posts about wasting racks etc ... another issue ... most gyms need more racks. We only have 2 racks but ... 3 flat benches, 1 decline and 2 incline, 2 smith machines, 2 leg presses. All that not including the free benches near the dumbells ... ARGH!

lint
04-14-2009, 11:18 AM
I don't think I've been to a gym with more than 3 power racks. Most gyms cater to a different clientele

Oz-
04-14-2009, 12:44 PM
Haven't been there for over a year, but Pro Bodies has quite a few power racks, the half squat racks and even a monolift.

But like you said, different clientele is what they cater too. Most gyms would drop 500k for cardio machines with TVs built in, rather then 2500 for a power rack and Glute Ham Raise.

GQBalla
04-14-2009, 01:20 PM
*cough cough* eau claire ^^

benz_890
04-14-2009, 01:38 PM
i hate guys that do their set of like 5 reps, and take a friggin 15 MINUTE REST! AND THEY DONT LET ANYBODY WORK INBETWEEN! GET A FUCKIN LIFE AND SHARE THE FRICKIN EQUIPMENT U TURD!

now that thats out i wish i knew about those apps for iphone/itouch before i bought my ipood nano! :banghead: :banghead:

whiskas
04-14-2009, 04:00 PM
Originally posted by benz_890
i hate guys that do their set of like 5 reps, and take a friggin 15 MINUTE REST!

It's called a strength routine.

If you go up and ask nicely they'll probably let you in between their sets.

lint
05-04-2009, 11:37 AM
power rack for $200
http://www.buysell.com/root/detail/Calgary/Fitness_Equipment/1085/71758119/HEAVY_DUTY_BODY_BUILDING_cage_do_squats.aspx

liquidboi69
05-04-2009, 11:55 PM
^ thanks for the tip. I picked that up.

lint
05-05-2009, 08:44 AM
^^ :thumbsup:

ragu
05-11-2009, 11:24 PM
http://calgary.kijiji.ca/c-buy-and-sell-sports-bikes-free-weight-home-gym-set-squat-rack-olympic-bars-and-plates-etc-W0QQAdIdZ126928346

Just picked up the following in EXCELLENT shape:
1. Squat rack
2. Bench
3. Olympic bar and Preacher bar
4. Plate Tree
5. 250lbs of weights
6. Belt

Just gotta look for a deal!!
:clap: :clap:

nismodrifter
05-11-2009, 11:35 PM
^wow how did you manage that haha.
Perhaps the regular world is not familiar with the power of the almighty.................BEYOND LOWBALL

(say BEYOND LOWBALL in a loud movie commercial announcer type voice for full effect)

ragu
05-11-2009, 11:39 PM
To be honest, I didn't even offer anything. I saw the ad 2 days ago and I though 'meh w.e. its kinda expensive'.

Awesome guy, helped out with everything, I was kinda feeling bad cos it was too good of a deal.

lint
05-12-2009, 11:21 AM
^^^ that was an absolute steal, nicely done

lint
05-20-2009, 11:34 AM
another rack
http://calgary.en.craigslist.ca/spo/1179950202.html

lint
07-03-2009, 01:53 PM
Another great deal, dumbbells are 10, 30, 50, 70, 90:
http://calgary.kijiji.ca/c-buy-and-sell-sports-bikes-Northern-Lights-Weight-Set-W0QQAdIdZ139701399