PDA

View Full Version : Best luxury sports car up to $50k?

likwid
03-19-2009, 10:20 AM
Hey guys,

I will be in the market for a new luxury sports sedan very soon and have done some research, but would like the opinions of others as well. I am willing to spend up to $50k on this car, which will be leased.

Right now the cars that I am interested in are:

Mercedes C300
Audi A4
Lexus IS250
BMW 3 series

What are your thoughts on these cars? Right now I am leaning towards the Mercedes, as it has a lot of great features, and I really like the looks of the new ones. Also, I like having the latest gadgets and technology. I have heard BMW's and Lexus lacks in this area. Performance also isn't a huge deal. I would take a car with 220 HP with looks/interior over a 300 HP car with lackluster features. Anyways, give me your thoughts on these cars and if there are any major ones missing from this list.

Hakkola
03-19-2009, 10:27 AM
My thoughts are that they're not really luxury sports sedans.
That said, which bmw model are you looking at? I'm driving an 09 328i now, it's pretty nice, but I prefer the exterior and interior of the C-class, it is much nicer, I can't speak for the c-class handling though as I haven't driven it.

Another thing to think about is if you want an auto tranny, because the bimmer auto transmission blows, no pickup at all unless you put it into the manual mode, big delays in power delivery.

bituerbo
03-19-2009, 10:27 AM
Originally posted by likwid
Hey guys,

I will be in the market for a new luxury sports sedan very soon and have done some research, but would like the opinions of others as well. I am willing to spend up to $50k on this car, which will be leased.

Right now the cars that I am interested in are:

Mercedes C300
Audi A4
Lexus IS250
BMW 3 series

What are your thoughts on these cars? Right now I am leaning towards the Mercedes, as it has a lot of great features, and I really like the looks of the new ones. Also, I like having the latest gadgets and technology. I have heard BMW's and Lexus lacks in this area. Performance also isn't a huge deal. I would take a car with 220 HP with looks/interior over a 300 HP car with lackluster features. Anyways, give me your thoughts on these cars and if there are any major ones missing from this list.

The mercedes tops all in fit and finish, as well as ergonomics and driver comfort. Will this be a year-round driver? Mercedes is the only one that doesn't come with an AWD option. And these aren't luxury 'sports' cars, they are luxury cars, or luxury 'small' cars.

Luxury sports cars are the Audi R8, Mercedes SL55 AMG, BMW M3/M6, and Lexus... well... the IS-F is the closest they've got.

Hakkola
03-19-2009, 10:30 AM
Originally posted by bituerbo

The mercedes tops all in fit and finish, as well as ergonomics and driver comfort. Will this be a year-round driver? Mercedes is the only one that doesn't come with an AWD option.

AWD is over rated, just get good tires. I've been driving rwd MB and BMW's for the past 4 winters with good tires and haven't been stuck once.

BigMass
03-19-2009, 10:39 AM
you listed the IS250. Why not the IS350? It's within your budget

dimi
03-19-2009, 10:41 AM
Forget AWD and don't bother with a 3 series unless you can afford 335. I know you said performance isn't the main concern but when you take away the TT engine and the ZF tranny there really isn't much left, but that is my opinion. I drove a 328 and the GM tranny is awful, far from what I would call luxury.

Skip the IS250.

I love the exterior of the benz, but I am not too familiar with the other aspects of the car.

A4 was just redesigned so a 2.0T would be my pick :thumbsup:

2002civic
03-19-2009, 10:47 AM
I love my 08 A4, great looks, interior, handling and the ability to produce big power. Plus the dealerships are great which is different than MB and BMW from past experiences and yes that was a BIG factor in my choice as I hate the BMW dealerships in calgary and that stopped me from getting a 335.

likwid
03-19-2009, 10:47 AM
The Mercedes C300 does come in an AWD "4-Motion" model. This will be a year-round driver, and I don't like winter driving, so better handling/traction in bad conditions is also important.

schocker
03-19-2009, 10:53 AM
For AWD you could always go for a bmw 335xi, that is a tad over 50 though, or the 328xi is well below, the infiniti g37x would be a fine choice, or a audi a4 2.0t quattro.

berbatov
03-19-2009, 10:53 AM
The 3.8 Tech package GENESIS 48850

sCream
03-19-2009, 11:00 AM
Originally posted by bituerbo

The mercedes tops all in fit and finish, as well as ergonomics and driver comfort. .

Im going to have to disagree. Have you been in the other cars? In regards to fit and finish and overall interior, id say the Lexus wins in a landslide, but i guess thats just my opinion. And yes ive been in all the cars listed.

likwid
03-19-2009, 11:03 AM
Originally posted by sCream

Im going to have to disagree. Have you been in the other cars? In regards to fit and finish and overall interior, id say the Lexus wins in a landslide, but i guess thats just my opinion. And yes ive been in all the cars listed.

What make the Lexus' interior/features better than the others? I heard their tech (Navigation, interface, etc) lacks compared to newer cars like the Mercedes and Audi.

Eleanor
03-19-2009, 11:06 AM
What make the Lexus' interior/features better than the others? I heard their tech (Navigation, interface, etc) lacks compared to newer cars like the Mercedes and Audi. I think he was talking about fit/finish, ergo and driver comfort, seeing as that's what he quoted :dunno:

JordanLotoski
03-19-2009, 11:06 AM
Id say the c class or 335xi ...the IS is for commoners hahaha:D

Eleanor
03-19-2009, 11:07 AM
Originally posted by MIWYFSHOT
Id say the c class or 335xi ...the IS is for commoners hahaha:D Or for people who want their electrical equipment to work ;) :D

JordanLotoski
03-19-2009, 11:10 AM
Originally posted by Eleanor
Or for people who want their electrical equipment to work ;) :D

Yes and that too.

max_boost
03-19-2009, 11:48 AM
/thread

haha

Why do you think everyone has one? ;)

likwid
03-19-2009, 11:51 AM
335 is out of my price range with the options I would like.

96integra
03-19-2009, 11:54 AM
I'd take the A4 or even A6 if you can. Love the new look!

Proyecto2000
03-19-2009, 11:55 AM
how about the G37? Sure the resale value aint as great as a Lexus or Benz, but I personally think that its a great looking car with excellent performance.

However, if I where to go and buy a new car right now, my top 3 choices would be the #1 - C class, #2 - IS350 and the #3-G37

01RedDX
03-19-2009, 12:00 PM

Aleks
03-19-2009, 12:21 PM
3 series will be the best driving by far.
C class has the best looking exterior.
A4 has the best looking interior.
Lexus should be most trouble free, but it has the smallest interior.

max_boost
03-19-2009, 12:25 PM
Originally posted by Aleks

Wow. Totally agree haha

likwid, when spending $50K, you'll want the power. Used BMW's are worth looking into. Most come with certified series extended warranty and you still get the 4 year schedule no charge maintenance. Win.

Hakkola
03-19-2009, 12:29 PM

Like I said, if he wants an auto tranny it won't be the best driving, it will be one of the worst.

funkedelic2
03-19-2009, 12:32 PM
Originally posted by Hakkola

Like I said, if he wants an auto tranny it won't be the best driving, it will be one of the worst.

actually the steptronic on the 3 series is pretty good. 335i would be nice, if not maybe a fully loaded 330i would perfect. I love the look of the audi a4 but thats about all its got going for it other than fuel economy.

dimi
03-19-2009, 01:13 PM

The german ZF in the 335 is silk smooth and adapts to your driving style. Shifts just as fast as a manual would. In fact I would much rather have an auto w/ paddles than manual in a 335.

Like I said previous the 328 has a GM tranny so there is a night and day difference. It's too bad they should have offered it as a option at the least.

Hakkola
03-19-2009, 01:25 PM
Originally posted by funkedelic2

actually the steptronic on the 3 series is pretty good. 335i would be nice, if not maybe a fully loaded 330i would perfect. I love the look of the audi a4 but thats about all its got going for it other than fuel economy.

Not available in the 328, OP said he won't be buying a 335. I know the 328 auto tranny is a piece of shit, I've been driving with one evey day since November.

Originally posted by dimi

The german ZF in the 335 is silk smooth and adapts to your driving style. Shifts just as fast as a manual would. In fact I would much rather have an auto w/ paddles than manual in a 335.

I completely agree. I love paddle shifts, and I hear that tranny is pretty good.

JordanLotoski
03-19-2009, 01:26 PM

Not available in the 328, OP said he won't be buying a 335. I know the 328 auto tranny is a piece of shit, I've been driving with one evey day since November.

why didnt you cough up the extra loot and get the 335i....I have the paddles shifters in my 335i and its pretty decent. My 330i isnt bad either.

Redlyne_mr2
03-19-2009, 01:40 PM

What make the Lexus' interior/features better than the others? I heard their tech (Navigation, interface, etc) lacks compared to newer cars like the Mercedes and Audi.
That quality of the material, woods, leathers, interior components is so nice in the IS. I really like the Audi nav but it's tough to use and from what I've seen with benz their nav isn't the best either. The voice activation with the Lexus is great and the stock stereo is nice bonus. I'll have that IS350 quote sent to you later today.

blownz
03-19-2009, 02:00 PM

I pretty much agree with this 100% as well (although I think the new A4 and C Class are tied for exterior looks).

In that group, if you are looking at the smaller engines, I would totally go with the new A4. :bigpimp:

TorqueDog
03-19-2009, 04:14 PM
Originally posted by sCream
Im going to have to disagree. Have you been in the other cars? In regards to fit and finish and overall interior, id say the Lexus wins in a landslide, but i guess thats just my opinion. And yes ive been in all the cars listed. LOL are you kidding? The dash plastics felt woefully cheap in the IS. Lexus interiors on the whole suck ass, and I've checked out all the new ones.

My picks:

1. Audi
2. BMW
3. Merc

49. Lada

77. Lexus

Redlyne_mr2
03-19-2009, 04:37 PM
Originally posted by TorqueDog
LOL are you kidding? The dash plastics felt woefully cheap in the IS. Lexus interiors on the whole suck ass, and I've checked out all the new ones.

My picks:

1. Audi
2. BMW
3. Merc

49. Lada

77. Lexus

woah harsh lol.. i guess you and i are both a bit biased.

alpha_gangsta
03-19-2009, 04:47 PM
If you're just after the gadgets and features, I'd definitely do the C-Class and maybe the A4. I don't like BMW's interiors as much as I do the Mercedes and Newer model Audi's but I do prefer BMW for the actual driving aspect.

I really grew to like the new C-Class interior and almost pulled the trigger on one by I ended up going to BMW for the reasons mentioned before.

As for Lexus... It's a nice alternative to the Mercedes but sitting in both the IS and the C-Class, I just prefer the C-Class for interior.

berbatov
03-19-2009, 05:10 PM
I am interested in the 09 GS 350.

What about the ES series ? What are differences in between ES and GS.

canuckcarguy
03-19-2009, 05:12 PM
With the way prices are going, aren't you at all tempted to buy something a year or 2 old? You can probably get a 50% discount on some of this hardware if you're prepared to buy an '07 instead of an '09.

TorqueDog
03-19-2009, 05:26 PM
Originally posted by Redlyne_mr2
woah harsh lol.. i guess you and i are both a bit biased. I'm very critical of Lexus largely because their interiors have been a genuine let-down for me every time. Exterior styling, it is what it is, it caters to a demographic. Interior though, just blows me away that everyone says how great the interiors are, yet you could option up a Toyota and get the same interior feel (which isn't great either, if I'm honest).

People always prattle on at great lengths over 'interior' quality without ever being able to define it. Attention to detail is a big deal to me in a product competing in a premium segment, and I have a test for an interior's fit and finish. Take your fingernail and try to scrape it along various edges and surfaces in the car where a person's arms and hands and fingers might rest or touch.

I'm always able to find a bunch of high-traffic spots in a Lexus interior where I can get some of my fingernail to scrape off, most notably the GX SUV. Even in my E39, I haven't found a surface with a sharp edge like that. I've tried it on a ton of cars, sometimes you can look at it and see how out of alignment the edge is, other times you need to do the fingernail test.

It may seem like a silly requirement, but it really does boil down to the attention to detail in creating a tactile and comfortable environment. That, along with some questionable interior plastics they've been using (that grey-ish centre mass in the IS-F interior is dreadfully cheap in feel) has really hurt my view of what Lexus is supposed to represent versus what it is.

I'll give credit where credit is due, the exteriors on the IS series are stunning. An IS-350 in matador red mica is a damn sharp looking car. Put gunmetal wheels with a polished lip and you've got the automotive equivalent of panty-remover. It is a great looking car... but that interior... hurrrrrrgh.

[/essay] :D

psycoticclown
03-19-2009, 06:20 PM
Originally posted by TorqueDog
I'm very critical of Lexus largely because their interiors have been a genuine let-down for me every time. Exterior styling, it is what it is, it caters to a demographic. Interior though, just blows me away that everyone says how great the interiors are, yet you could option up a Toyota and get the same interior feel (which isn't great either, if I'm honest).

People always prattle on at great lengths over 'interior' quality without ever being able to define it. Attention to detail is a big deal to me in a product competing in a premium segment, and I have a test for an interior's fit and finish. Take your fingernail and try to scrape it along various edges and surfaces in the car where a person's arms and hands and fingers might rest or touch.

I'm always able to find a bunch of high-traffic spots in a Lexus interior where I can get some of my fingernail to scrape off, most notably the GX SUV. Even in my E39, I haven't found a surface with a sharp edge like that. I've tried it on a ton of cars, sometimes you can look at it and see how out of alignment the edge is, other times you need to do the fingernail test.

It may seem like a silly requirement, but it really does boil down to the attention to detail in creating a tactile and comfortable environment. That, along with some questionable interior plastics they've been using (that grey-ish centre mass in the IS-F interior is dreadfully cheap in feel) has really hurt my view of what Lexus is supposed to represent versus what it is.

I'll give credit where credit is due, the exteriors on the IS series are stunning. An IS-350 in matador red mica is a damn sharp looking car. Put gunmetal wheels with a polished lip and you've got the automotive equivalent of panty-remover. It is a great looking car... but that interior... hurrrrrrgh.

[/essay] :D

Bang on the money. I was checking out some of the Lexus's at the autoshow and their interiors just felt plain and cheap. Like the RX350 for example, everybody keeps telling me how amazing the interior is but when I was sitting in it... it wasn't anything special. Infiniti's on the other hand... amaaaaaaaaaaaazing interiors.

Anyways, I would definitely pick the C class but why don't you look at a G37 sedan or coupe. Sure they might not have the exterior styling of the new A4 or the C class, but interior by far is the nicest imo. Plus they'll offer you the best performance aside from going up to a 335i which you say is out of your price range anyways.

nightfx
03-19-2009, 06:42 PM
The new A4's are sick :drool: , either that or the C300 imo.

rp_guy
03-19-2009, 06:47 PM
CTS-4

sillysod
03-19-2009, 07:04 PM
The Mercedes C300 does come in an AWD "4-Motion" model. This will be a year-round driver, and I don't like winter driving, so better handling/traction in bad conditions is also important.

Actually Mercedes AWD is called 4Matic.
VW has the 4motion.

I have an A4 and have to say it's an awome car. I have the APR kit on it and the extra boost makes it a lot of fun.

I would suggest also taking a look at a fully loaded Passat CC (AWD 3.6L V6 280hp) $45,000.00

http://www.vwvortex.com/gallery/albums//Events/Industry/SEMA/SEMA%202008/041.jpg

http://www.vwvortex.com/gallery/albums//Volkswagen/CC/2009-Current/Gold%20Coast%20Design%20Study/001.jpg

TorqueDog
03-19-2009, 07:54 PM
The Passat CC with a slight drop in ride height would be sick.

Best looking Passat yet. Looks like a CLS from the side... and being compared to a CLS in looks is not exactly a bad thing.

cycosis
03-20-2009, 08:56 AM
C-Class!!!! I wish I had extra cash to go for the 300, the extra 28HP makes a difference for sure. The car fits amazingly for tall people, Im 6'5 and the head rest actually comes up behind head (not neck).

Exteriro is sexy no doubt about it. (Just dont go with the elegance package, $800 for the sport is worth it) You get the three spoke steering wheel, 17 spoke rims, all season sport tires, amg inspired bumpers, star in grill, and lower suspension.

Interior is equally sexy too. Materials are soft to the touch, no hard plastics. The comp is the middle of the spedometer is pretty helpful too and has some sweet features.

Only piss off is that the C230 didnt come with a ski bag or rear folding seats. thought that was kinda cheap of merc for a 41000 car.

Mitsu3000gt
03-20-2009, 11:35 AM
The Infinity G37 represents perhaps the best overall value in the under $50k segment. My second choice would probably be a new A4 with the updated 2.0T with the extra 50 lb/ft of torque. I love the way it looks inside and out too. C class would probably be choice #3, and last would be a 3 series because you can't get the 335i.

irs
03-20-2009, 01:35 PM
I looked at the A3 and A4 last night.
Didn't take it for a spin yet. I will taking it out saturday.
I am undicide between those to one has the dsg which is pretty sweet.

The A4 just has so much more to it. But I wish it had dsg.

The Infiniti is an awsome car! Great power, lot's of fun but you loose huge value and will be hard to sell.

If you are thinking about an Audi they are having a sale today (friday 20th) at Glenmore location. Just an FYI.

TorqueDog
03-20-2009, 02:58 PM
Originally posted by irs
If you are thinking about an Audi they are having a sale today (friday 20th) at Glenmore location. Just an FYI. Car dealerships are having a 'sale' every day. Just an FYI. Like when car dealers put balloons out on a Saturday... there's no special occasion, but if someone says "Are you guys having a sale?", the first word out of their mouths is "Yes!" (Assuming they're not retarded.)