PDA

View Full Version : training for weight loss and more

KBF
03-19-2009, 11:41 AM
okay, so I've been searching the threads trying to find something that relates to my quieries - nada. So, here goes my first attempt at a new thread.

I have been working out (seriously) at the gym for almost 6 years now (had a couple breaks in there - mostly when I went away on vacations in the first few years).

When I started I was very obese and wanted desperately to lose weight - not just for appearance sake but also because I had a good scare put in me - my Dad at 650lbs had a major heart attack.

I could barely even walk much at first so even though I was mortified for anyone to see me in a swimsuit I started with swimming because I figured it would support my weight and get rid of the impact issues on the joints. After a few months (and a small amount of weight loss) I felt motivated enough to start using a treadmill and got one at home. I walked for hours every day - I became obsessed. And soon between the swimming and the walking I was losing 4lbs a week on average. Then, I added some weight training because I heard that more muscle mass would help. I didnt lose weight any faster (in fact my weight loss came to a complete stand still) but my body started to look a lot better and I felt more capable of doing more than just walking and swimming, so I started using the bike at the pool as well. Six months and 40lbs lost found me at a complete stand still. Another six months and although I didnt gain any back I couldnt lose anymore, so I cut my food intake in half (looking back a poor decision) and the weight started coming off again but I found it really hard to do my workouts - I just didnt have any energy. And after a few months I stopped working out altogether.

I stayed with the low calorie intake and didnt gain any weight back, but didnt lose any more either.

Another six months and all the benefits (other than the actual weight lost) had gone. So, I rededicated myself to working out and joined a gym, got a personal trainer package (6 weeks). My trainer was dud, really. He would strut in front of the mirror and watch his own muscles as I worked out. He gave me a "program" and just left me to it. I tried, I really did, but I got frustrated with the lack of results. So, when the 6 weeks was over I gave him a piece of my mind. I continued to do my workouts (did lots of research and came up with my own workout routine) and six months later I had lost another 60lbs - I was stoked!

Then I took a Mexican vacation and gained 15lbs back over three weeks and was really disappointed with myself - it was mostly the booze on the vacation as I rarely drink alcohol when home.

So, back to the gym, working harder than ever but 1 year later I had lost total of 10lbs!

We went on another Mexican vacation (and I went to the gym religiously while there and took it easy on the alcohol) and someone told me about Disebsin and that I could get it in Mexico for cheap without a prescription, etc. So, I brought three bottles back with me. I put it in a drawer and left it there - I was afraid of all the negative things I had heard about it.

Another year of working my ass off literally and still only lost another 10lbs (certainly better than gaining but not enough). So, I dug out the Disebsin and started taking it. I would take 15mg every morning for three weeks then go off it for one week. During the week that I was off it I would take B12 injections (to stave off the ensuing depression and lack of energy). I had the B12 given to me by my doctor for recurring shingles - related to being celiac.

So, another year went by, working out hard at the gym, living a very active lifestyle, existing on aproximately 700 calories a day, and alternating between Disebsin and B12 injections. Again only 10lbs lost!

I watch the Biggest Loser religiously and there was a contestant who wasnt losing much weight because he wasnt eating enough and I thought that might be worth looking in to so I paid for the nutritionist package at my gym (again 6weeks). The first thing she said to me was that I was starving my body and so it wasnt letting go of the weight and I had to significantly increase my calories. By this time I had run out of Disebsin so I was no longer taking it. I increased my daily calories to 1500 with a lot of fear and anxiety but I didnt lose any weight. She kept telling me be patient it will come, your body just has to realize that you arent going to starve it anymore - but 6 weeks later the only result was a gain of 5lbs.

So, now I am still working out at the gym, 5 to 6 days per week (sometimes twice a day), and trying to maintain about 1500 calories per day (most often I end up with only 1300 calories in a day), and I still want to lose about 30lbs. I'm looking for something to help. I've read and heard lots about combining ephedra with my disebsin but not really sure, and I've also heard a lot about clen. I am not looking for an easy fix (just take this pill and all will be well). I know that there are serious side effects to using such things. I work very hard at the gym, I eat very well (healthy, try for a good caloric intake, celiac so almost no processed foods, etc), and I have lost a lot of weight, but I cant seem to get this last 30lbs off (and no I dont want to be unrealistically thin)!

Can anyone hook me up?

JAYMEZ
03-19-2009, 11:50 AM
You've never said your stats? And I really hope your not looking for a "hook up".

A790
03-19-2009, 11:54 AM
Lots of information, but not what we need.

Sex/Age/Height/Weight/Goal Weight

1,300 calories a day sounds like starvation. Your body is probably clinging to every calorie it takes in because it doesn't know when it's going to get a full meal. Eat.

Before ANYONE can help you, we need to know Sex/Age/Height/Weight/Goal Weight.

KBF
03-19-2009, 12:31 PM
Sorry, didnt mean to be vague, and no not necessarily looking to be "hooked up", really mean looking for info more than anything.

Stats:
I'm female, 46 years old, 5'1" tall, 155lbs, goal 125lbs.
If it helps I can post my info about what exactly I do for working out.

ExtraSlow
03-19-2009, 12:52 PM
I'm not a doctor or nutritionist, but your current stats sound pretty good. I typed your stats into the "ideal weight calculator" at http://www.web4health.info/el/ed-dia-weight-ideal.htm and it looks like you are within 20 lbs of your "ideal weight." But in all reality, you have to look at statistics like BMI, Ideal Weight etc as very rough approximations. They can't take personal body types into account. Nor do they account for people with above average percentages of muscle.

Maybe a healthier way to look at your newfound interest in fitness and lifestyle is to frame your goals in terms of strength or stamina goals. If you are a runner, maybe you want to have a certain 10k time as a goal. Or a certain bench press max, or something like that.
The number on the scale isn't really the best way to look at your health.

rx7boi
03-19-2009, 01:47 PM
Damn, not a nutritionist but after reading your blog, I'd have to say that you have ALOT more motivation than most people out there.

Hopefully someone can provide good info for ya!

kutt3r
03-20-2009, 05:40 PM
Originally posted by KBF
Sorry, didnt mean to be vague, and no not necessarily looking to be "hooked up", really mean looking for info more than anything.

Stats:
I'm female, 46 years old, 5'1" tall, 155lbs, goal 125lbs.
If it helps I can post my info about what exactly I do for working out.

Well one thing scares me.. you said gym nutritionist..gaining 5lbs confirms what I thought..

What was the break down of the diet? carb/pro/fat?
My guess is you should be around 1300-1500 cals, depending on your activity level.

What are you doing for workout and how often/when etc...

KBF
03-21-2009, 07:30 AM
You dont think much of gym nutritionists? I feel I was quite naive to believe that the staff at the gym actually wanted to help me. Now, I suspect that they just want to make money and dont care at all.

I dont know what the break down of the diet was, that was never discussed.

As for my activity level - what I do for working out, etc:

Mondays run 5K on treadmill, upper body workout (chinups machine: chinups and dips, triceps machine, biceps machine, pecdec machine, pushups, 5minutes on rowing machine), 30minutes on Eliptical set at random. Sometimes I will return in the evening and do another half hour on the Eliptical followed by 15minutes in the steamroom.

Tuesdays run 2miles on treadmill, ride 21K on Standard bike.

Wednesdays run 1mile on treadmill (at top speed), mid body workout (roman chairs, back extension machine, ab machine, leg raises with hip lifts, twisting windmills, planks), 30minutes on Eliptical set at random. Again sometimes I will return in the evening and do another half hour on the Eliptical followed by 15minutes in the steamroom.

Thursdays walk/climb 5miles on treadmill, ride Standard bike hills setting for 30minutes.

Fridays walk children to school (half hour), outdoor 5K run, lower body workout (wall sits, lunge walks, 3position squats, thigh machine), Stairmaster at fatburn setting for 30minutes.

Saturdays outdoor 2mile run, 1mile top speed run on treadmill, ride 21K on standard bike.

Sundays we do a family activity such as ice skating or bunnyhills skiing or swimming with the children.

As for my day to day life activity level - I am a hairstylist so on my feet all day long with my hands up in air (try standing with your hands raised in the air for one hour and get a feel for my 8 to 10hour days). I also have a very busy/active 6 year old, a mentally challenged 27 year old (forever a rebellious 15 year old), a large dog who needs lots of walks, and a husband who works 70hour work weeks (so do almost everything myself). I'd say I have a pretty active/busy life LOL!

ClearBluewater
03-23-2009, 11:06 AM
You are 46, don't think your metabolism will allow for much weight loss unless you stop eating.

JAYMEZ
03-23-2009, 11:10 AM
^^ Not true at all.

Khyron
03-23-2009, 08:50 PM
At some point genetics does play a role. I don't care how motivated you are, some body types will never hit the ideal 20 year old bikini body. Especially over 40.

And REST is very important - even on hardcore ironman training, you take at least 1 full day off a week, if not two.

And stress is a major weight contributor as well. Stressing about why you're not losing 10 lbs while having a super stressful lifestyle isn't going to help.

Try relaxing two days a week with NO cardio/weights and see what happens. Eat a bit more, no fastfood crap but don't be counting carrots/celery as bad either - eat what the body wants, have some lean fish dinners or some white chicken/turkey.

On the days you do workout, stop with 2-5K crap and start working up to a LONG 2+hour run once a week with two shorter 45-1:15 runs. Increase your volume 10% each week. You don't see many fat marathon runners (but they're out there - genetics is powerful). Bike at least for an hour or more, but less often - maybe 2-3x a week. Obviously back off if any pain occurs. IMO.

Edit: Oh and cut out the sprints. That does nothing for you except run the risk of injury. Worry about speed work after you're pushing 20 miles a week in total volume.

KBF
03-24-2009, 08:21 AM
Now that's the kind of help and info I've been looking for, thanks so much.

ClearBluewater
03-24-2009, 07:52 PM
Originally posted by Khyron
At some point genetics does play a role. I don't care how motivated you are, some body types will never hit the ideal 20 year old bikini body. Especially over 40.

And REST is very important - even on hardcore ironman training, you take at least 1 full day off a week, if not two.

And stress is a major weight contributor as well. Stressing about why you're not losing 10 lbs while having a super stressful lifestyle isn't going to help.

Try relaxing two days a week with NO cardio/weights and see what happens. Eat a bit more, no fastfood crap but don't be counting carrots/celery as bad either - eat what the body wants, have some lean fish dinners or some white chicken/turkey.

On the days you do workout, stop with 2-5K crap and start working up to a LONG 2+hour run once a week with two shorter 45-1:15 runs. Increase your volume 10% each week. You don't see many fat marathon runners (but they're out there - genetics is powerful). Bike at least for an hour or more, but less often - maybe 2-3x a week. Obviously back off if any pain occurs. IMO.

Edit: Oh and cut out the sprints. That does nothing for you except run the risk of injury. Worry about speed work after you're pushing 20 miles a week in total volume.

Agreed, about the first part anyways. Not saying you cant do it, but i wouldnt get my hopes up too high. How you treated your body until you started wrking out and eating healthy plays a major role too. As for cardio, try doing high intensity work outs. Go to the gym everyday, but try to never stay there longer then an hour. 30 minutes of weight lifting, which ever muscles u want to do that day (or 2), and then hit up 30 minutes or so of THT cardio. (Fast sprinting - jogging, and alternating those two for the duration).

kutt3r
03-25-2009, 06:35 AM
Originally posted by KBF
You dont think much of gym nutritionists? I feel I was quite naive to believe that the staff at the gym actually wanted to help me. Now, I suspect that they just want to make money and dont care at all.

I dont know what the break down of the diet was, that was never discussed.

As for my activity level - what I do for working out, etc:

Mondays run 5K on treadmill, upper body workout (chinups machine: chinups and dips, triceps machine, biceps machine, pecdec machine, pushups, 5minutes on rowing machine), 30minutes on Eliptical set at random. Sometimes I will return in the evening and do another half hour on the Eliptical followed by 15minutes in the steamroom.

Tuesdays run 2miles on treadmill, ride 21K on Standard bike.

Wednesdays run 1mile on treadmill (at top speed), mid body workout (roman chairs, back extension machine, ab machine, leg raises with hip lifts, twisting windmills, planks), 30minutes on Eliptical set at random. Again sometimes I will return in the evening and do another half hour on the Eliptical followed by 15minutes in the steamroom.

Thursdays walk/climb 5miles on treadmill, ride Standard bike hills setting for 30minutes.

Fridays walk children to school (half hour), outdoor 5K run, lower body workout (wall sits, lunge walks, 3position squats, thigh machine), Stairmaster at fatburn setting for 30minutes.

Saturdays outdoor 2mile run, 1mile top speed run on treadmill, ride 21K on standard bike.

Sundays we do a family activity such as ice skating or bunnyhills skiing or swimming with the children.

As for my day to day life activity level - I am a hairstylist so on my feet all day long with my hands up in air (try standing with your hands raised in the air for one hour and get a feel for my 8 to 10hour days). I also have a very busy/active 6 year old, a mentally challenged 27 year old (forever a rebellious 15 year old), a large dog who needs lots of walks, and a husband who works 70hour work weeks (so do almost everything myself). I'd say I have a pretty active/busy life LOL!

Ahh yes the gym nutritionist... lets take Gold's Eau Claire where a trainer said that a girl in my office should be doing a 50-60% carb/20% pro/20%fat... she was feeling lethargic and tired all the time.. I wonder why? If the break down was never discussed that scares me even more...

You are way over training for the calories you are taking in. Your training is all over the place, I see no focus to anything.

Always warm up, weights first, then cardio for fat loss. What sort of reps are you using.. let me guess 15-20? Drop it to max 8, you need to build some muscle to get your metabolism going again. No it will not make you big and manly unless you have an excess of testosterone in your system.

Bullshit to the genetics... at 46 there is no reason you cannot be fit, genetics is a cop out too much... there is nothing in genetics that says someone cannot be slim and healthy, its called hard work and good eating any trainer should be able to get any client to a healthy weight. Now if you want to be freaky big or freaky ripped then you can look at genetics.