PDA

View Full Version : eating big to gain mass

holden
03-19-2009, 02:29 PM
I know that if you want to gain mass, you need to be eat big... lots of clean calories, lots of protein, etc... especially if you're ectomorphic (which I am).

My question is how long after a workout does muscle keep repairing itself, or in other words, how long after a workout does one need to keep eating big for it to translate into muscle gains and not just excess calories.

I ask because sometimes I find myself in a situation where I workout on a given day, and then I'm not able to get back into the gym for a full week (due to travel, other commitments, etc.). Would eating large portions for 24 hours after my workout suffice? I would think it would be useless to keep over-eating 3-4 days after a workout, when all I'm doing is sitting in an office. Then again, my muscles usually don't start to get sore until 18-24 hours after a workout, so maybe the muscles are repairing themselves all week?

JAYMEZ
03-19-2009, 02:37 PM
I think there is way to many factors to answer this correctly.. It depends on your work out , how hard you worked out ect ect..

But sleep and proper nutrients will help you gain mass.. Hell when I bulk , I eat a crap load of peanut butter haha.

But... Summer is coming up , so I am cutting , I am on a bloody Broccoli diet. 8 meals a day , 2 hour spaces.

colt22
03-19-2009, 02:39 PM
take a shake with 40-50 g of simple carbs ( dextrose, even fructose is fine), and 35g of protein 30 min after working out.

after that just eat at least 7 times a day, spaced 2hrs apart, tricks your bodying into storing fat and leads to easier lean mass increases

dont worry about your muscles rebuilding, just eat often and stragically lay out your workouts.

holden
03-19-2009, 02:48 PM
Originally posted by colt22
take a shake with 40-50 g of simple carbs ( dextrose, even fructose is fine), and 35g of protein 30 min after working out.

after that just eat at least 7 times a day, spaced 2hrs apart, tricks your bodying into storing fat and leads to easier lean mass increases

dont worry about your muscles rebuilding, just eat often and stragically lay out your workouts.

Right, I get your points, but would you do this for the whole week?

In order for myself to gain weight, I need to really over-eat, past the point to where my hunger is satified. But if I worked out on a Sunday, and wasn't able to get back into the gym until the following Sunday, would it be beneficial to keep eating this way all week, or would just 1-2 days after I work out be fine. It would save me time having to prepare all this extra food.

Thanks

JAYMEZ
03-19-2009, 03:01 PM
Originally posted by holden

Right, I get your points, but would you do this for the whole week?

In order for myself to gain weight, I need to really over-eat, past the point to where my hunger is satified. But if I worked out on a Sunday, and wasn't able to get back into the gym until the following Sunday, would it be beneficial to keep eating this way all week, or would just 1-2 days after I work out be fine. It would save me time having to prepare all this extra food.

Thanks

Your going once a week or what? You need to still be active to gain healthy mass. You don't want to look like a tub of lard that eats to much... Just keep your diet clean and continue to eat a bulk amount of calories.

holden
03-19-2009, 03:07 PM
haha, no... i usually go 3 times a week... but there are many times where i find that i can't get back to the gym for 4 or 5 days, for whatever reasons...

thanks for the replies...

Darkane
03-19-2009, 04:10 PM
Yes.

Do this: www.fitday.com

Log what you eat. See what happens for 2-4 weeks. Adjust according to goals.

If you gain more than 0.5-1lb a week, scale back cals by 250.

Unless you're a total noob, gains more than that are gonna end up as fat.

kutt3r
03-20-2009, 05:55 PM
Originally posted by colt22

Seriously.......:facepalm:

I cannot say anything.... other than do not take or listen to this advice. The idea of a PWO is fine, but will be determined by weight not a random number....

Eat a surplus, work out hard... What Dark & Jay said.

KeepItGully
03-20-2009, 06:02 PM
Originally posted by kutt3r

Seriously.......:facepalm:

I cannot say anything.... other than

But... You did?;) :poosie: