PDA

View Full Version : Telus contract

calgarydub
03-19-2009, 07:13 PM
Can anyone tell me the specifics about someone taking over my Telus contract? I currently have 14 months left on mine and am sick of Telus, and their shitty phones. I would like to move to rogers for a number of reasons.

Anyways,

-Does the person taking it over have to take my number?
-Can they get a new number?
-If they are already a customer with Telus on a month to month basis (no contract) can they keep their current number?

What does it cost?

Are they allowed to switch the plan to something different (I believe I read on the Telus website you area allowed to switch two times a year before it cost money)

Why do Telus sales people lie to your face?

Thanks

Ajay
03-19-2009, 07:47 PM
The person who would be taking over your contract takes the number as well. You wouldn't be able to have someone take over your contract while you keep the number and move to Rogers. The number is technically Telus' phone number. That being said they wouldn't be able to retain their same phone number if they're taking over your contract.

You would be signing over your contract to them with your number and they could go about canceling their month to month service with no penalty.

If you cancel your service you still lose your phone number and wouldn't be able to take it with you to Rogers.

If I remember correctly it would cost about $25 to do a transfer of ownership to whoever is taking over the contract and they should be able to change the rate plan to whatever it is they want to go for.

calgarydub
03-19-2009, 07:51 PM
That's very good information, a lot more clear than the girl I spoke to earlier.

Can the person taking my contract at least change to a new number once they are owner of the contract?

This would make sense as I look at my telus mobility account.

Ajay
03-19-2009, 07:56 PM
After they take over the contract they can change their number for a fee. You still won't be able to get that original number back though if that's what you're wanting to do nor will they be able to get their old number back if they cancel their month to month contract.

Basically once a number is changed/canceled the old number sits in a bank for about six months before it gets released again.

calgarydub
03-19-2009, 07:58 PM
Exactly what I needed to know, thanks! :thumbsup:

ChappedLips
03-19-2009, 10:16 PM
Telus is garbage!

I'm going to cleanse the world of their filth...jk?

403ep3
03-19-2009, 10:23 PM
Umm there is a way to keep the number but it's a long and strenuous ordeal. I really don't think a rep will help you with that especially when you're leaving. Who knows though?

Tik-Tok
03-19-2009, 10:27 PM
Originally posted by Ajay
The number is technically Telus' phone number.

No longer true. The new laws state it's your phone number, and can carry it with you to a new provider.

I'm sure Telus will have some kind of retarded "fee" to do this though.

cosmok
03-20-2009, 09:38 AM
Minimum $20/month for the remainder of your contract. So you'd be looking at a ECF of at least $280 if you were wanting to transfer your number.

Ajay
03-20-2009, 02:49 PM
Originally posted by Tik-Tok

No longer true. The new laws state it's your phone number, and can carry it with you to a new provider.

I'm sure Telus will have some kind of retarded "fee" to do this though.

It's your number if you're no longer under contract (i.e. month to month). You can take it wherever you want to go once you're month to month but if you're under contract you can't take that number with you even if you cancel thus it being Telus' property.

lint
03-20-2009, 03:39 PM
Originally posted by Ajay

It's your number if you're no longer under contract (i.e. month to month). You can take it wherever you want to go once you're month to month but if you're under contract you can't take that number with you even if you cancel thus it being Telus' property.

It's your number regardless if you're on contract or not. I ported my telus number to fido when I had 5 months remaining on my contract. Fido handled everything. When I got my final billing with telus, I was billed the $100 TLC for the 5 remaining months on my contract.

When you sign a contract with telus, you are signing an agreement to use their service. You're not paying a rental fee for their phone number.

OP: if you want to keep your number, this is my suggestion. Pick up a pay and talk phone with telus. Call into telus and ask for a number change, that you would like your old phone number on the pay and talk phone. This is possible, the rep will need to talk to their support, etc. What they do is release the old number into the pool and then reactivate it immediately so that you can select it as the number for your new phone. They will charge you a fee for this (I think it's $25) since they consider this to be a prestige number. You now have a pay and talk phone with your number that you can port to rogers/fido/bell. Now when you port from a prepaid phone, you lose out on your existing balance. IE, if you had $50 credit on it, you will lose it. The way to get around this is to call telus and tell them you want to switch from pre paid to post paid on your new phone, but you don't want a contract, just month to month. Now when you cancel, you have no TLC to pay and any balance on a post paid account is refunded when the account is closed. Best of all worlds.

And yes, I've done each of these steps before with no problems.