PDA

View Full Version : "Winner Takes All" Decision Deferred

Mibz
03-20-2009, 01:42 PM
http://www.planet-f1.com/story/0,18954,3213_5077852,00.html

FOTA pointed out that implementing the change went against the FIAs own rules and so we get the standard points system championship this year. Woot woot.

"On March 17, the FIA World Motor Sport Council unanimously rejected FOTA's proposed amendment to the points system for the Formula One Drivers' Championship.

"The 'winner-takes-all' proposal made by the commercial rights holder (Bernie Ecclestone, who had been told the teams were in favour) was then approved.

"If, for any reason, the Formula One teams do not now agree with the new system, its implementation will be deferred until 2010."

rage2
03-20-2009, 01:44 PM
Way to confuse the fans. I actually saw a blurb on TSN talking about the rule change. Now they're going to have to do another one.

FIA, Mosley and Bernie just don't get it.

HHURICANE1
03-20-2009, 02:12 PM
I understand their reasoning but the implementation is stupid. The present easy to understand format could still be used but just increase the gap between 1-2, 2-3 etc. so a win gets rewarded more than being consistent like they want. With the way they want to do it it ends up like the stupid NASCAR system where you do not even need to win to be champion.

DJ Lazy
03-20-2009, 05:18 PM
Thank god... Some good news to end the week...

Boostn
03-26-2009, 10:13 AM
Originally posted by HHURICANE1
I understand their reasoning but the implementation is stupid. The present easy to understand format could still be used but just increase the gap between 1-2, 2-3 etc. so a win gets rewarded more than being consistent like they want. With the way they want to do it it ends up like the stupid NASCAR system where you do not even need to win to be champion.

Throughout the 90's F1 did have such a points system in place - 10 6 4 3 2 1. It was due to Schumachers dominance at the time which led them to lessen the gap between 1st and 2nd place so presumably he wouldn't run away with the title every year. I agree with FOTA, the best compromise would be their suggestion to award a 12 9 7 5 4 3 2 1 spread, that way while the winner has an advantage, there's still enough points to span at least up to 8 positions. These points are critical for the smaller teams as they compete with the factory squads. No way should a F1 championship be decided on solely by race wins. Neither should the trolls gold, silver, bronze medals suggestion ever be considered. This isn't the olympics! :rolleyes:

HHURICANE1
03-26-2009, 10:45 AM
Originally posted by Boostn

Throughout the 90's F1 did have such a points system in place - 10 6 4 3 2 1. It was due to Schumachers dominance at the time which led them to lessen the gap between 1st and 2nd place so presumably he wouldn't run away with the title every year.

Ya, I remember when that happened. Funny how if someone is good they need to punish them and try to bring them down. But when their brilliant ideas lead to exactly the scenario they wanted in the first place they find out it isn't what they really wanted after all. If they don't quit f**king with the rules soon no one will give a damn, the teams will take their ball and go play somewhere else. All the dumb shit is supposed to cut costs and make the "show" better but in the end all it does is confuse the fans and make it even more expensive because no consistency means huge changes to the car every year and higher costs.