PDA

View Full Version : Drove the Genesis 2.0T GT & 3.8 in premium

r3ccOs
03-21-2009, 07:45 PM
Yea, in my books Hyundai have finally done it

With both cars, the Chasis is wonderful, and the build quality is honestly as good as it gets..

I'm really impressed with this car, as was I with the Sedan. The Genesis really is like the G37, but with a little less bells & whistles, but I personally has the edge on build quality.

The G37 to me is a fabulous car, but has a "Japanese" feel meaning even like a Maxima or Altima it has that "light" touch to everything, from steering to even opening/closing the doors.

The Genesis's feel much more like a european car, with solid & chunky controls for the seats, doors, glove compartment etc...

The steering was very impressive, alot of feedback and just loads of traction on both cars.

Though the 2.0T was the GT, I never pushed the car to 'tell' the difference between the Bremo Brakes nor the LSD. Worth the extra cash? Not sure, defniately on track days, but will that ever be again?

They are impressive cars, and I was incredibly impressed with the 2.0T, reminding me instantly of the same type of power delivery of the VAG 2.0T... Globs of torque and great throttle responce at almost any part of the rev-band

The 2.0T doesn't have the strength of the Colbat SS Turbo, but being on a more solid chasis and RWD, it is definately liveable and has great milage figures.

For daily driving, I'd be hard pressed to buy the 3.8 but I do love the roar and the sheer power of that engine.

What I find really impressive is that you can get into the stanard manual 2.0T for 25K, and its really alot of car for that price. The 3.8 in GT trim, starts to get pricy, but even my buddy who has a 335, was second guessing his decision.

His quote was "this is a hyundai?" and "why am I paying this monthly payment".

In responce to that, I just said, its the entitlement to drive and look like a douche ;)

The 335 in direct comparison and according to him, was a complete different feel in chasis, but overall performance and handling abillities were quite close, and not one was anymore refined in its delivery.

I'm awaiting to see what options are available for the 2.0T, as should a simple Chip upgrade, such as the APR for the VAG, be available, I'd probably jump all over the 2.0T GT

The Cosworth
03-21-2009, 08:02 PM
where did you drive it? I am really wanting to check out a 3.8 coupe

911fever
03-21-2009, 09:51 PM
I found the 2.0 pretty thrashy near the redline.. wasn't very responsive, and I honestly wasn't that impressed. The 3.8 wasn't available when I went to testdrive... it was out on a testdrive haha

r3ccOs
03-22-2009, 07:55 AM
Originally posted by 911fever
I found the 2.0 pretty thrashy near the redline.. wasn't very responsive, and I honestly wasn't that impressed. The 3.8 wasn't available when I went to testdrive... it was out on a testdrive haha

You know, I didn't actuality rev it right to the redline as I heard about the protection system it has, and it seems like you're right, it powers out probably at 6100, nowhere near its redline, but really is that a problem? Reponsiveness, I put it right on part with the VW 2.0T

Xtrema
03-22-2009, 08:06 AM
I'll wait for mmc. I'm sure they will do a better interior once the initial R&D cost is paid by the early adopters.

berbatov
03-22-2009, 08:10 AM
mmm the 3.8 Tech SEDAN

loved driving it. Jim Mcleod from Precision Hyundai in the South at Glendeer Circle can give you a good price and good customer service.

Go see him / test drive his cars .

funkedelic2
03-22-2009, 08:47 AM
The 3.8 would be a great car, for the price you pay you get an amazing car. I would never trade it in for my 335i and be happy with it though! Thats a bit of a stretch

InLoveWitRSX
03-22-2009, 12:25 PM
Originally posted by 911fever

QFT.

When I put it near redline, the whole front dash started shaking/vibrating pretty badly. I don't know if it's a bad thing, but when I shifted it seemed that the engine didnt sound that healthy like the turbos kept running huge which made me chirp second everytime. - not sure if thats good for reliability or not down the road?

Other then that, definately a fun car and on my list.

Boost Infested
03-22-2009, 12:30 PM
I work at Precision Hyundai in the parts department... Come to us, i can refer you to a good sales person. If you need any performance parts for the coupes just come see me. :D

Jack