PDA

View Full Version : Mitsubishi Endeavor...needs premium gas?

freshprince1
03-22-2009, 08:21 PM
So the wife and I are looking at getting an SUV for the arrival of our second child.

I think Ive narrowed it down to a Mitsubishi Endeavor. ne question though, I have been reading reviews online, and have read that it needs premium gas. Does anyone know if in fact this is the case? And, another question, what - if any - effects on the truck will there be if I cheap-out and put in regular gas?

Any input is appreciated.

Thanks.

heavyD
03-22-2009, 09:58 PM
You can run regular. You just may not get quite as good gas mileage.

sr20s14zenki
03-22-2009, 10:01 PM
Its not just about gas mileage. If you run regular in an engine intended for premium, it will knock because of the higher compression ratio. Your knock sensors will then pull timing. Its not a good idea to do that.

badatusrnames
03-22-2009, 10:01 PM
I've heard that at our altitude, you can likely get away running regular instead of premium for NA engines... not 100% on this though.

sr20s14zenki
03-22-2009, 10:08 PM
Originally posted by badatusrnames
I've heard that at our altitude, you can likely get away running regular instead of premium for NA engines... not 100% on this though.

It could be feasible, the higher you get, the less dense the air is. The only thing, is that most veichles that use any decent efi system, have an atmosheric sensor to change things based on altitude....

YamahaV8
03-22-2009, 10:12 PM
Originally posted by sr20s14zenki

It could be feasible, the higher you get, the less dense the air is. The only thing, is that most veichles that use any decent efi system, have an atmosheric sensor to change things based on altitude....

Bingo

911fever
03-23-2009, 09:04 AM
Why not a 4Runner or a Rav4 (if you want something smaller?) Both hold their value better and drive much nicer IMO.

leec001
03-23-2009, 09:15 AM
Originally posted by 911fever
Why not a 4Runner or a Rav4 (if you want something smaller?) Both hold their value better and drive much nicer IMO.

Don't buy the Rav4, it is a piece of crap!

"The full-time nature of this system means you’ve always got all four wheels helping you out of whatever trouble you’re in the process of getting yourself into, unlike many competitive vehicles whose “too-late” systems often don’t react quickly enough. I took the Endeavor onto almost exactly the same stretch of Pacific Coast beach that, um, beached the Murano a month earlier, and Endeavor just cruised out, sans tow truck." The CanadianDriver

http://www.canadiandriver.com/2003/01/28/first-drive-2004-mitsubishi-endeavor.htm

911fever
03-23-2009, 09:41 AM
Originally posted by leec001

"The full-time nature of this system means you’ve always got all four wheels helping you out of whatever trouble you’re in the process of getting yourself into, unlike many competitive vehicles whose “too-late” systems often don’t react quickly enough. I took the Endeavor onto almost exactly the same stretch of Pacific Coast beach that, um, beached the Murano a month earlier, and Endeavor just cruised out, sans tow truck." The CanadianDriver

http://www.canadiandriver.com/2003/01/28/first-drive-2004-mitsubishi-endeavor.htm

how is the Rav4 a piece of crap?

Eleanor
03-23-2009, 09:45 AM
Wow, I never would've expected 10.5:1 compression on that vehicle :eek:

sillysod
03-23-2009, 10:05 AM

I had a Rav4 as a rental vehicle in Vancouver going to Pemberton. The roads were crap so I got the AWD one....

Well i got horribly stuck with one tire in an icy pot hole and the other 3 on solid ground. Absoultely terrible. Some guy in a AWD Caliber ended up pulling me out.

If you are going to get a Rav4, don't waste your $$ on AWD just get the FWD one, or better yet look at the Forester.

X_EVO_X
03-23-2009, 10:23 AM
You can run regular. It won't knock. 4 people here drive them as demos and they run fine on regular. It will get a bit better performance on premium, but barely noticeable.

heavyD
03-23-2009, 10:27 AM

Drive one and you will know. I had a new RAV4 rental in Minnesota. The interior is horribly cheap and the ride is terrible. My lowered MR2 takes up road imperfections better. My wife's Outlander rides like a Cadillac in comparison. It's so surprising that Toyota sells so many RAV4's. I can only conclude that it's on name alone as there are far better alternatives that cost less such as the Forester, Outlander, Santa Fe, etc.

heavyD
03-23-2009, 10:29 AM
Originally posted by leec001

The Endeavor is a really underrated SUV. It's alot of vehicle for the money and it's a nice drive.

X_EVO_X
03-23-2009, 10:34 AM
Originally posted by heavyD

The Endeavor is a really underrated SUV. It's alot of vehicle for the money and it's a nice drive.

The full-time 4WD (mechanical system... viscous coupling) combined with TC is amazing in the snow. IMO it's much more effective than the newer electrical systems which are getting more common.

You can get a leaseback 08 SE for around 25 grand that has heated seats, moonroof, 10 year warranty, Rockford stereo with CD changer, Sirius, etc etc. Definitely a lot of bang for the buck. We sell hundreds of them and our customers are very happy.

Unfortunately they have stopped retail sales of the Endeavor for 2009, but we will still have a steady supply of used ones from the ongoing fleet sales.

X_EVO_X
03-23-2009, 10:37 AM
The full-time 4WD (mechanical system... viscous coupling) combined with TC is amazing in the snow. IMO it's much more effective than the newer electrical systems which are getting more common.

You can get a leaseback 08 SE for around 25 grand that has heated seats, moonroof, 10 year warranty, Rockford stereo with CD changer, Sirius, etc etc. Definitely a lot of bang for the buck. We sell hundreds of them and our customers are very happy.

Unfortunately they have stopped retail sales of the Endeavor for 2009, but we will still have a steady supply of used ones from the ongoing fleet sales.

yobi5888
03-23-2009, 12:06 PM
Are those 08 from the US, I saw a lot on Trader that comes from the US. Also, do you offer financing on those, what are the rates?

reno97637
03-23-2009, 12:15 PM
I had an Endeavor for two years before giving it back. Yes, you need premium gas. You will notice a BIG performance and mileage drop if you go with regular gas.
If the Endeavor is a going to be a daily vehicle, I wouldn't recommend it. I spent $80-$100 on gas each week (this was when gas was $1.10-$1.30).

X_EVO_X
03-23-2009, 12:16 PM
Originally posted by yobi5888
Are those 08 from the US, I saw a lot on Trader that comes from the US. Also, do you offer financing on those, what are the rates?

We currently have both U.S and Canadian models in stock.
And yes we do offer financing on all our new and used cars. When financing used we have to go threw the banks so the finance rate pretty much depends on your credit. But our Finance guy deals with approx. 15 different banks and will have no problem finding you the best rate for you

freshprince1
03-23-2009, 02:07 PM
Thanks for everyone's input. I went down and test drove one today with Paul, it drives great.

I've driven the Envoy, Trailblazer and Polit, and I like the Endeavor the best.

I wasn't aware they were discontinuing the Endeavor. Resell is a huge factor for me because I never really keep vehicles for longer than a few years. Do you guys think discontinuation of the model decreases interest in the vehicle?

X_EVO_X
03-23-2009, 02:12 PM
Not neccessarily. If you take away the supply and the demand stays the same, the value will hold up really well. Still, used leaseback Endeavors will still be widely available. Mitsubishi will continue selling the Endeavor to fleets.

freshprince1
03-23-2009, 02:44 PM
Originally posted by X_EVO_X
Mitsubishi will continue selling the Endeavor to fleets.

Thanks Paul, didn't catch that the first time.

X_EVO_X
03-23-2009, 02:51 PM
thats what we are here for
any problems or questions you encounter feel free to ask!
:thumbsup: