PDA

View Full Version : How far to go before I swap?

ByDefault
10-16-2003, 06:39 PM
Iv got really extensive plans for my 99' Civic EX Coupe in the performance catergory and things should get rolling sometime soon when I get my paycheck (now that my loans are paid, and I dont have to worry about other debt in the near future).

Anyhow, I had planned on going with the initial intake, exhaust, header, ect. But once I get beyond that into the turbo, and other more in-depth engine mods, people start suggesting I just get an engine swap.

So, my question: should I keep the car stock for a while, save up, and get a swap for a DOHC or stick with the stock SOHC and blow the $$ on mods now? I plan on hainv this car for a long while before it is replaced so, long run.. what do you all think?:confused:

Scat
10-16-2003, 06:51 PM
Save for a swap
perhaps a b16A with forced induction

Ben
10-16-2003, 08:33 PM
Definatly save up.

You said you plan to keep the car for a long while, in this scenario you can justify spending money on it, and so my motto for you would be:

Go big or go home :)

CRX-R
10-16-2003, 08:38 PM
definately go for the swap, and then maybe cash permitting go for FI for the next year :thumbsup:

rice_eater
10-17-2003, 12:01 AM
do this...do the basic bolt ons....then buy the other engine, build it up in your garage, when you are done THEN put it in the car...it'll save you days and days of downtime, cheaper shop rates if you dont want to do it yourself (really easy to work on for obvious reasons) and in the end you'll thank yourself...i spent most of summer taking the bus while i was rebuilding my engine for the turbo...

rice_eater
10-17-2003, 12:29 AM
the basic bolt ons will be transferable

CRX-R
10-17-2003, 12:31 AM
Originally posted by rice_eater

depending on the swap....

Ben
10-18-2003, 11:08 AM

Pretty pointless to do Intake, Header and Exhaust if you throw in a boosted motor no? 2 grand of wasted parts. Save your cah and do it at once, its the most economical, as well as its winter now, no point in moding a car now. Its save mode. Save anddo it in the spring.

Super_Geo
10-18-2003, 11:38 AM

Dude, change that avatar already... hahaha, I have no clue what it means but it's pretty damn disturbing.

three.eighteen.
10-20-2003, 12:56 AM
do this...do the basic bolt ons....then buy the other engine, build it up in your garage, when you are done THEN put it in the car...it'll save you days and days of downtime, cheaper shop rates if you dont want to do it yourself (really easy to work on for obvious reasons) and in the end you'll thank yourself...i spent most of summer taking the bus while i was rebuilding my engine for the turbo...

that's actually a really good call, but i plan on buying a beater next year before i'd even think of buying the engine