PDA

View Full Version : Heads up for anyone looking at new homes

2.0turbo
03-23-2009, 04:43 PM
Based on the new fire codes, which are being released at the begining of May, 2009, the prices to all single family home builders will be increased.

I work for a builder and in 1 week anything that has not gone to permits will be under the new code. There are many options that builders are looking at including removing all of their existing plans and creating new ones with no windows on the sides. The overall consesus seems to be installing commercial style sprinkler system into the homes provided the waterlines feeding the homes are large enough. If not, a pump will also need to be installed increasing the cost further. With the addition of either concrete board installed under vinyl siding or a concrete vinyl board (such as james hardi plank) inplace of standard siding. From the looks of things, this will increase builders costs by anywhere from $7,000 to $15,000 a home depending on what is already standard. Of course, builders will pass this cost along to new purchasers.

If your on the fence and think you might be wanting to buy something new, better get on it quick.

2.0turbo
03-23-2009, 04:45 PM
http://www.cbc.ca/canada/edmonton/story/2009/03/12/edm-code-changes.html?ref=rss

88CRX
03-23-2009, 05:15 PM
Builders aren't going to sprinkler detached homes :nut:

All they have to do is slap rated gypsum on the exterior walls that are adjacent to the neighbors house or not use a combustible siding material (ie: vinyl siding).

Builders will have to eat the costs..... cause shit all is selling right now as it is.

Xtrema
03-23-2009, 05:52 PM
This is long over due the way they pack the houses so close these days.

And yes, builder will have to eat the cost for at least for next 12 months until all of the houses under the old codes are off the market.

On top, by adding this cost, it may stabilized the fall of old houses as well. But I won't bet on it as the lay off train won't stop until 2010.

CUG
03-23-2009, 05:56 PM
This is a good thing. Maybe developers will quit making this city's suburbs look like a sardine packed shithole. What a fucking joke some of these "nice" communities are. When I can afford it, I'm rolling into pumphill or elbow valley

Masked Bandit
03-23-2009, 09:09 PM
Here's a little something I noticed, maybe I'm misreading this.

I've read that this new rule about the types of materials to be used on the exterior wall that faces another home only applies if the structure is within 1.2 M (4 ft) of the property line.

Well most single family detached homes in newer areas are ALREADY a minimum of 4 ft from the property line anyway so the new rules would not apply.

Am I missing something here?

88CRX
03-23-2009, 10:49 PM
Originally posted by Masked Bandit
Here's a little something I noticed, maybe I'm misreading this.

I've read that this new rule about the types of materials to be used on the exterior wall that faces another homes only applies if the structure is within 1.2 M (4 ft) of the property line.

Well most single family detached homes in newer areas are ALREADY a minimum of 4 ft from the property line anyway so the new rules would not apply.

Am I missing something here?

Virtually every house in all new communities are 4'-0" exactly from the side property lines. Then the rules apply.

My guess is that they relaxe the further the building is set back.... but developers built set back to set back every damn time.

I'll read up the actually code part tomorrow.

Masked Bandit
03-24-2009, 07:30 AM
Damn, wrong button.

Heff
03-24-2009, 08:38 AM
Originally posted by 2.0turbo
Based on the new fire codes, which are being released at the begining of May, 2009, the prices to all single family home builders will be increased.

Yes, that's the best way to move more inventory in a buyer's market.

benyl
03-24-2009, 08:43 AM
That 4 foot rule only applies to the foundation or load bearings walls, no?

Eaves and cantilevered outcrops seem to be much closer.

Thaco
03-24-2009, 08:47 AM
orrrrr, they could just stop trying to stack houses on top of each other.

Heff
03-24-2009, 08:54 AM
Originally posted by Thaco
orrrrr, they could just stop trying to stack houses on top of each other.

That would seriously undermine the starter-home builder profit.

Or result in an increase to the asking price for a home.

Masked Bandit
03-24-2009, 09:05 AM
Originally posted by benyl
That 4 foot rule only applies to the foundation or load bearings walls, no?

Eaves and cantilevered outcrops seem to be much closer.

Yep, you're right there.

I wonder what it would cost the developer to put an extra two feet on either side of each house. That should be far enough to make sure the overhanging parts of the house comply. If it were say an extra $5000 on the total purchase I would gladly pay it. I think having 12 feet total between houses instead of 8 would make a big difference.

blownz
03-24-2009, 10:49 AM
^ that would be great, but it would cost a lot. Basically they would have to make all of the lots bigger to fit the same house on it. So a block that say has 10 lots on it would now have 9. If they are 200k a lot the 9 lots have an extra 22k each to cover. A 10% premium on your lot price would probably be pretty significant to most people.

As for changes in the fire code, I am glad to see it.

kenny
03-24-2009, 10:55 AM
Originally posted by CUG
This is a good thing. Maybe developers will quit making this city's suburbs look like a sardine packed shithole. What a fucking joke some of these "nice" communities are. When I can afford it, I'm rolling into pumphill or elbow valley

I've always been under the impression that the city forces the developers to meet certain density requirements + amount of park space.

Eleanor
03-24-2009, 11:02 AM
Originally posted by blownz
^ that would be great, but it would cost a lot. Basically they would have to make all of the lots bigger to fit the same house on it. Or they could just make smaller houses :dunno:

(I know it's not going to happen, but come on, does everyone need 2000+ sq. ft. of home?)

blownz
03-24-2009, 11:35 AM
Originally posted by Eleanor
Or they could just make smaller houses :dunno:

(I know it's not going to happen, but come on, does everyone need 2000+ sq. ft. of home?)

I was going to say that, but regardless what people actually need, most are not going to want to build a smaller house just to be further from their neighbors. You can do that now in some places but how many times do you think it actually happens.

You could also build the same sq ft house narrower and just make it deeper. But no many people would want to sacrifice back yard space for 2 extra feet on each side of the house that is mostly not very useable.

jonnycat
03-24-2009, 01:31 PM
When I lived in red deer, we were in a new townhouse development and some kids started the last end unit on fire. It lept to the next set, which was minimum code away. It burned down 8 units in total before the FD put it out The fire was so hot it melted the siding on the homes across the back alley, which was well over 150' away.

Eleanor
03-24-2009, 01:36 PM
Originally posted by blownz
I was going to say that, but regardless what people actually need, most are not going to want to build a smaller house just to be further from their neighbors. You can do that now in some places but how many times do you think it actually happens.

You could also build the same sq ft house narrower and just make it deeper. But no many people would want to sacrifice back yard space for 2 extra feet on each side of the house that is mostly not very useable. I know, I'm just venting frustrations with people again. As usual.

I'm just glad there's going to be a bunch of cheap condos on sale pretty soon for myself :D