PDA

View Full Version : Good books you've read lately

Pages : [1] 2 3

lil*tymer
03-24-2009, 08:16 PM
Well i haven't seen a thread like this before, and im about to go to chapters with nothing in mind, and would like some idea's.

I just read Marching Powder, about an English guy who gets throuwn in jail in Bolivia. The book started off good, but it seemed to contradict its self about half way through, and went down hill from there.

kerry
03-24-2009, 08:21 PM
This month's Road & Track

Hakkola
03-24-2009, 08:22 PM
What genre?

Other than Tolkien books, the Dune series of books are the only novels that I've ever found to be worth reading more than once.

Tom Clancy novels are always interesting as well.

Stephen81
03-24-2009, 08:26 PM
I've been working my way through Daniel Silva's novels recently. His most recent is Moscow Rules (http://www.amazon.com/Moscow-Rules-Daniel-Silva/dp/0399155015)

w_man
03-24-2009, 08:34 PM
I have read almost all books from John Grisham ... always a fantastic read :thumbsup:

kerry
03-24-2009, 08:41 PM
This Is Your Brain On Music.

Great book.

Unlaced
03-24-2009, 10:54 PM
The Shack by WM. Paul Young is good, though on the religious side.

A Long Way Gone by Ishmael Beah is also a good book.

TYMSMNY
03-24-2009, 10:55 PM
The Art of War. :D

sexualbanana
03-24-2009, 11:08 PM
Depends on what you're into. The only fictional novel I've read lately were Endwar by Tom Clancy (well, not really anymore) and The Associate by John Grisham. Depending on what your interests are, I go through 3 or 4 books a month on all sorts of different topics.

If you're into MMA, Blood in the Cage by Wertheim is a really good book about Pat Miletich and the beginning of the UFC. Brought back some memories of my first time watching UFC 1 and 2.

If you're into music, there's Appetite for Self-Destruction bt Steve Knopper. Which covers the mistakes that the major record labels made with MP3s, Napster, iTunes, etc.

If you're into animation or movies, I liked The Pixar Touch by David A Price about the beginnings of Pixar as a computer hardware to a major movie producer.

Science-non-fiction: The Physics of the Impossible by Michio Kaku. It talks about the possibility of some of the technologies that science-fiction has created like starships, time travel, invisibility, etc. It's not a bad read, but can be a little confusing because of the heavy science involved.

superflychief
03-25-2009, 07:27 AM
I just finished the new Stephen King - Duma Key. Really good book. One of his best in my opinion!

Ajay
03-25-2009, 09:14 AM
There's a book by a person named Warren Fellows. It's about his time in a Thai prison. That is a real good read.

It really depends on what types of books you're into. I'm more into real life/biography books as opposed to novels. Right now I'm reading a book by Barack Obama called Dreams from My Father and it's fantastic.

Paper Fan is another one - it's about an Asian gangster from Vancouver.

911fever
03-25-2009, 09:19 AM
Any Michael Crichton book.
The State of Fear, Next, and he has a new one coming out (the one he was writing on when he died..)
I love Crichton, soooo good.

3g4u
03-25-2009, 09:23 AM
just finished
six bullets one chamber by sonny barger.

About a motorcycle club that gets in some shit with the local Russian mafia in Oakland. Pretty good read.

schurchill39
04-26-2009, 11:52 PM
I just finished Helter skelter not to long ago. Very informative but it took a while to get used to how it was written. Before that was the long hard road out of hell Marylin Mansons auto biography. Probably one of the best books I've read for sure

soupey
04-27-2009, 12:40 AM
call me crazy but ive been reading the twilight series with my gf, if u can ignore the sappy over descriptive parts about how awesome edward is, the books aren't half bad.

Thomas Gabriel
04-27-2009, 01:51 AM
Originally posted by 911fever
Any Michael Crichton book.
The State of Fear, Next, and he has a new one coming out (the one he was writing on when he died..)
I love Crichton, soooo good.

Prey is my favorite. I just finished Next and it was definitely my least favorite.

911fever
04-27-2009, 10:49 AM
Originally posted by Thomas Gabriel

Prey is my favorite. I just finished Next and it was definitely my least favorite.

Prey is really good.
did you hate or like Timeline?

Jlude
04-27-2009, 10:54 AM
Originally posted by 3g4u
just finished
six bullets one chamber by sonny barger.

About a motorcycle club that gets in some shit with the local Russian mafia in Oakland. Pretty good read.

I've read this as well.

Actually worked with a guy who's father was friends with Sonny.

3g4u
04-27-2009, 11:58 AM
Originally posted by Jlude

I've read this as well.

Actually worked with a guy who's father was friends with Sonny.

Right on. I have met him a few times at different ralley's, really down to earth guy. I like his books.

Thomas Gabriel
04-27-2009, 12:23 PM
Originally posted by 911fever

Prey is really good.
did you hate or like Timeline?

I liked Timeline. Lots of "oh shit how is he going to get out of this" situations.

dandia89
04-27-2009, 04:11 PM
a thousand splendid suns

Jlude
04-27-2009, 04:20 PM
Originally posted by 3g4u

Right on. I have met him a few times at different ralley's, really down to earth guy. I like his books.

I used to live in a town between Modesto (Where sonny was born/lived) and Oakland. There would always be a group of guys showing colors at any event in the towns... they all seemed pretty down to earth.

sk8r3124
04-27-2009, 04:29 PM
Based on DARKANE's recommendation:

yesterday I picked up

Built for show - by Nate Green

CMW403
04-27-2009, 05:36 PM
Originally posted by lil*tymer
Well i haven't seen a thread like this before, and im about to go to chapters with nothing in mind, and would like some idea's.

I just read Marching Powder, about an English guy who gets throuwn in jail in Bolivia. The book started off good, but it seemed to contradict its self about half way through, and went down hill from there.

your spelling of "lately" makes it look like you haven't been reading many books at all.

Darkane
04-27-2009, 06:25 PM
I read "Inferno" not long ago. It's basically a modern Take on Dante's Inferno.

Pretty entertaining actually :)

pinoyhero
04-27-2009, 06:28 PM
Survival of the Sickest ... a few slow chapters but a real interesting read.

Canmorite
04-27-2009, 07:25 PM
The Outliers by Malcom Gladwell. His '10,000' rule is really interesting.

Dumbass17
05-12-2009, 11:14 PM
any updates?

max_boost
05-13-2009, 12:14 AM
The only thing I read is Beyond and google for something I am searching lol

But if you want to get strong and I mean stronger than you thought possible.

Rippetoe -- Starting Strength 2nd Edition.

:thumbsup:

Jonel
05-13-2009, 12:29 AM
JPod by Douglas Coupland
Come On People by Bill Cosby

dino_martini
05-13-2009, 07:09 AM
I know it is fairly old, and a lot of you have already read it...but

1984 - George Orwell

We read it for English class..so...yeah.

HyperZell
05-13-2009, 07:49 AM
I am almost finished the third book of the Night Angel Trilogy. The books are "The Way of Shadows", "Shadow's Edge" and "Beyond the Shadows". Very cool Assasin's Creed vibe to it - the main character trains to be something past an assasin and is involved in a large-scale plot with a lot of cool characters and situations.

I only ever picked it up at first because of its cover:

http://www.fantasybookspot.com/jaytomio/wp-content/uploads/2008/10/n272613.jpg

mac_82
05-13-2009, 08:03 AM
Been on a bit of a sci-fi kick lately and picked this up:

Selected short stories by Philip K. Dick

http://www.fantasticfiction.co.uk/images/c0/c3360.jpg

Includes:

-Paycheck
-The Minority Report
-Second Variety (Screamers)
-We Can Remember It For You Wholesale (Total Recall)
-The Electric Ant

Mar
05-13-2009, 08:49 AM
I like reading books by A.J. Jacobs, I read one of his called "The Know It All" where he read the entire Encyclopedia Britannica A-Z and now I'm reading another of his called "The Year Of Living Biblically" where he lives his entire life exactly to the Bible, basically showing how stupid and contradictory it is. But very very funny.

http://a0.vox.com/6a00c22527df54549d010980b96ae0000b-500pi

http://partofthejourney.files.wordpress.com/2009/01/bc_0743291476.jpg

cressida_pimpin
05-13-2009, 08:58 AM
"Why We Buy" Paco Underhill

B18C
05-13-2009, 09:11 PM
A Long Way Gone is pretty good. Kinda slow at parts but gives you a peak into the world of child soldiers which is horrible and fascinating at the same time.

Malcolm Gladwell's books are good as well. Read Outliers a couple months ago which is really quite good. Just finished Blink a little while ago. It's not as good as Outliers but still pretty good. They are really easy reads and easy to get through.

lil*tymer
05-13-2009, 09:56 PM
Originally posted by stephen_haxton
I've been working my way through Daniel Silva's novels recently. His most recent is Moscow Rules (http://www.amazon.com/Moscow-Rules-Daniel-Silva/dp/0399155015)

Picked up his book secret messenger, pretty good thriller that seemed quite accurate. Also just read American Psycho which i thoroughly enjoyed.

JRSC00LUDE
05-13-2009, 10:32 PM
Penthouse Forum.

flipstah
07-21-2009, 04:47 PM
Ugh. There was a recommendation on a thread here somewhere but I can't find it now. :banghead:

It was apparently in the 'Top 100 Books to Read' and I can only remember certain parts of the plot. It's basically about the government and how flawed it is and how we should cherish our freedom... Sorry for being vague. It's not Fahrenheit 451 because I read that already (good book too! :thumbsup: )

If I can only remember the title... It's been bugging me because I want to read it!

Other books have been said like Catcher in the Rye, Night...

Read the Sherlock Holmes novels. They're pretty sweet :thumbsup:

mycroftxxx
07-21-2009, 05:09 PM
Any Robert Heinlein novel, sci fi that really stretches out and beyond the science confines.

my favorite of his is "The moon is a harsh mistress." read it and you may possibly Grok my user name.

+1 for the dune series however anything written by his son brian herbert is kinda /meh

Vagabond142
07-21-2009, 05:16 PM
I just recently dragged out Exiles: The Ruins of Ambrai and Exiles: The Mageborn Traitor by Melanie Rawn, by far and above *THE BEST* pseudo-dramatic fantasy I have ever read. Deep politics, sexual jealousy, magic battles, even a song that teleports characters around the world. Good good stuff :)

I also have been reading military oriented books, some good ones being Jarhead by Anthony Swofford, Generation Kill by Evan Wright, and Bravo Two Zero by Andy McNab (pseudonym). Jarhead is all about the 90% boredom that accompanies the 10% sheer terror of military life, Generation Kill is a very VERY interesting "outside look" at Force Recon Marines on the bleeding edge of the second Gulf War, and Bravo Two Zero is a gritty, down to the mud view of the first gulf war from a special forces (S.A.S.) viewpoint, INCLUDING being captured and tortured by the enemy.

I also pulled out my favorite sci-fi book ever (and fans of intelligent sci fi (Asimov, Clarke, Herbert, etc) will love it), Grasp The Stars by Jennifer Wingert. She only wrote the one book, ever, and it is brilliant. It takes place on an earth orbiting space station and is so twisty and intelligent that you can't help but applaud it as a one-shot of superb skill. I hope she decides to write more books in the future, because I will buy them :D

Jlude
07-21-2009, 05:25 PM
http://beforeourheartsexplode.files.wordpress.com/2008/07/slash_book_cover.jpg

Cos
07-21-2009, 05:27 PM
if your a nerd, some good ones are:

Reinventing Gravity
The Quantum Brain

toyboy88
07-21-2009, 05:30 PM
Bonk

Godfuader
07-21-2009, 07:15 PM
Originally posted by dandia89
a thousand splendid suns
Finished that a couple weeks back, Intense read!

now its:
Cracking the GMAT
+
McGraw Hill's GMAT

:zzz:

OCDP
07-23-2009, 01:24 PM
Scar Tissue by Anthony Keidis (lead singer from Red Hot Chili Peppers)

Not sure if you like that band, but he is one crazy mother fucker with an amazing story to tell. All about sex,lots of drugs, and rock and roll. Only book I've read more than once.

I highly recommend

Jlude
07-23-2009, 02:02 PM
Originally posted by OCDP
Scar Tissue by Anthony Keidis (lead singer from Red Hot Chili Peppers)

Not sure if you like that band, but he is one crazy mother fucker with an amazing story to tell. All about sex,lots of drugs, and rock and roll. Only book I've read more than once.

I highly recommend

If you liked that, you'll like "Slash" and "Clapton".

Same stories.. but great reads.

Bizzareo
07-23-2009, 02:41 PM
Shadow and Claw by Gene wolf (1st half of a 2 part series)

The colors of magic by Terry Pratchet (I almost died from laughing while reading this book)

Dragonlance series or The Forgotten Realms series are also some of my faves.

XylathaneGTR
07-23-2009, 03:56 PM
If any of you are into polisci type books, i'd suggest "The Shock Doctrine" by Naomi Klein. It's a study on the origins of "Disaster Capitalism" and the role that ultra-conservative economic practices (Chicago School) has played in shaping our society.

I also started "The Post-American World" by Fareed Zakaria for a class i'm taking right now (Engg481) and it's actually a pretty interesting book. It deals with the global powershift as "the rest" begin to rise and the world becomes less western dominated.

Another neat book I read almost 2 years ago now was "The Lucifer Effect" by Philip Zimbardo. Authored by the man who ran the Stanford Prison Experiment (google it) and provided expert testimony in the fallout of Abu-Grahib, it's a bit of a human behavioral study and deals with basically, why seemingly good people do bad things.

xDodge2x
07-24-2009, 12:55 AM
OMG HIGH TIMES MAG!!!
FTW

three.eighteen.
07-24-2009, 12:58 AM
If I Did It...the OJ book

max_boost
07-24-2009, 01:00 AM
5/3/1 by Jim Wendler

It'll make you STRONG haha

ABteg00
07-24-2009, 01:07 AM
Originally posted by soupey
call me crazy but ive been reading the twilight series with my gf, if u can ignore the sappy over descriptive parts about how awesome edward is, the books aren't half bad.

How do you read a book with your girlfriend?
do you actually read off the same book?
or one read to another?

Or are you saying you both read them separately?
/if you read it alone why would you feel the need to say that you read them with your girlfriend?.

Basically you have no reason to read them yourself unless you were spending time with your girlfriend while doing so, unless you enjoy to talk about the book together?.

All i am saying is unless you enjoy reading over each others shoulders or reading to one another ( which i think is a weird thing to do) there is no reason why you should have read these books.

Maybe I am over thinking your post,
it wasn't a half bad post

freshprince1
07-27-2009, 04:30 PM
Vampire Wars - 1000 pages, twisted, dark, violent, gore-filled. :thumbsup:

Malus Darkblade - 900 pages, twisted and dark. :thumbsup:

No Country for Old Men - Cormac McCarthy - interesting read.

The Road - Cormac McCarthy - Great Post-Apocalyptic book. McCarthy's story lines are so far off the stereotypical flow it's refreshing. :thumbsup:

I need to read some happy books now.

Tik-Tok
09-03-2009, 03:55 PM
Originally posted by freshprince1

The Road - Cormac McCarthy - Great Post-Apocalyptic book. McCarthy's story lines are so far off the stereotypical flow it's refreshing. :thumbsup:

Good book, WAY too short, movies coming out in October though.

Scar Tissue by Anthony Keidis - Awesome biography

J-Pod by Douglas Coupland - Usual Coupland novel, it's alright

Patient Zero by Jonathan Maberry - Really cliché characters, bad dialogue, but good storyline (for those who would like Terrorist/Zombie fiction) a true 'pulp fiction'

Jlude
09-03-2009, 11:17 PM
Just finished reading There's more to life than the corner office - Lamar Smith and Tammy Kling. Really, really good read for a young professional. It'll put things into perspective and helps with achieving total balance in your life, rather than being 100% focused on your career while everything else falls behind.

http://www.lasplash.com/uploads/gift_guide/roundup_0000000000008884_image_01.jpg

Stephen81
09-04-2009, 12:09 AM
Two of Ken Follet's books...

The Pillars of the Earth

and

World Without End

Both are historical fiction placed in 12th century England. Each book is about 1000 pages each and I can't say I have ever had such a hard time putting a book down haha. It's bad when you're sneaking ahead a few dozen pages because you're desperate to know how something turns out! :thumbsup:

Billy_Billions
09-06-2009, 01:57 PM
Just finished "World War Z". Finished it in 2 days. My wife is reading it now and loving it.

http://tavernafimdomundo.files.wordpress.com/2009/01/world_war_z_book_cover.jpg

Malcolm Gladwell's books are all interesting as well.

Anything by Chuck Palahniuk.

Jlude
09-10-2009, 11:50 PM
Just about to finish this tonight.

It was OK... gave insight into his life growing up and everything, but wasn't really that great.

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51daQH1dSjL._SS500_.jpg

Up next is Five Families and it's HUGE.

http://images.barnesandnoble.com/images/13790000/13792841.JPG

InLoveWitRSX
09-10-2009, 11:57 PM
the fountainhead

Disoblige
09-11-2009, 12:04 AM
The Alphabet of Manliness.

Maddox is hilarious as fuck! He just released his "Extended Edition" which is ~36 pages longer late August this year too.

JimmyJones
09-11-2009, 02:25 AM
Originally posted by ABteg00

How do you read a book with your girlfriend?
do you actually read off the same book?
or one read to another?

Or are you saying you both read them separately?
/if you read it alone why would you feel the need to say that you read them with your girlfriend?.

Basically you have no reason to read them yourself unless you were spending time with your girlfriend while doing so, unless you enjoy to talk about the book together?.

All i am saying is unless you enjoy reading over each others shoulders or reading to one another ( which i think is a weird thing to do) there is no reason why you should have read these books.

Maybe I am over thinking your post,
it wasn't a half bad post

you sir are a gentlemen and a scholar

t_soarer
09-11-2009, 09:29 AM
Deception Point - Dan Brown

almerick
09-11-2009, 10:31 AM
World War Z -Max Brooks
Rich Dad Poor Dad - Robert Kiyosaki
The Millionaire Next Door - Thomas Stanley & William Danko

I highly recommend the second.

ekguy
11-29-2009, 11:21 PM
Originally posted by InLoveWitRSX
the fountainhead

Anything by Ayn Rand is a good read.

asp integra
11-30-2009, 08:12 PM
living in australia at the moment so i have alot of free time and have been doing a fair ammount of reading:

-Slash
-Heaven and Hell by Don Felder (guitarist of the Eagles)
-Da vinci code 3 times, such a good book
-Angles and Demons, also good
-Digital Fortress, another Dan Brown, really like his work
-a few Clive Cussler actions, always an entertaining read
-The Firm, John Grisham, awesome
-The Godfather, everyone needs to read this atleast once! amazing!
-Pillars of the earth, Ken follet, another great read!

Dumbass17
11-30-2009, 08:42 PM
Hater by David Moody

Infected by Scott Sigler followed by the sequel
Contagious

is slash better than Tommyland? i found tommyland pretty boring..:dunno:

Rat Fink
12-01-2009, 12:10 AM

flipstah
12-01-2009, 12:40 AM
The Gum Thief if you're a fan of Coupland and his ridiculousness. :thumbsup:

teknical
12-01-2009, 01:10 PM
Dan Brown seems to be one of my favorites as well. I'm gonna give Deception Point and Digital Fortress a read.

I'm surprised no one has mentioned "A Lost Symbol".
Very good read! :thumbsup:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/0/07/LostSymbol.jpg

Neil4Speed
12-01-2009, 01:22 PM
Originally posted by asp integra
living in australia at the moment so i have alot of free time and have been doing a fair ammount of reading:

-Heaven and Hell by Don Felder (guitarist of the Eagles)

Really enjoyable book!

I finished reading Sly Moves by Sylvester Stallone, just a general lifestyle book, I am a big sly fan so it was quite enjoyable but I am sure there are better lifestyle books out there.

I also read Theo Fleurys biography, great book if you followed the flames during the end of the hayday and the young gun years.

Any of you guys read Seinlanguage by Jerry Seinfeld? Absolutely hillarious! I found myself laughing out loud the entire time I was reading it. Must for any seinfeld fan.

mazdavirgin
12-01-2009, 03:25 PM
Originally posted by almerick
World War Z -Max Brooks
Rich Dad Poor Dad - Robert Kiyosaki
The Millionaire Next Door - Thomas Stanley & William Danko

I highly recommend the second.

His advice has been demonstrated to be a sham. It is book with no sound backing principles behind the ideas. It might as well be a work of fiction.

Frank Herbert Dune Series - All in all pretty good
David Eddings Belgariad Series - Good fantasy novels
James Oliver Rigney Wheel of Time - Good fantasy novels

Jonel
12-01-2009, 06:20 PM
JPod & Hey Nostradamus - douglas coupland

currently re-reading the divine comedy vol 1 inferno.

pyroza
12-02-2009, 01:05 AM
Re read Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy for the billionth time

TKRIS
12-03-2009, 09:52 AM
Too many fiction authors are trying to pretend they're basing their books off science when they clearly have no fucking idea what they're talking about. And it ruins it for me.
Dan Brown is terrible for this.
Black Order, by James Rollins, was an interesting book, until the end when he misrepresented quantum theory as some sort of retarded hybrid of "What the Bleep" and "The Secret".

As far as really great book I've read recently:
-Demon Haunted World (Carl Sagan). Everyone should have to read this book in junior high. And maybe again in high school.
-Death by Black Hole (Neil DeGrasse Tyson). I'm not much of an astronomy guy, but this book just kicks all sorts of ass. Tyson is, IMO, the best science educator in the world. He can explain damned near anything, and do it in an entertaining way.
-Physics of the Impossible (Michio Kaku). Kaku can be a bit of a crank (or at least tolorant of cranks) at times, but this is a fun book to read.
-Rule of Four (Ian Caldwell and Dustin Thomason). Kind of Davinci Code-esque. Pretty decent read. It's about a the Hypnerotomachia Poliphili.

Crymson
12-03-2009, 10:03 AM
If you like interesting fiction based on science, read anything by Neal Stephenson.

Anathem is amazing, Diamond Age and Cryptonomicon are also fantastic.

snoop101
12-03-2009, 10:38 AM
I dont read books much and sometimes have a hard time getting into them, but right now im reading the hobbit and I love it. I know, I know its old school, but its an amazing story and gets you right into it.

teknical
12-03-2009, 11:00 AM
I really want to read the Hobbit! I tried to get a hardcover edition from Chapters but they never seem to have it in stock, may have to order it off their website.

l/l/rX
12-03-2009, 11:06 AM
Originally posted by teknical
Dan Brown seems to be one of my favorites as well. I'm gonna give Deception Point and Digital Fortress a read.

I'm surprised no one has mentioned "A Lost Symbol".
Very good read! :thumbsup:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/0/07/LostSymbol.jpg

I actually think Dan Brown is a shitty author. The Lost Symbol is a good example of how shitty his work is. haha thats just my opinion.

Stubby
12-03-2009, 11:18 AM
If your into fantasy books like the LOTR trilogy, Steven Erikson probably has one of the best series of all time. 8 novels, average 1000+ pages/book. Absolutely intense, very well written, best series I've come across.

Wilbur Smith has some interesting books too.

If your into the more factual/science/non-fiction, Richard Dawkins has some absolutely brilliant books. "The God Delusion" and "The Selfish Gene" are extremely well done and are at the top of my list for best non-fiction books ever written.

Mys73ri0
12-04-2009, 04:01 AM
Originally posted by Billy_Billions
Just finished "World War Z". Finished it in 2 days. My wife is reading it now and loving it.

http://tavernafimdomundo.files.wordpress.com/2009/01/world_war_z_book_cover.jpg

Is World War Z readable and enjoyable w/o reading The Zombie Survival Guide?

Billy_Billions
12-04-2009, 09:48 AM
I never read the Zombie Survival Guide and I enjoyed the hell outta that book. I'm actually planning to read the ZSG over the holidays.

almerick
12-04-2009, 11:22 AM
I'm hoping to pick this book up, haven't had the time lately though

http://heebmagazine.com/files/uploaded_photos/cover_626.jpg

n1zm0
12-04-2009, 11:45 AM
So upon looking at this thread, I started listening to the WWZ audio book during my commutes to work, i do read alot mind you (mostly tons of military autobiographies, mostly of seals/lrrp/recondo in the vietnam war, action-survival themed books i guess?) but i need something more sustaining than to listen to monotone am770 every morning for the hour commutes to work so i said what the hell, someone can read to me during the boredom lol

i'm about 3/4 through (ONLY listen to it on driving to work) and it's awesome , i love any zombie movie and video game, would've loved to have read it but i soon started recognizing some voices, the main 'reader' is luke skywalker (mark hamill), the guy from M.A.S.H, old guy from ocean's series carl reiner, it made it that much more interesting with the foreign accents and slangs etc

I read that the movie is in the works just as recently as this summer, i can't wait to see what they come up with for certain scenes, the female c130 pilot, yonkers, the firing lines etc.

I'd like to actually read ZSG/recorded attacks tho, that one just seems like a need to visually read (and keep in the back pocket just in case?... lol )

Billy_Billions
12-04-2009, 12:35 PM
Cool! I bet that'd be wicked to listen to. Cd I'm assuming?

n1zm0
12-04-2009, 01:29 PM
^ digital purchase mp3 format

tobslau
12-04-2009, 02:32 PM
I really enjoyed Freaknomics by Steven Levitt and Stephen J. Dubner.

Pop culture with economics :D

http://mrquale.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/05/91freakonomics.jpg

ekguy
01-30-2010, 06:21 PM
Has anybody read Blackwater or Licensed to Kill???

Both are examinations into mercanary forces and private military companies.

Thinking of picking up both after I'm done the 4 books I have waiting for me right now.

Dumbass17
01-31-2010, 11:32 AM
i'm currently reading World War Z actually, i'm about 1/4 done but meh, i am not reading it steadily enough to really enjoy it. i read maybe 30minutes every 3 days haha

Vagabond142
01-31-2010, 12:28 PM
Well, I'm only 30 years behind the curve, buuuuut...

http://nerdvana.freedomblogging.com/files/2008/12/wot01_theeyeoftheworld.jpg

Yes... I've FINALLY started reading the Wheel of Time series, after almost any friend of mine that reads fantasy has told me to read it multiple times. To prime for it, though, I read my two favorite fantasy books EVER, books 1 and 2 of Exiles (STILL waiting for #3 after about 17 years now o_O) by Melanie Rawn, for about the 8th time :P

teknical
02-03-2010, 10:34 AM
Currently reading Gomorrah:

http://img.amazon.ca/images/I/51kw1%2BK3GWL._SL500_AA240_.jpg

insomnia403
02-03-2010, 01:10 PM
I have'nt done much reading for my own amusement but i read the books " A Million Little Pieces" and " My friend Leonard" both are my favorite books to date! Also i read the book "Yakuza Moon" which was also very interesting!!

I Love biography/non-fiction books of these sorts, and i'd love to do alot more reading! Does any one have any other recommendations?

I'm going to try that "paper fan" book and see how it is. Also think i'll read the "Night Angel Trilogy" have'nt read much fiction but ill give it a try!!

ekguy
02-03-2010, 07:49 PM
Sorry to burst your bubble but A million little pieces was mostly bullshit. Author got called out for alot of it being fake and passing it off as an autobiography.

troyl
08-31-2010, 09:28 PM
Too Big To Fail: The Inside Story of How Wall Street and Washington Fought to Save the Financial System – and Themselves, by Andrew Ross Sorkin.

Amazing! Couldn't put it down.

TYMSMNY
08-31-2010, 09:32 PM
Freakonomics
Nudge
Eating Animals

All very good books as of late.

BigDannyCool
08-31-2010, 09:46 PM
Originally posted by Mys73ri0

Is World War Z readable and enjoyable w/o reading The Zombie Survival Guide?

you don't need to read zombie survival guide because it is what it is, a zombie survival guide.

I highly recommend Patient Zero and The Dragon Factory by Jonathan Maberry. The first book is about biological zombies and the second book is about genetic soldiers and such.

also great zombie reads:
Zombies : A Record of the Year of Infection

Day by Day Armageddon by J.L. Bourne

Manhattan
08-31-2010, 10:14 PM
Has anyone read 4 Hour Work Week? Whats it about and how is it?

Dumbass17
09-01-2010, 04:24 AM
i really enjoyed No Angel, it's the story about an undercover cop who penetrated (heehee) the Hells Angel biker gang and started enjoying the life and everything. I highly recommend It.

Also read The Beach, in about a day and a half haha, such a solid read.

Finished Into The Wild, a few weeks ago and am now reading my first Dean Koontz novel, Velocity, and can't seem to put it down!

Has anyone read The Motorcycle Diaries, about Che Guevera?

Unknown303
09-01-2010, 06:21 AM
Originally posted by Hakkola
What genre?

Other than Tolkien books, the Dune series of books are the only novels that I've ever found to be worth reading more than once.

Tom Clancy novels are always interesting as well.

The Dunes series is so damn good.

Other gooders include.

Chuck Palahniuk - Invisible Monsters
Dean Koontz - Brother Odd
Dean Koontz - The Husband
Dean Koontz - Watchers

Yeah I enjoy Dean Koontz. :dunno:

Cos
09-01-2010, 07:08 AM
Right now just finished reading:

- Culture Code
- The ridiculous race
- A few Andy McNabb books (Bravo two zero and more in the series)

Just started:

- 7 habits of highly effective people. Interesting but a little heavy for late night reading