PDA

View Full Version : CDMA cell phone question

Little Dragon
03-24-2009, 09:00 PM
I've got some concerns here...
I'm new to the CDMA network so bear with me.

I'm activating a Blackberry Storm to my Bell mobility voice plan. (non-data)

I'm just wondering if I will get charged anything to activate a data phone onto a non-data plan?

And I'm wondering if I have to bring the phone thats currently on my account with me when I activate the storm to my account?
If I do, this might prove to be a problem as I don't have it right now...

Anybody that can help ease my concerns would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks!

Also, I'm buying the storm off a guy from kijiji, so thats why I need to know this info and what I need to bring before I meet up with him tomorrow.

Thanks!

Clever
03-25-2009, 08:02 AM
Originally posted by Little Dragon
I've got some concerns here...
I'm new to the CDMA network so bear with me.

I'm activating a Blackberry Storm to my Bell mobility voice plan. (non-data)

I'm just wondering if I will get charged anything to activate a data phone onto a non-data plan?

And I'm wondering if I have to bring the phone thats currently on my account with me when I activate the storm to my account?
If I do, this might prove to be a problem as I don't have it right now...

Anybody that can help ease my concerns would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks!

Also, I'm buying the storm off a guy from kijiji, so thats why I need to know this info and what I need to bring before I meet up with him tomorrow.

Thanks!

I used to work for Telus and they pretty much share the same protocol, ask for the IMEI number of the Storm and call it in to Bell and find out if this unit is legit.

Once that is verified I'm pretty sure you can just head over to a Bell and get a ESN change done (the term they use to switch handsets) you will not need your existing handset. Most dealers will charge you a fee, but you might be able to work something out if you call Bell and do it through them directly.

As for the data part, you should be able to go on a pay per use basis since you are buying the phone from a third party, but then again that is how it was with Telus, maybe someone that works or is with Bell that can give you better info. Hope it helps, but you definitely should ask for that IMEI number, that is the first thing I would do.

Little Dragon
03-25-2009, 08:29 AM
Yea, we're meeting at a Bell store so I'll check it there!

Thanks for the help!

em2ab
03-25-2009, 09:02 AM
You can just use the Storm to dial 611 and ask the Client Care department if the phone is registered as stolen by anyone. If not, take the phone home, log into your bell.ca account and do the phone swap on your own account yourself for cheaper.

Little Dragon
03-25-2009, 03:36 PM
They charge you to do a phone swap?
Also, I heard they charge you to do a swap on the internet as well?

Heard it was more expensive online.

Amysicle
03-25-2009, 03:43 PM
I'm with Telus and I think it was cheaper to do a phone swap over the internet vs. having a person do it for you.

With Telus when I bought a used MotoQ to replace my LG Chocolate and swapped it online (for $10).

Immediately after that, they stopped all my add-ons (I was only able to make/receive calls. No voicemail, text, call waiting, etc.) until I set up a data plan. I couldn't have any of that back until I set up a dataplan and then re-did my extras. Maybe it's different with Bell.

em2ab
03-25-2009, 03:46 PM
They charge you to do a phone swap?
Also, I heard they charge you to do a swap on the internet as well?

Heard it was more expensive online.

$10 online, $25 on the phone. And I know that Telus won't let you have a data phone without a data plan so you better ask Bell if they will. Otherwise they won't activate it and the online swap will fail.

Little Dragon
03-25-2009, 04:50 PM
Alright, I'll verify with the Bell store when I go today.
Hopefully they allow it.

Also, any reviews on the storm? I've heard it was bad at the beggining but most of the problems have been fixed with updates?

Anything I should look for in particular?
I have owned a Blackberry Pearl in the past so I know the blackberry OS pretty well, just looking mainly for hardware issues the Storm might have.

Clever
03-26-2009, 07:57 AM
I saw that you already posted the Storm in the market place, did you not like it? I was thinking of getting one.

em2ab
03-26-2009, 11:31 AM
Use one before you buy, that's all I can say. It's a very different smart phone. I used one for 10 seconds before I realized how much I hated it.

Clever
03-26-2009, 03:10 PM
I have an Iphone for my personal use, is it that much different? Telus is offering us a pretty good deal to resign with them on our business account, so I thought I would ask, but I will stop by one of their dealers to check it out, thanks.

Little Dragon
03-26-2009, 03:48 PM
Nah its just that my plan doesn't really cover data so I have no idea why I bought a storm.

It was a cheap price though (nice guy)
I'm not using it to its full potential so I want to downgrade to something more simple and for my plan. But I have come to love the Blackberry OS (i've had a pearl before) and I want a curve/pearl or another smartphone.

Its a great phone for texting and typing. Clickable screen is a big bonus. I definately like it over the iphone for business use.

But if your more for games/apps then the iphone is the way to go for now...Iphone OS is pretty solid in that department.

Although Blackberry is launching an App store similar to Apples?

If no one buys/trades it I'll just keep it, pretty sick phone. Just out of my phone plan's league. lol

em2ab
03-26-2009, 04:30 PM
I want a curve/pearl or another smartphone.

Pearl for sale: http://forums.beyond.ca/st/256484/for-sale-telus-blackberry-pearl/

Little Dragon
03-26-2009, 05:34 PM
Originally posted by em2ab

Pearl for sale: http://forums.beyond.ca/st/256484/for-sale-telus-blackberry-pearl/

Need one for Bell.